Ice Cream on the Playa?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Ice Cream on the Playa?

Postby DarklingThrush » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 am

I am making my 8th pilgrimage to BRC this year, after a 3 year break. I used to camp with the Red Nose District (Cirque Berzerk, Doc Gnome, TOTEM Massage, and the Stilt Bar). I stopped going in 2009 when this camp broke up.

This year I am building an ice cream cart on a bicycle trailer and planning to give away home-made ice cream on the playa. I'll have two friends with me, BM virgins Kate and Kelly. All three of us are outdoorsy types (former wilderness instructors) who are pretty self-sufficient; we would love to join a camp that already has a shower and kitchen setup, however, so we don't have to bring our own.

We are all happy to help with your projects as well - we're eager helpers. I will have my massage table with me but I'm not a LMT; I have taken classes but I usually just massage friends (although I get rave reviews :) ). We're also happy to help with camp setup, breakdown, maintenance, etc. I was thinking we could just set up our cart and serve ice cream to camp-mates and guests :D

Let me know if you still have space and if you think we might fit into your vision, and have a great burn either way!

Thanks,
Jim, aka "Darkling Thrush"
JimTreebeard@earthling.net
DarklingThrush

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Red Nose District

Re: Ice Cream on the Playa?

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 am

Home made ice cream may require a permit to serve open food. An interesting thing might be novelty ice cream. It's quick, easy and very inexpensive. (Costco, 27 cents each!) :D
I'll be looking for you!
Sham

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 am

home-made ice cream would require an inspection of yer bike/where you store/prepare the ice cream.. (if prepared on-playa theyll want to see where it was prepared)

if food is prepared off-site theyll want to be sure that place is also something that has been licensed as a safe place for food prep/serving..

theyd also want an accounting of how you got the ice cream safely from its origin off-site location to the event itself

http://health.nv.gov/BFHS_EHS.htm

check the bottom of the page for info and the application that you should send in..

deadline for applications is Friday Aug 17th.. get it in well before then!

[you dont need to get a permit for serving campmates if your camp is less than 125 people ...you need a permit for serving to any public people outside of the camp]
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 am

Lemur, do you think a permit would be required for sealed packages of novelty ice cream? ie, drumstick, fudgecicle or chocolate covereds.
Sham

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 am

My Reward.jpg

The Ice Cream sandwiche I recieved after giving a couple a lift.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 am

permits arent required for pre-packaged storebought foods that require no onsite prep..

so.. otter pops.. ice cream sammiches... fudgickles.. those are fine to serve with no permit
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Open Discussion