Work in Progress 2013

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress 2013

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Keep your head up, and don't scrap the plan but table it for next year.

I don't know that it would have been better to take the beg forgiveness approach. The last few years it seems like rangers have been on the motorized PMV's pretty quick, and if it didn't have paperwork it'd wind up in D-lot. A friend of mine had that happen to his mutant vehicle, and it seemed like that ruined his whole burn. Spent half the summer and a small fortune on the project, and only got to use it on the playa for less than an hour. It's all about best use of time and resources for maximum enjoyment.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Elorrum wrote:not sure this will happen, but I want to make an offroad popcorn popper push toy. big kid size, pneumatic tires. It's a simple mechanism I think... might just canabilize a small one, lexan salad bowl. Come back childhood.

Aha! I was wondering why those were in the bar.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elorrum wrote:not sure this will happen, but I want to make an offroad popcorn popper push toy. big kid size, pneumatic tires. It's a simple mechanism I think... might just canabilize a small one, lexan salad bowl. Come back childhood.

well they were riffs on Playapoppa's name, but they got me thinking that it might be fun to make a few larger ones and walk along the street.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby MikeGyver » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 am

Elorrum wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

well they were riffs on Playapoppa's name, but they got me thinking that it might be fun to make a few larger ones and walk along the street.

From the image in my head (since I don't have one to tear apart) it seems fairly easy to build with the hard part being making it look like one and not just some welded metal.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:52 am

Mrpatatomoto wrote:From the image in my head (since I don't have one to tear apart) it seems fairly easy to build with the hard part being making it look like one and not just some welded metal.

It's always hard to get things to look right. I can't make something look like welded metal, so no problem there. I'll move this to the works not in progress section until it actually is something physical.
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:55 am

Elorrum wrote:
Mrpatatomoto wrote:From the image in my head (since I don't have one to tear apart) it seems fairly easy to build with the hard part being making it look like one and not just some welded metal.

It's always hard to get things to look right. I can't make something look like welded metal, so no problem there. I'll move this to the works not in progress section until it actually is something physical.

don't forget you have a friend with a shop and stuff, that can, or can show you how, to make it look like welded metal.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:01 am

In theory, I hate volunteering people to help others, in actual fact, I love doing it. Kilbuck has the sort of skills with surfaces that might be very useful.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:In theory, I hate volunteering people to help others, in actual fact, I love doing it. Kilbuck has the sort of skills with surfaces that might be very useful.

I agree killbuck is awesome with design, and materials. A steampunk popper would be a delight to see. I would try with wood, like the originals. I am not at a loss here, I am trying to say that any concern it will turn out as ugly welded metal in no way recognizeable as the little toy we remember, is not likely. It's just an idea. It's just a tucking idea about a tucking toy! Thank you kindle profanity minder. I'm gonna take a break now.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:36 pm

I'm sorry.

fucking, fucking--don't let the kindle have the last word.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 am

A steampunk version could be a lot of fun, though even if you go for a straight up copy of the original that would be delightful to see on the playa (I smile every time I see the chattering teeth, rubber ducky, Angry Bird, and other such stuff on the playa). I know how you mean about not-in-progress stuff, I hit a point every year where any new ideas that pop into my head have to stay on the back burner for some future year. A couple things never made it off the back burner from last year, and I've already bounced a few things around that there's no way I'll have the time to figure out, let alone actually do.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:52 am

Whew! I can happily say that we have finished filming the new Greeter's training video! It will now go through all the editing, sound, effects, etc...

Thanks to everybody involved that spent the weekend with us and worked (and played) so hard.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 pm

No pics today, but progress continues. I spent more time the other day working on a design for shirts and was tinkering around with the vinyl cutter. Not quit there yet, but getting closer to something I'm happy with. I also was able to take a class on a production laser that's available to use at my workshop. It's an even more awesome tool, but unfortunately carries an additional hourly fee to use. It'd come in handy for either paid gigs or when time is of the essence (since the other lasers get booked up a week or two out, and the production laser's much faster).

I also spent a lot of time over the last couple days doing an inventory of the parts I've cut so far, finished all the design tweaks on the parts I need to cut, and then laid out all the parts I still need to cut for the project. Talk about tedious, but it's an important part of the process. Our budget's really tight, and need to make sure we've got the most essential bits covered and that we're making the best use of the materials (getting as many pieces as we can out of each sheet of plywood, etc).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:17 am

Trilo:
my internal image of you is morphing into Fred McMurray and super bouncy stuff. All this shop time and marvelous invetion of your stuff............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:46 am

Fred McMurray? Wasn't that the dad from My Three Sons or Leave It To Beaver or something?

Ideally we'd have the kind of space where shop time involved just going to another part of the warehouse, or out back to some kind of shed. Alas, it's not, so it involves reserving time on the big machines and loading up the van and all that. It's been an unusual adjustment over the last few years, I'll say that much. But I love learning/using these industrial beasties to make creative things….
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Box Burner » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 am

My Three Sons

but he also did this:

And This:

Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm

[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Oldguy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Follow me boys!

[media]
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 pm

That's the guy alright, it had slipped my mind that he was in the Absent Minded Professor. For some reason I was thinking Don Knotts, but that's a whole different nutty professor kettle of fish (or porpoise with a purpose?) guy altogether.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:46 pm

No pics, but lots of work (as well as aches and pains). We had a great camp meeting over the weekend, and I got a bit more painting done. Then we had a couple campmates come over for a painting party on Tuesday night which was nice, shared a meal and painted a bunch of parts and generally had a good time. I also had a good chat with the campmate who's building some of the key art pieces and curating the museum/artifact aspect of the project. He has a lot done, has a bunch of great ideas, and is very excited about where things are all headed. He's a very longtime burner who designed Sol System's masterpiece Sol Henge in 2004, and had an honorarium piece in 2007. He's coming back to the playa with a vengeance after a few years off, this is gonna be a lot of fun.

We're also in the throes of deciding to do a fundraiser. I'll spare the details, and post about it in the appropriate place if and when the time comes. Blargh.

Today I finally got the chance to put our router through it's paces. One of the advantages of our new place is I'm able to set up a couple sawhorses and work out on the sidewalk, so I did just that. I got the altar done as well as a bunch of the boards for a couple of the wall units. Then I ran to storage, offloaded a dozen sheets of plywood and re-organized all the material in the van so I'll be able to better cover my work needs for the next several days. Tomorrow I plan on using the router on a lot of the panels I'd cut last week, then starting on Sunday I've got a lot of time coming up on the Shopbot. I got a lot of additional time booked over the next couple weeks, if I'm really lucky I'll be able to get the majority of the pieces cut by the end of June (then there's painting and coating, as well as a handful of other projects that are part of the installation).

Whew... I'm beat! How's everybody else's week going?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 am

Pulled old carpet and pad out of Tinymystics mothership and installed 1/2" horse stall mat for a nice, smooth floor with better traction.

Finished the bed that will have a 4" foam matress.

Added a bedside table.

AND.................. 8) :lol: 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maryanimal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:35 am

FIGJAM wrote:Pulled old carpet and pad out of Tinymystics mothership and installed 1/2" horse stall mat for a nice, smooth floor with better traction.

Finished the bed that will have a 4" foam matress.

Added a bedside table.

AND.................. 8) :lol: 8)

Sweet! She'll love it! You are good! 8)
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:18 pm

That rocks, Figgy!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 am

cool work FJ! you are a good man!

well, we got the Hofstove 90% installed, just a couple of pipe fittings and it's ready to fire up!!

disassembled for transport:

unloading:

setting ovens aside (with Looneytune) to get ready to cut wall for chimney:

cutting wall for chimney, from inside, standing on stove:

cutting outside:

hole cut and knocked out:

elbow on scaffolding, ready for steel mounts:

mounted

installing chimney (8" dia, 3/8" wall thickness):

tapping into place, after hook came off........oops:

fastening in place:
work done by highly trained proffesional:

done, yay!:

nice view to end the day:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Patsh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 am

Yggy... that's the most awesome stove I've ever seen! No other stove would do the Hof Justice...What a great accomplishment to have it installed up there. Can't wait to see it in place... less than 2 weeks! YAY!! :shock: :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 am

What was that amazing elbow? 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 am

it was a chip fan, for blowing sawdust and wood chips into the burner of a saw mill. it even says "Boston Blower" on the side.....*waits for Simon to suggest whom that might really be*.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 am

Great stuff, Yggy, I love the pics! And of course, highly trained professional - nobody's got more experience building and installing HofStoves ;)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby aserendipity » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Woww !
aserendipity

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow Trilo, your making mountains of progress. Those lasered tags look incredible!!! ill trade you a bottle of your choice for a couple for the collection!

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion