Things you assume...

All things outside of Burning Man.

It all depends...

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Box Burner wrote:so is this a good hare?

Image



Do they come in choclate?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think heaven is like an alpine meadow in the Rockies, only with all the pleistoscene mega-fauna intact. If you don't like that one, you get on a subway to the next heaven over. Only one stop away...
I"m still waiting for the report from my legs to confirm this...


Sol turns out extra crunchy.
[media]
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 pm

[media]
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Things you assume...

Postby knowmad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am

I am such a fool. I go around with the assumption that people are all capable of being compassionate.
...If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools...
R.Kipling
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Nipple » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

knowmad wrote:I am such a fool. I go around with the assumption that people are all capable of being compassionate.
...If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools...
R.Kipling


They are... it's in there. (I'm kinda Pollyanna about folks most of time myself.)
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 am

knowmad wrote:I am such a fool. I go around with the assumption that people are all capable of being compassionate.


I would hesitate to call you a fool for that, Knowmad, merely "incorrect". And I have the same problem sometimes. I still allow such people to surprise me.

There are just some conscience-free folk out there, and some of them work overtime.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Things you assume...

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am

Savannah wrote:
knowmad wrote:I am such a fool. I go around with the assumption that people are all capable of being compassionate.


I would hesitate to call you a fool for that, Knowmad, merely "incorrect". And I have the same problem sometimes. I still allow such people to surprise me.

There are just some conscience-free folk out there, and some of them work overtime.


well said.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25991
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Box Burner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
[media]


Excellent movie. Much better than the Secret.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.
User avatar
Box Burner
 
Posts: 5761
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Things you assume...

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

Savannah wrote:
knowmad wrote:I am such a fool. I go around with the assumption that people are all capable of being compassionate.


I would hesitate to call you a fool for that, Knowmad, merely "incorrect". And I have the same problem sometimes. I still allow such people to surprise me.

There are just some conscience-free folk out there, and some of them work overtime.

I think that compassion is a habit that can be encouraged by social climate and social structures. We're in a competitive culture. Just in my lifetime we've gotten worse, as far as I can tell, with the distorted myth of the invisible hand and all the rest of that social Darwinest crap telling us that we are building our best possible society with coldness, bitterness, vindictiveness (is that a word), pettiness and a bunch of other crap that we see modeled constantly in the various media...

I'm not going to start saying that burners are better than that--we all know that's not true. I will say that for most of us, the burn provides us a window into a better way of operating and gives us a little window into that.

I'd also say, that we're seeing a lot more compassion--from an overlapping group of people--with the aftermath of Sandy.

It's a sad and beautiful world.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Things you assume...

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 pm

Emoto-sensei's experiments were less-than-scientific.

Or at least, based on "modern" or current science. Which is still subject to review and revision.

Leading us to the assumption:
"I assume that current science has the ultimate explanation for everything."
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Things you assume...

Postby knowmad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Guess that what I was really driving at there is.
I chose to believe in the best out of people. By doing such I bring out the best in myself, enabling others to follow and walk forward with me. I believe this so whole hardheartedly that often I am blind to my own errors, and naivety. I can't expect them not to be like me or they will not, for the mere fact that expectations create the outcome. I also disagree with the concept that we live in a "Competitive culture" I think we endorse culture as we see fit, I chose to endorse a culture that shares it's resources, protects and cultivates a sense of abundance and a purpose for each member. there might be those that chose not to see this as beneficial for all, they may say that "It's just not gonna happen." But they live in their world and their culture and have their own life lessons to learn. I'm saddened by the ferocity they defend their selfish beliefs and wonder why we are not as passionately adamant about ours.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Things you assume...

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:11 pm

After almost 50 years as an odd duck, I have a lot of defenses...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37425
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AntiM, Elliot, Google [Bot], magicmarty and 2 guests