Queer Burners

All things outside of Burning Man.

Queer Burners

Postby toaster » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Queer is very relative and if you noticed at Burning Man 2010 there were huge neighborhoods of gay burners. The Gay Ghetto of 3:00 and A, the Gayborhood of 7:00 and D ... well, I am networking the _____ on a couple resources.

I have representation from some of the gay camps on the board like Comfort and Joy, Down Low, and Moonbow to name a few.

Here are a couple resources for gay burners... not necessarily gay specifically - but it's been working out nicely.

On twitter.com/gayburners
On the web gayburners.com
On Tribe find the Gay Burners too. Oh, and Facebook.

Hugs and thanks...
Toaster
San Francisco, CA

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
User avatar
toaster
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Sun Guardians

Postby pizzamancer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 am

Queer camps are imaginary. Like unicorns or Eskimos.
Image
User avatar
pizzamancer
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:56 pm
Burning Since: 2008

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:39 am

I don't think the term, "queer' is politically correct any longer. These type of catch words have about a 4 year run, before someone complains and makes an issue out of it.
The new term is now "unigender compliant"!

Thank you for your attention.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7191
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Shambala wrote:The new term is now "unigender compliant"!


Too long. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby neon tetra » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:12 pm

heterophobes!
Image
User avatar
neon tetra
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm

I like "queer." It's pretty inclusive. On the other hand, it 's a nasty playground insult as well. Which is why the terms move every couple of decades. I remember when African Americans were "black."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 pm

You mean they aren't any longer?
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 4086
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Michael Jackson was the beginning of a huge wave...

I think I'm a contender for "Most Politically Incorrect Post of December."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Unosexual American. (country of origin can be interchanged as needed)
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7191
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I prefer
FREAK

in a good way of course...seems there are many many others... :shock:
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
User avatar
Tiahaar
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Mojave Desert, CA (also Forever via Pandora)
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby maryanimal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Back in my day the work "queer" meant strange, as in a non-sexually oriented comment. Queer is a good word...to each his own. If I were gay, I would say I was queer, lesbian, lady killer, Fem Fatale. Besides, it's not sexual orientation that is important here, it's who the person is on the inside...period! Content of character I think MLK once said. Oh and before some homophobe corrects me, it's MLK jr.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby maryanimal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Back in my days, back when dirt was young and fresh, the word "queer" meant strange, as in a non-sexually oriented comment. Queer is a good word...to each his own. If I were gay, I would say I was queer, lesbian, lady killer, Fem Fatale. Besides, it's not sexual orientation that is important here, it's who the person is on the inside...period! Content of character I think MLK once said. Oh and before some homophobe corrects me, it's MLK jr.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby knowmad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:10 pm

maryanimal wrote:Back in my days, back when dirt was young and fresh, the word "queer" meant strange, as in a non-sexually oriented comment. Queer is a good word...to each his own. If I were gay, I would say I was queer, lesbian, lady killer, Fem Fatale. Besides, it's not sexual orientation that is important here, it's who the person is on the inside...period! Content of character I think MLK once said. Oh and before some homophobe corrects me, it's MLK jr.


oh MA you make me laugh so much. love it!

but back to topic.

What would our reaction be if you heard that there is/was/were a neo-nazi faction that attended burn? being all PC and all inclusive burners that we are we would say "oh, what a bunch of jerks, but their very right to be here is the same reason I'm protected."

it's all in the label, Gay, Queer, Fag, Homo, Queen, or-what-the-fuck-have-you.
labels are for jars, people have names. Pilling and lumping people is a human obsession, and I think if we dive deep enough into it we'll see that there is a connection between the desire for self identity and the need for grouping Nouns. But that was soo nineties. kinda like determining who's king of poo mountain, or what level of hell is Dhalmer on? DRFM

The P-flag flies at my house, I'm the B in GBLT but I don't proselytize it, and I work hard at not building personal/sexual relationships with gays, not just because I'm an ass, but because I prefer Bisexuals and would break a gay man's heart. Just like I don't date straight women. As a bisexual man I have two types of heterosexual shunning to avoid, along with the religo/fasho/homophobes as well.

So back to my question and to elaborate on MaryAnimal's quote of a guinuine human soul. "Judge a person by their content of character". There is a wide riff in acceptance and inclusion when we adopt labels. Not because we've gotten over labeling people, but because we have stooped to the needing of a label. And I believe when one is in need, one is lacking in Character and subject to Judgment.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby Thecatman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:49 pm

maryanimal wrote:Back in my day the work "queer" meant strange, as in a non-sexually oriented comment.


Similar example, back in my day, the word "gay" meant happy:

"We'll all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home."
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman
 
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Location: Nevada desert 120miles S. of BRC
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby maryanimal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:44 am

knowmad wrote:
maryanimal wrote:Back in my days, back when dirt was young and fresh, the word "queer" meant strange, as in a non-sexually oriented comment. Queer is a good word...to each his own. If I were gay, I would say I was queer, lesbian, lady killer, Fem Fatale. Besides, it's not sexual orientation that is important here, it's who the person is on the inside...period! Content of character I think MLK once said. Oh and before some homophobe corrects me, it's MLK jr.


oh MA you make me laugh so much. love it!

but back to topic.

What would our reaction be if you heard that there is/was/were a neo-nazi faction that attended burn? being all PC and all inclusive burners that we are we would say "oh, what a bunch of jerks, but their very right to be here is the same reason I'm protected."

it's all in the label, Gay, Queer, Fag, Homo, Queen, or-what-the-fuck-have-you.
labels are for jars, people have names. Pilling and lumping people is a human obsession, and I think if we dive deep enough into it we'll see that there is a connection between the desire for self identity and the need for grouping Nouns. But that was soo nineties. kinda like determining who's king of poo mountain, or what level of hell is Dhalmer on? DRFM

The P-flag flies at my house, I'm the B in GBLT but I don't proselytize it, and I work hard at not building personal/sexual relationships with gays, not just because I'm an ass, but because I prefer Bisexuals and would break a gay man's heart. Just like I don't date straight women. As a bisexual man I have two types of heterosexual shunning to avoid, along with the religo/fasho/homophobes as well.

So back to my question and to elaborate on MaryAnimal's quote of a guinuine human soul. "Judge a person by their content of character". There is a wide riff in acceptance and inclusion when we adopt labels. Not because we've gotten over labeling people, but because we have stooped to the needing of a label. And I believe when one is in need, one is lacking in Character and subject to Judgment.


:D You are so awesome knowmad. I have an innocent soul. I tend to speak from the heart and not the brain at times. I don't understand what men and women go through when they decide to come out or keep their true self hidden. I can only imagine how the sheer delight or extreme pain that is endured with such a life changing decision. All I know is that no matter where your heart is, I will accept you for who you are. And I would like to label you friend! Hope I don't sound too much like a retard.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:19 pm

maryanimal wrote:Hope I don't sound too much like a retard.

No, more of sweetness and genuine.

We'll eat you alive.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 pm

We go with the term GENDERFLEXIBLE and welcome anyone and everyone over the age of 21. My simple mind continues to marvel at the pigeon-holes we create to focus on our differences rather than embracing our commonalities.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Trishntek wrote:We go with the term GENDERFLEXIBLE and welcome anyone and everyone over the age of 21. My simple mind continues to marvel at the pigeon-holes we create to focus on our differences rather than embracing our commonalities.


I like that.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 13288
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Palm Springs
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:28 pm

TnT is a cool dood.........good outlook, IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maryanimal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
maryanimal wrote:Hope I don't sound too much like a retard.

No, more of sweetness and genuine.

We'll eat you alive.


Eat me alive? That puts me in a conundrum...
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby neon tetra » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:32 pm

2 ?'s -

1) What percentage of folks @ Burning Man do you think are LBG or T?

2) Would anyone be offended if there was a hetero camp?
Image
User avatar
neon tetra
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Postby maryanimal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:48 pm

neon tetra wrote:2 ?'s -

1) What percentage of folks @ Burning Man do you think are LBG or T?

2) Would anyone be offended if there was a hetero camp?


It doesn't really matter the percentage of GLB or T's at burning man. Who cares? If diversity in any form offends a person, I feel sorry for that person. Why would anyone want to make another human being feel uncomfortable about who they are by asking such inane questions about how many people are GLBT? WHO CARES???
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby neon tetra » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:07 am

maryanimal wrote:It doesn't really matter the percentage of GLB or T's at burning man.


I never said it "mattered". I'm just curious.



maryanimal wrote:Who cares?


I do. It's obviously much higher than in the default world, and I'm wondering by how much.



maryanimal wrote:If diversity in any form offends a person, I feel sorry for that person.


Why would diversity offend someone?



maryanimal wrote:Why would anyone want to make another human being feel uncomfortable about who they are by asking such inane questions about how many people are GLBT?


Why would anyone be 'uncomfortable' because of a question?



maryanimal wrote:WHO CARES???


I do. We already established this.
Image
User avatar
neon tetra
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:49 am

I have an uncontrollable urge to pour my martini into the fish tank right about now! :roll:
Image
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7191
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby neon tetra » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 am

The only way my question could be construed as offensive is if you feel there is something wrong/bad about being LGB or T.
Image
User avatar
neon tetra
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 am

neon tetra wrote:The only way my question could be construed as offensive is if you feel there is something wrong/bad about being LGB or T.

Would you prefer an olive or a twist with my martini?
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7191
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:09 am

neon tetra wrote:2 ?'s -

1) What percentage of folks @ Burning Man do you think are LBG or T?

2) Would anyone be offended if there was a hetero camp?

I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with these questions.

Where they lead, may be another matter. and experience dictates wariness, but, as such, what's wrong with them?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Can I just say that in all honestly I tend to use queer.

If I want to push buttons I tell them I'm a "cocksucking kike faggot". I also think wearing clown drag is fun and like "borrowing" 23 year old boyfriends from other people for a make-out session, so I wouldn't dream of being anyone's standard of correctness.

I don't know who asked for percentages, they're plonked, but my guess is that it's probably about the same as SF (15ish %), but we're way more visible because on the whole BRC is a much safer environment than any other large city, including SF. I don't worry about being openly gay anywhere in BRC, I do in areas of SF.

Someone on another thread asked something along the lines of why being openly gay was more acceptable on the playa than being straight- I said it wasn't, its just more publicly visible because we're not worried about having our faces bashed in.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:46 pm

It was interesting to witness the reactions of "straight" men when confronted with sucking a toy's cock to receive an unusual liquor. Many of them overcame and a few simply refused to participate. One day, we did actually keep track of all the cocksuckers who participated. You all may be surprised to know it was 2:1 males over females with only a handful of participants who were difficult to determine their genders.

Now having said all that, I would have to bolster that which Eric pointed out concerning fear and apprehension. There are certainly a greater number of tolerant folks at BM than within any permanent city. By nature it would seem logical BM attracts more open-minded people of all lifestyles, races, religions and backgrounds.

I believe putting a specific population to a specific lifestyle/gender variation would be a difficult task. And, I submit there are those who might seize the opportunity of the event to experiment sexually. The very nature of our camp attracts creatures of all makes and models, so my POV may be a bit skewed.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
User avatar
Trishntek
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby knowmad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 am

A gal in our camp had a whiskey dick. (basically a strap on with a camel bag full of gut rot.)
she had allot of action.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Next

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests