KONY 2012

All things outside of Burning Man.

KONY 2012

Postby MisaBlue » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:20 pm

This is one of the greatest thing I just learned about...so I am spreading the word!

Trust me, it is worth watching it till the end.

Re: KONY 2012

Postby Elderberry » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Interesting. Never heard about that guy before.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Holy fucking viral video. I seriously haven't seen anything explode like this within a day in quite a while.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 pm

..and with reason. Amazing filmmaker. Wow. Just.. wow.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

While Kony is a monster of the worst sort, the group leading the current viral charge is not one I would get involved with. Opposing one war criminal while supporting another...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:48 am

Yeah, thank you Eric!

I was posting it late at night and it is important to add some of the wider view on this.

I read the article you linked. I really do like this one http://www.vice.com/read/should-i-donate-money-to-kony-2012-or-not

And especially questions he says loud there. It might lead to very interesting discussion.

...and after reading more of the articles, my decision is still not to be silent about this and spreading the word.
For me, it is more about humans than particularly one guy (no matter how evil).

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 am

passive activism ...hooray.

lets start selling ribbons and magnets.. 'support the children!'

where do i send my money ? what is the number i send a text message to?

when does the walk/run for the solution happen ?

i want the "i ran a 5k for the kids" t-shirt!

hoooray for passive activism!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 am

Lemur, sometimes I really have a hard time to understand you.

Do you think it is all just about buying t-shirt and ribbons?
Do you really think all the people will give 5 bucks and say: "Hooray, we saved the world?"

I would be very happy if people learn by this...to actually listen to information, start to search for them, and start to see both sides of the story...
but I might be just naive...

Well, I hoped this Kony 2012 could lead to wider discussion about nowadays problem.
30 000 children murdered by Kony is nothing.

There are so many other causes.

I still haven't get the strength to watch it till the end...

Postby tamarakay » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 am

Sometimes Lemur the information needs to get out there first. Yes, there will just be some who "post this on your wall to support." but in all that posting if it educates and gets someone else actually DOING then it served a purpose.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 am

MisaBlue wrote:I hoped this Kony 2012 could lead to wider discussion about nowadays problem.

this is surely the real problem!...that people werent already discussing the problems nowadays.. and spreading them in such a fashion already.... that theyd need a viral video to make them care

it appears nowadays that most people need to be punched in the face with an issue in the news or in the media before they really care........
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 am

lemur wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:I hoped this Kony 2012 could lead to wider discussion about nowadays problem.

this is surely the real problem!...that people werent already discussing the problems nowadays.. and spreading them in such a fashion already.... that theyd need a viral video to make them care

it appears nowadays that most people need to be punched in the face with an issue in the news or in the media before they really care........

And that is exactly what I think the "Kony" people found out, what they are doing and they are pretty good in it!
The y put the video on youtube on 5th March and it already was seen 26 700 000 times - that is more than impressive!!!
If even 10% of the people who get to see it start to really search information and get into the cause - hell that would be awesome.
And if even just 1% of them start to question nowadays problems and search other causes - c'mon, that would be fabulous.

From this point of view they did good job!!!

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 am

MisaBlue wrote:From this point of view they did good job!!!

Exactly. Even if their individual financials are questionable or whatever.. the point is awareness. I mean seriously.. the #1 most wanted man on the ICC list and 99.9% of the people on this planet have/had no idea who he was. It's all about awareness which leads to action if even a small percentage of those newly informed.
junglesmacks

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 am

junglesmacks wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:From this point of view they did good job!!!

Exactly. Even if their individual financials are questionable or whatever.. the point is awareness. I mean seriously.. the #1 most wanted man on the ICC list and 99.9% of the people on this planet have/had no idea who he was. It's all about awareness which leads to action if even a small percentage of those newly informed.

Is it really so much they earn?

Yes, Junglesmacks, I think the awareness is very important and not only about Kony, but in general. It is time for people to wake up.

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 am

$1 million in travel expenses for 3 people in a year.. that's some 5 star shit right there.

..but in all actuality, I wasn't pointing fingers or even attempting to validate the criticism.. just saying that irregardless of whatever beef some people or critics have with them (whatever that may be.. financials, etc) that bravo and hats off to them for a very well produced video that raises awareness.
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am

JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 am

junglesmacks wrote:$1 million in travel expenses for 3 people in a year.. that's some 5 star shit right there.

..but in all actuality, I wasn't pointing fingers or even attempting to validate the criticism.. just saying that irregardless of whatever beef some people or critics have with them (whatever that may be.. financials, etc) that bravo and hats off to them for a very well produced video that raises awareness.

Oh, I am not saying thing against because we are on the same boat!!!

(Where is it that they spent 1milion for 3 people traveling? I haven't found that...just curiosity)

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 am

MisaBlue wrote:(Where is it that they spent 1milion for 3 people traveling? I haven't found that...just curiosity)

Dammit.. I must have imagined it. I read this thread in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and then commented this morning. I could have sworn that's what it said but upon re-reading I can't find it anywhere. I digress.
junglesmacks

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

junglesmacks wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:(Where is it that they spent 1milion for 3 people traveling? I haven't found that...just curiosity)

Dammit.. I must have imagined it. I read this thread in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and then commented this morning. I could have sworn that's what it said but upon re-reading I can't find it anywhere. I digress.

May be it was in some of that articles...

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

I'm sure social scientists will be studying things like this for years to come. People today equate reposts, RT's, and page views with real and tangible actions when they're not. And more often in recent days, people play parrot (blindly reposting and retweeting) without comprehension or due diligence and end up getting hoaxed or duped by some of the dumbest things. Congratulations to all the Kony parrots, you're backing a different set of monsters in a complicated situation you don't really understand. Worse, the net impact of the misguided awareness may very well lead to those guys getting financial backing or political favors that allow them to kill many innocent people.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

MisaBlue wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

May be it was in some of that articles...

Yeah it was.. I swear it was..
junglesmacks

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

As blindly as were people reposting the video, lot of them are now blindly reposting articles about it being scam.
And truth is, a major of the articles are now based on one in the origin...so even the authors are not researching
properly.

To be honest, when I read the article by Joshua Keating (last posted by Trilo), I had the idea that me and him were watching the different video.

Well, my perception of the word scam might be different because I am not English speaking (as first language).
So, is the meaning of scam same as deception, i.e. (for me) totally false?

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am

MisaBlue wrote:As blindly as were people reposting the video, lot of them are now blindly reposting articles about it being scam.
And truth is, a major of the articles are now based on one in the origin...so even the authors are not researching
properly.

To be honest, when I read the article by Joshua Keating (last posted by Trilo), I had the idea that me and him were watching the different video.

Well, my perception of the word scam might be different because I am not English speaking (as first language).
So, is the meaning of scam same as deception, i.e. (for me) totally false?

Scam doesn't mean exactly totally false. It means more along the lines of trying to raise money for something by being less than honest about it.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 am

Invisible Children 2011 Financials:

http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/ima ... 1320205055

The video damn sure got my attention yesterday. But I'm from Missouri, the Show Me State and you've got to show me proof on things. If you can't show me and you got my attention I start digging...I'm pretty good at that too. The deeper I dig into Invisible Children though...the more cloudy it seems to get. Being around a lot of startups lately has skewed my view of budgets....1 Mil for travel? Doesn't even raise an eyebrow. So I've kinda dismissed the budget controversy now that the numbers are being made available. What does bug me is the convenient omission of facts. Around the 15 min mark in the video they say Kony's not in Uganda anymore. Great. But they don't touch on what it's going to take to root this evil bastard out. All this heated hype is going to build until what happens? Does the US launch another military mission? How many more troops will die to get this guy hauled out to The Hague, and then where does things go from there? And after he leaves, what do they intend to do to try and clean up the mess, the physical, psychological, disaster that will cripple that region for a couple of generations at best. Will the money raised at the point Kony is extracted go to pay for nice houses and luxury items, or will it continue to flow to Africa and do the work that needs to be done? All the hard questions get skipped for a 30 min condensed, packaged, slickly produced (and don't say it's not as it got your attention, did it not?) fund raising effort that raises the bar on how to do it...and fast!

The #KONY2012 effort is going to only get more intense...but I think I'll continue my work on behalf of the Occupy movement and let the Kony-ites blow over like a glancing blow from a passing hurricane. When it's done you learn what worked, what didn't for them, and use that info to strengthen your own causes and move on.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am

trilobyte wrote:I'm sure social scientists will be studying things like this for years to come. People today equate reposts, RT's, and page views with real and tangible actions when they're not.

It's not so very different from the past. Okay, I'm resorting to novels, but remember Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird going to some missionary society meetings? Or Jane's cousin in Jane Eyre going off to africa(?) to save souls? People naturally want to ease suffering. But we like our comforts, too. We like things to be easy. We like to be able to not have to think too hard.
Sadly, it does mean that various charletons divert well-meant funds to lining their own pockets. And when I greenpeace asks me to take a few minutes to "save the environment" when I'm headed to BART after work, I pretty much want to give them rolling stinkeye...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am

Uh, sure, let's invade Uganda and shoot all the bad people.
The world is real simple and we have lots of money to burn.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Uh, sure, let's invade Uganda and shoot all the bad people.

We'd have to include the current Ugandan government- they're the one with the "kill the gays" bill...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

Is there a way for former colonial nations, or citizens of former colonial nations, to be engaged with former colonies (its own or others) and help them out of the huge post-colonial violence? Or is the best thing we can do just let them work out the whole mess on their own?
Do we have a moral obligation?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am

Eric wrote:

We'd have to include the current Ugandan government- they're the one with the "kill the gays" bill...

*inchoate head shaking and sputtering*
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am

I think I agree with lemur on certain points. Even though passive activism has the potential of revolutionizing changes and ideas, something about it doesn't sit very well with me.
And there is something about the scale of things that's so impacting. I was reminded of this dialogue by Eddie Izzard...
"if somebody kills someone, that’s murder, you go to prison. You kill 10 people, you go to Texas, they hit you with a brick, that’s what they do. Twenty people, you go to a hospital, they look through a small window at you forever. And over that, we can’t deal with it, you know? Someone’s killed 100,000 people. We’re almost going, “ÖWell done! You killed 100,000 people? Ahhh. You must get up very early in the morning."

Don't mistake, I did share the video on facebook and extended my support. But it took me an hour to decide if I should do it.

The causes and such videos are necessary to increase awareness. We learn a lot through visuals.
But for most of us, it's a two minute sound byte. And unfortunately, goes no further.
For instance, I might only buy the bracelet if I can sit at my spot and order it online. If one has to, lets say, go to post office and buy the bracelet to support the cause, most of us won't do it.
And its a sad truth that our support and care is only as far as we see it fit in our convenient schedules (ofcourse I only represent a certain part of an insensitive generation).
But I ask myself "Just because I share it, does it mean I care?" I think not. I still think that its only the few people who are not afraid to get in the dirt that really make any difference.
And most often these people are ready to get in the dirt because they have personally witnessed these horrors.

Then there is a question of "how are these rebels so powerful and well-equipped?". Most rebel groups are strongly supported by high and mighty.
They have the latest weaponary at their disposal. hmmm... where do they get that from?
Its a well known fact that globally, pharmaceutical industries, arms and such have considered most third world countries as an experimentation ground.
There is a huge political aspect in all of this. Honestly, I don't think Kony will be captured until he becomes a liability to the powerful few.
And I see how his name staying on top of news can slowly make him a liability. So yayy for that!

signing off
- Cynical Wh..sh
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 am

Eric wrote:

Yeah, and heck, Sudan is right next door. While we're invading Iran and Syria, why not straighten out all those Bad People in Africa too?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Next

Return to Open Discussion