Pregnant lady sleeping on bare floor

All things outside of Burning Man.

Pregnant lady sleeping on bare floor

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:45 pm

I subscribe to the local Freecycle e-mail list, where people post items they wish to give away, or items they would like to pick up for free. I have both gifted and received, large and small things -- it works very well.

But rather often a certain type of post comes across the wire, and... maybe I'm a sentimental old fart, but it breaks my heart to read posts like this one, which showed up today:

My friend has little money just enough to pay rent and has nothing for her baby girl coming in July anything would help and also needs things for her apt she's currently sleeping om the floor and is in tears all the time so if u have anything it would be a blessing thank you

Perhaps she has largely herself to thank for getting into such a preposterous situation, but this should still not be necessary in the World's richest country. At least the baby deserves a fair shot at life. And that's why I lean toward the "left" side of the political spectrum.

Just needed to get that off my chest.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Re: Pregnant lady sleeping on bare floor

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Elliot wrote:I subscribe to the local Freecycle e-mail list, where people post items they wish to give away, or items they would like to pick up for free. I have both gifted and received, large and small things -- it works very well.

But rather often a certain type of post comes across the wire, and... maybe I'm a sentimental old fart, but it breaks my heart to read posts like this one, which showed up today:

My friend has little money just enough to pay rent and has nothing for her baby girl coming in July anything would help and also needs things for her apt she's currently sleeping om the floor and is in tears all the time so if u have anything it would be a blessing thank you

Perhaps she has largely herself to thank for getting into such a preposterous situation, but this should still not be necessary in the World's richest country. At least the baby deserves a fair shot at life. And that's why I lean toward the "left" side of the political spectrum.

see, and I see it as not the governments job/business, to give her a bed......I see it as other humans, who read that. Why, can't we just help each other?
YEAH, I know, scale and all that. But, if someone out there, gave her a mattress, or whatever, it'd do so much, for forming friendship, trust in fellow man, and community.
Instead, some folks instantly declare: "the government should do something", and totally abdicate their own responsibility, as humans, neighbors, and friends. Add to that, the government, will spend 500 bucks, on a bed, that should cost 200, and would be free from a concerned person.

That's why I'm a anarchist, or at least lean far that way.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm

A valid view point, my friend. And I agree with much you say. In fact, I may have (as usual) expressed myself poorly. Perhaps I should not have used the phrase "political spectrum" -- note I made no reference to government. What would be a better term?... Social spectrum? Humanitarian spectrum? Altruistic spectrum? Neighborly teamwork spectrum? Brotherhood of humanity?

My first thought was "Do I still have the almost-unused guest bed from my former (larger) house?" That would indeed be better than involving government. I just suspect that this lady has already fallen below where some sort of safety net ought to be, and no such safety net exists. Several groups try -- Salvation Army and such -- but people keep falling thru. (Next, I could tell about the 82 year old man sleeping in a junk car for three weeks in this town, just a few months ago.)

If conventional politics must be included in this discussion, then I reckon someone on the "left" side would be more likely to gift a spare bed than someone on the "right" side. Does that make any sense?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Elliot wrote:A valid view point, my friend. And I agree with much you say. In fact, I may have (as usual) expressed myself poorly. Perhaps I should not have used the phrase "political spectrum" -- note I made no reference to government. What would be a better term?... Social spectrum? Humanitarian spectrum? Altruistic spectrum? Neighborly teamwork spectrum? Brotherhood of humanity?

My first thought was "Do I still have the almost-unused guest bed from my former (larger) house?" That would indeed be better than involving government. I just suspect that this lady has already fallen below where some sort of safety net ought to be, and no such safety net exists. Several groups try -- Salvation Army and such -- but people keep falling thru. (Next, I could tell about the 82 year old man sleeping in a junk car for three weeks in this town, just a few months ago.)

If conventional politics must be included in this discussion, then I reckon someone on the "left" side would be more likely to gift a spare bed than someone on the "right" side. Does that make any sense?

well, yeah it makes sense......except, I disagree someone on "the left" is any more likely to help and someone "on the right"..........I think mostly, we all dwell somewhere near the middle, and as humans, would help. Sure, the extremes are what they are. and I'd see the extreme right saying "get a job and buy one" and the extreme left saying "lets tax more, and buy everyone a mattress"

.........but see, to me, its why, as humans, we need to care, and help.
she'd not have "fallen through" if someone just stepped up, and helped, directly. See a need, help if you can. If we'd just do that more, we'd find, it would grow as an idea......and we'd make friends with strangers and neighbors, we'd have trust and caring, for them, and form community spirit, where we take care of our own, .......and we'd not need "big brother"...........

Of course, that's antithetical, to big government. They want us, to depend on them, for everything, to look to them, for everything.......and to give them everything, so they may dole it back out to us, and we thank them, for giving us what we already had.............

*steps off soapbox*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Giving this a nudge over to Open Discussion.

Interesting topic. I don't know enough about the freecycle community, but something about it seems a little suspicious. Regardless of whether it's legitimate or not, I can totally see these kinds of situations happening in one of the world's richest countries. But hey, we (the US) are tops when it comes to imprisonment of its citizens :mrgreen:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Well, if the government provided her the bed, at least she could be sure it didn't come with bed bugs.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Elliot wrote:

SHOW US YOUR CHEST!!!

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 am

ygmir wrote: See a need, help if you can. ...it would grow as an idea......and we'd make friends with strangers and neighbors, ...and form community spirit,...

Now we're getting somewhere!
...grow as an idea... that's spreading our Burner ethos.
...community spirit... that's the phrase I was looking for.

I've been on this Freecycle list for years now, and I don't see anything suspicious about it. Nothing commercial or otherwise devious that I can see. They have them in towns large and small. They are simply Yahoo user groups. Granted, someone could receive free goods for resale, and we wouldn't likely know. But there are crooks everywhere.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby goathead » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:34 am

why do girls play naked with pieces of shit?
where is her family?
where is the POS she played with????

what is the cost of a fucking rubber?

i might talk shit here , if I knew her i would give her a warm place to stay.

DVD has the right frame of mind

GIRLS

QUIT

Fucking MORONS......

How do you teach that?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am

This does break my heart. I see it a lot on our freecycle too, women newly divorced who have nothing because they fled their husbands.

I freecycle often, for the most part it works out okay. Small enough community here I know who the hoarders are, and who the resellers are. I get to choose who gets what, so most of the time I know my old stuff is going straight into the hands of those in need.

I don't have a way to go pick stuff up, so I only posts offers, never wants or requests for offers.

Oddly, we have an new truck mattress wrapped in plastic in the shed, but no one has wanted it. Someone will. Heck, it would be great at Burning Man, it folds in half lengthwise, so it can be a couch too.

Some POS broke into a charity in Salt Lake this week, one which helps families and kids affected by mental illness. They stole clothes, kid's games, toys and DVDs, all the blankets and bedding, and even the hygiene kits. Who steals from a fucking charity?!?!

http://connect2utah.com/news/features/l ... html?wap=0

(link in the news report is broken: http://pjsforgottenchildren.org/)
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 am

goathead wrote:what is the cost of a fucking rubber?

Now there is a task for government, world wide. Unlimited free condoms. Just pick'em up by the case in any grocery store, no charge. I can see nothing but benefits to society.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 am

Elliot wrote:

Now there is a task for government, world wide. Unlimited free condoms. Just pick'em up by the case in any grocery store, no charge. I can see nothing but benefits to society.

Water balloons for everyone!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 am

That is heartbreaking, and I agree that such things should not happen in the US.

I would not be so quick to judge about how she became pregnant though - there are several scenarios that may have occurred that do not necessarily mean she did something stupid (doesn't mean she didn't either, but no way to know).

As for Freecycle, it is great. I declutter my house with it - stuff that is not worth shipping / ebaying, but that I can't bring myself to just throw away. I even almost scored a really nice kiln on it but was 5 minutes too slow. People give away some amazing things on it - and some not so amazing things (like last year's calendar lol).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby wh..sh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Drawingablank wrote:That is heartbreaking, and I agree that such things should not happen in the US.

or anywhere.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey, I am a sentimental old fart too!

But beware! I smell a honey trap! Please don't be gullible.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

This is a type of post often run as a scam.
You will often see people posting that they offered furniture and only cash was wanted.

People do need furniture, but the only problem anyone has getting a mattress is transport.
As said, use reason.

And yes, there are people collecting stuff for resale.

Re: Ygmir running into someone needing gas, there are pros doing this all day.
I offered gas to someone once and they couldn't come up with a car to put it in.
Not that you don't see people out of gas, in an area surrounded by large rural areas.

Desperation?
I once drove past someone at three in the morning waving cash at cars.
I finally couldn't resist hearing this story, so I got my gun out and went back.
He had a long story about doctors, his wife, and trying to get back home with car issues from a long distance.
He was almost home, so I gave him a ride.
I was really afraid he'd get shot doing what he was doing.
He was only a mile from home but exhausted.
He was having that much trouble getting a ride, that he was waving cash.

I can sympathize, but I've never seen that before.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Elliot wrote:

Mention that to Rush Limbaugh... He thinks that sexual activity makes women "sluts."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Mention that to Rush Limbaugh... He thinks that sexual activity makes women "sluts."

That rightfully deserves a place in WTF thread!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:49 pm

gyre wrote:This is a type of post often run as a scam.

Another kind of scam I've run into is "Sorry, the X is taken, but are you interested in making $20 an hour from home? Here, sign up for my pyramid scheme!"

But I got that from Craig's List, not Freecycle. Most times when I respond to a Freecycle ad, I'll get a kind "Sorry, but it's already been claimed" and maybe even a "thank you." Maybe the San Diego Freecycle list is just better policed than other cities'?

At any rate, I recommend Freecycle for burners. I've often seen things that might be useful, such as 5 gallon buckets or 2 gallon water jugs. Plus, as the name implies, it puts stuff to good use instead of sending it to the landfill.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elliot wrote:

Mention that to Rush Limbaugh... He thinks that sexual activity makes women "sluts."

I guess we should listen to the adultrous drug addict then. :)
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:06 am

I know our local freecycle is heavily moderated. Easy to get kicked off.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby goathead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:44 am

Elliot wrote:

as cheap as they are what is the excuse for not using them now?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby knowmad » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:11 am

jkisha wrote:Well, if the government provided her the bed, at least she could be sure it didn't come with bed bugs.

one thing the broken treaties taught us, Never Trust Goverment Bedding!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby OregonRed » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 am

goathead wrote:
Elliot wrote:

I can think of a few excuses.
1) Latex allergies.: Yes there are non-latex condoms, but around here they cost about $9 for 3 condoms. That's expensive.
2) Abusive relationship: My ex-husband (gem that he was) refused to use condoms with me regardless of whether or not I wanted to get pregnant. He said he shouldn't have to use condoms with his wife.
3) Faith in primary birth control This has gotten many women (myself included, have you met JekJek?).
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:50 am

OregonRed wrote:
goathead wrote:

1) Latex allergies.: Yes there are non-latex condoms, but around here they cost about $9 for 3 condoms. That's expensive.
2) Abusive relationship: My ex-husband (gem that he was) refused to use condoms with me regardless of whether or not I wanted to get pregnant. He said he shouldn't have to use condoms with his wife.
3) Faith in primary birth control This has gotten many women (myself included, have you met JekJek?).

OY OY OY

There are 3 good reasons right there why women need all kinds of choices for birth control, and easy access to expert advice and assistance.

Pregnancy, remember, is not always voluntary, and is rarely entirely benign. It is fatal much more often than most people know, and maternal mortality rates are going up in this country. :?

Right now, as I type, a young woman and her tiny preemie baby are on their way to different ICUs in my hospital, and we are afraid that neither one will make it. :( Saving them, if we can, will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they can ever pay.

From where I sit I can't imagine why any sensible person could object to birth control.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I've busted a condom. Early generation non-latex Durex brand, could not stand up to my massive girth. Thank gosh for PP.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elliot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:50 pm

As cheap as condoms are, what is the excuse for not using them now?

In this county, there are plenty of people who quite literally do not have two coins to rub together. So when it comes down to keeping the electricity on or buying condoms....

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby goathead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:56 pm

OregonRed wrote:

1 $3 is less expensive then a Corona at Joe's in Gerlach.

2 Looking back where there sign's you missed? My entire life I have seen girls/boys fall into these relationships and wondered, why?

3 Faith in primary control is a very valid issue.

JekJek, name rings a bell but no, not right off hand.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby goathead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Elliot wrote:
As cheap as condoms are, what is the excuse for not using them now?

In this county, there are plenty of people who quite literally do not have two coins to rub together. So when it comes down to keeping the electricity on or buying condoms....

comes down to choices.
if you can't take care of yourself, how the fuck you going to take care of, or help anyone else?

e-playa acting weird....
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby goathead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Bob wrote:I've busted a condom. Early generation non-latex Durex brand, could not stand up to my massive girth. Thank gosh for PP.

here you go Bob

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Next

Return to Open Discussion