Work in Progress

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:23 pm

well, I got the solar array on it's framework, in place (temporarily, until the inspector leaves, when it goes on a roof I'm going to build), trench in and hooked to "the grid".
I can't "heat it up" until I get the permit signed off, and PG&E (utility company here) changes the meter so it keeps track of the power I feed back to the grid, to offset my bill.......2500 watt system, individual "mini inverters" at each panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Foxfur » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:32 pm

You know? For a lazy pagan you sure git er done :lol:

Beautiful job.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 pm

haha, thanks FF.......yeah lazy Pagan.......wait, you forgot stupid and ugly.......or, wait, you're not my ex wife. never mind.......smooch

note, for the initial framework (I modified, but started there), I used the flat bed, that came on the initial crane truck, that I removed the crane from and put on the M35, that in now the crane truck........

"waste not, want not"..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:12 pm

I finally got back to the Hof doors.
got the "armor" in the core and glued and pinned the interior redwood in place.
Polyurethane subfloor adhesive, 1/2" diameter beads, so it'll squish around the expanded metal (3/16" thick) and get to both sides of the wood, well.
Finish nails shot at angles, to help with holding flat while the glue dries and resist a straight pull.

Expanded metal, single sheet, 3/16" thick.

my dainty thumb, for scale:

laying interior boards:

glue pattern:

covered, glued and pinned:

next will be to finish fabricating the latching and locking mechanisms.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 am

Wow, the doors look great yg! Please keep the updates coming, they are fun to see.

I'm sure you are happy to get back to the doors. Do you ever get that feeling when you return to a half finished project some time later, and you reassemble the parts, and think, whoever started this project built it just like I would have.. Woohoo!

Of course, there are other times, when you wonder, what the f#@k was I thinking!!! Haha!

Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 am

Yggy, you sure got some fun projects going. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 pm

got the door frame standing, after having to fix me electric forlift/pallet jack.
now, I can start bolting the wood into the frame:
this is the outside view. Previous angled cuts are indoor side.

100_3374.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Those are the most beutiful doors I have ever seen!!!

Craftmanship and built strong enough for a Keep. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TinkerMom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:47 pm

^ Swoon........ I love those doors!!!

Ygmir, I could spend days going through your property. All the potential
projects you have there!!
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

thanks FJ.......all the steel is 1/4".

thanks, too, haha, yeah TM: you see potential projects all over in the background of my photos.....haha certainly a "glass half full" way to see them........and, I agree.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby burner von braun » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Outstanding!! And wood seams running in different directions inside and outside, both beautiful, and more impervious.. Dang yggy, you really thought this through! My congratulations.

*wonders if they will fit the opening..haha*
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Postby Patsh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Magnificent doors, Yggy!
A job very well done!!

So, when is the 'door warming party'? :mrgreen:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Foxfur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:08 am

We've got 34 inches of snow in the forecast. I hope they just forgot the hyphen between the 3 and 4. We're at a lower elevation than will see that much but still high enough to get 14 - 20 inches.
Got out the three generators, cleaned out the carb bowls, flushed the tanks, and ran them under load for half an hour.
Got all the catalytic propane heaters together and burned em in for the year.
I love this shit! Awesome practice for the end of days and is actually really fun :D
I need to get into town and pick up some easy protien packed canned foods like chili with no beans, split pea soup, Spam, and bean with bacon, beef and barley, chicken and wild rice soups.
And a snow shovel. If I shovel our 200 yard gravel driveway once every other hour I can keep up though mornings are a bit more work.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

I agree with all the door compliments! Those are beautiful, ygmir. Foxfur, it is sort of fun to prep for forting up, hope it stays that way. You have so much fun with propane poofers, I wonder why you are using a shovel to get rid of snow. Does it take a whole lot of gas to melt that much snow? I've been looking at hot electric knives for carving styrofoam. How dangerous would it be to run AC through a smallish wire and get it hot? I was looking at my toaster while toasting breakfast...
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Foxfur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:58 am

Elorrum wrote:I agree with all the door compliments! Those are beautiful, ygmir. Foxfur, it is sort of fun to prep for forting up, hope it stays that way. You have so much fun with propane poofers, I wonder why you are using a shovel to get rid of snow. Does it take a whole lot of gas to melt that much snow? I've been looking at hot electric knives for carving styrofoam. How dangerous would it be to run AC through a smallish wire and get it hot? I was looking at my toaster while toasting breakfast...

Hi Elorrum!
It takes alot of energy transfer to melt snow using heat sources. Something like 1 BTU to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree in one minute? Somebody can post the info because I'm on a modem and have a time crunch to git mah arse into town for supplies :D
This doesn't mean I won't pull out the flamethrowers and play in the snow, yay!

The electric foam knife? You have just described exactly what a "real" foam knife is! It's just a piece of nichrome wire (14 - 20 ga or something around there) connected across 120vac. I might suggest using an autotransformer to vary the voltage or if you don't have / don't want to buy one, just use a stepdown transformer to around 20-40 volts. A multi-tap xfmr w/ a number of toggle switches or a rotary switch would be a great option as well. You should be able to pick up a multi-tap at Alltronics up in north San Jose, you probably know exactly where it is (I miss that place, started going there @ age 8...).

Do be careful of the exposed line voltage. You know this But I mention it for others benefit :).

You can probably google "home made foam knife" and come up with many ideas.

If anyone can do this it's you my darling tech-goddess.
Wheee!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby 5280MeV » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Foxfur wrote:Something like 1 BTU to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree in one minute? Somebody can post the info because I'm on a modem and have a time crunch to git mah arse into town for supplies :D

1 BTU will raise one pound of liquid water by one degree (F), I think that is how the BTU is defined. BTU is a unit of energy, so there is no time involved.

Ice has a lower heat capacity, so it takes about half as much energy to raise the temperature by a degree.

Melting Ice is another matter, one has to add the heat of fusion in energy, which is about 144 BTU/lb in imperial units.

With the chemical energy in a gallon of propane one could theoretically melt up to 640 lbs of ice, although the real efficiency would certainly be lower.

On the other hand, with one kilowatt of electrical power, one could only melt up to 23.7 pounds of ice per hour, at the theoretical maximum.

Unless I made a mistake.
5280MeV

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Ah, having a physics geek on the board is very useful...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby MisaBlue » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, having a physics geek on the board is very useful...

He is so cute :)

Postby Foxfur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:45 pm

MisaBlue wrote:

Yeah... ;)
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:00 pm

5280MeV wrote:
1 BTU will raise one pound of liquid water by one degree (F), I think that is how the BTU is defined. BTU is a unit of energy, so there is no time involved.

Ice has a lower heat capacity, so it takes about half as much energy to raise the temperature by a degree.

Melting Ice is another matter, one has to add the heat of fusion in energy, which is about 144 BTU/lb in imperial units.

With the chemical energy in a gallon of propane one could theoretically melt up to 640 lbs of ice, although the real efficiency would certainly be lower.

On the other hand, with one kilowatt of electrical power, one could only melt up to 23.7 pounds of ice per hour, at the theoretical maximum.

Unless I made a mistake.

Bravo! I wouldnt even fathom that someone from a festival like this even knows what a BTU is, let alone be able to explain it.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

BTU= better tutu university! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 am

MisaBlue wrote:

Yes he is. :oops:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 am

ygmir wrote:got the door frame standing, after having to fix me electric forlift/pallet jack.
now, I can start bolting the wood into the frame:
this is the outside view. Previous angled cuts are indoor side.

100_3374.JPG

Very nice. What are they for? The fort or the castle?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby 5280MeV » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Hey, Thanks for the kind words, y'all are awesome!

Here's my project:

half-cooler-1.JPG

The idea is to have AC but to bring as little on the plane as possible. Four curtains are made from an undershirt and wire hangers. The curtains are inserted lengthwise into a water suitcase and hang into a reservoir of water in the bottom. Capillary action pulls the water up the curtains, keeping them wet.

80mm computer case fans on either end of the suitcase blow air through the suitcase and between the curtains. The presence of the curtains actually appears to increase the airflow, which makes sense as they could reduce turbulence.

All the tools needed to assemble it on-playa (or waiting in a car at the gate) are arrayed on the table.

half-cooler-2.JPG

The intake fan is currently an old CPU fan, and the exhaust fan is missing. Hopefully the two case fans I ordered will come in tomorrow and I can make the last curtain and finish it.

Testing is kind of hard as I don't have a hygrometer or a good thermometer to test this. If the relative humidity is really around 50%, and if a meat thermometer can be trusted at all, then I am reducing the temperature by about 5-7 degrees. According to a psychrometric chart (I just learned that term :D ) the maximum reduction is 10-15 degrees, so I am somewhere around 30-60% efficient.

My guess is that low efficiency is fine on the playa as long as you get good airflow. At 110 F and 2% humidity, a 100% efficient swamp cooler should be able to achieve internal air temperatures of 57 F, which is just crazy. I dunno how much the high altitude effects this, and I am using a sea-level chart, so maybe I need to get the barometric pressure on-playa and find an appropriate chart.

Suggestions welcome!!!
5280MeV

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 pm

cool project, MeV.......you might consulet with Figjam, he may have some of those answers. he's got a very good design, too.

@JK:
they are for the "Hof".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Foxfur wrote:We've got 34 inches of snow in the forecast. I hope they just forgot the hyphen between the 3 and 4. We're at a lower elevation than will see that much but still high enough to get 14 - 20 inches.
Got out the three generators, cleaned out the carb bowls, flushed the tanks, and ran them under load for half an hour.
Got all the catalytic propane heaters together and burned em in for the year.
I love this shit! Awesome practice for the end of days and is actually really fun :D
I need to get into town and pick up some easy protien packed canned foods like chili with no beans, split pea soup, Spam, and bean with bacon, beef and barley, chicken and wild rice soups.
And a snow shovel. If I shovel our 200 yard gravel driveway once every other hour I can keep up though mornings are a bit more work.

FF: with your propane burners, you can write your name in the snow without making it yellow, and can make way bigger letters and longer words!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Magnetic perpetual motion generator

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:26 pm

I've been awakened out of my slumber by all the fine examples of craftsmanship illustrated on this thread and have discovered a project into which I can sink my teeth. Magnetic Perpetual Motion Motor. Anybody ever build one? I am going to give it a go and see what happens. If I can build one to turn a 500W wind turbine, that would be enough to keep my solar array pretty well charged. Any thoughts about the HoJo Motor?

http://www.hojomotor.com/
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 pm

entropy
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby knowmad » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Does it run on unicorn poo?
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:12 am

MeV, I like you more and more.

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion