WTF

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: WTF

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm

I don't know why you can't be friends. It's possible that the reason you gave isn't compelling for her.
Or maybe it's that we always think being rejected is cruel and unfair.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:I kind of love this picture. This dude is beautiful.
But the longer I look at it, the more I think it might be a photoshop disaster. I realize that he's leaning towards the camera, so there's some distortion there, but can that head actually go on those shoulders? It seems... impossibly big.

That's my mom, and them's fightin' words.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MisaBlue » Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 am

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am

She's ballsy... gotta admire that.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 am

maryanimal wrote:Just thinking...if you had friends who didn't want to talk with you anymore, for whatever reason, don't you think they should be honest enough with you and tell you the truth? A woman I was friends with a couple years ago, parted ways. It was a good thing. She recently wanted to be friends again and I had to tell her the truth why I couldn't. She said she didn't understand. So I told her.

I'm sure people do this all the time. I miss my friend at times, but it's better for me not to be friends.

I feel kinda foolish making a comment with out know any details of the story. So, probably don't listen to me (which is typically the best approach).
If you don't want to be friends with her and she doesn't get it- O well. Not your problem, you explained your feelings, if she has a problem with that, doesn't matter, she's not your friend.
Though, I'm also very quick to drop someone out of my life that is a negative factor for me. I figure "There A LOT of people in this world, and there is no need for me to have someone in my life that is more negative than positive."
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby maryanimal » Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

fishyfriend: No one likes to be rejected. And it may appear cruel. I had to say goodbye to my friend because she couldn't accept me for who I am. She was critical about my life and was a controlling personality. She didn't understand my bipolar condition. And from a personal stand point, I think I'm rejected from the mere mention of it. *shrugs* I loved her dearly and she was a sweet person.

illy: I agree with you. You made an excellent point. I think she may have been upset because she didn't get her way. After a bit, it became all about her. Which it was, but my feelings were not acknowledged.

(btw, does eplaya have a spellcheck? Or is it a separate program?)
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

Oh goodness, when it comes to mental illness you gotta drop them. You have the enemy within your brain, you don't need to cozy up to more. In some cases there can be a provisional acceptance, if they show some willingness to learn about it, but yeah, hot potato them if they won't accommodate that in their understanding of you.
At this point it's "I won't accept your mental illness as anything important, and since I don't, that's not a good enough reason for you to reject me."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh goodness, when it comes to mental illness you gotta drop them. You have the enemy within your brain, you don't need to cozy up to more. In some cases there can be a provisional acceptance, if they show some willingness to learn about it, but yeah, hot potato them if they won't accommodate that in their understanding of you.
At this point it's "I won't accept your mental illness as anything important, and since I don't, that's not a good enough reason for you to reject me."

*tearing up* I love you myfishyfriend.

*I'm such a freaking crybaby*
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 03, 2012 10:18 am

It's good for you. It creates calming molecules in the brain.
Crybaby is from the realm of childhood (or adult, I suppose) shaming--usually from people who don't let themselves cry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Thu May 03, 2012 10:31 am

illy dilly wrote:Though, I'm also very quick to drop someone out of my life that is a negative factor for me. I figure "There A LOT of people in this world, and there is no need for me to have someone in my life that is more negative than positive."

:shock: :shock: :shock: WTF Illy! :)
Last edited by wh..sh on Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Re: Advice column

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

MA, everyone makes mistakes. It's a way of grace to find forgiveness.
But, ah, I don't know the details and it's your life.

Can get back to our regular scheduled what the fuckness?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby wh..sh » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 am

I am sorry, but I am going to play the devil's advocate.
I think it's really burdening and unfair to set such high expectation on friendship without knowing if a friend is ready for the go. Any kind of mental issues takes toll on people who are suffering from it and on people who are around them.
There was a time when I was going through depression and I was sad all the time! Since my friends saw me transition from the happy, cheerful person to someone so hopeless, it was hard for them to accept. There were even times I got mad at them for not "understanding". And those are the times everyone seems like they are working against you. In all honesty, even though they didnt hug me and act the way I would have wanted them to, they were there for me in their own weird way, the way they knew how.
I think its really unfair to say that "oh, I though we were friends, that means you should accept me for whatever crap I am putting you through". Sadly, I don't agree...
cut them some slack, WTF, they are just as clueless.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm

maryanimal wrote:(btw, does eplaya have a spellcheck? Or is it a separate program?)

Why do you ask? Did I screw up a lot of the spelling on that last message?

Personally, I have my fire fox to Spell check anything in a dialog box. This does not include things in form fields, like "search" boxes.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 pm

wh..sh wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Though, I'm also very quick to drop someone out of my life that is a negative factor for me. I figure "There A LOT of people in this world, and there is no need for me to have someone in my life that is more negative than positive."

Key word here being "more negative than positive"
Friendship can be difficult at times. But, when it gets to the point that there is nothing but negative, and very very little positive. Drop em like a hot potato.
illy dilly

Re: Advice column

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Can get back to our regular scheduled what the fuckness?

True dat!
And I just realized I've posted 3 times in a row. I should have read the entire updated thread before posting

illy dilly

Postby Elderberry » Thu May 03, 2012 12:46 pm

The term I like is "high maintenance" friends. IMHO if they can't maintain themselves, I don't need them in my life. I work full time just to do my own self maintenance! :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm

jkisha wrote:The term I like is "high maintenance" friends. IMHO if they can't maintain themselves, I don't need them in my life. I work full time just to do my own self maintenance! :shock:

And from your icon, we I can tell you do A LOT of "self maintenance"
illy dilly

Postby wh..sh » Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 pm

illy dilly wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

Key word here being "more negative than positive"
Friendship can be difficult at times. But, when it gets to the point that there is nothing but negative, and very very little positive. Drop em like a hot potato.

Of course! I was just trying to give you tough time... don't 86 me!
Life is too short to waste it on negative people.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 03, 2012 2:59 pm

wh..sh wrote:I am sorry, but I am going to play the devil's advocate.
I think it's really burdening and unfair to set such high expectation on friendship without knowing if a friend is ready for the go. Any kind of mental issues takes toll on people who are suffering from it and on people who are around them.
There was a time when I was going through depression and I was sad all the time! Since my friends saw me transition from the happy, cheerful person to someone so hopeless, it was hard for them to accept. There were even times I got mad at them for not "understanding". And those are the times everyone seems like they are working against you. In all honesty, even though they didnt hug me and act the way I would have wanted them to, they were there for me in their own weird way, the way they knew how.
I think its really unfair to say that "oh, I though we were friends, that means you should accept me for whatever crap I am putting you through". Sadly, I don't agree...

I'm just going to say, yes, sometimes our troubles are too much for our friends. I believe there is a point when you can't carry them any more. Yes, it seems unfair--but when you are fighting for your life you gotta jettison the dead weight. At some time in the future you may be able to forgive them, but don't waste time on worrying about when you fighting the monsters.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

wh..sh wrote:Of course! I was just trying to give you tough time... don't 86 me!

What? I'm sorry, do I know you?
Have we met before?
illy dilly

Postby maryanimal » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
wh..sh wrote:I am sorry, but I am going to play the devil's advocate.

I'm just going to say, yes, sometimes our troubles are too much for our friends. I believe there is a point when you can't carry them any more. Yes, it seems unfair--but when you are fighting for your life you gotta jettison the dead weight. At some time in the future you may be able to forgive them, but don't waste time on worrying about when you fighting the monsters.

+100

Although I don't agree with a few things wh..sh, I do agree with somethings she said too. The word burdening doesn't sound right. People don't go out to burden others on purpose. In fact, most bipolars retract from people when they're going through a tough time, while others seek the warmth of there friends.

And I agree that some bipolars do put their family and friends through a lot of crap. Unless you know someone who is bipolar, it's hard to judge, or comment unless you've read everything, dealt with, and if you think it's easy for the affected person, you're (said as a general statement) sadly mistaken.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

WTF. Have you seen this video. It's a bit scary!! But the behbeh is so darn cute!

maryanimal

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 04, 2012 11:59 am

Thats pretty awesome!!!!!

And speaking of Lions have you seen this Video? You probably have, its been around for a while.

illy dilly

Baby Powder

Postby gyre » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 am

If you thought the cannibalism forums were weird ...

http://www.newdaily.co.kr/news/article.html?no=88031
http://news.yahoo.com/horrifyingly-grou ... 43765.html
http://news.yahoo.com/skorea-finds-smug ... 09147.html
http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/sk ... 43509.html

SKorea finds smuggled capsules contain human flesh

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea has seized thousands of smuggled drug capsules filled with powdered flesh from dead babies, which some people believe can cure disease, officials said Monday.

The capsules were made in northeastern China from babies whose bodies were chopped into small pieces and dried on stoves before being turned into powder, the Korea Customs Service said.

Customs officials refused to say where the dead babies came from or who made the capsules, citing possible diplomatic friction with Beijing. Chinese officials ordered an investigation into the production of drugs made from dead fetuses or newborns last year.

The customs office has discovered 35 smuggling attempts since August of about 17,450 capsules disguised as stamina boosters, and some people believe them to be a panacea for disease, the customs service said in a statement. The capsules of human flesh, however, contained bacteria and other harmful ingredients.

The smugglers told customs officials they believed the capsules were ordinary stamina boosters and did not know the ingredients or manufacturing process.

Ethnic Koreans from northeastern China who now live in South Korea were intending to use the capsules themselves or share them with other Korean-Chinese, a customs official said. They were carried in luggage or sent by international mail.

The capsules were all confiscated but no one has been punished because the amount was deemed small and they weren't intended for sale, said the customs official, who requested anonymity, citing department rules.

But back to the babies, this disgusting report might just be official confirmation that this Korean documentary revealing the scary process (it aired last August) is actually true (WARNING: please put your coffee down and finish your breakfast before reading this next part) "Supposedly, the television team paid a lot of money to get some of the pills, and when they tested them, found the pills’ contents were 99.7 percent human, and were also able to discern the babies’ gender from the powder, as well as found hair and nail remnants," reads Geekosystem's report on the documentary.
gyre

Gotta eat me some FINE dirt!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm

http://whitedirt.samsbiz.com/

Bringing You A Warm Smile And A Moment Of Joy!

ORDER 6 UNITS TODAY for $59.70 and WE'LL INCLUDE 2 POUNDS FREE
Ugly Dougly

Mind-controlled Cat Ears!!!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Mon May 07, 2012 7:31 pm

gyre

Postby knowmad » Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 am

Disturbs my notion of community involvement.
But inspires my sense of "To each their own"
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby knowmad » Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm

............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion