NEW EPLAYA AND UPGRADES COMING

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm

/

I toed jew and toed jew.. Do not buy a ticket this year..

The end is coming soon.. The up grade is slow cuming. Harold Camping had a stroke.. That has slowed the cuming.

Or they are all sitting around laughing thair asses off at Eplayans
unjonharley

Postby actiongrl » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi gang. I have been out of the office for about a week - we were just informed yesterday that the pre-work to do the upgrade was not completed and we would need to push back a week. That said, I am happy to say that once this upgrade is done, the very purpose of it is in part to un-fuxxor the underlying technology so it isn't such a bitch to maintain in the first place.

I'll post more as I hear it.
actiongrl

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:28 pm

So, are we going to notice a difference?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:37 pm

More importantly, will the celebratory designer cupcakes last another week?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby spectabillis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:37 pm

There is a strange, inherant cockiness from nearly every IT guy that I've done business with...
I have mastered the art of stroking the egos of these trekkie/geek/nerds, and just love to watch them puff up with pride when they hit the right buttons. I'm sure that's not the case here, but I am just saying that's what I've seen other places.

or you can stand up to them and call them on it, be surprised at how few people bother to do that.

but its burningman, highly discouraged within a touchy-feely atmosphere dependant on volunteers who dont really care that much. i only did it when i got finally got fed up with it all and burned my bridges... i dont want those bridges, they become like a bridge into hell feeding peoples egos and attitudes.

burningman has serious egos to contend with, and they love their social positions.
spectabillis

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Hmmmm..every member of the Senior or HQ staff I've met has not had an ego nor an attitude. I have encountered some communications issues like with this upgrade or with some regionals issues but that's really the extent of it. I'm also not an ass when I meet these people and I thank them for their role in the event I love so much. I guess YMMV applies....

And thank you ActionGrl for once again keeping us informed.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm

At least now they are making announcements on what's happening. That's appreciated.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

It is!

A certain NY news/pop culture site changed their whole look recently without beta testing it, and released it w/ little warning, heavy with bugs. The re-design was meant to boost page views and ad revenue, and trashed usability for the dedicated commenters, who'd been there for years and took their roles on the site seriously. The readership promptly lost their @#$%, and to all appearances about three-quarters of their long-time readers left for other websites. Months have passed, and the personality of the site has changed considerably.

While no one likes to be kept in suspense, I respect the delay in the interest of making sure the site works. Or has a better chance of working, anyway. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sham » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Greetings:

Hi there! You may or may not have heard that we're working hard to get the ePlaya moved off of its old ailing server, onto some new hardware, as well as upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. Our goal is to twofold:

- stabilize and secure the eplaya software & hardware
- preserve (and improve!) your experience as much as possible

We were supposed to complete this work yesterday (Monday) but it just didn't come together. We're cranking it out this week and hope to do this work this coming Monday, June 27th. There will be some downtime, in order to stop everyone from making changes to the database while we migrate it over.

I will be posting out more details about the migration in the next day or so, so you have an idea of what to expect and when.
Stay tuned, and I'll be back with more.

~Spanky

Spanky, thank you for the update. I hope you can appreciate the frustration of this community being left in the dark. Imagine setting an appointment for a cable installation for 9:30 tomorrow morning, and the cable guy just doesn't show up! (enough analogy)
I am looking forward to all the new and exciting things these changes are going to bring.
Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this upgrade. It is really appreciated.
Sham

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Shambala wrote:
Greetings:

Hi there! You may or may not have heard that we're working hard to get the ePlaya moved off of its old ailing server, onto some new hardware, as well as upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. Our goal is to twofold:

We were supposed to complete this work yesterday (Monday) but it just didn't come together. We're cranking it out this week and hope to do this work this coming Monday, June 27th. There will be some downtime, in order to stop everyone from making changes to the database while we migrate it over.

I will be posting out more details about the migration in the next day or so, so you have an idea of what to expect and when.

~Spanky

Spanky, thank you for the update. I hope you can appreciate the frustration of this community being left in the dark. Imagine setting an appointment for a cable installation for 9:30 tomorrow morning, and the cable guy just doesn't show up! (enough analogy)
I am looking forward to all the new and exciting things these changes are going to bring.
Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this upgrade. It is really appreciated.

JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby spectabillis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Hmmmm..every member of the Senior or HQ staff I've met has not had an ego nor an attitude.

hmmm... the few i heard say that have quite big egos and attitudes themselves, including an ex-regional coord. must be mine then.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:44 pm

*pfft* its me, im just a happy little insect now.. looking foreward to the eplaya burnover :D

goodby dvd, but might see you sometime at the burn, and hope you are well.
spectabillis

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:51 pm

spectabillis wrote:
There is a strange, inherant cockiness from nearly every IT guy that I've done business with...
I have mastered the art of stroking the egos of these trekkie/geek/nerds, and just love to watch them puff up with pride when they hit the right buttons. I'm sure that's not the case here, but I am just saying that's what I've seen other places.

or you can stand up to them and call them on it, be surprised at how few people bother to do that.

but its burningman, highly discouraged within a touchy-feely atmosphere dependant on volunteers who dont really care that much. i only did it when i got finally got fed up with it all and burned my bridges... i dont want those bridges, they become like a bridge into hell feeding peoples egos and attitudes.

burningman has serious egos to contend with, and they love their social positions.

case in point.

cmon spec, this is providing you with more entertainment and satisfaction then Tosh.0

eplaya is running on playa time....no big whoop.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:52 pm

We're on page 6? I'm thought we were on two or three, tops.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 pm

this is the best of the end of the threads thread, ever.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Soon, Larry will descend to us in all his glory...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:07 pm

that just took the fun out of it for me, so i will try and end it on this.

antim is the most capable person to run this place, ever. all the mods deserve praise, but she's the one you can have confidence in any changes that happen, and for a long time.

thank you antim
you deserve the love
because you did it for me
spectabillis

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Soon, Larry will descend to us in all his glory...

Are you sure you didn't mean "condescend"?
JK
Elderberry

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Shambala wrote:
Greetings:

~Spanky

And he takes back everything he said about you, Spanky. Really.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby spectabillis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:45 pm

just what are you trying to imply, bob?

spectabillis

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Since the upgrade has been postponed for a week has anyone been over to the Syfy forums that are supposed to have the same look and feel of what they plan to roll out here? I like what I see but was curious what others thought of it.

Heck this whole thing has me thinking I may be overdue on upgrading my own boards. In any case here's the link to take a look:

http://forums.syfy.com/

Maybe the rest of us "non-beta testers" can help shape this thing yet with some well thought out suggestions.

Edit: By the way has the LLC got the infrastructure to go VM with their servers? I flat refuse to build another physical server unless I have to for compliance reasons. If they can go with a VM and this new software...talk about an easy to maintain setup.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby wedeliver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 am

Action Girl (hows the little baby??should be about 3 know as we had one (my daughters actually) at about the same time.

I wonder what the future of "forums" really are. I come from the ol' school BBS, ran a few systems the last being an Excalibur BBS in Layton, Utah. We were one of the first BBS that allowed updating between different systems. And this was all done on dialup. Most of the traffic was games and utilites. Phpbb has been around for a long time now and should be pretty bullet proof. Afove Kinetic mentions VM, Isn't that just how you connect for maintenance and really has nothing to do with the display and function of the forum??

I do wonder where are all the Burners today anyway. It seems like tribe has died and I can't find any single source where burners are posting other then here and tribe.

To all those who fear this change, don't worry, be happy!!

Although I question my own choices as I was heavly invested in Novell..CNE etc..
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 am

jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Soon, Larry will descend to us in all his glory...

Are you sure you didn't mean "condescend"?

Good one!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

edited because I decided I dont really give a shit or owe anyone an explination. If you are upset about the timing of a discussion board upgrade it really speaks for itself.
tiredofbeingnice

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 pm

tiredofbeingnice wrote:edited because I decided I dont really give a shit or owe anyone an explination. If you are upset about the timing of a discussion board upgrade it really speaks for itself.
You thinking that we were upset because of timing also speaks volumes. Probably editing you comment was a wise decision. Better to not stick you foot further in your mouth.
JK
Elderberry

Postby wedeliver » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

jkisha wrote:
tiredofbeingnice wrote:edited because I decided I dont really give a shit or owe anyone an explination. If you are upset about the timing of a discussion board upgrade it really speaks for itself.
You thinking that we were upset because of timing also speaks volumes. Probably editing you comment was a wise decision. Better to not stick you foot further in your mouth.

Although, if you think about the potental of someone who can get a foot all the way into their mouth, I might have to have respect for someone with the level of dedication.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby knowmad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:46 pm

wedeliver wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Although, if you think about the potental of someone who can get a foot all the way into their mouth, I might have to have respect for someone with the level of dedication.

Nope!
Jackasses!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:11 am

DONT GET ME ANGRY OR I'LL SEND YOU ALL BACK TO 1992 and you'll be forced to use AOL at 2400 baud.

i can do it too.

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:39 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:DONT GET ME ANGRY OR I'LL SEND YOU ALL BACK TO 1992 and you'll be forced to use AOL at 2400 baud.

i can do it too.

Well that does beat having to use Prodigy....or CompuServe.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion