The Instagram Envy Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.

The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Wherein those of us without smart phones or tablet computers attempt to find some joy in our techless lives...

Etch-a-Sketch, anyone?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm

There's an app for that.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
User avatar
Bounce530
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: 6:30 & H
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm

My portable phone is 2 cans and a long string - sadly I can't find any apps for it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Drawingablank wrote:My portable phone is 2 cans and a long string - sadly I can't find any apps for it.


I believe that version comes with a Jump Rope app.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11441
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Savannah wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:My portable phone is 2 cans and a long string - sadly I can't find any apps for it.


I believe that version comes with a Jump Rope app.

And there aren't any good ring tones...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby wh..sh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Here's an insta-sketch of something I saw on my way to work. Except, it wasn't red or for that matter, a flower.

It so happens that flower is all I can insta-sketch. Sorry!

Image
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:19 pm

wh..sh wrote:Here's an insta-sketch of something I saw on my way to work. Except, it wasn't red or for that matter, a flower.

It so happens that flower is all I can insta-sketch. Sorry!

Image


Hmmm, I see four hearts or four butts or four Dudley-do-right chins or... Oh, c'om wh..sh what was the non-red thing you saw? or let's keep on guessing!


:oops: I just got a smart phone...I wish it came with a techie to show me how to use the $%#%ing thing! No luck, so far :(
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm

I think people should be envious of my $55 a month phone bill, my casio digital cam I got for $20 years ago that takes decent pics and has taken a playa beating for over 5 years without even putting it in a ziploc and still snaps!!!
OK so I had 2 and one of them finally died.......Still.....

Heck, gotta wait a few days to get pics on line but its worth it!

Fuck smart phones!!! I will not....be.....envious!!!! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!
User avatar
RedHeaven
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Nevada City California
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Wherein those of us without smart phones or tablet computers attempt to find some joy in our techless lives...

Or, you could consider the idea of radical self reliance, learn to use the internet, and find any number of desktop apps. Typing "instagram mac" into a search engine brought this page right up, which is a roundup of desktop apps for Mac users. I imagine there are similar apps out there for Windows users. Linux kids will of course probably have to go find a source code repository for something archaic and compile their own :)
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13755
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 pm

moonrise wrote:
wh..sh wrote:Here's an insta-sketch of something I saw on my way to work. Except, it wasn't red or for that matter, a flower.

It so happens that flower is all I can insta-sketch. Sorry!

Image


Hmmm, I see four hearts or four butts or four Dudley-do-right chins or... Oh, c'om wh..sh what was the non-red thing you saw? or let's keep on guessing!


:oops: I just got a smart phone...I wish it came with a techie to show me how to use the $%#%ing thing! No luck, so far :(

I see the flower part as a tattoo on an inner thigh......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27665
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm

trilobyte wrote: Linux kids will of course probably have to go find a source code repository for something archaic and compile their own :)

I don't think there would be the need (not that something so trivial as convenience would stop a Linux user from choosing the obscure route!), seeing as Instagram is native to Linux, at least on the Android. A quick google search tells me that all one would need is Chrome to get it working on practically any Linux distribution.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
User avatar
BoyScoutGirl
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm
Location: SD, CA
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Smart phones are pure evil! (Trilobyte, you're HIRED!!) You start yesterday! Yer gonna looove the skiing up here, ah the sunny Sierras...oh and Pandora is hired too :lol:

Why yes, yes Ygmir. I see that too...I think you're on to something.


Has anyone seen my straw hat? I left it over there by the, ooooh Noooo!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm

trilobyte wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Wherein those of us without smart phones or tablet computers attempt to find some joy in our techless lives...

Or, you could consider the idea of radical self reliance, learn to use the internet, and find any number of desktop apps. Typing "instagram mac" into a search engine brought this page right up, which is a roundup of desktop apps for Mac users. I imagine there are similar apps out there for Windows users. Linux kids will of course probably have to go find a source code repository for something archaic and compile their own :)

You really know how to suck the joy out of complaining. Can you ruin whittling, too?

Anyway, if you talk like that any more, I'm running off the lawn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby 5280MeV » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:17 pm

trilobyte wrote: Linux kids will of course probably have to go find a source code repository for something archaic and compile their own :)


Now why would we do that when we can just write a script to auto-filter the image in GIMP and fire up an instance on EC2 to host it?
Image
User avatar
5280MeV
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 pm

What are these "Line Ex Kids" and how may I adopt one?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Turtleburp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:00 am

I use lightroom which has a whole suite of settings to get the instagram effects - choose not to usually though.

Bollocks - just re-read that you said tech-less which makes the previous irrelevant - I have a cat for low tech fun, biting, very early mornings and rare (bloody rare) moments of affection.
Amateur shirtcocker

Simon's left sock and cat porn photographer

Image
User avatar
Turtleburp
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm
Location: Melbourne
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Barbie Holiday Village - Soap Supplied!

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 am

But not so rare bloody moments of affection?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Maybe a small catapult, some paint-filled balloons and a large canvas?
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16513
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Turtleburp » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:20 am

theCryptofishist wrote:But not so rare bloody moments of affection?


He has only made me bleed once but he and the bumbler actually have stand up fights!
Amateur shirtcocker

Simon's left sock and cat porn photographer

Image
User avatar
Turtleburp
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm
Location: Melbourne
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Barbie Holiday Village - Soap Supplied!

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Turtleburp wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:But not so rare bloody moments of affection?


He has only made me bleed once but he and the bumbler actually have stand up fights!



what the bumbler in "Dark Tower" is REAL?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3113
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 pm

graidawg wrote:
Turtleburp wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:But not so rare bloody moments of affection?


He has only made me bleed once but he and the bumbler actually have stand up fights!



what the bumbler in "Dark Tower" is REAL?

And a member of this board. This is the place to be.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Instagram Envy Thread

Postby Box Burner » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Savannah wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:My portable phone is 2 cans and a long string - sadly I can't find any apps for it.


I believe that version comes with a Jump Rope app.


Note that the jump rope app requires the installation of a heavier cord.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.
User avatar
Box Burner
 
Posts: 5770
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky


Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The CO and 3 guests