Taking a smartphone to BRC? Be prepared!!!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Taking a smartphone to BRC? Be prepared!!!

Postby jkisha » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Just got this in a greeters email announce...

We needs ta help each other out. When participants arrive at BRC, they have to fill out a personal use agreement (PUA). The PUA is for anyone using a video capable camera or any technology that can capture video... this includes a Smart Phone. So, basically, everyone needs to fill out a PUA. Just imagine every participant sitting in there car waiting to enter the city filling out a form... YUCK! So, attached is a link where participants can fill out the PUA before they arrive in the city. All they have to do is hand this form to their Greeter. So, Greeters... lets make this link go viral. Post it everywhere... remind everyone to fill out their PUA before they arrive at Greeters Station. Really will make our lives soooooo much simpler.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/video_cameras.html#.UCqYYYl5mc0
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Taking a smartphone to BRC? Be prepared!!!

Postby fresh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks!!! I will repost this in fb groups.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

As far as I can tell from the agreement this is only for actually recording video with your phone, not just for having it, correct? I will have mine with me in the car, but won't be using it at all in BRC.
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Correct - the form should be used for any camera or device that is capable of shooting video and will be used on the playa.

Completed forms can be turned in at either the greeter's station or playa info.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Berberis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am

This isn't any different from previous years, is it? If we can turn in agreements at Rangers or Playa Info, then we're not actually going to have greeters forcing everybody to wait in their vehicles to fill out a form prior to entry, or administering lie detector tests to make sure people are telling the truth when they say they won't be using their cell phones for anything on playa.

And there's STILL the confusion where the (admittedly tiny number of) cameras that are incapable of taking video apparently do not require a form. Well, unless the person with a still image camera actually reads the form for some reason and finds that completing it is in fact required for "film or digital still photographs".
Berberis

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am

personal use stills cameras havent needed to sign anything that i can ever recall.

i think some might have 'encouraged' people to 'tag' a camera even if it wasnt required.. but we dont even have tags anymore..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am

It's not any different (I remember having to fill out a form for my video camera back in 2004). I think of this as more of an awareness campaign - more people are packing smartphones or multi-purpose devices that shoot video but aren't thought of as a camera.

Actually, they do still have tags, but they're only used for the pro video gear.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Open Discussion