How many people attended 2012 event?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: How many people attended 2012 event?

Postby Magpie Sparkles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 pm

[quote="pink"]Well, why the hell did you buy a STEP ticket if you already

I entered STEP, assumed there wouldn't be a cat in hells chance of getting a ticket (after i waited minths for one to come up) so took the opportunity that presented itself to me to buy one.

I literally got the STEP ticket on the day STEP closed.
Magpie Sparkles

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 pm

But you weren't obligated to buy a STEP ticket once your name came up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm really surprised at the reports of all the people leaving early. The weather during the week wasn't TERRIBLE, and it wasn't even as Dustpocalyptic as predicted due to a rainshower right before BM started. Sure, the roads east of 6:00 were covered in sand dunes, bumps, and pretty unrideable, but it wasn't THAT bad. Even if it IS your first time, it's not a cheap ticket and lord knows getting geared up and fully stocked isn't cheap either. And renting an RV is even less cheap. I'm curious about how people could be so turned off by the weather conditions that they'd retreat, mid-week, after such a heavy investment.

Then again, I tend to like dust-storms. It helps add to the surreal, apocalyptic feel.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:51 pm

My understanding is peak population was on Friday, with 52,385 in Black Rock City. Friday peak has been a trend for a few years, as some folks leave early either to avoid exodus lines or the frat party crowd or <insert reason here>. That doesn't mean that only 52,385 people showed up, that's just the number of people in town on that day. Some left earlier than that, while others didn't make it in until either later on Friday or even Saturday. One of my campmates who had to back out because her vacation time was canceled was still able to come out late on Friday night and spend the weekend with us.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Magpie Sparkles » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:53 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:But you weren't obligated to buy a STEP ticket once your name came up.

yeah i know it was a bit more complicated than that - I took it so that I could sell my other to a friend and then she simultaneously got one in STEP too. Anyway, all history now blah blah....

I just think first come, first served was fine. And having had 10 years + of non transfrerrable ticketing system for Glastonbury there is virtually no secondary market for those tickets.
Magpie Sparkles

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Magpie Sparkles wrote:I just think first come, first served was fine. And having had 10 years + of non transfrerrable ticketing system for Glastonbury there is virtually no secondary market for those tickets.

This has been hashed out on the ticket threads for this year. Please read up before re-opening the can of worms.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:15 am

AntiM wrote:The dust was pretty heavy on the side of the city we were on a couple times. Enough so I had drifts of dust in the shade structure. Not everyday, but enough to get oppressive. Enough to drive a newb out for sure.

It did?! Heck I thought the dust was a cake walk. I was kinda like... this is it?!

I guess it must have been bad cause I now have playa lung. Ick. Going back to work less then 24 hours after being back.. not a good idea. But I did make $130 in tips in 5 hours. Yay food money!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby mgb327 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 am

Tinkerbell wrote:
Savannah wrote:How many people attended? Oh, boy...good question. I'm bad with numbers...

Maybe 80.

Seems high, doesn't it? Not 80. How about 4? I don't know...I'm so bad at guesstimating...

Okay...there's me...my wife...our plants...we have some candy bars...

Wait, we don't count candy bars or plants.

Well, then, there's just the two of us.

Boy, I really overshot with the 80!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4165

Maybe 4?

I am certain I counted 7. The nice thing about only seven people being there this year was the JOTS were super-nice. Oh wait, I didn't include myself...there were 8.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Magpie Sparkles » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Magpie Sparkles wrote:I just think first come, first served was fine. And having had 10 years + of non transfrerrable ticketing system for Glastonbury there is virtually no secondary market for those tickets.

This has been hashed out on the ticket threads for this year. Please read up before re-opening the can of worms.

I have read all those threads. Just saying :)
Magpie Sparkles

Previous

Return to Open Discussion