The Bar, Volume #4

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: The Bar, Volume #4

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 am

*wanders in, makes cup of Yerba Matte*
so, trying this to see if it'll help me not get sleepy during the day.......anyone know much about it?

ASD: you're too kind.

*strokes TV, heads for IBBOD*

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 am

*glides in on ice skates, as like the ethereal feather........catches and edge and does a half twisting 3/4 gainer into the IBBOS*
wow,good thing this was here!!

Anyway:
It's Jella's Birthday!

Happy,Happy Birthday,Jella!!

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby aserendipity » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 am

Good Morning All !

another perfect day

Yggy whatever tastes good to you is best.

and it is great fun to change it up from time to time.
aserendipity

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:25 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

I dunno, Yerba Matte has just as much caffeine, and doesn't taste half as good as coffee. But if you like it, go for it.

Already been making art this morning. One piece which should have been way cool had technical difficulties, I'm hoping I can salvage it without starting over. Dang trying new things.

Time to go move the sprinkler. We have an in ground system, but there's a blind spot in front of the big rainbird. Gotta get out there before the yellowjackets wake up for the day. Bastards follow me around.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:31 am

Morning everyone :coffee:

It's going to be a hot one again in Reno today.

Sadie and I went and visited The Generator yesterday at their open house. What an amazing place we have here now. For those of you who don't know it is a huge warehouse where many art projects are being built such as the ichthyosaurus and the control tower. There are some others but it's early right now and the names escape me :oops:

Did see Nila and Killbuck yesterday. He was painting sone of his sideshow banners there. He's so damn talented. Anyhoo the daughter and I both signed waivers so we can volunteer down there now...so excite

This morning it's off to an Art Town event with the dogs and this afternoon we're eloping out an event to benefit the Reno Core project...we'll be helping making popcorn and serving ice cream.YAY! It's at the Wild Flower Village so if you're around swing by and say hi.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:32 am

And Happy Birthday Jella.

Hope your day is fantastical
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby winebuff » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 am

Morning all, long time no chat. Have fun Jonsi today and give Sadie a hug pls. We are listing our house for sale Aug 1st so scrambling. Can u believe it, we are in the home stretch to get to the desert. Yay! Have a great day everyone :D
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am

Morning all! Well it's still morning somewhere. 8)

I need some :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Happy birthday, (((Jella))) *smooch*

Yggy I applaud your discipline about maintaining your fitness but also suggest carbo-loading in the run-up to departure for BRC. TTITD is a real marathon. 8) Please don't arrive with an empty tank or you may wind up at my Med Station. :?

(((Lucky))) you are A DOLL (well we knew that) for volunteering, gosh I wish I was close enough to do all that with you!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 am

Happy birthday, Jella! And awesome, MDF - I've been hearing awesomeness about The Generator space. Reminds me a bit of a couple places in SF, though they're mostly on the other side of the bay and not easy to be able to get to. It's still amazing and thrilling to hear about some of the projects that go on in those spaces. We were at a friend's bday picnic yesterday, and heard about some awesome things going on at Marco & Hudzo's warehouse space on Treasure Island. Marco's working on the sequel/next chapter to his epic Bliss Dance piece, and Hudzo's team are doing restoration and upgrade work on both Homouroboros and Tantalus. Great big awesome stuff, to be sure.

I was up late last night painting, and am starting a bit later than I'd have liked today. I've already gotten some clear-coating done, though. Here's to another day of productive playa prep!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ^Rhino! » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 am

ygmir wrote:yeah Dougly, we have chert and flint up here as boulders and rocks in the rivers. I know of lots of chert in Nevada........but as mentioned, obsidian is maybe the best! As it so happens, I have several hundred pounds here, if you want some. Happy to share.
I've had difficulty, telling chert from flint.........

^Rhino: are you sure about the labradorite in Academy black and India black? I know,for carving the "absolute black" is about the hardest and abrasive resistant.......the red cuts by chisel or sandblast pretty fast, similar to Sierry White and some of the lighter stones.
do you have a website for composition and properties? I'd love to look some stuff up.
All my info, is merely "hands on/experience" from cutting, carving, drilling, splitting and polishing, alas, no college for me.
It great, though, to have you around, for geology stuff!! I always appreciate the info, and have no issue with being told I'm wrong or mistaken..........

In the Academy Black, Yes. In the India Black, absolutely....it's also under the trade name 'Galaxy Black'. Here's the scoop on both. Both have plagioclase, which SHOULD give extra durability. It's the amount and percentages of ferromagnesian minerals which shoots the durability to hell. Here's why: Ferromags erode faster than quartz and feldspars (orthoclase and plagioclase). If it's a high perceentage of hornblende, biotite or muscovite mica, or augite in the final crystallized rock, then the rock erodes a lot faster than something like Missouri Red, which is primarily orthoclase and quartz alone, with a little bit of plagioclase. Academy black is actually a fine-grained gabbro from the Academy Pluton (Jurassic age)http://www.stoneply.com/stones/academygranite from the Sierra Nevadas, India Black appears to be a true gabbroic rock composed of labradorite, a particular chemistry of plagioclase. See the iridescent lath-shaped crystals in the stone? http://www.graniteprofessionalsnj.com/granite_pics/black-galaxy-granite.jpgThat's labradorite in a polished rock.

That's the problem with 'trade names' They'll lead you down the garden path and then slam you on one side of the head and make you seem foolish. My only advantage is that I know a few of the trade names and can look up the rest with google. google the trade name and state that it's a polished stone, and you can find out the composition pretty easily. I enjoy helping quarry operators, stonecutters, carvers, and polishers with my best 'guesstimates'. We just need a more common language in referring to stone composition.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Howdy bar!

This totally shitty year is starting to turn good :)

Hope to come here more often, bring you ome delicious yummyness and have some drinks with you!

Postby goathead » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:56 pm

deliciousness, yumminess, drinks I knew there was a reason I wandered in here.

Happy Birthday Jella

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:59 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
ygmir wrote:yeah Dougly, we have chert and flint up here as boulders and rocks in the rivers. I know of lots of chert in Nevada........but as mentioned, obsidian is maybe the best! As it so happens, I have several hundred pounds here, if you want some. Happy to share.
I've had difficulty, telling chert from flint.........

^Rhino: are you sure about the labradorite in Academy black and India black? I know,for carving the "absolute black" is about the hardest and abrasive resistant.......the red cuts by chisel or sandblast pretty fast, similar to Sierry White and some of the lighter stones.
do you have a website for composition and properties? I'd love to look some stuff up.
All my info, is merely "hands on/experience" from cutting, carving, drilling, splitting and polishing, alas, no college for me.
It great, though, to have you around, for geology stuff!! I always appreciate the info, and have no issue with being told I'm wrong or mistaken..........

In the Academy Black, Yes. In the India Black, absolutely....it's also under the trade name 'Galaxy Black'. Here's the scoop on both. Both have plagioclase, which SHOULD give extra durability. It's the amount and percentages of ferromagnesian minerals which shoots the durability to hell. Here's why: Ferromags erode faster than quartz and feldspars (orthoclase and plagioclase). If it's a high perceentage of hornblende, biotite or muscovite mica, or augite in the final crystallized rock, then the rock erodes a lot faster than something like Missouri Red, which is primarily orthoclase and quartz alone, with a little bit of plagioclase. Academy black is actually a fine-grained gabbro from the Academy Pluton (Jurassic age)http://www.stoneply.com/stones/academygranite from the Sierra Nevadas, India Black appears to be a true gabbroic rock composed of labradorite, a particular chemistry of plagioclase. See the iridescent lath-shaped crystals in the stone? http://www.graniteprofessionalsnj.com/granite_pics/black-galaxy-granite.jpgThat's labradorite in a polished rock.

That's the problem with 'trade names' They'll lead you down the garden path and then slam you on one side of the head and make you seem foolish. My only advantage is that I know a few of the trade names and can look up the rest with google. google the trade name and state that it's a polished stone, and you can find out the composition pretty easily. I enjoy helping quarry operators, stonecutters, carvers, and polishers with my best 'guesstimates'. We just need a more common language in referring to stone composition.

this is great, ^Rhino!! there is such a difference, between working it by hand your whole life, and having an education......super!
but, the India black I refer to , is not Galaxy black (my kitchen counters are Galaxy). it's Absolute black as above in red: http://www.stoneply.com/stones/absoluteblack
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:46 pm

I caught a damn summer cold. Fuck you, cold.
AntiM

Postby magicmarty » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:20 pm

First, a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jella. We miss you around here.

Sorry about the cold, Anti M. It too shall pass.

Played some good tennis this morning and then made some more Boobles that are now in the kiln cooking away. Will see how this batch came out on Monday evening.

Good to see you, Misa! And what a cornucopia of goodies. One month from tomorrow we hit the road to home!!!

Hi GH! YG I wish my Geo-chemist daughter were on this post to read Rhino's posts. She'd understand it all.

Have a great evening, kiddies. Getting to be time to rush to the dust!

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:18 pm

I've had difficulty, telling chert from flint..........

Just getting back to this now. Apologies! :coffee:
I've been using chert for fire-starting with a steel, but it flakes too much.
Flint AFAIK, has a sort of milky quality Ygmir. Glad to come up some fine day and see what you gots. I'd be grateful for it.

Graidawg, I'm told that English flint is some of the best for fire starting. Flintlock rifles prefer English flint for instance.

Yeah, I hope to be playing with some obsidian soon. Easy to cut yourself while knapping.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:37 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

This stuff is fascinating, even though I have nothing to add. Well, maybe, I have a question. I have a chunk of rainbow obsidian a bit bigger than my fist, one side has a polished face. My brother was supposed to polish it into a sphere for me, but never got around to doing it before he died. Mostly it sits around gathering dust, any suggestions what to do with it? Give it away?
AntiM

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 am

Good morning all and especially (((AntiM))), I hope your cold gets better soon.

Okay where is my 8) 8) 8)

Feeling that down-to-the-wire pressure now, only one minion to whip into shape but oh he takes a lot of beating.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 am

Hey Everybody!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tamara Kay. Enjoy your day. Have a drink, dance with wild abandon, eat cake.

Sadie and I sending love and best wishes....
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:27 am

*wanders in, makes yerba mate*
well, second day of trying to stay awake.......we'll see what happens (not solid, just trying not to fall asleep when I sit still).

You're welcome anytime, Dougly! Bring your steel and we'll see if any of it is any good. and please, don't injure yourself knapping.......use a nice pillow.

AnitiM! have you ever though of doing lapidary stuff? it's superfun, pretty, can even have value. Everyone loves polished rocks. A sphere maker can be had fairly cheap, and could finish your brothers project......or, usually, the local rock-hound club usually has several people who just love to help a noob polish and shape something.....maybe go to their next rock show and ask around?
I'll build a sphere maker one day, I have some rocks here that'd be stunning as polished spheres. Your rainbow obsidian would look beautiful!!

Hi 420!! *waves hysterically*, seeya at compression?

Hi MDF!!!! use dat whip, get stuff done.

and hey, it's TK's birthday!!
Happy, Happy Birthday, TK!

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 am

My brother was supposed to leave his lapidary stuff to me, but that never happened. Might have been sold long before he even got sick. I was supposed to buy his custom made workbench and tools, but I have no place for it and don't have an extra thousand bucks lying around. I've cut and polished cabs in the past, did a lot of intricate inlay work when I was a jeweler's apprentice. I don't think I have the eyes for it anymore.

I can't find my cheap rock tumbler even....
AntiM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 am

I can see it now.

Ygmir finds a concrete truck and turns it into a tumbler/polisher! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am

FIGJAM wrote:I can see it now.

ha!! I had one once! I've seen the little electric ones like at home depot, used for making lots and lots of polished stones at once.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 am

G morning Antie M Jella Tam..

Need coffee. Just getting up.. Last two(8 hr) days on the Retrike.. Was at a fest and riding from one to another station to watch Elliot race.. Collected a lot of sun on my white knees :oops:.. Any one here up to giving a good butt rub :?: :wink:
unjonharley

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 am

*comes skidding in, tumbles across floor, lands upright in ROS*

hey, it's Goatheads birthday, today, too!!!

Happy, Happy Birthday, GH!!

*note birthday song above for the day*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 am

ygmir wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:I can see it now.

ha!! I had one once! I've seen the little electric ones like at home depot, used for making lots and lots of polished stones at once.

Speaking of Home Depot, do you think you could make one with one of those one-man concrete mixers? I suppose you could if you had a cover. Make thousands upon thousands during the week of Burningman AT the event. Oops. Now I've said it someone will build on the idea and DO it.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Happy birthday to Goathead and TamaraKay!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Happy Birthday Goathead, you old goat :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Happy happy birthday Goathead and TamaraKay! Do something fun.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby miz wired » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 pm

The day started badly but wow ended on a positive note

Raise a glass to the peeps who's never ending support gets me thru

Happy birthday Goathead and TamaraKay do something wicked today

:D :lol:
Mad as a box of frogs.......oranges!
miz wired

Burning Since: 2014

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion