Home Brew

All things outside of Burning Man.

Home Brew

Postby Drawingablank » Wed May 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I've always had great success brewing my own beer which is why baffled.

In light of my current fiscal crisis, I was ecstatic when two of my son's friends showed up yesterday and gifted me a 12 pack of home brewed beer. Free beer! And home brewed at that!

After proper chillling I started in on it tonight and can only wonder where things went awry.

1. It tastes sorta like beer. but more like beer mixed with a lot of water.
2. After drinking 10 of them, the alcohol content seems barely better than O'Doules.
3. It causes flatulence - not just a little either. The aroma is sort of like an open cesspool under a pile of burning tractor tires.

If I lived closer to the playa, I would bring a ton of this stuff to gift as a form of snark, but unfortunately I am on the East coast.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Home Brew

Postby Agaton » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Gentle Sir, it occurs to me that the bevrage in question may indeed have a considerable alcohol content, which after ten bottles could acount for you postin gon a public forum the olfactory impressions of your item #3. :P
"Farted in my wallet, now I have gas money."
--UnJonHarley
Agaton

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby lemur » Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm

drink up, and welcome to america!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Wed May 22, 2013 8:55 pm

I just made an experimental drink from my very sweet mead (home brewed), elderberry, blackberry and plumb juice, and everclear..........desert that kicks your ass!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Wait, so you're telling me somebody home brew, and it was crap?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Hmmm, maybe they forgot the fermenting part and just bottled it after the boil. :D

I think the worst thing I've ever brewed was a double hefeweizen that didn't ferment completely. Was pretty awful/sweet. Poured it all down the drain. :D
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed May 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Drawingablank wrote:3. It causes flatulence - not just a little either. The aroma is sort of like an open cesspool under a pile of burning tractor tires.

If I lived closer to the playa, I would bring a ton of this stuff to gift as a form of snark

:lol: :lol: :lol: i feel for your suffering

but this made me laugh a-plenty
oops i made a mistake! making mistakes is part of growing up....
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Drawingablank » Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Agaton wrote:Gentle Sir, it occurs to me that the bevrage in question may indeed have a considerable alcohol content, which after ten bottles could acount for you postin gon a public forum the olfactory impressions of your item #3. :P

Well, I could agree if I had posted it to an employers facebook page, but this is eplaya - And all true burners know that Wednesday is Socially Appropriate Fart Day.

Besides, a mere ten beers wouldn't have me doing anything I'd be embarrassed about.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby tamarakay » Thu May 23, 2013 2:19 pm

I just really don't know what to say except I wish I hadn't read this.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Drawingablank » Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 pm

tamarakay wrote:I just really don't know what to say except I wish I hadn't read this.

Sorry to upset your delicate sensibilities TK.

It really is in the WWW on Wednesday though.

Drawingablank

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat May 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Bobbin, thank you, reading this has made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry TK (still not able to stop laughing) really sorry but aren't you happy not to be sharing a tent with that guy??? I am!!!

Good to know that I am getting my money's worth out of the very expensive beer I buy. I would pay whatever's necessary to avoid that cesspool/burning tire experience.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Drawingablank » Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Well I have researched this a bit and asked them a few questions.

Since they used a canned kit (no brewing just heat up and mix) they were supposed to add sugar. But they didn't have enough sugar and went ahead anyway so the yeast didn't have much to convert into alcohol.

MyDearFriend wrote:Good to know that I am getting my money's worth out of the very expensive beer I buy. I would pay whatever's necessary to avoid that cesspool/burning tire experience.

Well I have to say that when I make home brews (usually IPA's) they normally taste better than most of the stuff you can buy at the store. But it's a lot of work so I don't make beer as often as I'd like to.

Drawingablank

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Speaking of homebrew. I looked and did not come across any active ePlaya homebrew threads. I hate to reinvent the wheel so I will just hijack this thread.

I've been all grain brewing for a few years now & plan to bring plenty (at least 15 gallons) Home to share with new & old friends. I was just wondering what experiences other home brewers have had, what works, & more importantly what doesn't. Do you cool your kegs or just tap it through a cooler? I'm going to give 3 gallon kegs a try since they are really portable, but the 5 gallon kegs are more convenient for larger quantities.

Any thoughts???

What would be your top picks for the Playa considering the hot days & cold nights?

---I just ordered a Bacon Smoked Red Ale kit so I will do my part researching/sampling :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:55 pm

FlyingMonkey 8) I am so happy for you, and I wish you all the best with your beer!

This camp:

is the BEST, and the eplayan you want to talk to about it is our dear friend Goathead. 8) 8) 8)

Goathead lives in Gerlach, so, is not to far from Home. Where will you be bring your kegs from?

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:FlyingMonkey 8) I am so happy for you, and I wish you all the best with your beer!

This camp:

is the BEST, and the eplayan you want to talk to about it is our dear friend Goathead. 8) 8) 8)

Goathead lives in Gerlach, so, is not to far from Home. Where will you be bring your kegs from?

MDF, I'm heading Home from Wisconsin. I'm not too concerned about hauling it 2000 miles since I have a bus & can dedicate the space for it. Mostly I would like to pick a few brains about chilling it & lessons learned.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't an active beer thread anyway.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby goathead » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:26 am

Do you cool your kegs or just tap it through a cooler?

In the past we tried to keep our kegs cool, damp blanket, out of the sun, and serve through a jockey box, "casket" :D . A few years ago we moved up to a small cargo trailer, insulated it with r-max and a refer unit on it. this year we are moving up again, 21 ft toy hauler that we will be converting into a beer cooler/bar. We have run from 7 to 15 taps at different times.

I'm going to give 3 gallon kegs a try since they are really portable, but the 5 gallon kegs are more convenient for larger quantities.

Save your 3 gal kegs for the really special stuff, I love them.

Any thoughts???

A pool table always goes great with a good bar.

What would be your top picks for the Playa considering the hot days & cold nights?

Consider making a few soda's also for the people who don't drink, or even for just a change of pace. Easy to make even on the playa.
Have fun with the flavors, it is TTITD after all.

I just ordered a Bacon Smoked Red Ale kit so I will do my part researching/sampling :D

That is a nice start. :D
Stop by HomeBrew4AHomeBrew, ask for goathead, don't give up, I can be a pain in the ass to find at times and our camp has grown a little over the years.
I usually avoid the bar when it is packed, just to hard for me to hear anything up there at times.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 am

Goat head! Good to see you. We missed getting to hug you last year. And we do appreciate the cream soda you guys made. Wonderful stuff!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tatonka » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:04 am

made some "new wine " with some marijuanna , taste was not good, but it was very good after effect. Woke up in the morning and I seemed to be floating on my bed. All body aches were gone ( normaly have many aches to deal with ) will try to fiqure on how to make it taste better.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby goathead » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:30 pm

tatonka wrote:made some "new wine " with some marijuanna , taste was not good, but it was very good after effect. Woke up in the morning and I seemed to be floating on my bed. All body aches were gone ( normaly have many aches to deal with ) will try to fiqure on how to make it taste better.

makes a better beer, use instead of or with hops. Or make a tea and add it to your finished product, flavor to taste.

Goat head! Good to see you. We missed getting to hug you last year. And we do appreciate the cream soda you guys made. Wonderful stuff!

I will be out there some place, the new trailer/bar should really be neat. :D
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:45 pm

(((Goathead))) can't wait to see you again! 8) 8) 8)

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:55 pm

I am very happy to report that after a couple of weeks of fermentation I just kegged the Bacon Smoked Red Ale & it turned out much better than I thought it would. Considering that it isn’t carbonated yet & it was around room temperature it turned out pretty good. Honestly, I thought this was going to be a gimmicky novelty beer that would be way over smoked & have an overpowering bacon flavor, but instead it was nothing like that at all. Its color is a nice dark coffee brown & the aroma doesn’t even hint at the flavors hidden inside. When you first taste it, it seems like a smooth brown ale. But after you swallow it you get a mellow smoke flavor followed by a lingering bacon flavor that, although lasts for 10-15 seconds, isn’t overpowering at all. it's perfect. This will be a great late night Playa beer. I may have to do a batch with habanero or ghost peppers just to add a little heat to warm the night.

Cheers :D
FlyingMonkey

Postby graidawg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:27 am

MDF I think we should consider moving to the other side of BRC, GH is just too far away for that drunken stumble home where we are currently (or perhaps we could get BDV to move to say 8 and c?)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 am

Or you could get more centrally located and camp across the street from us!!!

Less of a stumble to everywhere.8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Return to Open Discussion