Work in Progress

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks Foxfur, it's really not about drive as much as it laziness. Crunch through a little at a time so I'm able to get everything done without having to kill myself come the end of August.

Awesome work on the vehicle, and love that flamethrower!

Today was t-shirt production day. It took forever, I started early this morning working with the vinyl cutter, eventually getting all the little details weeded out and getting the screen set up. My screening skills aren't great yet, so there were a number of shirts that were less than ideal, but there's something about the worn/damaged look that kinda works.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am

I found out that my big idea for gifting didn't work. Or at least as such. Will try for a save on the side...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

trilobyte wrote:Today was t-shirt production day. It took forever, I started early this morning working with the vinyl cutter, eventually getting all the little details weeded out and getting the screen set up. My screening skills aren't great yet, so there were a number of shirts that were less than ideal, but there's something about the worn/damaged look that kinda works.

Oo. You should offer "vintage" and "non-vintage" when people select their shirts. I would be surprised if at least one person didn't spring for the weathered look on purpose. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

They'll take what they get and like it! *smashes fist on desk* :D

I may end up putting in another order for a few more shirts, then do another smaller run if I get a chance. I enjoyed the process, and look forward to playing around with silk screen designs and ideas in the future (post-burn).

Yesterday I got some organizational stuff done around the loft (clearing out the framework setup used for the awning and clearing off a lot of the space I'd been using on our big workbench so Pandorra's got it available for her upcoming stuff. I also got the deli counter wired up for the lighting/switches. I went with CFL UV bulbs instead of the long fluorescent tubes, I'm really happy with the light they put out.

Then today I managed to get a lot of design-work done to get another couple projects ready for the waterjet. Still quite a bit of tinkering to do before I'm ready to cut, but solved most of the bigger puzzles I think.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

If you're ever running 12v DC instead of AC, Cold Cathode lights come in a black light version too. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:They'll take what they get and like it! *smashes fist on desk* :D

:lol:

I may end up putting in another order for a few more shirts, then do another smaller run if I get a chance. I enjoyed the process, and look forward to playing around with silk screen designs and ideas in the future (post-burn).

I would be a menace if I learned to silkscreen! :shock:

You've got my brain a-churnin'.

Savannah

Postby Foxfur » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Savannah wrote:
trilobyte wrote:They'll take what they get and like it! *smashes fist on desk* :D

:lol:

I would be a menace if I learned to silkscreen! :shock:

You've got my brain a-churnin'.

Poor man's silkscreening:
Poor Foxfur.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:00 pm

I like the way you think, badger - but we're running AC. And the CFL's work great. Depending on what I end up doing with the counter post-burn I may re-wire the lighting with something fancier but that'll do for now. I'm glad to be moving on to other projects (turns out we're being ambitious or something). I've got a couple sessions booked on the shopbot for next week to dial up some bike racks and start working on standees, plus I'm making good progress getting a job set up for the waterjet.

I also got some more silk screen supplies and shirts ordered today, with hopes of another shorter run of shirts next week sometime. I like the spray paint screening pic (done that myself a few times in the past hehe). And Savannah you and Pandorra think a lot alike in that regard - she's been wanting to get into it for years, seeing me tinker around with it has gotten her excited to dive into it sometime after the burn. We've both got some exotic silk screen ideas we'd like to work into some fashion/clothing projects (man, the work never stops being in progress, does it)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 am

Don't forget that stencil, Foxfur! I hope to tempt fate by getting that statement painted onto a tank top, PLZ. :lol:

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 am

Stupid question: Trilo, do you know of a similier place to use tools in the east bay? accessible? populated by minions who will do whatever I tell them?
Cause, I'm having jelousy issues...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Stupid question: Trilo, do you know of a similier place to use tools in the east bay? accessible? populated by minions who will do whatever I tell them?

Seriously.

Watching this thread makes a person internalize that a key element in creativity is having a space in which to spread out one's things. :shock:

Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 am

Savannah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Stupid question: Trilo, do you know of a similier place to use tools in the east bay? accessible? populated by minions who will do whatever I tell them?

Seriously.

Watching this thread makes a person internalize that a key element in creativity is having a space in which to spread out one's things. :shock:

Dammit, yes..............
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 am

Savannah wrote:

Seriously.

folks are welcome to come here. Yeah, I know it's a long way, but still. it's so true, space and time.

proud of serious reply, not innuendo filled reparte
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am

If you've got tools, I'd highly recommend NIMBY in the east bay. They rent you storage space (to keep your stuff securely) and access to quite a bit of workshop space to build anything from stuff you can hold in your hand to steampunk treehouses, trojan horses, and maybe even an anubis. There may also be common tools on-hand, I haven't been over there in a while. I think The Crucible also has some kind of workshop/build-stuff setup.

In other cities, get with Uncle Google and look for things like maker and workshop and community. TechShop (the place I go to) has places in Menlo Park, San Jose, Portland, Detroit, and North Carolina (plus they're working on getting one set up in NY), but there are other companies with similar operations. It's a great idea - like a gym membership, but instead of stairclimbers and rowing machines and stuff they've got all those delicious tools and people to show you how to use them.

We had another fun trip to the fabric store yesterday. Just picking up a few yards here and there, plus some buttons, zippers, and stuff. It was nice to see that this year they're fully prepped for the season and have plenty of fun fur for people to use. This pic shows just one of the 4-5 racks, lots of colors, thicknesses, and styles out there it seems the faux fur gnomes have been hard at work.

In the actual work in progress department, we got a great shipment this morning, the electric assist motor kits for our port-o-trikes. Man, I'm glad we thought to get that order in early. Apparently there's been a huge demand in motor kits for months, and their component suppliers had been backordered. After 7 weeks, they're finally here. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll be able to get them installed on the trikes and we'll get some city usage before the playa.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Savannah wrote:Don't forget that stencil, Foxfur! I hope to tempt fate by getting that statement painted onto a tank top, PLZ. :lol:

Ah yes! I will be bringing that one, the BURN SHIT one, a 1 inch FOXFUR one, and six sets of 1 to 3 inch stencils for the DIYers out there.
Looking for body-safe spray paint...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Foxfur wrote:
Savannah wrote:Don't forget that stencil, Foxfur! I hope to tempt fate by getting that statement painted onto a tank top, PLZ. :lol:

Ah yes! I will be bringing that one, the BURN SHIT one, a 1 inch FOXFUR one, and six sets of 1 to 3 inch stencils for the DIYers out there.

Food coloring in a spray bottle?
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:45 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
Foxfur wrote:

Food coloring in a spray bottle?

I can envision it running. Which is a look, admittedly.

Maybe colored hairspray would be safe, and dry quickly. Colored hair spray probably has to meet some minimum standard of skin safety, since it goes on next to the scalp. Though as with any dye, sensitivity is possible . . . :shock: (Those "color-at-home" kits always urge a sensitivity test 24 hours before coloring--as if anyone ever pays attention.)

There's also airbrushing. Those folks wearing even head-to-toe green body paint got it from somewhere.

Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Oooooh, I need something like that for the Blue Moon thing at the M&G. I am thinking: blue butt-prints on a white sheet. Blue hair spray is a great idea, thank you!!! 8) 8) 8)

Foxfur you should bring those stencils to Tamara Kay's Dye With Dignity and see what she's got! I would love to see BURN SHIT on a silk sarong, wouldn't you?

oh oh oh now I want blue "moons" on a silk sarong. :D

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby ultratang7 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 pm

These are the startings of my Bacon Bloody Mary's.

And here is my kitty guarding the Hot Pickled Carrots n Green beans that will be used as the garnish:

Yes, those are Habanero peppers floating around in there.
Did someone say Crisco-Twister???
ultratang7

Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 pm

I'm not a bloody mary drinker myself, but its impressive nonetheless!

&#$@ing bastard, the electric assist kits shipped without the damned 2A/36v chargers in the boxes. Much as I'd like to install them and get 'em running for an electric-assist ride to the farmer's market in the morning, I've got to wait. Email to our bike guy's been sent, hopefully they're sitting at someone's bench at their place and not something that requires getting from the component supplier. I'd go get a 3rd party charger, but those suckers are spendy.

That and I made good progress in working up my design files for the waterjet. Unfortunately they may prove to be time-consuming jobs, which would make them all kinds of expensive. I'll head back again and chat with some folks who have a lot more expertise than I do, plus I'm looking around to see if there are bay area shops with higher powered lasers than I have access to. It might prove to be more affordable to go that way, we'll see...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TinkerMom » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 am

Finished the seat on the pony cart/now rickshaw.

....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 am

Tinkermom! that is gorgeous. working to finish the pirate boombox... I am hung up on the speaker grills, but at least finished some strap attachments, and the framework for the grills. The plan is to paint the white crossbones on the grills. MDF, I won't let you down.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:16 am

Jella's son, Mrpatatomoto, posted this pic on my FB page yesterday morning:

hyundai-zombie-car-500-0.jpg

I noted the bolt pattern trim and found my project for the day:

P1010863.JPG

I had a box of 500 3/8 x 1 stainless steel bolts out in the shop and had nothing else to do...
I have somewhere around 5,000 other SS fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts, rivets, etc.) and am gonna do the pillars and window frames with socket head cap screws, the rear bumper with bolts and self-tapping hex head screws and bolt some lift sling anchors through the hood in the next week...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 am

wow, what cool projects every one!!!

can't wait to hear your tunes, Elorrum!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Looks awesome all round everybody! My weekend has been all work and no progress, unfortunately. I put in a few more hours on the first couple waterjet projects - cutting out a powdercoating jig, and then make a bunch of steel pendants out of steel (which would get powdercoated). The problem, unfortunately, is that the design would take ages to cut everything out. And at $2 a minute while the waterjet is using abrasive material, it would have cost many hundreds of dollars that we don't have to spend (plus the machine's unavailable for the next couple weeks). I looked at it from a few different angles and have chatted with a couple other folks who are more fluent in the tools than I am, and it wasn't that I messed something up and it was estimating more time than it should, but that it's a very involved design. Dammit! As an alternative I reached out to a bay area shop that has a laser powerful enough to cut the steel I've got, but they also want several hundred more dollars than I can spend.

In the silk screening department the supplies I'd ordered came in, but when I started to prep things to do another run of shirts it looks like the screen I'd made and used last week wasn't up to the job. Since I hadn't thought I'd need to use it I didn't book the vinyl cutter in advance and today it was pretty full up, so I'll have to come back to make new vinyl pieces (and then weed out the bits I don't want) before I can get the screen ready and do the shirts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Elorrum wrote:Tinkermom! that is gorgeous. working to finish the pirate boombox... I am hung up on the speaker grills, but at least finished some strap attachments, and the framework for the grills. The plan is to paint the white crossbones on the grills. MDF, I won't let you down.

Oh wow Elorrum!!! (((((Elorrum))))) wow! All those cool details! How amazing! I love it!

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby Elorrum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

almost finished. needs a final coat of dust.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby MikeGyver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Well now that The forces that be said I'm going to Burning Man this year I need to start a fast track on some projects. *Now where did I shove that drawing board*
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 pm

I spent the afternoon screwing Rambette...
I'm up to 356 screws and bolts, from 8-32 to 1/4-20 and some self-tappers. All are T-304 stainless steel. Life is too short to deal with rust.
Half of them required tapping: layout, drill pilot hole, drill out to tap size, tap, deburr with countersink, install fastener.

I really like how the window frames came out. The vertical runs are on 2 inch centers. The peripherys are on 4 inch centers though I may go back and fill in to 2 inch centers as well.
I picked up some U-bolts the the hardware store and mounted them thru the hood for some faux lift points.

Going to Reno on Thursday through Monday. It'll give me some time to think about the next steps I'll take...

P1010883.JPG

P1010887.JPG

Thanks again Moto!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:05 pm

*da-rool, and swoon, Ff!!*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir