You meet the nicest people......

All things outside of Burning Man.

You meet the nicest people......

Postby TT120 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 am

I was standing behind the counter of the store I work at yesterday, daydreaming about how I'm going to lay out my camp next year
when I see a Motorhome pull into the parking lot. I immediately begin to think that a motorhome would be a great way to spend
a week in the desert but I think my plan of building a monkey hut with a tent inside would be more fun.

The occupants of the motorhome piled out and started to come inside. They were the cutest older couple I've ever seen, with the
exception of my wife and I when we're in our motorcycle racing leathers. Mr. and Mrs. Americana. Like Hank and Peggy Hill or
something. They came in the store and were looking at stuff and talking to each other and seemed to be in great moods.

I said "Howdy" and they looked up and smiled and said "We need batteries". I asked them what for and they told me they were
going camping and needed some double and triple a batteries for the lights on their bikes.

That immediately got my full attention as I just been mapping out my battery usage for the various lights I will be using.

I tried not to be nosey but I just couldn't help myself so I asked them where they were going camping. Again, they looked up
with that knowing smile and said "Burning Man!"

It seems that their kids got them tickets figuring they would have fun and they actually have been wanting to go for many years.
They are both retired now and they're enjoying life now in their RV. They are coming up from the LA area and taking their time
getting to the burn. These two were your average late 60's couple, like gramma and granpa. Straight out of a Norman Rockwell
picture. I would have never guessed They were going to TTITD.

We chatted for a while about all kinds of stuff, I sold them a bunch of batteries and a USB charger and they were on their way.
Their good mood was infectious and I was happy the rest of the day.

You just never know who you're going to meet.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Return to Open Discussion