2012 is going to be EPIC

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: 2012 is going to be EPIC

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 am

The tickets are already on sale and with choices like 48fps and 24fps, hell yeah!

It's funny that some people are requesting if they can watch the movie with me because their spouses won't go with them :D
It difficult to be the only nerd in the household.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 am

Buncha trolli.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby illy dilly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am

[media]
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby wh..sh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

:lol: :lol: In a very loving way... you, son of a gun!!

Btw, I have my tickets for the 14th!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby BAS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am

Someone on my Facebook lists has already seen it! (Lucky guy has a girlfriend with connections.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby wh..sh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

BAS wrote:Someone on my Facebook lists has already seen it! (Lucky guy has a girlfriend with connections.)

I am sure! I have a friend who is a movie critic and she gets movies to watch and review before the release date. Sometimes I go over to watch some.
They have very strict rules about not distributing the movies and such.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm

wh..sh wrote::lol: :lol: In a very loving way... you, son of a gun!!

Btw, I have my tickets for the 14th!

Jealous!!!
Actually, I'll probably wait a week or two, then go see it at some time. I really don't like crowded movie theaters. I'll probably see it on a late weeknight night, but before the local High Schools go on winter break.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby wh..sh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

illy dilly wrote:Jealous!!!
Actually, I'll probably wait a week or two, then go see it at some time. I really don't like crowded movie theaters. I'll probably see it on a late weeknight night, but before the local High Schools go on winter break.

Aww shucks! I am going with some nerd friends but I am sure I will have my chance to grab a DVD and watch it in the cozy solitude of my home.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby pink » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 pm

No tix for The Hobbit yet, but I did score the last spot at a friend's all day mega LOTR marathon viewing party. Why is it a score when I own all of the DVDs? Not only do I get to watch with 17 other total geeks, but they are serving three full meals with an LOTR theme between films. And one of the hosts makes chocolate covered bacon. 'Nuff said.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby lucky420 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Score=chocolate covered bacon
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 am

pink wrote:No tix for The Hobbit yet, but I did score the last spot at a friend's all day mega LOTR marathon viewing party. Why is it a score when I own all of the DVDs? Not only do I get to watch with 17 other total geeks, but they are serving three full meals with an LOTR theme between films. And one of the hosts makes chocolate covered bacon. 'Nuff said.

pink: the Seattle Police Department approves

From NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=166603893):
Police spokesman Jonah Spangenthal-Lee wrote on the SPD Blotter: "The police department believes that, under state law, you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a 'Lord of the Rings' marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to."
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:18 am

wh..sh wrote:The tickets are already on sale and with choices like 48fps and 24fps, hell yeah!

It's funny that some people are requesting if they can watch the movie with me because their spouses won't go with them :D
It difficult to be the only nerd in the household.

Wait, you have a CHOICE of NOT seeing this in HFR? Surely this is an evil plan.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 am

2012 equaled, if not came pretty damn close to, 2002. Now, its over.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby illy dilly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 pm

2 more days ya'll!!!!!

But, what is HFR 3D vs 3D?
Any one know?

EDIT: Oops- DUH! High Frame Rate
illy dilly

Postby wh..sh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

yeah, 48 frames per second as opposed to the standard 24 frames per second. Just makes the 3D quality better, I hear.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Then thats what I want!
I wont settle for anything less than the best Hobbit! Damn it!
illy dilly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm

HFR and 3D is not enough - I want a theatre I can go to barefoot.
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I hate watching movies at movie theaters, mostly because of the presence of the audience. The cell phones, the munching on popcorn and candy, the kids, the parents who bring their babies (babies should be full-price), the people saving seats, the arguments, etc. To think that we pay $9 for that privilege. Better to just watch it at home on a TV with people I actually want to be around.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Box Burner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:HFR and 3D is not enough - I want a theatre I can go to barefoot.

just take your shoes off when you get there. You can take a baggie with a some dirt, twigs and rocks with you. then buy an unflavored snow cone and mix it all together at your seat. Dump it on the floor at your feet and you are all set. :D
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:HFR and 3D is not enough - I want a theatre I can go to barefoot.

So do I.

And $9 movies are from another age indeed...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:21 am

BBadger wrote:I hate watching movies at movie theaters, mostly because of the presence of the audience. The cell phones, the munching on popcorn and candy, the kids, the parents who bring their babies (babies should be full-price), the people saving seats, the arguments, etc. To think that we pay $9 for that privilege. Better to just watch it at home on a TV with people I actually want to be around.

I agree 101%
There are few movies I will go to theaters to see, and of those movies I like to wait a few weeks and go at really odd times, 10:30 on a week night is normally a winner. At that time theres few kids and most people choose to be there for the same reasons. The 5-6 shows can be hit or miss- few high school kids talking the whole time, but you run the risk of a baby.

A lot of movies are better at home, but I don't have a giant digital projection 3D TV with great surround sound so loud it shakes your seat. Well, I do have amazing surround sound, but any time I turn it up that high after 8pm the neighbors wine and complain.
Some movies, demand to be watched in theaters.
illy dilly

Postby wh..sh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:30 am

BBadger wrote:I hate watching movies at movie theaters, mostly because of the presence of the audience. The cell phones, the munching on popcorn and candy, the kids, the parents who bring their babies (babies should be full-price), the people saving seats, the arguments, etc.

:lol:
Audience is a huge part of movie-watching experience in India. People clap and whistle when their favorites come on screen. Some will choose to dance for a catchy song. Sometimes comments from audience is much more hilarious than the movie. Then again, we don't take most of our movies too seriously. It's entertainment and for that duration, it's amazing to watch every tom, dick and harry forget their worries and just have a good time.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am

I like seeing films in theaters. Especially on opening weekend, when the movie works and the audience is behind it the crowd energy is amazing. The lines annoy me to no end, but it's worth the hassle (and with today's electronic gadgets the time flies). Plus when the theater's busy the popcorn's assured to be fresh :)

The girlie and I signed up weeks ago for an onslaught of shows for opening weekend. Since it's The Hobbit and PJ at the helm we know it's going to be a richly detailed world with ridiculous amounts of detail and amazing props/wardrobe, so we booked repeat viewings sight unseen. IMAX 3D tonight, then HFR 3D tomorrow, regular 2D Saturday, and then regular 3D Sunday.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am

wh..sh wrote:
BBadger wrote:I hate watching movies at movie theaters, mostly because of the presence of the audience. The cell phones, the munching on popcorn and candy, the kids, the parents who bring their babies (babies should be full-price), the people saving seats, the arguments, etc.

:lol:
Audience is a huge part of movie-watching experience in India. People clap and whistle when their favorites come on screen. Some will choose to dance for a catchy song. Sometimes comments from audience is much more hilarious than the movie. Then again, we don't take most of our movies too seriously. It's entertainment and for that duration, it's amazing to watch every tom, dick and harry forget their worries and just have a good time.

There are a couple small independent theaters here in Denver, most of them used to be for stage performances before 'motion pictures'. They're all very small, 1 or 2 screens, between 15 and 30 seats per theater.
They play a lot of very serious independent films, but they also play silly movies and cult classics- typically after 10pm. Its expected at that point that everyone in the audience has been drinking, and open commentary, critic, and joking about the movie is encouraged.
One of the theaters, I think the Esquire, even sells canned beer that you can bring into the theater. Its a ton of fun!
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 am

trilobyte wrote:The girlie and I signed up weeks ago for an onslaught of shows for opening weekend. Since it's The Hobbit and PJ at the helm we know it's going to be a richly detailed world with ridiculous amounts of detail and amazing props/wardrobe, so we booked repeat viewings sight unseen. IMAX 3D tonight, then HFR 3D tomorrow, regular 2D Saturday, and then regular 3D Sunday.

O SHIT! :shock: Thats awesome!

Since you'll be seeing the same movie so close together on each type of viewing, you'll be able to give a great critic of each different type. If possible you should give us an update on Monday of your experience and pros and cons of each.
I'd think that the IMAX 3D would be best, but you never know. I've watched some movies in 3D then later in 2D and felt that the 2D version was easier on the eyes.
illy dilly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 am

Meh, I enjoy sharing the movie with a crowd of strangers, the smell of the popcorn, even if I don't eat any. What's the circus without peanuts???
Ugly Dougly

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

I love that, wh..sh. There are a couple theatres around here that do 21+ screenings and have bar/drinks service at the concession. And of course we're no strangers to pre-gaming it by enjoying several drinks before the show or even bringing a flask in with us.

illy - that was our thinking too, masking our dorkiness as being something to do "in the name of science" and all that. I'll report back in the thread.

When 3D's done well, I like it and totally don't mind putting up with the glasses (thought hate it when the movie's been out a few weeks and they're re-using the glasses). And when IMAX is done well (ie massive resolution and shots composed for the screen) I like that a lot too, otherwise I like the normal cinema screen aspect ratio (16:9 or a little tighter).

I've heard a lot of internet complaints about the HFR (mostly from people who haven't experienced it, or spent very little time watching it), but I think that with the LOTR trilogy Jackson proved that he truly loves the material and really wants to see it done as beautifully as possible. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, the science makes some sense. 24fps is the standard movie frame rate and considered the minimum for the illusion of lifelike motion. 24fps 3D is only 12fps per eye. While 12fps worked for the old classic Disney and Warner Bros animation because they were cartoons, it's not quite enough for live action feature film and results in eyestrain (some more than others).

My gf has never been a big fan of 3D. For years it was because she wore glasses with a pretty strong prescription, and the glasses were always a huge hassle. After she got lasik a few years back ("we will shoot you in the face with lasers!"), it was definitely less hassle (since she didn't have glasses on top of glasses) but half the time she'd still wind up getting annoyed by the eyestrain.

HFR 3D delivers 24fps per eye, which theoretically should greatly reduce eyestrain. On top of that, Peter Jackson and his crew custom-designed the cameras used to shoot the film, with the lenses beside each other in the same proximity that our eyes are to each other. I like that idea, the 3D I've liked the most isn't the gimmicky junk, it's the immersive stuff that makes you feel like you're in the environment. I'm curious to see the differences between the formats and how they affect the experience.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby wh..sh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 am

trilobyte wrote:I like seeing films in theaters. Especially on opening weekend, when the movie works and the audience is behind it the crowd energy is amazing.

Yes, I completely agree about the crowd energy. It's very contagious!!

trilobyte wrote:IMAX 3D tonight, then HFR 3D tomorrow, regular 2D Saturday, and then regular 3D Sunday.
trilobyte wrote:
trilobyte wrote:illy - that was our thinking too, masking our dorkiness as being something to do "in the name of science" and all that. I'll report back in the thread.

Holy!!! You are going all out! You have no idea how much I appreciate that kind of dorkiness 8)
Usually the Thursday midnight shows are packed with dedicated fans. I will wait for your reviews.

Ooo.. not to forget Howard Shore!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

trilobyte wrote:illy - that was our thinking too, masking our dorkiness as being something to do "in the name of science" and all that. I'll report back in the thread.

Why does this sound familiar, Illy?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted:

Quit laughing, Savannah.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:50 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

Why does this sound familiar, Illy?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted:

Quit laughing, Savannah.

I CAN'T quit laughing.

I thought I was the one to bring up bras-on-heads in the first place. Easy playa costume. Long, rich history.

"Why are we wearing bras on our heads?"
"Ceremonial."
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion