New BBS Project...

All things outside of Burning Man.

New BBS Project...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 am

I don't know how many of you remember the old BBS dial-up days but a very small group are kicking around a similar idea using a fiber feed, tied to several laptops, with a few terragigs of space accessed directly by directly using the ip to log on, it think this is called "Peer to peer"(?). It is my understanding that in this manor you bypass the DNS servers. The BBS Software is on a private host server, not on some public server accessible by a .com name that can be blocked by the DBS owners. Any ideas how this can be done? Is anybody doing this now?

Remember "The Well" running Apache BBS Software using a 28 baud modem?...

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Re: New BBS Project...

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 am

I ran a WWIV bbs with a few games on it. The only new thing I know of is approaching beta and being done by Anon. It uses something similar to Tor and is supposed to be like a wiki. Supposedly untrceable, like Silk Road.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Dude.... that was so over my head...

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Yes IP addresses are not tied to DNS. Static IP addresses are, however, provided by a ISP -- which can be revoked.

There is no real untraceable action on the internet. Every system you connect to records something about your activity. If you are not on the same subnet as the system you connect to, you need to pass through different routers, each of those hops has the potential of recording your address (your mac address, ip address, where you came from, and your intended destination).
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 am

I'm thinking of a basic system to get started:

Laptop - saves power and can be run for long periods with minimal heat issues.

3-5 terrabites of Data Storage - external USB drives

WiFi Simcard Modem - a wifi node that runs off of a Cell Phone sim card. Even when the cell service is down you can access the data bank, and communicate through the Wifi node.

BBS software - running resident on the primary laptop

Video/walkie Talkie software to communicate between phones and desktop/laptops/pads

This should be enough to set up a basic local Internet, with access to files, and data, (medical, defensive, agricultural) books, libraries, using your smart phone, laptop, or tablet.

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Return to Open Discussion