Burning Man Personals?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Burning Man Personals?

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 am

I wasn't posting about using the site, but the site's behavior, as reported on many other sites and self evident.

How exactly do you think you can spot a well crafted profile, or one that is legit, but stolen?

I have never posted on one of these sites myself, so can't speak to that.
I do know of one local person on pof with many health issues that got married, but I have no idea if the marriage is related to the site.
Didn't seem polite to ask.
I also know two female scammers that post on there regularly.

And I know there is a difference between running a legit site and leaving profiles up for years after people tried to remove them (like myspace) and letting scammers run wild, while simultaneously strictly suppressing onboard criticism that threatens the advert profits.
And sending fake messages?
How is this all right?

i don't have any issues with meeting people online.
Obviously.
I'm on here with you bozos.

I'm actually developing a niche social forum for an underserved group, which will probably be used mostly for dating, though I want to encourage general conversation.
I can guarantee there will be no fakery, and no mods running wild, as I've seen on pof and other forums.
It won't be burner oriented.
gyre

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 am

junglesmacks wrote:
gyre wrote:Was that a question from Yggie or just general mysticism?

JS, are you saying the allegations are not true, or that you don't care?

How are fake profiles and messages generational?

I'm saying that with anything, caveat emptor. I never saw too many. Maybe a Russian mail order bride here and there.. but 98% are legit. It's just all what you make of it like anything else. You learn to spot fake posts just like you spot spam on eplaya. It's really not hard and you just laugh at the gibberish and move on. Does spam on eplaya upset you so much that you slam the laptop lid down in disgust?

Generational meaning that within my age demographic of 21-35 that internet dating is WAY more commonplace than say 45-55. There may be a good amount more fakes in the age range that you're searching for, I dunno.. or maybe you're salted that no one is answering you so you assume that they're all fakes.. but.. for this demographic, I swear that at least half if not 2/3 of all the couples that I know met online. Literally. It's not an obscure, hidden thing anymore.. it's totally normal and accepted. If you're not a common douche, stand out amongst the throngs that are, act like someone with a brain and substance, then you have no problem.

I actually found it/find it super entertaining.. I love meeting people that I would never come into contact with normally. I've made lifelong friends and contacts and business contacts and girlfriends and now my fiancee for the last 2 years who I love to death and who is as much at home in our community as any one of you all. To me, it's the same exact thing as meeting someone just "around". These days we all have a tendency to get so involved with our work/social bubble that it gets hard to meet someone outside of that. Also, when I'm "out".. as in.. having drinks, whatever.. I just don't walk over and start talking to girls/women in a pick up kind of way. That's just not me. I'm with friends, I'm having fun.. but I'll appreciate from afar. In turn, girls that get picked up in bars or clubs aren't the kind that I really want to hang around anyway. So what do you do? I always found that the majority of women online were educated, with good jobs/careers and came in every variety/shape/personality/existence that you could think of.. and all in one spot. Ta dah!

God bless the internet, seriously.

Yeah, I've met the last 4-5 women I've dated on OKC and it takes effort but it definitely works. My current girlfriend there's no way I would have met her otherwise, as we're in completely different lines of work and lived about 30 miles away from one another. I've found the more effort you put into your profile and your messages to people the more likely they'll take you seriously and reply. As far as age goes, I've seen lots of people over 40 on there, but perhaps that varies from region to region.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Im on both POF and OKC. Both suck in my opionion. Lots of stuck up guys and I have in my profile what im looking for... I get a 180 from that emailing me. Like I said single for 4 years.... going on another 4 at this pace.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Find a place where you have to pay to get in and you will find a better class of baboons. I guarantee.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Im on both POF and OKC. Both suck in my opionion. Lots of stuck up guys and I have in my profile what im looking for... I get a 180 from that emailing me. Like I said single for 4 years.... going on another 4 at this pace.

I always wondered what it was like on those sites from a woman's perspective. ;) That's kind of how I imagined it. hehe. For me, it was a lot more productive if I sought people out who I thought were interesting vs letting them try and find me.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
mudpuppy000

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Actually, vice versa for me. All the ones that really worked out were the ones with hidden profiles that came out of the woodwork just to make contact with me.

So much of anything in life is how you sell it. I'm bald, and for a 'living' I sell shampoo. Put it that way.

:lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Hell I have emailed a few guys with a 96% match and like a 86% friend match and I do not hear a work back from them. I think I emailed like 15 burners and only heard back from 2. :( I hope I will at least be able to find someone I like out there to snuggle with :(
tattoogoddess

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Hell I have emailed a few guys with a 96% match and like a 86% friend match and I do not hear a work back from them. I think I emailed like 15 burners and only heard back from 2. :( I hope I will at least be able to find someone I like out there to snuggle with :(

Have you been to the playa before? If not, im sure your gonna meet someone. In 04 I met a great woman from a camp next door to me. We spent the whole week together, and it was a blast. The downside was she lived in another state, so we decided to be playa lovers only.

In the 12 years i have been going, I have met a love interest every time. Of course it doesnt hurt that I am super hot... ;-)
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby Herring » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:Ok Cupid is pretty user friendly though (and free), and you can do keyword searches for people's interests. People tend to put a lot of effort into their profiles on there.

Seconded! I met my ex through okc, and he introduced me to my current beau. And my sister met her boyfriend through it too. You still have to slog through a bunch of weirdos who have nothing in common with you, and a bunch of flakes who do have lots in common with you and never respond, but it's easier than craigslist, still free, and the quizzes make it fun to pass the time.

Make a burner quiz!
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby International Incident » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:32 am

I tried internet dating for a bit. I met a couple of wonderful people. It would be nice to meet someone who “gets” BM and lives in Melbourne - but the chance of that is about zero. So anyway I have sworn off relationships (and sex). I’m nearly 40 and I’m done with it. But to those that wish to pursue setting up a BM personal in the USA I say “Do It” - it’s a do-ocracy. :D

(That said, I really want a green card - anyone want to trade for a Aust visa?... and if officials are watching this board I am just joking).
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 am

I don't think it's hard for americans to get visas.

I can't imagine that burny is that hard to find in australia.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am

So you're condemned to a life of loneliness because of Burning Man?
Damn you Larry!
Ugly Dougly

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:So you're condemned to a life of loneliness because of Burning Man?
Damn you Larry!

First the ticket lottery, now this!
Orphan Endorphin Camp
mudpuppy000

Postby International Incident » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:So you're condemned to a life of loneliness because of Burning Man?
Damn you Larry!

Ha! No. Not lonely at all. Single does not equal lonely
My single status has nothing to do with BM. I can blame Larry for many things, but not that!
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, swearing off relationships (and sex) is pretty drastic.
I think Larry owes you some action. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:22 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
Damn you Larry!

:lol: :lol:

tattoogoddess wrote:Hell I have emailed a few guys with a 96% match and like a 86% friend match and I do not hear a work back from them. I think I emailed like 15 burners and only heard back from 2. :( I hope I will at least be able to find someone I like out there to snuggle with :(

That's actually a much better way to go about it--just seeing what happens. Trying to meet up with a Specific Someone out there is hard enough. I could see making the attempt to cross paths if a certain person were unnaturally amazing, and you realized you were both going to the Burn (although this would then set expectations criminally high, wouldn't it?)

So let go, & try not to anticipate it. Easier said than done, but . . . people who look too hard are often disappointed.

Will you meet the love of your life? Probably not--but if you do, he'll be like . . . 40 feet tall & wired with explosives (& you'll have to share him with the rest of us).

Will you get snuggles? Quite possibly! You'll probably meet a lot of friendly people in glorious moods.
Savannah

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Snuggles would make me happy. I in no way think I will find the love of my life out there. So I just want to do what makes me happyest when I am dating someone... snuggling. It is amazing what a longgggggggggggggg hug can do for me.
tattoogoddess

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 pm

melaniejane wrote:I tried internet dating for a bit. I met a couple of wonderful people. It would be nice to meet someone who “gets” BM and lives in Melbourne - but the chance of that is about zero. So anyway I have sworn off relationships (and sex). I’m nearly 40 and I’m done with it. But to those that wish to pursue setting up a BM personal in the USA I say “Do It” - it’s a do-ocracy. :D

(That said, I really want a green card - anyone want to trade for a Aust visa?... and if officials are watching this board I am just joking).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

damn
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Snuggles would make me happy. I in no way think I will find the love of my life out there. So I just want to do what makes me happyest when I am dating someone... snuggling. It is amazing what a longgggggggggggggg hug can do for me.

Makes note in www for snugglehug with ttg!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

Take a number, pal. ;)
Tats, would it be worthwhile to move your fine self to the left coast?
Ugly Dougly

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 pm

I used to live in oregon actually. I do miss it quite a bit. Lived in cali for a while to (LA) I have been giving some thought to going back because of the industry I am in.
tattoogoddess

Postby wh..sh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 pm

yes tg, you could be the awesome-est hair stylist in LA! :)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I dunno. the competition there must be hideous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MrMullen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Met my wife on OkCupid! Okay, she is not a Burner, but to be honest, I don't think I could marry a Burner. Certain things in my life must be stable, for example, Must Be No Drama, Must Make Money, Must Have Some Drive, Must Be Emotionally Stable, Must Be In Same City As Me, Must Be Drug Free, Must Be (Mostly) Alcohol Free. Sorry, but the vast majority of Burners are not more than 3 of those. I have met some seriously awesome women at Burning Man, but they always live in a different part of the world than me.

Meeting people on OkC is requires a good amount of up front work, since you need to make a good profile and answer all those questions. However, once you have done that, you start getting matched up with people pretty quickly and you can start contacting them. The other thing I liked about OkC was that it was really easy to figure out if someone was not up to par either through poorly written profiles or their questions did match yours. Also, scammers are not going to write up full profiles and answer all those questions. Only real people do.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby lucky420 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm

melaniejane
Not lonely at all. Single does not equal lonely

I think I know exactly where you are coming from(and I don't mean Melbourne) 8)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Pop_Tart » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm

In Los Angeles, I've been stuck with Vector Dating... Intelligent, Attractive, Available... Pick Two... :lol:
Pop_Tart

Camp Name: MalMart

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:18 pm

MrMullen wrote:Met my wife on OkCupid! Okay, she is not a Burner, but to be honest, I don't think I could marry a Burner. Certain things in my life must be stable, for example, Must Be No Drama, Must Make Money, Must Have Some Drive, Must Be Emotionally Stable, Must Be In Same City As Me, Must Be Drug Free, Must Be (Mostly) Alcohol Free. Sorry, but the vast majority of Burners are not more than 3 of those. I have met some seriously awesome women at Burning Man, but they always live in a different part of the world than me.

Haha, same here. My g/f is an artist and actually went to burning man back in 2000 or so, but I wouldn't really describe either of us as the average burner, whatever the hell that is. ;)
Orphan Endorphin Camp
mudpuppy000

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:52 pm

tattoogoddess

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 pm

lucky420 wrote:
melaniejane
Not lonely at all. Single does not equal lonely

I think I know exactly where you are coming from(and I don't mean Melbourne) 8)

I understand that. I know, I'm married, but we spent months and even years apart, and days on end even now. I'd sure as hell miss the sex though. Fat, creaky and old doesn't find many men willing to learn the unique topography.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maryanimal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm

gyre wrote:I can guarantee there will be no fakery, and no mods running wild, as I've seen on pof and other forums.
It won't be burner oriented.

INFIDEL!!!

heeheehee
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion