OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

In a way, the population of America through "Occupy Wall Street" is like a massive organism trying to "wake up" but hasn't had it's morning coffee yet. There is little point in the protest in itself during the short term, but I suspect this is just the beginning. We are entering an era similar to the 60's mood wise and almost everybody I know is fed up and some people I know have already taken drastic action. Many like myself have so radically changed our lifestyles since 2007-2008 that we don't fit into paper regulation easily anymore and fall through the legal cracks because there isn't a category to address the way we live (homeless, yet with our own transportation and business owner at the same time for example, with evap pond and a RoundUp weed sprayer for showers - or the local gym). Hey the carpetbaggers at the IRS (and the American public) can at least thank me that I'm not drawing unemployment or using food stamps! (which would be a much easier path for me, but I refuse to take it). My own experience with becoming a homeless software engineer is that it has freed me from the chains of economic bondage and made my situation salvageable and created economic stability and greater security. But most people will not even consider it because it carries a stigma. This stigma has been put to great use to place the rest of you who pay rent/mortgage into greater economic peril, so I suggest you get over it and see it for what it is: a trap set for you to your financial disadvantage. What you own really owns you because it is used by authorities to get you to jump through their hoops. I have 2 hoops to jump through; the DMV and the IRS. The first is because of my truck and the 2nd is because of my business.

The whole point of a protest is to make something happen, so it is not in the interest of protesters to obey the rules. The rules of assembly are set up to make any protest ineffective and "manageable" by elites. If the power brokers were willing to listen in the first place, there would never have been a need for protest, so I suspect that this phase is about getting people aware and migrating them gradually until many are on the same page which means that there will be lots of disturbances over the next couple of years.

No one is in complete control. There are many agendas. To expect a protest to "make sense" is not rational because it is a symptom of all the national "karma" (for lack of a better word) that has built up. Also, if I was the leader of one of these protests, I'd be smart enough not to telegraph what the purpose/agenda is right off the bat because "the enemy" is playing dirty.
1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

tsunami.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm

the United Steel Workers are now officially and publicly behind us.


we will prevail.
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Let's hope that is a good thing Simon. It's not working so well for the Tea Party.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13038
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:03 pm

I agree with you in part.
Sola Gangsta wrote:In a way, the population of America through "Occupy Wall Street" is like a massive organism trying to "wake up" but hasn't had it's morning coffee yet. There is little point in the protest in itself during the short term, but I suspect this is just the beginning. We are entering an era similar to the 60's mood wise and almost everybody I know is fed up and some people I know have already taken drastic action. Many like myself have so radically changed our lifestyles since 2007-2008 that we don't fit into paper regulation easily anymore and fall through the legal cracks because there isn't a category to address the way we live (homeless, yet with our own transportation and business owner at the same time for example, with evap pond and a RoundUp weed sprayer for showers - or the local gym). Hey the carpetbaggers at the IRS (and the American public) can at least thank me that I'm not drawing unemployment or using food stamps! (which would be a much easier path for me, but I refuse to take it). My own experience with becoming a homeless software engineer is that it has freed me from the chains of economic bondage and made my situation salvageable and created economic stability and greater security. But most people will not even consider it because it carries a stigma. This stigma has been put to great use to place the rest of you who pay rent/mortgage into greater economic peril, so I suggest you get over it and see it for what it is: a trap set for you to your financial disadvantage. What you own really owns you because it is used by authorities to get you to jump through their hoops. I have 2 hoops to jump through; the DMV and the IRS. The first is because of my truck and the 2nd is because of my business.

The whole point of a protest is to make something happen, so it is not in the interest of protesters to obey the rules. The rules of assembly are set up to make any protest ineffective and "manageable" by elites. If the power brokers were willing to listen in the first place, there would never have been a need for protest, so I suspect that this phase is about getting people aware and migrating them gradually until many are on the same page which means that there will be lots of disturbances over the next couple of years.

No one is in complete control. There are many agendas. To expect a protest to "make sense" is not rational because it is a symptom of all the national "karma" (for lack of a better word) that has built up. Also, if I was the leader of one of these protests, I'd be smart enough not to telegraph what the purpose/agenda is right off the bat because "the enemy" is playing dirty.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13038
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

BACK ON TOPIC.

Postby H.G.Crosby » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:GOT FIRE?


Simon of the Playa wrote:DUH.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
User avatar
H.G.Crosby
 
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, New York, Paris, Tangiers

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Radical Self » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Cowboy Angel - thanks to your response to my post. I came across a fitting OWS sign:

The corrupt fear us
The honest support us
The heroic join us

That's awesome! I also just found out that there is going to be an Occupy Las Vegas. So maybe I'll get to make that bacon after all!

I love what people are saying about this. There really are no clear demands, and while this seems contrary to a protest, this is more of an awakening of consciousness, much like Burning Man. And it's taken BM 25 years to get to where it is now, so... Maybe OWS could adopt some of BM's 10 principles. I love their gifting library.

Side question: Veteran Burners - has a library been done at BM yet? I saw a few "cafe copy" books in center camp but not much more. And what about a book burning? Maybe one could support the other...

I digress. Here's a great article about the public's "demand for demands" concerning OWS:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163762/oc ... ds-demands

To put a twist on Sola Gangsta's analogy, OWS is like having coffee at BM center camp at 7 a.m. Everyone is just waking up, but the potential in the air is electric! OWS could really use some burning art, though. A burning bull, maybe? :twisted:

I'm going to work on some signs for Occupy Las Vegas over the next few days. Any ideas for good signs? And no, Simon, I don't have a YouTube-enabled picket sign! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Radical Self
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:00 am

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Radical Self wrote:Side question: Veteran Burners - has a library been done at BM yet? I saw a few "cafe copy" books in center camp but not much more. And what about a book burning?


Burn the IRS tax code.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/rGaRtqrlGy8[/youtube]
1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:19 am

Black Rock City Public Library has been there in at least 2007 and 2009; may have been there other years (maybe even this one).

http://earth.burningman.com/brc/2009/themecamp/1733/

Sola Gangsta, you can get your youtube to show up via: User Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Posting Defaults, Enable BBCode, Submit.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:23 am

Savannah wrote:Sola Gangsta, you can get your youtube to show up via: User Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Posting Defaults, Enable BBCode, Submit.


You also need to use the URL from your browser window, not the "youtu.be" shortcut one. Cut from your browser, paste between the [youtube] tags, and remove the ampersand ("&") and everything after it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8510
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:24 am

Savannah wrote:Black Rock City Public Library has been there in at least 2007 and 2009; may have been there other years (maybe even this one).

http://earth.burningman.com/brc/2009/themecamp/1733/

Sola Gangsta, you can get your youtube to show up via: User Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Posting Defaults, Enable BBCode, Submit.


I was checking that in the preview but it wasn't showing up anyway. Do you need to log out and log in for it to take effect?
1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 am

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8[/youtube]

BBCode is enabled, still not working... It worked on my I11I1II1 account (which I lost because I no longer remember the password and screwed up the email associated with it)
1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:35 am

Try the full http:// at the start, between the tags, like this without the period in front.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8

. . . between tags, gets me:
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 am

1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Sola Gangsta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 am

Ok. Got it thanks. Any way to get my sock back?
1II1I11I
User avatar
Sola Gangsta
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: the desert, Nevada

Re: count me in...

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:25 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:10,000 strong and growing.


Hmm.

http://blog.timparkinson.net/2011/09/30/lies-damn-lies-and-photoshop/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: count me in...

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 am

Bob wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:10,000 strong and growing.


Hmm.

http://blog.timparkinson.net/2011/09/30/lies-damn-lies-and-photoshop/


OWNED!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 4432
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby moonrise » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:12 am

OWS is growing. :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:09 am

BBadger wrote:
Bob wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:10,000 strong and growing.


Hmm.

http://blog.timparkinson.net/2011/09/30/lies-damn-lies-and-photoshop/


OWNED!



STOP FUCKING WITH MY SPIN.



im a doctor.
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

BACK ON MESSAGE!

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:14 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:GOT FIRE?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

todays events.

Postby H.G.Crosby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:16 am

what are we doing today Simon?
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
User avatar
H.G.Crosby
 
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, New York, Paris, Tangiers

the same thing we do every day.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:18 am

"OCCUPY THE WORLD"



we do not forgive. we do not forget.

expect us.
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

ehh, on second thought...how about mars.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 am

maybe we should think this through first...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

dropping names.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 am

from Tom Price.

"If Wall Street is working, but Main Street isn't, then Wall Street isn't working."
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

burn australia.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 am

fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

RESPECT.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:54 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 am

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 am

Thank you Hillary Clinton!! for forcing the United States to make it possible for people with minimal to zero income and no downpayment to be able to walk into a bank and get a home loan. Guess what. No money to pay the loan = fuck the bank. The bank is in financial trouble because they have a shit pot of these loans to eat. Over speculative home builders build too many houses they can't sell. Banks with no money = no money to support businesses. Businesses stop buying capital equipment. Manufacturers with no sales lay off employees. Unemployment skyrockets. No jobs = no money to put into banks means no investor confidence and the economy goes down the toilet.

Don't bitch about Wall Street. Thank your Government.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
User avatar
EspressoDude
 
Posts: 4841
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: the first Vancouver

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Elderberry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 am

Exactly what did Hillary Clinton have to do with this?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13038
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 am

RED HERRING EXPRESSODUDE!

here are your criminals....

FIRST, WE KILL ALL THE BANKERS!**

we'll talk about the lawyers later.




** i am of course, speaking metaphorically... :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15801
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: OCCUPYWALLSTREET REINFORCEMENTS!

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 am

Maybe they're all just waiting in line for the new iPhone.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lucky420 and 3 guests