NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:43 am

My first BBS experience was on an Atari.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17786
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 am

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.




i just had a flashback...
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 am

Ah...a Packard Bell Legend 386x, a 12 line BBS hosting flight sim files and Trade Wars...those were the days. I think there's even a 286 in the barn in Nebraska if I decided to dig it out. I think it even had the optional math co-processor on it too! Feel the power! The speed was awesome! (Cough!)

Then I look at the iPad2 and quickly regain perspective. (Just got the iPad last night...after saying I would never buy an Apple product...)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:58 am

Kinetic V wrote:Ah...a Packard Bell Legend 386x, a 12 line BBS hosting flight sim files and Trade Wars...those were the days. I think there's even a 286 in the barn in Nebraska if I decided to dig it out. I think it even had the optional math co-processor on it too! Feel the power! The speed was awesome! (Cough!)

Then I look at the iPad2 and quickly regain perspective. (Just got the iPad last night...after saying I would never buy an Apple product...)

I said the same thing, until i got mine. Don't you just love the iPad now? I'm thinking my next phone upgrade just might be from an Android to the iPhone too.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13025
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 am

I remember punchcards and computers without mice.

I recall a friend trying to explain the relevance of a network only two friends could access.


Has any dj used sampled modem sounds on the playa?
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am

jkisha wrote:I said the same thing, until i got mine. Don't you just love the iPad now? I'm thinking my next phone upgrade just might be from an Android to the iPhone too.


I just got mine yesterday around 4 and have been busy and not had too much time to dive into it yet. Right now on my desk I've got the iPad2, a Blackberry Playbook, and a Sprint Samsung Epic (that used to be one of their flagship Android phones). I'm building corporate support procedures, protocols, and documentation for 25 of each for people going to Macau and Singapore so I've got my work cut out for me. Once that's all done the iPad is mine.

I've never owned ANY Apple product before...not even an iPod as I went with other MP3 players...so yeah, this is truly a whole new world for me.

And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am

The new tech?


I think I still have one.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Foxfur » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

Kinetic V wrote:And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?

Too many witty rejoinders to choose from...
User avatar
Foxfur
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Location: Banks, Oregon
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Foxfur wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:And Gyre, have you ever seen an 8 inch single side floppy?

Too many witty rejoinders to choose from...


I knew when I posted that I was leaving myself w i d e - o p e n for some interesting comments....
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

I think I was thinking about the 5"'. but i was at ibm when they had the 8".

Should have stayed there if I could.
I would actually know something about computers by now.

They had an apple like software system, that was so easy to use.
I can't help wondering what the world would be like, if they had offered it.

I wonder if that program was straight out of xerox?

It was far better than apple at the time.

Of course, it was running on a mainframe.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

BTW, will we still be able to telnet into this bbs?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby marck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 pm

I remember joining a dialup BBS because they had internet access.

I also remember surfing using a text only browser on a Data General.

I remember "upgrading" my single-sided floppies to double sided.

I have a few punchcards somewhere, but not a whole deck anymore.




(edited for gross misspelling errors)
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

    Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets
User avatar
marck
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 am
Location: The Black Rock Army
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I remember using punch cards when registering for college.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17786
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 pm

/

I worked uni vac blue prints.

dim was punch cards
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10011
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby knowmad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm

One has not lived until they have had the joy of Working a DOD's, PDP-11! I still think in 3place Hexadecimal Machine Code.

0 000 000 010 1s1 111
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm

basic on a wang, (go ahead have fun with that) fortran and cobol with the goddamn editor compilers....arrrggghhhh.



bad flashback...BAD FLASHBACK
fuck you, it's magic



Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm

User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Sham » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Shambala wrote:I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.

I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13025
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby tamarakay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:37 pm

jkisha wrote:
Shambala wrote:I have been beta poking around on the new eplaya, and I am happy to say that it has a very comfortable and familiar feel to the old eplaya. There is still some tweaking going on, but it's well on it's way to becoming our eHome!

It turns out that there are many people working on this project who are much more computer savvy than I am, but I will do what I can to help with the fine tuning.

I really think that everyone will be happy with the new site and the new features that it offers.

I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.


I'm with you JK, i've changed too many diapers to be happy with this brown background.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 pm

marck wrote:Stop by the TC board sometime.


wanted to do it in person, but already committed to family things this year.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 pm

tamarakay wrote:
I'm with you JK, i've changed too many diapers to be happy with this brown background.

I think it's supposed to be reminiscent of the playa.

Sometimes I find the contrast between the posts to be too strong.

Some forums are completely unreadable.
Try red on black fonts!
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 am

gyre wrote:Some forums are completely unreadable.


Is that one of the new "features"?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 am

I haven't seen the new one yet.

Some forums do have multiple color options.

One I spend time on changed to a horrible scheme and they finally offered an option to reset to the original format.

Adblock is your friend too.

It can be tailored to block certain features.
I blocked the live chat box on one, and couldn't force it back until I altered my adblock settings.

It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 pm

gyre wrote:It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.


There's an expression for blocking youtube embeds here?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't know if it will block all youtube in general, but it sure will block anything specific that is addressable.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:47 pm

It looks like it will block avatars too, on a specific basis.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby C187 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Bob wrote:
gyre wrote:It can be used to block specific photos, flash, etc too, as used in siglines.


There's an expression for blocking youtube embeds here?


You could just block the IPs/ports that youtube uses with a blocking program and list if you wanted to.

jkisha wrote:I haven't commented on this in the beta forums, but I'm wondering why they decided to spend so much time trying to match the colors of this site? I liked the blue, or almost any other color, compared to this drab site we have now. Plus the time could be spent on functionality issues rather than tweaking the skin to be as ugly as this site.

Since we're testers, I'm assuming the powers that be have already decided to keep the colors the same and it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up policy issues there.

But I'm just wondering.


Remember what I said on page 2?

I haven't seen the beta, but my guess is they are just using the current theme. Then for any new UI that came with the system update, they are modifying (or adding) the style sheet to make it match.
User avatar
C187
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Location: North Bay, CA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby knowmad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm

post a screen shot!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Was asking if there's an expression for blocking youtubes embedded on an eplaya page, not youtubes in general.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests