Fuck Mother Earth.

All things outside of Burning Man.

Fuck Mother Earth.

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 am

You burner folks sure don't care. Why should I?

Let's pollute it for no good reason. Let's make massive unneccesary bonfires. Let's burn huge amounts of fossil fuel.

Should the general public be impressed with you dipsticks? Should I?

Fuck you, unneccessary polluters. You probably hate whales and dolphins also.
burningquestions

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am

Burnign Man is NOT a enviromental event. Burners try to REDUCE the impact they have for the event compared to if it happened and they did nothing to try to reduce their impact.

Noone claims that they are not polluting the earth. It takes a lot of gas to get 50,000 people there, it takes a lot of resources to make the Man and the Temple and other structures, etc. etc. etc. The goal is to reduce how much polluting we do. It could be vastly worse but there are ride shares, buses to get back to town instead of thousands taking their cars, Earth Guardians to help camps find ways to keep from trashing the land, Exodus to clean up what may have been missed or dropped, listings of recycling centers nearby to drop off recyclables, etc.

And those "unneccesary bonfires" have great symbolic meaning and what isn't burned is donated out to Burners without Borders who gives it to Habitat for Humanity to build homes.

I love camping but 50,000 people a year indepedently or in a group will create a vast amount of pollutants. But they reduce how badly they impact the earth and thats part of being a Burner.

AntiM I did what you ask, now its time for one last thing.

Burningquestions - Sticks and Stones will break your bones but I will make you regret every breath if you attack these people again.

With Love,

Fae
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby velocirafter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:40 am

There really needs to be some kind of system to report abuse on this forum, you cant just go throwing around insults with abandon
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(
velocirafter

Burning Since: 2007

Postby bluesbob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 am

I have never eaten a whale in my life.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: Fuck Mother Earth.

Postby Trishntek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 am

burningquestions wrote:You burner folks sure don't care. Why should I?

Let's pollute it for no good reason. Let's make massive unneccesary bonfires. Let's burn huge amounts of fossil fuel.

Should the general public be impressed with you dipsticks? Should I?

Fuck you, unneccessary polluters. You probably hate whales and dolphins also.

If you are serious about saving the planet, hold your breath for a few days.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby bluesbob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am

OK...I confess...I licked one once.
bluesbob

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 am

bluesbob wrote:OK...I confess...I licked one once.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCfyOXJf3ZM[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 am

Fuck whales and dolphins, those flippery mother fuckers..

I hope the narwhals impale each and every last one.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:11 am

velocirafter wrote:There really needs to be some kind of system to report abuse on this forum, you cant just go throwing around insults with abandon

Actually, you can. There are warnings, posts may be pulled, personal information definitely is pulled, although an outright ban is rare. It can and has happened in the past.

Basically, as a mod, I try not to moderate for content other than specific situations (sales, rentals, spam, commercial links). The community is pretty well self-moderating. There is also the ignore feature so individuals do not have to even see the poster.

I'm watching. My personal reaction is to be mellow for now, as I've seen this behavior before. Eplaya is only entertaining for so long.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am

Eri2K........is that you?.................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby pinemom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 am

EEEEEEEK,,,,a Mouse?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 am

::puts PM on stool and lets out the attack cat::

FaeTora

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 am

bluesbob wrote:I have never eaten a whale in my life.

In some cases it is probably time to start. In some areas the whales have reached the maximum population their food supply can support. In a limited number of areas, it is probably a good idea to cull the oldest of the population in order to maintain the health of the entire heard.

In this case one must look at populations in specific areas, not at species globally. Humpbacks, for example, have made amazing recoveries in some areas but not so amazing in other areas. Southern Hemisphere abundance is currently estimated (as of May 2010) at around 60,000 animals where the pre commercial whaling population is estimated to have been around 100,000. These populations are,however, not evenly distributed. Populations around Australia, South Africa and South America are currently increasing at a rate of about 10%/year. Populations in Oceania are not recovering, though. So in some specific areas, populations may be reaching the maximum the local food supply can carry while in other areas, not so much.

Management of the herds in some areas might be a valid way to also prevent species that compete for the same food sources from becoming imbalanced. Minke whales that reproduce faster might over-populate a region and retard the rebound of populations of other whales that reproduce slower but graze on the same food sources. So there might be cases where reducing the numbers in some specific areas are better for the overall mix of animals. Otherwise we risk a situation of population overshoot, then crash, then rebound, etc. as populations recover.

So the notion of not taking ANY whales, while understandable at an emotional level, might not be the best approach at returning an ecosystem that we destroyed back into balance.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:57 am

I wonder if we can relocate whale herds to assist in the repopulation efforts?

Convert a supertanker, turn it into whale tanks (shouldn't be harder than building an art car), and transport them to areas where the whale population was and remians decimated.

And if they don't survive the trip we can use their oil to synthesize gasoline. Wasn't whale oil a huge commodity at one time?

Or was that banana oil?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I wonder if we can relocate whale herds to assist in the repopulation efforts?

Convert a supertanker, turn it into whale tanks (shouldn't be harder than building an art car), and transport them to areas where the whale population was and remians decimated.

And if they don't survive the trip we can use their oil to synthesize gasoline. Wasn't whale oil a huge commodity at one time?

Or was that banana oil?

yeah, they did it in one of the Star Trek movies.......

and, it may have been "whale banana oil"........hahaha
Whale oil burns super nice in lamps and such
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 am

geekster wrote:

....retard .....

tee hee
Fire_Moose

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am

Fire_Moose wrote:
geekster wrote:

....retard .....

tee hee

Well, we will see. As a top of the chain animal, whale populations are generally controlled only by food supply. Their populations would boom and bust with the availability of it ... much like bison in severe drought.

If we begin to see areas where entire populations of whales become diseased due to malnutrition (as we see in some deer populations where populations have exceeded the carrying ability of the environment) culling may be the only way to return the population to health. If you are going to cull something, it is better to put it to some use rather than simply waste it.

What I am saying is that in a limited number of areas, whale populations could soon exceed the carrying capacity. The problem is that we have imbalanced the mix of various species. That is not something that can be put right by simply leaving them alone and could result in greater number of deaths of whales than simply culling some of them would cause.

I do not favor whaling on a scale we saw in the last century. I do, however, support some management until things return to balance and then some sustainable ongoing management in order to maintain health.

One thing I do NOT support is the "saving" of whales that swim up into fresh water estuaries and rivers and become stranded. Whales have been doing that probably ever since there were whales. These dead whales would provide a food bonanza for a lot of other species. Immature fish, gulls, vultures, crabs, all sorts of things would feast on that carcass.

What I expect to see soon is an example of a large number of animals in some region become sick and die and people blaming themselves on it due to "global warming" or something when the answer might simply be overgrazing. Food sources will vary naturally from one year to the next or over longer cycles. Several years of abundance may allow herds to grow in number to a level that can not be supported if conditions change and the amount of food becomes less plentiful for several seasons.

A la nina condition such as what we see off the equatorial coast of South America results in a burst of nutrients from the upwelling cold water. This, combined with increased sunshine from reduced clouds during la nina conditions create the potential for increased plankton growth. This, in turn, can result in an increase in the number of grazing animals that eat it. In the roughly 30 year period during a negative PDO, you have more and stronger la nina events than el nino events. When the PDO swings positive, the conditions reverse. Now you have more years of sparse food than plentiful food in that region. Populations boom, then crash. Culling the populations during periods of plenty may result in better health of the herd when conditions change and food is more sparse.

Some species of whales migrate great distances, some don't. Even in whales that do migrate great distances, long term variation in ocean circulation can change these migration habits as they do for smaller animals. The coastal US Pacific undergoes a roughly 30-year change from anchovy to sardine as the dominant small food fish and then it swings back. This is also due to changes in water temperature associated with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. When the anchovies leave coastal California, they begin to appear off the coast of Japan. When the sardines leave Japanese waters, they begin to appear off the coast of California. The "changeover" years are a period of sparse food supply and things like pelicans, sea lions and other animals will suffer for a few years (as we are seeing now as we are currently in such a changeover phase).

These temperature and nutrient changes also change what plankton is available and how much of it there is. Animals that eat that plankton will be impacted by those changes in food supply.
geekster

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:48 am

I'm not sure that we have to eat the whales. I mean, carcasses were eaten by locals long before we got on the scene. Killer whales, sharks, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of arthropods who could do it. And I'm not sure if we kill the oldest or the next oldest. If you're managing a forest (for other than lumber, I mean) you don't kill the largest trees, because they are also the most "fit."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby bluesbob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:
geekster wrote:

....retard .....

tee hee

That was completely out of context!
bluesbob

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Quotes don't lie buddy.
Fire_Moose

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 pm

AntiM wrote:
velocirafter wrote:There really needs to be some kind of system to report abuse on this forum, you cant just go throwing around insults with abandon

Actually, you can. There are warnings, posts may be pulled, personal information definitely is pulled, although an outright ban is rare. It can and has happened in the past.

Basically, as a mod, I try not to moderate for content other than specific situations (sales, rentals, spam, commercial links). The community is pretty well self-moderating. There is also the ignore feature so individuals do not have to even see the poster.

I'm watching. My personal reaction is to be mellow for now, as I've seen this behavior before. Eplaya is only entertaining for so long.

I agree. Eplaya is only entertaining for so long.

If you're not a liberal sheeple, you have no place here.

Fuck you in the ass. Because that's something we should all experience. Otherwise we're intolerant. Don't be a racist. Join the groupthink. Assimilate.
burningquestions

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 pm

bq, the button pushing can be entertaining at times but it does become somewhat boring after a while. How old are you?
geekster

Postby ALICEtheGOON » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Dont feed the TROLLS
ALICEtheGOON

Postby ALICEtheGOON » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm

I would like to take this thread 's time to disguss ..

MY MOTHER .

I dont think I can possible love anyone as much as I love my mother.

Shes witty , strong, vivatious ,and can cook some mean ass ..

BACON
ALICEtheGOON

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm not sure that we have to eat the whales. I mean, carcasses were eaten by locals long before we got on the scene. Killer whales, sharks, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of arthropods who could do it. And I'm not sure if we kill the oldest or the next oldest. If you're managing a forest (for other than lumber, I mean) you don't kill the largest trees, because they are also the most "fit."

Oh, we probably aren't to the point of needing to cull anyway. At least not yet. But I do believe we should keep a watch on things. We should probably take a few animals per year from different regions in order to get some idea of what condition the herd is in generally. And if we see emaciation or disease or other indication of malnutrition, reduce some of their numbers a bit.

Considering the damage we have done from over harvesting, what we are likely to see is a situation where a species such as minke whales explode in some small area as they don't migrate far and reproduce faster than, say, blue and humpback whales. This prevents the other species from gaining a foothold in that region. Then their food supply collapses, you see the minke crash in population with many dead/sick whales showing up on shore possibly spreading disease.

If we could take some of those minke whales when their population gets too high, we might prevent the death of more of them later.

Imagine where maybe we have destroyed what was a mixed population of bison, antelope, and horses. Then we simply stop killing them and allow the grasses to grow back naturally. The ranges of these animals is different. Horses tend to stay in the smallest range, antelope range a bit wider and bison wider still. So maybe the horse population explodes in the areas most distant from the bison and prevent the bison from doing well in that area due to over grazing. You could end up with a lot of boom/bust cycles that could take centuries to return to balance. Or you could allow things to come into balance sooner by limiting certain populations when they pressure their food sources in the areas where they are applying that pressure, not globally.

I would not, for example, be in favor of making a general open season on a certain species of whale globally but saying that one can take a certain number of a certain species in a certain area might make good sense. Once it has been decided that a certain population is probably better served by being reduced, you can either simply kill them and let them rot, or you can allow someone who already does that function do it. It is the difference between paying someone to go out and shoot them or simply allowing someone who has a use for them to harvest them and maybe they pay you.

Once populations reach what is decided to be equilibrium, you can then set seasonal numbers on harvest. As a top of the chain animal is limited ultimately by food supply, there is always some number that you can take that will not diminish the overall numbers of the herd. You might be able to take 2% of the population every year and end up with exactly the same population as you would have if you took none because your taking of that 2% of adults might increase calf survival by 10%.

Game management people have it pretty much worked out to a science these days. The problem is in dealing with people's emotional reactions that might have no bearing on reality.
geekster

Postby FaeTora » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 am

burningquestions wrote:
AntiM wrote:

I agree. Eplaya is only entertaining for so long.

If you're not a liberal sheeple, you have no place here.

Fuck you in the ass. Because that's something we should all experience. Otherwise we're intolerant. Don't be a racist. Join the groupthink. Assimilate.

Be careful where you tread. You are on the verge of talking bad about our AntiM.
FaeTora

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:58 am

FaeTora wrote:::puts PM on stool and lets out the attack cat::

KITTY!!!!!

(and look at those pupils...I'll have what they're having...SHINY!)
C.f.M.

Make Mine Sushi !........

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 am

REPENT NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE...

this message brought to you by BP Oil
"fucking you till it hurts"

the rubber
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby capjbadger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby geekster » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 am

I kinda like the thread, though.

The age of antibiotics is coming to an end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10925411

Very soon there will be no antibiotics to fight common infections and we will be right back to where were were before in the early 20th century relying on our immune systems to fight disease.
geekster

Next

Return to Open Discussion