Time for a Happy Thread

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby DanusLight » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

maryanimal wrote:YAAAAAAY!! delle, Fishy, Foxfur, illy dilly, jkisha, Dr Helix, Bin Noddin, jella, Minxy, UglyDoulgy (btw, how did your date with the wonderful woman go the other night?), DanusLight, Simon of the Playa, lucky.bastard, Trishntek, Bounce530, graidawg, Savannah, Yggy, TinkerMom, FIGJAM, Isotopia, knowmad, Packaderm...did I for get anyone?

I like YAAAAAAY's! That one was for you!

Things are getting closer to good?
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Elliot wrote:The most difficult part, seems to me, is obtaining or building suitable wheels. Many homemade solutions tend to fall off the track. So I have been keeping an eye out for rear rail wheels, at an affordable price.

Well, last Saturday I found a set (four) for $150,-. A new set costs $1200...
That sounds fun! It also reminded me of rail biking.
I was hiking the Salmonberry river gorgefrom the Salmonberry townsite to the abandoned Enright logging camp. I was a little overambitious as it was an 11 mile round trip. My right leg is longer than the left so I'm not always able to walk really far without pain. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, no way of telling. As I was limping back I heard an odd sound. Clack, clack. I hike there on an abandoned stretch of railroad wrecked in 2008 by a storm. I knew it couldnt be a train...
Then three bicycles came into view! They were riding the rails! They stopped and let me check out their rides. They asked if I was ok and I said yes (I was in agony) and said I thought I could make it out of the canyon by dark. They dumped their cooler, loaded all their drinks into their backpacks and offered me a ride sitting on a cargo platform on the support wheel brace! The ride was so appreciated! I carried the cooler in my lap with a great big smil :)
I love the canyon and have been considering building a rail bike so I can get out again. Now that I seem to back in building mode I'm going to have to look into this again.

Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 pm

You would need a Mountain-rail-bike for that stretch of track! :lol:

There are so many fun things to do in this world. All we have to do is get out of the TV chair and do it. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Foxfur wrote:Image

That is an awesome picture!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 pm

As well as a great story, Foxfur.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Yay!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3rP-8mWWeY[/youtube]

in light if current projects, it seems these two go together:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Painfully cool

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 pm

:D That's the sort of thing, yes. And I propose to put the rail wheels on this -- which is currently parked in my barn:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Hydrogen or Helium?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Elliot wrote::D That's the sort of thing, yes. And I propose to put the rail wheels on this -- which is currently parked in my barn:

Love it! I want the story about the UPS logo...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Flubber fool!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm

look! up on the trailer! it's a boat! It's a Plane! IT'S THE BROWN SANTA!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

What a day...
I found a pair of 70 year old korean ladies wandering in the forest. We had about 10 words between us but I got that her husband was missing, that he'd been missing for four hours, and that he had the car keys :shock: ! I CSI'd their asses with some hand-fu and figured out that he did have a jacket, that he didn't have a heart or health condition, that he had hiking boots and that he was 68 years old.
I piled em into the truck, gave em each a diet pepsi, and drove em back to their car about 2 miles away. Using boy scout tradecraft I set to looking for sign. The area is just shitty with thick undergrowth, visibility 10ft max. Why would someone go through any more of this than absolutely necessary??? Picked up a messy trail, circling and doubling but then straightened out. Then I totally lost it at a clearing! :evil: :(
I start working around the edge and am finding nothing. I'm getting scared this isn't going to end well. I'm ready to head back to the foxmobile to call in someone competent when I hear a loud whistle chirping. What? Is there another scout about? I beat it back to the road / towards the sound. Got to the road and had mama san (the name she gave me when I asked...) blast the horn. We heard the whistle again. I was winding up to dash down the road when mama san's sidekick stops me and indicates it's HER husband! I then figured out that BOTH of their husbands were missing! :shock: :shock: :shock:
It turned out that mama san's hubby had wandered off after lunch to use a tree. Sidekick's hubby had set out 30 minutes later.
I book on down the road and into the bush shouting Kang! Kang! Kang!
Tweet tweet.
Kang!
Tweet.
Then I see him! I run to him and throw a big ol hug on him. He looked so confused :) We miscommunicate for a few seconds until our speech systems sync up and he tells me that he's not Kang. Oh hell no! I need both pieces to win this thing. I'm trying to figure this out when he points to the wall of green behind us. He's holding my arm really tight and saying something and pointing at the forest. I motion him to come with me, to go look but he won't let me go and won't move. This guy is in his early 70's if he's a day (so I know I can take him easy :)) but isn't hostile. I can't read a thing from him. He's really calm and just looking right at the forest. Ten seconds later, KANG!
There's Kang looking worn to nubs. Sidekick's joe had found him and then got lost again. I had Kang rest for a bit then walked em back to their wives. Both had burst into tears and I can't say my eyes were so dry either. It was really charged there, in that moment. After many hugs and handshakes I reluctantly mounted up and drove off into the sunset...

I wasn't even going to go off roading today. It was a spur of the moment decision that could easily have gone the other way.
Weird, eh :?
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby ygmir » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 pm

good on ya, Ff!!!!

a round of applause, and a tip of the hat.

Helpin' folks, is where it's at........

hey, I'm a poet.........hahhaa
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jella » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 pm

ygmir wrote:good on ya, Ff!!!!

+10 Good Job FoxFur :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 pm

YAY!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby maryanimal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Elliot wrote::D
For a couple of years I have been wanting to participate in the Handcar Regatta in Santa Rosa, CA. This is sort'a like a Mutant Vehicle parade, but on a railroad track, and with only human muscle power allowed.

The most difficult part, seems to me, is obtaining or building suitable wheels. Many homemade solutions tend to fall off the track. So I have been keeping an eye out for rear rail wheels, at an affordable price.

Well, last Saturday I found a set (four) for $150,-. A new set costs $1200,-, and these are still in good condition. So I got a bargain. I have the vehicle to put them on, so now I can begin modifying it for track use.

And this weekend I'm going to the Kinetic Sculpture Race in Klamath Falls, OR. For once I'm not racing, but I'm looking forward to being a spectator this time. And of course, I'm transporting two teams to the event with my bus.

So things are looking up!
:D

Klamath Falls? You should stop by to the Eagles Nest and say Hi to wedeliver (Craig) and TomServo (jeff) It wouldn't even be out of your way! Talk to Craig about it! It's next to a small town called Tulelake!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 pm

DanusLight wrote:
maryanimal wrote:YAAAAAAY!! delle, Fishy, Foxfur, illy dilly, jkisha, Dr Helix, Bin Noddin, jella, Minxy, UglyDoulgy (btw, how did your date with the wonderful woman go the other night?), DanusLight, Simon of the Playa, lucky.bastard, Trishntek, Bounce530, graidawg, Savannah, Yggy, TinkerMom, FIGJAM, Isotopia, knowmad, Packaderm...did I for get anyone?

I like YAAAAAAY's! That one was for you!

Things are getting closer to good?

Yes they are! I'm getting really excited about going. I've been selling my possessions and saving money for the move. I'm going to have a whopper of a garage sale in two weeks! It's still hard to sell my belonings, but it's just stuff. I'll be able to get it again! Heck, if I died tomorrow, my family would keep it all and sell in craigslist anyway! *LOL*
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Tulelake is one of my favorite parts of CA. The lava tubes are a great place to escape the heat of the summer days.

I've always wanted to build a rail bike! looks like fun and there are quite a few abandoned railways I know of.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby maryanimal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Snow wrote:Tulelake is one of my favorite parts of CA. The lava tubes are a great place to escape the heat of the summer days.

I've always wanted to build a rail bike! looks like fun and there are quite a few abandoned railways I know of.

I've never been there! I hear it's a quaint little town!.
maryanimal

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 pm

yes VERY quaint! I was speaking more of the general area than the town itself.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:45 am

foxfur=amazing
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jkisha » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 am

Foxfur wrote:What a day...
I found a pair of 70 year old korean ladies wandering in the forest. We had about 10 words between us but I got that her husband was missing, that he'd been missing for four hours, and that he had the car keys :shock: ! I CSI'd their asses with some hand-fu and figured out that he did have a jacket, that he didn't have a heart or health condition, that he had hiking boots and that he was 68 years old.
I piled em into the truck, gave em each a diet pepsi, and drove em back to their car about 2 miles away. Using boy scout tradecraft I set to looking for sign. The area is just shitty with thick undergrowth, visibility 10ft max. Why would someone go through any more of this than absolutely necessary??? Picked up a messy trail, circling and doubling but then straightened out. Then I totally lost it at a clearing! :evil: :(
I start working around the edge and am finding nothing. I'm getting scared this isn't going to end well. I'm ready to head back to the foxmobile to call in someone competent when I hear a loud whistle chirping. What? Is there another scout about? I beat it back to the road / towards the sound. Got to the road and had mama san (the name she gave me when I asked...) blast the horn. We heard the whistle again. I was winding up to dash down the road when mama san's sidekick stops me and indicates it's HER husband! I then figured out that BOTH of their husbands were missing! :shock: :shock: :shock:
It turned out that mama san's hubby had wandered off after lunch to use a tree. Sidekick's hubby had set out 30 minutes later.
Tweet tweet.
Kang!
Tweet.
Then I see him! I run to him and throw a big ol hug on him. He looked so confused :) We miscommunicate for a few seconds until our speech systems sync up and he tells me that he's not Kang. Oh hell no! I need both pieces to win this thing. I'm trying to figure this out when he points to the wall of green behind us. He's holding my arm really tight and saying something and pointing at the forest. I motion him to come with me, to go look but he won't let me go and won't move. This guy is in his early 70's if he's a day (so I know I can take him easy :)) but isn't hostile. I can't read a thing from him. He's really calm and just looking right at the forest. Ten seconds later, KANG!
There's Kang looking worn to nubs. Sidekick's joe had found him and then got lost again. I had Kang rest for a bit then walked em back to their wives. Both had burst into tears and I can't say my eyes were so dry either. It was really charged there, in that moment. After many hugs and handshakes I reluctantly mounted up and drove off into the sunset...

I wasn't even going to go off roading today. It was a spur of the moment decision that could easily have gone the other way.

Now that's a story that really should have been on news at eleven.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

ITS FRIDAY AND I'M IN LOVE.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2nLEhUcZ0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

Foxfur wrote:What a day...
Tweet tweet.
Kang!
Tweet.

Good lord Forfur!
You're the MAN!
Well done! They will forever be grateful!!!!
Amazing story!
illy dilly

Postby wedeliver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 am

Elliot wrote::D
For a couple of years I have been wanting to participate in the Handcar Regatta in Santa Rosa, CA. This is sort'a like a Mutant Vehicle parade, but on a railroad track, and with only human muscle power allowed.

The most difficult part, seems to me, is obtaining or building suitable wheels. Many homemade solutions tend to fall off the track. So I have been keeping an eye out for rear rail wheels, at an affordable price.

Well, last Saturday I found a set (four) for $150,-. A new set costs $1200,-, and these are still in good condition. So I got a bargain. I have the vehicle to put them on, so now I can begin modifying it for track use.

And this weekend I'm going to the Kinetic Sculpture Race in Klamath Falls, OR. For once I'm not racing, but I'm looking forward to being a spectator this time. And of course, I'm transporting two teams to the event with my bus.

So things are looking up!
:D

Hi Elliot, Did you know that WE are located just 57 miles south of Klamath Falls? Does that give you any ideas?
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:06 am

Good news today! My nephew's wife just had her first child. Mother and daughter doing well. They named her Toren. Have to look that one up.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

Oh and I just hit 200 posts. Small potatoes but moving up!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby wedeliver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

ygmir wrote:good on ya, Ff!!!!

are your feet "longfellows"?
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion