Insurance Policies

All things outside of Burning Man.

Insurance Policies

Postby delle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 am

Reading this:

theCryptofishist wrote:
captain mcguiver wrote:In 2006 I watched a ez-up-canopy tent fly 50 feet into the air like a tornado grabbed it and come crashing down into a girls chest. She got a free helicopter ride- to Reno ER.

That helicopter ride was not free. I hope she had insurance. One reason to consider buying travel insurance for this trip.

...I started to wonder about insurance. On reading my policy last year I got the sinking feeling that anything that happened during Burning Man could easily be contested as "extreme" and "dangerous" activity, which would then not be covered.

Thankfully, I did not have to find out what the answer was.

Knowing that there are eplayans who have discovered the limitations or generosity of their policies, I thought I'd ask for insight and suggestion here. Has anyone heard of evacuations or treatments being denied by their insurance companies due to the nature of TTITD?
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Re: Insurance Policies

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:28 am

delle wrote:Reading this:

theCryptofishist wrote:
captain mcguiver wrote:In 2006 I watched a ez-up-canopy tent fly 50 feet into the air like a tornado grabbed it and come crashing down into a girls chest. She got a free helicopter ride- to Reno ER.

That helicopter ride was not free. I hope she had insurance. One reason to consider buying travel insurance for this trip.

...I started to wonder about insurance. On reading my policy last year I got the sinking feeling that anything that happened during Burning Man could easily be contested as "extreme" and "dangerous" activity, which would then not be covered.

Thankfully, I did not have to find out what the answer was.

Knowing that there are eplayans who have discovered the limitations or generosity of their policies, I thought I'd ask for insight and suggestion here. Has anyone heard of evacuations or treatments being denied by their insurance companies due to the nature of TTITD?

*looks at ankles*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby delle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 am

ygmir wrote:
delle wrote:Thankfully, I did not have to find out what the answer was. (Tho I may have caused others to...)

*looks at ankles*

ok. edited to reflect reality. :oops:
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 am

There are some liability insurance policies specialized for BM, good for theme camps.

There are overseas medical evacuation policies for individuals which have covered me, but I have never used, traveling in risky spots. Given the small number of evacuees, seems like someone could offer such a policy.

Different companies are different to the degree they litigate or contest the fine print.

But no personal info on exercising evacuation coverage.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 am

Thank goodness that I had federal employee healthcare insurance in Austria. My father paid for the medical evacuation which consisted of flying two nurses/paramedics to Austria (okay Muenchen and I'm not sure how they got to Innsbruck) from Ontario, me and my nurse/paramedics to San Francisco, where I went into an ambulance to Walnut Creek, and then from San Francisco to Ontario. And I know there was hotel rooms in Innsbruck, and I think in San Francisco. Which is something to think about.
So, depending on circumstances things can get expensive.

On the other hand, as those damn ads say: Priceless. (I like the Julian Assange one best...)
When the helicopters went to REMSA it was in the neighborhood of 20 to 30 thousand.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Is it medical?

I added trip insurance to my flight with a medical rider.
Since it was stated value, I added medical to a low value trip amount.
Total cost $15.

Separate it would be more expensive.
gyre

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm also interested in hearing about insurance policy coverage for rented vehicles. I'm renting as a business from Budget, so I know I have to get a minimum amount of insurance, but I'll definitely want insurance against the things the playa wind will almost certainly be throwing at the vehicle this year.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm

You may end up being screwed in the event of mishap through Budget. Renting as a business is a great way to score a cheap rate if nobody's checking your paperwork, but should something happen you can damned well be sure that your willfull misrepresentation is enough of a loophole that they'd be off the hook on paying out. To be certain you'd probably either want to consult with a lawyer (which would probably cost you more than you'd save by claiming to be a business) or ask the rental agency (which clues them in on your scam).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:00 pm

It isn't hard to legally qualify as a business.

You can insure with your own policy.

Most people have no incidents other than dust.
gyre

Postby Token » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:31 pm

For the REMSA Care Flight, $55 has you covered.

Let me google that for you.

http://www.care-flight.com/flightplan.html

Now this is just the flight and EMS service, not medical insurance.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

That's right, I'd forgotten about that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:55 pm

I have no health insurance of any kind, so it looks like I'm ineligible for the helicopter services...*sighs* I guess overall I'm SOL.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Return to Open Discussion