Mixed Message On Feathers?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Mixed Message On Feathers?

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I understand and agree with the no feathers policy, but sometimes it seems like it is not taken too seriously by many.

A prime example is the current JRS newsletter which links to "AMAZING PHOTO GALLERY FROM DARREN KEITH" which has at least a dozen closeup photos of folks wearing lots of feathers.

Granted the gallery has some really nice stuff, but perhaps the policy should be to not promote photo galleries that have pics of people flaunting the no feathers rule.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Mixed Message On Feathers?

Postby pizzamancer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Hang on. Lemme call Larry.

Okay, here is the scoop. He said, "NO FUCKING FEATHERS!"
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby LegendZero » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:41 am

Not been to the big burn yet so take my experience with a SHAKER of salt, I went to the virgin orientation recently and of the 5 or so people in playa wear 2 had feathers as part of the outfit. All the photos galleries or videos I have seen of the burn ALL have someone wearing feathers in them.

Same thing with sequins and beads. My helmet uses sequins because the mylar came off but the superglued sequins wouldn't come off scrubbing them with a bathbrush after leaving it in the sun all day.

I don't see any feasible way to make feathers not moop, especially the soft fluffy ones on both of the outfits I saw in person.
LegendZero

Postby jkisha » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 am

LegendZero wrote:Not been to the big burn yet so take my experience with a SHAKER of salt, I went to the virgin orientation recently and of the 5 or so people in playa wear 2 had feathers as part of the outfit. All the photos galleries or videos I have seen of the burn ALL have someone wearing feathers in them.

Same thing with sequins and beads. My helmet uses sequins because the mylar came off but the superglued sequins wouldn't come off scrubbing them with a bathbrush after leaving it in the sun all day.

I don't see any feasible way to make feathers not moop, especially the soft fluffy ones on both of the outfits I saw in person.

Would have been ballsey, but you should have called them on it just to have heard their reaction/justification to a newbie.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:11 am

There is no way to keep Feathers, Glitter, Sequins, Fuqing Boas, and glued on rhinestones from becoming fucking MOOP. I've seen every attempt, and we've had to clean up after every fucking attempt. It's like bicycles people dump, or posessions people shed...

So, to clarify...

NO FUQING FEATHERS, GLITTER, SEQUINS, UNATTACHED CRAP, RATTY CARPET CLOAKS, OR THE FRAQING BICYCLE "BORROWED" FROM IN FRONT OF DISTRIKT LAST NIGHT...

We have the right - no, duty - to take your boa-wearing gllitter-covered sequined-bejewelled ass and drop it off, naked, on top of Black Rock Mountain... at 6 AM. Or better, you want to make moop? We can tie you to the train track just in time for the 4:46 Freight run. You can make moop.

You wear feathers in our camp, you will WISH we were interrogating you.

That is all.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 am

FUCK YO FEATHERS!!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am

I guess I did not communicate my thoughts on this very well and everyone seems to have read the title and jumped straight into rant mode.

So let me simplify my original post and try again:

Why the fuck is the org's official newsletter (Jack Rabbit Speaks) linking to sites loaded with photos of people wearing lots of feathers?

Am I the only one who finds this rather absurd?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51 am

It's news to you that Burning Man is chock full of nuts from bottom to top?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 am

You're asking us to rationalize and explain BMOrg's behavior. Come on now. You've been here long enough to know that there is no rationalizing or explaining. All we can do is rant and/or bitch and/or post animated .gif images.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 am

Bob wrote:It's news to you that Burning Man is chock full of nuts from bottom to top?

No, but that doesn't mean you can't call them on it.

Drawingablank

Postby jkisha » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 am

junglesmacks wrote:You're asking us to rationalize and explain BMOrg's behavior. Come on now. You've been here long enough to know that there is no rationalizing or explaining. All we can do is rant and/or bitch and/or post animated .gif images.

Alleluia and Amen brother to that.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 am

jkisha wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:You're asking us to rationalize and explain BMOrg's behavior. Come on now. You've been here long enough to know that there is no rationalizing or explaining. All we can do is rant and/or bitch and/or post animated .gif images.

"tickle you ass with a feather?"..........I can't remember the movie....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 am

I recall the year after the ban on plants began (prompted by a large rave camp got into trouble for littering an acre or two with plant material from their decorations, along with the usual raver trinkets) the org's art fucks gave out a grant for some artist to litter the playa with dozens of dead manzanita bushes that ended up dropping shitloads of leaves and twigs. Think the excuse given was, "Well, we banned *live* plants, not dead ones."

Bob

Postby delle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 am

LegendZero wrote:Not been to the big burn yet so take my experience with a SHAKER of salt, I went to the virgin orientation recently and of the 5 or so people in playa wear 2 had feathers as part of the outfit. All the photos galleries or videos I have seen of the burn ALL have someone wearing feathers in them.

As far as I know, there are no such rules for Regional get-togethers, and it would be a perfect place to be able to wear an outfit of its ilk........ although it would make some sense to have a sign saying "do not attempt this at home" around one's neck to dissuade the uninitiated from thinking it something worth confecting for the playa.

The whole JRS thing has me baffled. I've often wondered the same.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 am

I thought the outright ban on live plants went into effect the year after Lush Camp's finale (they were at 2 & Esplanade with lots and lots of palm fronds and other atmospheric fauna). Their space looked great, but bits were coming off and blowing away throughout the event.

It might be that they felt that either censoring or punishing the photographer was wrong. It might be that someone was familiar with the photographer by reputation, and only gave the gallery a cursory glance before it was submitted or added. I suspect it was more oversight than anything else. I don't believe that the intention in posting it was to glorify the use of feathers.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 am

trilobyte wrote: It might be that they felt that either censoring or punishing the photographer was wrong. It might be that someone was familiar with the photographer by reputation, and only gave the gallery a cursory glance before it was submitted or added. I suspect it was more oversight than anything else. I don't believe that the intention in posting it was to glorify the use of feathers.

No doubt, but if the war on feather moop is to have any chance everyone from the top down needs to be on the same page.

Perhaps a campaign to encourage bars to not serve anyone wearing feathers would have more effect than any amount of talking.

Drawingablank

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, Lush. Took everyone in the org outside of DPW a few years to get clear on the concept, and a loose reading of the web page on the topic still might have some ticket holders thinking the org is discussing only potted plants.

Some funded artists will continue not to give a shit, like the crude couple who wanted to morph their oil derrick into a 40-ft potted redwood tree.

Bob

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 am

Drawingablank wrote:
trilobyte wrote: It might be that they felt that either censoring or punishing the photographer was wrong. It might be that someone was familiar with the photographer by reputation, and only gave the gallery a cursory glance before it was submitted or added. I suspect it was more oversight than anything else. I don't believe that the intention in posting it was to glorify the use of feathers.

No doubt, but if the war on feather moop is to have any chance everyone from the top down needs to be on the same page.

Perhaps a campaign to encourage bars to not serve anyone wearing feathers would have more effect than any amount of talking.

So, for you, it's more important to "send a message" concerning a few bits of feather in the desert, than to preserve artistic freedom? I encourage you to re-think this stance. The last thing we need is censorship.

There are no dogs allowed either, and no personal fireworks and we don't need anyone being a playa granny concerning these. Why should feathers be any different?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 am

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Up The Academy. But I swear it was in something else too.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby delle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
So, for you, it's more important to "send a message" concerning a few bits of feather in the desert, than to preserve artistic freedom? I encourage you to re-think this stance. The last thing we need is censorship.

There are no dogs allowed either, and no personal fireworks and we don't need anyone being a playa granny concerning these. Why should feathers be any different?

Ouch.

Censorship? Really?

I think the issue is that although feathers are BANNED, we see what appears to be official tolerance of them in pictures. Official. Tolerance. Out there.

A picture is worth "a thousand words". The mixed message is huge, and unfortunately those thousand words go further for some than the written message that they are banned.

It's not surprising that so many are surprised by the rule once they get in here and actually read the rules.... or think "not MY feathers. My feathers are safe..... I've seen pictures of worse feathers out there".

It doesn't seem a stretch to be questioning the logic of the perceived support to me.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby VultureChow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

Has anyone ever gone "bird hunting" during Burning Man? My utility belt is just a repurposed bird hunting belt. I'm thinking super soaker plus a duck call would be fun. Stalk the playa looking for feather boas and then bag and tag them.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am

He who tickles ass with feather is Kinky.

He who tickles ass with the whole chicken is perverted.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 am

Well, there goes my plans to re-create Icarus at the burn.
icarus.jpg
Early Raver Icarus Brings Feathers to the Burn
icarus.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby VultureChow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

Wow. You weren't kidding. There are a shit ton of feathers.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

VultureChow wrote:Has anyone ever gone "bird hunting" during Burning Man? My utility belt is just a repurposed bird hunting belt. I'm thinking super soaker plus a duck call would be fun. Stalk the playa looking for feather boas and then bag and tag them.

Perhaps contact the MOOPczar? He fully supports boa-hunting expeditions.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Perhaps a campaign with the photographers (this could happen through Media Mecca)...
If they won't take pictures of feathered folk, in support of the ban,
maybe the feathered folk will get the idea.

This would also eliminate the impression of acceptance implied by seeing feather photos post-burn.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I understand and agree with the no feathers policy, but sometimes it seems like it is not taken too seriously by many.

A prime example is the current JRS newsletter which links to "AMAZING PHOTO GALLERY FROM DARREN KEITH" which has at least a dozen closeup photos of folks wearing lots of feathers.

Granted the gallery has some really nice stuff, but perhaps the policy should be to not promote photo galleries that have pics of people flaunting the no feathers rule.

I noticed the same thing. In fact for a while it seemed that every picture had a person in feathers. Like feather advertising. I agree that if "they" want the feather ban taken seriously, they need to be serious about it, and not promote it.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:

ahem....nice WEATHER we're having....
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Return to Open Discussion