Burning Man: The Early Years

All things outside of Burning Man.

Burning Man: The Early Years

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Nipple wrote:Burning Man Ticketing: Not catching breaks since 1914!

:lol:

Oh man, wouldn't it be a kick if it turned out that Burning Man was way older than we thought, but the records had been lost?

After 5 days in the stagecoach, we arrived on a parched lake-bed and were spanked by the Natives. We drove 5 miles per hour to the campsite, which is to say, at half-speed. My husband fed the horses a concoction of sugary salt water he calls "Horse-Ade" and readjusted their goggles before we bedded down for the night. The orchestra played all night long. This morning I ran around camp without a petticoat under my skirt. I have never felt so free.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: trying to register, but site isn't available?

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Think of the steampunks as temporally displaced early burners :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 pm

so there's a little steampunk in every burner perhaps :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Nipple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Savannah wrote:

Oh man, wouldn't it be a kick if it turned out that Burning Man was way older than we thought, but the records had been lost?

After 5 days in the stagecoach, we arrived on a parched lake-bed and were spanked by the Natives. We drove 5 miles per hour to the campsite, which is to say, at half-speed. My husband fed the horses a concoction of sugary salt water he calls "Horse-Ade" and readjusted their goggles before we bedded down for the night. The orchestra played all night long. This morning I ran around camp without a petticoat under my skirt. I have never felt so free.

HAH! I love your verson of YeOldePlaya!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 pm

I may have consumed laudanum to excess, and have awakened in a priest's cassock, with no priest. I'm in the shade of a place called Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro. I asked the citizens what a Barbie might be, and they admit that they did not know themselves, but that their founder was beset by visions of a great evil several generations hence: a grown man who plays with poppets & shares wine but monopolizes absinthe, and invites unsuspecting people into the back of his tawdry zeppelin for gambling and white slavery.

Am going to the medical tent for the application of leeches and a good birching.
Savannah

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Savannah wrote:I may have consumed laudanum to excess, and have awakened in a priest's cassock, with no priest. I'm in the shade of a place called Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro. I asked the citizens what a Barbie might be, and they admit that they did not know themselves, but that their founder was beset by visions of a great evil several generations hence: a grown man who plays with poppets & shares wine but monopolizes absinthe, and invites unsuspecting people into the back of his tawdry zeppelin for gambling and white slavery.

Am going to the medical tent for the application of leeches and a good birching.

I do enjoy a good birching...I think 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Savannah wrote:

I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah

Postby andromeda23 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks people! We have registered and eagerly await our tickets!
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh
andromeda23

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 pm

ready for this...I go to my bank to purchase a seperate visa card with the amount I need to buy the tickets..They have a 500.00 limit so it would have to be on 2 cards :roll: ...Um yeah...no I told the teller. I called sprawl mart and they can do cards for up to 1100.00. Just thought I'd pass along my experience so save someone some grief.
jella

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Whew! :shock: Good tip, Jella.
Savannah

Postby burner von braun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Awoke to a splendid sunrise, and commenced to cooking bacon over our campfire. Thankful to have brought water enough for our journey. The native people dress in a peculiar and colorful manner, and some seem unconcerned that they wear no pants of any sort. Yet they seem to have adjusted to this harsh and difficult climate right well. No matter, we shall be departing from here in a week, or thereabouts. Tis a sight to see how we have reused parts and cobbled them together to near unrecognizability in our effort to make repair to our wagons. In the interim, Lawrence has set about scouring the nearby hills, collecting wood for a large fire he intends to set alight later in the week. He keeps muttering forth about wanting to build a man, whatever that means. We are highly concerned.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Best thread drift ever. :!:
Elliot's Nude Bicycle Bar & Rude Piano Playing - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Savannah wrote:

Actually not too far off, 1924 to be exact.

http://www.zozobra.com/history.html

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, but the event has just as many similarities with much older stuff like Fais Tailten (ancient irish festival) and other bits of cultural goodness.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Elliot wrote:Best thread drift ever. :!:

Indeed!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yeah, but the event has just as many similarities with much older stuff like Fais Tailten (ancient irish festival) and other bits of cultural goodness.

Except that they don't burn a man, and Zozobra does.

hold on, what the hell is a "Fais Tailten"?(it made my computer hiccup).
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Actually not too far off, 1924 to be exact.
http://www.zozobra.com/history.html.

It is stuffed with bushels of shredded paper, which traditionally includes obsolete police reports, paid off mortgage papers, and even personal divorce papers.

A Man and a Temple in one!

(Technically, the camp is called Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station, but that sounds boring. We can do better.)

Elliot

Postby Patsh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Burned a couple of Guys, at my little place on the mountain over the years. :mrgreen:

Guy Fawkes, that is.

(*hoping to hear more from 1848...*)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Savannah wrote:Whew! :shock: Good tip, Jella.

WalMart lied !! they could only do a card up to 500 just like my bank..I guess they just changed their policy....karma was messin with my burn I thought....presevere I did and found that Vons grocery can sell you a 500.00 card but has the ability to add more funds right away, tada we are in da lottery !
jella

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Triken wrote:Burned a couple of Guys, at my little place on the mountain over the years. :mrgreen:

Guy Fawkes, that is.

(*hoping to hear more from 1848...*)

I departed my encampment with the thought of seeking out a public water closet and eventually achieved success, and have made the acquaintance of Duchess Robb of Dobb and Sir Gonzo Frothwood, although--scandalously enough--our meeting was very informal. Foolishly lacking my bonnet, I hoped to stroll straight back for tea and watercress sandwiches, but--upon exiting the privy--was offered a ride on an art chariot lit by a pair of Hungarian castratos, who admired my well-turned ankles. Their forwardness left me feeling rather faint, but they meant no harm & offered me curious pastry and sherry for tea, and now I feel a good deal restored. (We were chased at length by an ill-tempered constable, but seem to have eluded him for now.) We are presently having a tour of rather stirring statuary. The sun does not seem at all where I thought it would be, and my corset is digging in a bit. Perhaps I should loosen my stays and if worse comes to worse, wear my corset on my head as a sort of sun-screen.

What a curious number of Scotsmen there are here.
Savannah

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:23 pm

What a lovely read this has become :)..please continue
jella

Postby Patsh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 pm

jella wrote:What a lovely read this has become :)..please continue

Yes, thank you .... Savannah, BVB, Vulture Chow......

(I'll make the popcorn....) :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

WalMart lied !!

Stop the presses!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 pm

There was an event held long ago with two steam locomotives run into each other at full speed for the crowd.

Fairly spectacular results.
gyre

Postby jella » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Oh Fishy I do not blame you in the least...I actually did call and confirm with the local "who shall not be named" and oh yes ma'am purred the Clerk I spoke with we can do them up to 1100.00 .....I swear I was followed back to my truck after I flashed my cash to the clerk who didn't know about the policy change until her register told her so :( It's been quite an adventure just qualifying to be in the lottery. this year is gonna be interseting to say the least.
jella

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Be careful, Jella.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Buying a hatchet and carrying it out of the store without a bag is a great deterrent, plus one can never have too many hatchets so it's a winwin.
oneeyeddick

Postby Milayna » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 am

This thread has been very entertaining :lol:
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 am

Meanwhile, at an other encampment in this veritable metropolis of dusty travelers, a damsel in distress pushes her mechanically incapacitated Safety Velocipede along the trail when she is hailed by an unsavory-looking blacksmith who appears to have gone frightfully native -- although he is drinking from a reasonably aristocratic pewter goblet.

“I say…” exclaims the rogue. “Would Her Ladyship wish to have her Velocipede mended?”

“Why, yes, that would be most welcome. But I fear such newfangled skills may be too dear for my modest purse.”

“Nonsense!” assures her the smith. “Coin is no good in these parts. I shall be honored to mend your velocipede’s tyre for the sport of it. Will MyLady take a spot of wine while she waits?”

A flurry of activity ensues, as the smith first pours wine from a large ice box which emits a low humming sound, then attacks the balky velocipede with several metallic instruments. Soon, the damsel is refreshed and the cycling apparatus restored to service.

“Off you go then, my lass!”

“Oh, my hero!” A smooching sound is heard.

…at Lake Lahontan, where all the….

Elliot

Next

Return to Open Discussion