No Comfort Zone

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: No Comfort Zone

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:43 am

Savannah wrote:
ygmir wrote:a penis, has caused much strife to many of us having them, especially when using them for decision making.

Well, there's your trouble, Ygmir--you're supposed to use a penis for either propagation, puppetry, other various entertainments, or filling out trousers, not leading the 5th Battalion 20th Infantry Regiment or choosing between Wendy's Value Meals.

IT ALWAYS PICKS THE CHILI COMBO. :shock: DON'T LET YOUR PENIS PICK LUNCH.

*gets out "life calendar" and writes "doing it wrong" on each day, starting yesterday, back to July of 1972*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:50 am

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am

Eric wrote:There is nothing more amazing than seeing your friends becoming themselves

Thanks for that, Eric. Never really thought about it that way. I don't know any transgendered people, and it's something that I've never really understood (don't have a problem with it, just don't really understand it). However, to have it put that way makes it seem like something I should be more actively supportive of.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Zhust » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:58 am

jkisha wrote:It's only out of comfort zone when a man transitions to a women and then becomes a lesbian. :shock:

My friend did exactly that (re: Savannah's friend: "also"). At least for a while, then became more bisexual. And I haven't asked, but I'm pretty sure she considers herself polyamorous too.

The gender-binary, straight-or-gay world works okay for me personally. Although in 2010 I was absolutely smitten by a man, so there's a first time for everything, I guess.

But on-topic ... umm ... I read a 2-minute monologue piece at the open mic a few weeks ago. First step to being a monologist ...

And I made more progress in a terrifyingly large project that I won't specify here yet.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Sham » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 pm

This may turn out to be the best thread EVERRR!

Knowmad, I don't think that JK meant anything bad. It appears to be the same left handed humor that gets me in trouble on a daily basis.

By the way knowmad, you're my hero! :D
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Savannah wrote:IT ALWAYS PICKS THE CHILI COMBO. :shock: DON'T LET YOUR PENIS PICK LUNCH.

I heard about Wendy's Chili. It's widely rumored that the chili at one point contained actual *gasp* beans!

As we used to say during my infintesimally brief career with the Texas Rangers, "Lord knows that ain't right".

Anyway, I ate balut once.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby wh..sh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Zhust wrote:But on-topic ... umm ... I read a 2-minute monologue piece at the open mic a few weeks ago. First step to being a monologist ...

I can't imagine the amount of creativity and material that is required to be a monologist! (I say that as a toastmaster who has struggled with 3-minute speeches)
Good luck.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Years ago I “stumbled into” a lecture on human sexuality, and it turned out to be largely about our genders -- our X and Y chromosomes and the various combinations thereof, our several gender- and sexual-related hormones, and so on and so forth. What an eye-opener! Previously, I was under the impression there were simply two genders. Then it turned out there is not only a linear spectrum of gender-characteristics with the two basic genders at their respective ends of that spectrum, but a veritable three-dimensional universe of such characteristics spanning a number of biological and emotional realms.

Old news to most of this crowd, I expect, but there may be some good folks who have not read about this yet.

Luckily, medical science is able to assist many of the people who grew up in some form of gender-limbo.

Best wishes!

Now…. My own comfort zone….
I don’t smoke, and the only time I tried smoking pot, about 35 years ago, all I got out of it was a horrible burning sensation in my throat. (Well, that, and my girlfriend’s approval for trying. :wink: ) Next, I worked in trucking for three decades, where we are tested for pot frequently and any positive result is a certain career-ender, so I stayed well clear of it. Heck, for a while it was my job to take drivers to the clinic for testing!

Then, three years ago, after I retired from trucking, a friend gave me a “special” brownie. He told me to take just a small bite. Then he was surprised when I reported feeling no effect.

Well, this year I was given a big cookie accompanied by the same warning. That evening I sat down with a glass of wine and ate that whole cookie. What a nice sensation – and then I dove into bed and slept like a dead man until morning. Good sleep, to me, is a precious commodity in short supply. That cookie beat the snot out of 300mg Trazodone.

So I think I have now expanded my cannabis comfort zone.
Elliot's Nude Bicycle Bar & Rude Piano Playing - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:10 pm

While out for brunch this weekend I walked into the restaurant with the intent of ordering in the bacon & eggs/comfort brekkie food for brunch. That was on the menu and I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it, but so was this unusual treat.

Sweet and savory bacon and pretzel dough french toast with maple syrup. The word pretzel just didn't compute as something that could work as a breakfast food, much less with things like bacon or syrup. I decided to give it a try, and am very glad I did - it was amazing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby nilasnake » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm

what was the name of that place? looks like we'll have to put that on the list next sf. visit.
nilasnake

Postby Sham » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm

My comfort zone clearly had to be being nude in public. That taboo that we deal with in our society. Imagine if someone sees your bare ass--or worse!
My first year in BRC, I was intrigued that someone could actually spend the day with no clothing--not even clothes with them to put on if they got uncomfortable. By my second year I was feeling brave and participated in the naked bike ride and pub crawl. Holy crap! All my fears and anxieties were lifted off of my head. Waiting to use the portos, I looked around to see that I was the only naked person in the crowd. No big deal at all. I walked through Center Camp like I owned the place.

The first time I met TamaraKay, I was on the pub crawl again at BDC. I gave her a great big hug and didn't even think that I was bare assed naked (I of course had boots on). Life is much better now!! :D
Sham

Postby wh..sh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Sure, Burning man offers lot of opportunities and new experiences to push our limits. But, what about rest of the year?
In the mean time, we have to keep evolving.

Shambala wrote:The first time I met TamaraKay, I was on the pub crawl again at BDC. I gave her a great big hug and didn't even think that I was bare assed naked (I of course had boots on). Life is much better now!! :D

Now, how can we convert that into real world? Have you ever worn velvet pants? (ooo, so sooooft!)
Last edited by wh..sh on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Shambala wrote:This may turn out to be the best thread EVERRR!

Knowmad, I don't think that JK meant anything bad. It appears to be the same left handed humor that gets me in trouble on a daily basis.

By the way knowmad, you're my hero! :D

Psssst! Heroine!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:29 pm

In one of my weird hang-ups I distrust anything that takes major surgery. (Except for the ones I had to repair my body.) ... And I think that hormones are poison. (However, it's good to go on thyroid.) Perhaps there is a lurking trans-phobia hiding under those. If there is, fuck it. That's my problem. And the thing is I have enough evidence to know that I cannot make that decision for anyone else. Happiness is such a fragile thing in this world anyway, why have "gender dysphoria" on top of that?

I dream of a world of sliding identity and gender queer and huge happiness. Part of the problem is that I am not particularly identified as a woman. It might just be that I never woke up one morning as a man, but there are other things that seem more important to me. As I said, my problem.

Knowmad, I hope that those two paragraphs did not cause you any pain or discomfort. Do what you need, have a wonderful life.
(((((Knowmad)))))
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Shambala wrote:My comfort zone clearly had to be being nude in public. ....

I guess I’ve been lucky in that regard; my parents did something right. As a child I went to summer camp, and every couple of days we rode a hay wagon to swim in a river. All the other kids ran off and hid behind bushes to change into their swim suits. I could not even understand why we had to wear a costume to swim, much less why the change had to be performed a great distance from the river.

Now…. That Norwegian river was c-o-l-d, and I never set more than a toe in! Why on earth suffer such, when we had unlimited warm water for washing back at camp. But at BM I have happily showered in “room” temperature water when that was all I had -- and I surprised myself with that.

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Postby Sham » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Elliot, I recall back in the days of public schools, where everyone showered after gym in a gang shower area. That is no longer allowed and being undressed in front of anyone in school is awkward for the students. I go to a gym, and I am amazed that anyone in their teens or 20's simply would implode into themselves if they were seen changing or showering. This appears to be such a strong and possibly insurmountable phobia, that it may actually affect their personal lives in the future.
Sham

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm

We did have communal showers in the school gym, but the boys were still uptight about changing at summer camp. So it would appear to be more about being seen by other people, such as the camp counselors or any passers-by. I don't know....

This summer I went to a public pool on the UC Davis (California) campus a few times. The men's changing and showering was communal. Some men showered with swim trunks on. Weird.

I have no doubt such a phobia is harmful.

Again from my childhood in Oslo, there was a big indoor swimming pool which was very popular in winter. I learned to swim there. They had "open days" for both genders wearing swim suits, and they had gender-specific days when suits were not required. On men's days, I noticed that the younger fellas wore more swim suits than the older fellas. So maybe anyone can outgrow it.

Elliot

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:59 pm

My parents were never hung up much about nudity, but I never saw them naked either. We went to Japan when I was 13, so I was exposed to semi-nudity where no one was hung up about it. As a teenager in Utah, I did get the lectures about modesty, being a Mormon and so on. Boot camp ended any qualms I had about getting naked in front of strangers, we had 30 minutes to jump up, shower, dress and make our racks perfectly. Group showers left no time for modesty. For me, public nudity is a separate issue from feeling bad about my body. I do that even when dressed.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby strange love » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:08 pm

I went to a karaoke bar last night :D
strange love

Postby wh..sh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm

strange love wrote:I went to a karaoke bar last night :D

OMG! That will be the end of me!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:29 pm

AntiM wrote:... and make our racks perfectly.

I'll just avoid saying anything that contributes by taking stuff out of context and make sexual innuendo from it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote:... and make our racks perfectly.

I'll just avoid saying anything that contributes by taking stuff out of context and make sexual innuendo from it.

you are so strong......*admiration*......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby tamarakay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Came up with a theme camp, expressed it, followed through. And now my hair is blue lol

When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 pm

oh crap. that is big. bbadger is going to whip my butt.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Hair was another thing that has gone way beyond my comfort zone since the burn and I decided not to shave off the colored mohawk when I returned. I find it amazing how the non traditional hair color changes so many default world interactions with people - usually for the better.

Since the burn I have had Fuscia, Aqua, Purple, and currently Bright Blue. And still sporting the mohawk although in a slightly different style.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby pink » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm going with blue & purple on my next hair appointment, which happens to be Wednesday. Never been blue before.

Knowmad, I'm happy for you! Watching one of my friends transition and finally become happy has been wonderful-and even more wonderful for her.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Tamarakay, you look kickass! :shock:

Drawingablank, I'm so glad you got to carry some Burn-time self-expression into the Default World.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:34 pm

I can't grow a mohawk as I am 2"s taller than my hair. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby knowmad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Public Nudity.
I experienced much of the same as some have posted here. Communal showers in School, The Navy, and when I lived in Germany. haven't been naked on the playa. well kinda, I'll change clothes, shower or bounce from tent to tent in public, but no running around naked. just not my style.
Kerioki, only when the song is something I can belt out. Violent Fems, Jannis Joplin, or some gender fucked version of Taylor Swift. <--- have to admit even acknowledging I kinda like her music makes me uncomfortable. She's a spoiled stuck-up sexist homophobe and kinda lousy girl but she's got a wardrobe to die for, and enough nerd to keep me looking.

Speaking of. Being around some one who is a public douche makes me uncomfortable.

ETA: Awww Figjam! that explains the 2 inches of nose hair.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion