9th of Juplaya

All things outside of Burning Man.

9th of Juplaya

Postby Mosin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 am

Having never been to the playa other than during the burn we expected to see scattered tents and vehicles on the horizon, and perhaps locate the faint outline of past BRC city streets. Maybe a land speed run going on, and some recreational rocketry. WRONG. 9th of Juplaya must be the most dead day in the BRD on the calendar. NOTHING. Flatness. Horizon. Playa. Not a single speck of moop. (Playa restoration folks are gods!). It was beautiful, stunning, bizarre (in a Hitchcock/Twilight Zone kindof way... where did you all go?!?!), and once we made the dumb decision to drive out in darkness...kinda sketchy!! :shock: Had I not done the 447-to-playa transition 5x r/t in the past 5 yrs our trusty steed Pandora would likely still be stuck out there. By the time we realized we should follow our own tracks out (or should have taken a compass reading in and made a beeline back) it was too late. Random tracks going every which way. It is amazing how inviting the lights of Gerlach look from that position/circumstance. I wonder how many mixed up playa visitors who try this dumb stunt end up driving straight to the lights, where they ultimately get stuck, and how long it takes from there to hoof it to Brunos (?). In any case, calm, intuition, and misplaced confidence saved the day. Our most memorable Exodus yet!

I posted three "work safe" panoramas of Pandora/9th of Juplaya to my CW gallery (I'm on an iPad right now and can't figure out how to UL photos with it here, but will post hires soon).
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=314

As for the playa condition, it seeemed amazingly hard and almost devoid of dust. My bunny ears smell more like playa in the off season than it did out there! I was running around in my socks and nothing stuck. At dusk the wind was blowing a steady ~30mph (SE) and there was still no dust. Certainly others have made this observation before, but I realized that it is the BRC road system and every other bike/cart/MV tire track striped on the playa that creates the dust. Just add wind to taste for your favorite taste of the playa and associated scurrying. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the playa/crust to determine how this will translate into conditions for the burn, but it sure looked and felt promising.

So that was our playa fix for 2012 y'all. May you all have an epic burn this year!!! Pandora and Deliciosos Helados Frida plan to return in 2013, so don't fuck it up, aight? :wink:
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Re: 9th of Juplaya

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

Mosin wrote: I wonder how many mixed up playa visitors who try this dumb stunt end up driving straight to the lights, where they ultimately get stuck, and how long it takes from there to hoof it to Brunos (?). In any case, calm, intuition, and misplaced confidence saved the day. Our most memorable Exodus yet!

I've heard a story...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the update, Mosin. Glad you kept your head out there and didn't get too disoriented.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm

thanks for the post! awesome to hear that the playa is hard packed although i'm not holding my breath that it will stay that way. :D
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 pm

how thick was the playa crust?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Mosin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Mosin wrote: I wonder how many mixed up playa visitors who try this dumb stunt end up driving straight to the lights, where they ultimately get stuck, and how long it takes from there to hoof it to Brunos (?). In any case, calm, intuition, and misplaced confidence saved the day. Our most memorable Exodus yet!

I've heard a story...

@Crypto: I'm all ears! Sacred encrusted bunny ears even... :mrgreen:

@BoyScoutGirl: Had Disorient been present we might be on the back of a milk carton at this point. :shock:

@lucky420 & homiesinheaven: I pried up a piece of playa (Toll House cookie diameter) and took a bite for the camera. I'd guestimate the thickness at about 3/4 in. in that area. And yes, the image of open-playa pee cakes becoming visible at dawn did enter my mind as I bit down. :|
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 am

damn unfortunately 3/4 inch thick isn't really very thick at all. Last year I recall the crust being at least a couple of inches thick. I brought some playa home to mail to someone who couldn't make the burn and I do know that it was more than 3/4 inch thick.

Being female I may have over-estimated the thickness and all or is that a man trait? :wink:

Anyhoo thanks for reporting back to us!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 am

lucky420 wrote:Being female I may have over-estimated the thickness and all or is that a man trait? :wink:

Now now, it's not your fault that you've been lied to your whole life about what 8" really looks like..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Being female I may have over-estimated the thickness and all or is that a man trait? :wink:

Now now, it's not your fault that you've been lied to your whole life about what 8" really looks like..

shut the hell up!!

*deducting 7 manpoints for bean spilling*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Mosin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 am

Finally on a real computer so I can post a few photos... or at least one it seems! Here is 9th of Juplaya in all of its desolate glory:

DSC03432sss.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Postby Mosin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 am

We must be early or something: :lol:

wemustbeearly.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mosin

Postby Mosin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 am

And last, the shape of things to come! :D

DSC03699ss.JPG
Mosin

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:46 pm

wow, gorgeous panoramic shot! thanks for sharing.

here's one i took at sunrise in 2010:

Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Pippi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm

those shots are incredible!
Pippi

Burning Since: 2011

Return to Open Discussion