ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am

Actually went to the gym. Nerves around my mesh are humming and poking me. They do that.

Mammogram tomorrow. Woohoo, boob squish.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:29 pm

AntiM wrote:Nerves around my mesh are humming and poking me.

Last night I squished my right leg between my chair and the bench I was on... Total pins and needles in an entire zone. I've had that as background "noise" but never like this.

Yeah, I was prepping for my walk, so it does count.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tatonka » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:32 pm

all my old wounds act up in the rain and cold , normal i guess. Really need to gain weight , seeing the pics im to skinny.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:00 pm

I seem stuck at 245..........Tatonka, I'd love to figure a way to share.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm

I know a Doktor in Transylvania who can probably arrange that...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I know a Doktor in Transylvania who can probably arrange that...

is his number 6-5000?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby maryanimal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I just had to...

[media]
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby tatonka » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm

:)

tatonka

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 pm

jeeze:

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Re: going on 1500 calories a day is for the birds!

Postby Soylent Queen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:43 am

AntiM wrote:My nutritionist wants me on 1500 calories a day. I have the eating plan and the knowledge, even the motivation. But it is hard, damn hard. She says do my best as often as I can, and to track my eating patterns in writing.

I now have arthritis in my feet, walking becomes painful at random times. I'm afraid I'll far away from home and not be able to walk back. Bike? Nope, the deformed L-5 says no, plus the snow and ... everything. Swim? In Utah? maybe I can go up to the university, I am an alum after all. The bus goes up there. yeah, I don't drive, so getting around is something I have to work at. I know I make excuses.

I have a gazelle machine, a wii fit, and free weights. I like the wii fit, and it certainly helps.

I'm not getting in shape for the playa, I'm trying to lose some of my mass so I feel better. Oh, and not die of heart disease or diabetes, neither of which I have yet, but I'm a good candidate. Not dying too soon, good enough for me.

I'm a Type 1 diabetic—got it when I was 3, and I'll be 52 at the next burn, Buddha/God/Fate willing. After a lifetime of getting it under tighter and tighter control, at this point, I have a lot of experience with nutrition.

I don't want to get preachy on you, but I would strongly advise anybody to avoid nutritionists who advocate calorie restricted diets. Put simply, they don't work. Period. They have a failure rate of 97% percent, if I recall correctly.

Low carbohydrate eating is where you want to go to lose weight.

Highly recommended reading that looks at the science of why this is true, from multiple science writing award winner Gary Taubes: "Good Calories, Bad Calories." A very, very thick book, stuffed with both analysis of nutrition research and meta-analysis of those studies. Takes a long time to get through, but it's well worth it. It will not only help you to decipher the wrong-headedness of calorie restriction, but it will point you to the reasons why you can't seem to stop eating ice cream.

In a nutshell, you can't get away from the ice cream because carbohydrates are addictive. I'm sure you've heard this before, but I don't think people take this seriously.

Take it seriously. Carbohydrates stimulate insulin production. Insulin is a key hormone that both stores food as bodily fat and stimulates the appetite. Once you stop eating so many carbohydrates, you stop prompting your pancreas to produce so much hunger-causing insulin.

Besides Taubes' work, there's an easier book to digest (pun intended) that serves as a good intro to the same material: Dr. Bernsteins "The Diabetes Solution."

Same drill: go low-carb.

I eat between 10-30 grams of carbs/day. It's very sustainable. I've been doing it for years. I lost 38 lbs.

The Playa can be a challenge for diabetics and those who eat low-carb. I'm thinking of trying to establish a camp where low-carb cooking is done, and perhaps gifted in the form of snacks to all Burners. I have in mind fresh strawberries drowned in heavy cream.

Is that low carb? Oh yes. Will it kill your cholesterol levels? No. But you won't believe me until you read more about it, so please do read those books I suggested if you're dedicated to losing weight and fending off diabetes.

And then, of course, get in touch with me if you'd like to join up with this proposed camp (name: "Sugar Bitch."). I'm thinking that gifting of vinegar foot baths would be nice too, particularly for diabetics but really, for anybody. And then again, I'm thinking that go-go dancers in cages would be lovely, and dancing is, of course, my ultimate favorite form of exercise. (Fun fact: Joslin Clinic's long-term study of people who've managed to survive 50+ years with diabetes has found that such people [I'm close to it, and when I get there, I get a GOLD MEDAL!!!!] love exercise but most particularly share a love of dance. I think I know why, and I'll bore you with my theories anytime! Write me!)

Good luck, my friend!
Best wishes,
Soylent Queen
:D
Soylent Queen

Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am

Sigh. You're making assumptions about what I eat. Stop that. Makes me angry.

I have my own theme camp, thanks. Very established, not planning any changes.

Glad you found what works for you. Cheers.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 am

nuthin better than free advice...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 pm

My blood sugar is a bit of a hobby. I found gymnema sylvestre works great for leveling out the highs and lows. YYMV but its been successfully used for type 2's in india for a very long time.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby tatonka » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 pm

I have a high metobolic rate , after service I boxed at 139lbs at 6' tall , after boxing I lfted weights and drank a gland balancer shake. I went up to 175lbs . Was benching 245lbs and dead lifting 375lbs . didnt like squats could only do a max of 250lbs.
On stopping weight lifting and the shake I dropped to 160lbs and held that for many years , then got cancer and the pain meds and the resewing of my throat
I dropped to 125lbs. I got back up to 145lbs and still have a flat tummy, and I eat almost all carbs , when I boxed I would eat spagetti and choc cake the night before a fight to carbo load up . Sometimes you would have 2-3 fights in a day ( tourament ) so you would need extra energy. Im 58 now and have peanut butter on toast and oatmeal and a 350 cal shake for breckfast , than chicken and rice for lunch , than either meatloaf or spagetti with beans or pototoes and gravy and icecream and berries before bed. All that with 2 -3 beers a day and 4-6 brownies also. And I cant gain any weight :(
So I going lay off working out so much and try to build a layer of bodyfat this skinney old man needs.

tatonka

Postby peyote2004 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:44 pm

tatonka wrote:I have a high metobolic rate , after service I boxed at 139lbs at 6' tall , after boxing I lfted weights and drank a gland balancer shake. I went up to 175lbs . Was benching 245lbs and dead lifting 375lbs . didnt like squats could only do a max of 250lbs.
On stopping weight lifting and the shake I dropped to 160lbs and held that for many years , then got cancer and the pain meds and the resewing of my throat
I dropped to 125lbs. I got back up to 145lbs and still have a flat tummy, and I eat almost all carbs , when I boxed I would eat spagetti and choc cake the night before a fight to carbo load up . Sometimes you would have 2-3 fights in a day ( tourament ) so you would need extra energy. Im 58 now and have peanut butter on toast and oatmeal and a 350 cal shake for breckfast , than chicken and rice for lunch , than either meatloaf or spagetti with beans or pototoes and gravy and icecream and berries before bed. All that with 2 -3 beers a day and 4-6 brownies also. And I cant gain any weight :(
So I going lay off working out so much and try to build a layer of bodyfat this skinney old man needs.

:shock: I think I just gained 5 pounds reading your post. I wish I had a metabolism like that.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:00 am

Sounds like MyLarry, he can't gain weight. When he was younger, he was in the hospital in isolation for a staph infection after surgery. They fed him 9,000 calories a day, three double meals with hoagie sandwiches and milkshakes three times a day between meals. 48 days I think. He didn't gain an ounce, but he did stop sleeping.

Sigh.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:28 am

isn't it amazing, though, how different we are? how our genetics, something that worked long ago to help us survive, when mixed, can make a whole different being?

I'd bet my genetics and Tatonkas and MyLarrys, are very similar, I'm only 3" taller , but weigh 100 (ish) lbs. more, at about the same age, and probably a similar life and lifestyle (from what I've gleaned).
Not a good or bad thing, just so interesting how it works.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am

We change over time.. At one time I was an eating machine and stayed the same..
Suddenly I gained 65 pounds.. Then tried to lose it.. Lost 50 and stuck there.. Lost ten last year and it come back after Burning Man.. Try to workk harder in the yard/garden and eat a little less.. Suggest everyone lose the weight they need to before age 65.. After that it's a real bitch,,
unjonharley

Postby tatonka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 pm

ygmir wrote:isn't it amazing, though, how different we are? how our genetics, something that worked long ago to help us survive, when mixed, can make a whole different being?

I'd bet my genetics and Tatonkas and MyLarrys, are very similar, I'm only 3" taller , but weigh 100 (ish) lbs. more, at about the same age, and probably a similar life and lifestyle (from what I've gleaned).
Not a good or bad thing, just so interesting how it works.

there are 3 glands in your body that give you your shape , if all things are bal you have a good shape. My thyroid is over active so I have the skinney shape
its called ectomorph I think , and there names for the other body shapes also. Only time I ever gained real weight was when I was drinking the gland balancer '
shake. Have to try and find that again.
Im at my boxing weight of 139lbs and my blood pressure is 125/65. I always had good BP ,once before a fight the Doc was checking us and as he was checking my BP . He looks up and says " your going to win arnt you? " and I say "Ya " Right before the fight it was 120/62 :) I always did a relaxing thing
before a match.

tatonka

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph. I don't know if those are still used. I'm the "apple" shape. fuuuuuuuuck
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby FossaFerox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm

What you're talking about is somatotype and it was dismissed as quackery back in the 1950s.

Yes, thyroid conditions will play a major role in your body composition, but among people with healthy thyroids (and no other diagnosable, treatable disorders) you still see about the same incidence of both obesity and people who are underweight.

The biggest predictors of obesity and the things we can address in order to fix obesity are lean body mass, caloric intake, and nutrient type/timing. I'm tempted to talk about all of these at length, but that would make this a VERY long post. I'll give you guys the short version and this will still be a horrifically long post. For those wondering about my qualifications to speak about this stuff with some authority, I'm a top tier personal trainer at what is quite probably the best gym in the world. With that, let's dive in...

Lean body mass.

Lean body mass is tremendously important to your overall health. When we talk about lean body mass we're really talking about the quantity and quality of skeletal muscle. Obviously there are secondary considerations when we talk about muscle (flexibility, relative muscle balance/posture, activation and patterning) but when we talk about body weight/composition it's simple: more is better, and a base line amount is tremendously important.

When people talk about their metabolism slowing down as they get older what they are talking about is sarcopenia; the loss of muscle mass with aging starting after about 25. Without addressing it, AVERAGE people lose up to about 1% of their skeletal muscle mass every year. Sedentary people lose even more. In addition to the loss of muscle you see decreases in capillary density in your muscles. This means that your RESTING metabolism (how much energy your body consumes when at rest) goes down and your ability to burn calories through exercise is greatly diminished. Simply put, without lean muscle that time on the treadmill or lifting weights won't give you the same caloric burn.

This is particularly a problem since our bodies (pick one: did not evolve//were not designed) to function without a certain requisite basal metabolic rate. When your BMR drops below this point because of unchecked sarcopenia your overall metabolic pathways start getting properly fucked. We're talking about the loss of the T-cells responsible for breaking down fat in the first place.

This is why some form of strength training is incredibly important if you want to live a long, healthy life. It's also the first step to losing weight if you are obese without an underlying medical cause like hypothyroidism.

Caloric Intake

By and large, at the end of the day calories in - calories burnt = change in body mass. This is almost perfectly true in the absence of major diagnosable medical disorders. Eat less and your body pulls the excess calories from existing tissue. If you diet, you will lose weight. However, this point ties into both the point before it and the point after it, mainly the point after it, and in the end there is a lot more to nutrition.

First, it's important to understand that change in diet will produce short term results. If your BMR is too low because you lack the baseline requisite lean muscle mass you will find you regain the weight pretty fast once you resume eating comfortable amounts of food. This will not happen if you bring your lean body mass up and your overall % body composition to within acceptable limits.

As you diet, there are a LOT of things to consider, most of which I'll cover in our third point. One important fact is that it doesn't just matter how many calories you eat but where those calories come from. Metabolic pathways are tricky, complex beasts that are deeply inter-meshed with our endocrine systems. This is the most important thing that you need to know, though:

The body CANNOT burn fat in the absence of carbohydrates. "Fat burns in a sugar flame"; technically it's a metabolic process driven by oxidative glycolosis, but without glycogen (carbs) that process can not happen. If you don't have glycogen stored in your muscles or liver and you don't have any glucose in your blood stream from eating carbs your body has to MAKE the glucose to burn the fat it already has. It does this by breaking down protein. It pulls some of this protein from your muscles. If you don't have enough dietary protein it pulls even more protein from your muscles. Either way this is VERY BAD because as I mentioned, muscle mass is paramount.

To prevent this you need to continue to eat some amount of carbohydrates while dieting. That being said, by and large I'm not talking about what most people call "carbs". White bread is the worst fucking thing ever made. Vegetables are some of the best. What we're talking about here is glycemic index (GI); how quickly the sugars from your food enters your blood stream. Google is your friend. Low GI is good. High GI is bad. More on that later. Bottom line though, never cut carbs out entirely or you're shooting yourself in the foot. That's why the major fasting diets use juice cleanses. Small amounts of carbs constantly trickled in to fuel the fat burning process. This isn't the only way to do it, but it's an important concept to keep in mind.

Nutrition type/timing

Okay, this one is the most complicated and also the most important. There are a few major takeaways that I make sure every one of my client understands. Without these, you will hate trying to lose (or gain) weight and feel terrible the entire time you are doing it.

To understand these points, you need to understand your body's limitations and how it (pick one: evolved//was designed).
  1. We were not meant to eat food only three times a day.
  2. We were not meant to eat food without expending effort.
  3. We were not meant to eat food that is seriously the nutritional equivalent of rocket fuel.

Our bodies are intended for a world where food is the limiting factor on lifespan and population caps. Hard work is supposed to equate to more food and our bodies are remarkably talented at dealing with periods when things go wrong and that hard work doesn't pay off. We are very, very good at getting fat when things are going well so that the second something is wrong we still have energy available. That used to be essential to our survival. Essentially your body can exist either in a healthy steady state or a turbulent feast/famine cycle. The latter leaves you feeling like shit, and you feel even worse if the "famine" portion never comes.

Explanations:

1) If you go 4-6 hours without eating anything your body's cortisol levels start to rise. This is the main stress hormone we produce. Our bodies literally feel stressed when, from our body's point of view, food isn't readily available. These elevated cortisol levels in turn trigger an insulin response when we do eat. Your body will rush and try to make fat as a result. This is the feast/famine cycle I mentioned. Solution: Eat more often. Snack regularly. Don't eat more, but spread out your consumption to avoid large periods of time when you don't eat. If you do go a long period of time without eating take steps to mitigate the inevitable insulin response. "Set off the trap" by eating something small with a very low GI. Or follow my advice from the second point and do some small amount of exercise before breakfast.

2) What your body does with the food you eat largely depends on what you did prior to eating it. Once upon a time we'd only get to eat if we walked around gathering berries or tackled a god damned antelope. Doing any kind of exercise primes your body to take the food you eat and do good, useful things with it (put it in glycogen storage) as opposed to bad things with it (making fat). Clearly if we don't need to work hard for the food there's tons of it around and now is the time to make fat so that we're ready for the lean times, right? As far as our bodies are concerned, this is true. As a result, the best time to eat anything is 30 minutes after you finish exercising. This is ESPECIALLY important if you continue to eat foods with a high GI as your body will be more successful in turning them into fat if it goes that route. If instead you exercise first not only will your body be less predisposed to making fat you will actually experience what's called glycogen supercompensation. The short of it? You have more glycogen available to your muscles, organs, and even your brain. You feel more alert, more energetic, and perform better even at mental tasks. It's kind of a big deal.

3) This one is all down to glycemic index. Seriously? White bread is the worst thing in the world for your body. I mentioned GI in both of my other points, but it deserves its own point because it's a REALLY big deal. The more you stay away from foods with a high GI and eat foods with a lower GI the happier you'll be and the more balanced you feel as you try to lose weight. If you must eat foods with a high GI be mindful of when you do it and consider that in relation to points 1 and 2.

Okay. This is long and rambling, but I think I got the basics across well enough. If anyone has any specific questions for me, I'd be happy to clarify anything that's weirdly worded or seems off.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby tatonka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph. I don't know if those are still used. I'm the "apple" shape. fuuuuuuuuck

Im old so I heard about them :) everyone gets pissed cause i can eat anything, and as much as i can handle ,and not gain weight. Only time I gained
all that weight in a short period of time { 6 mths } was from the gland balancer shake.

me at 22 just got out of service and had not started boxing yet about 145 lbs

im in the ring at 139lbs light welterweight had 152 fights , only lost 2 :)

here I was 33 years old and lifting weights 3x a week ,Im at 175lbs ,with my sis

here I am at 58 139lbs

tatonka

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

FossaFerox, I just printed that out so I can study it.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby tatonka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:45 pm

FossaFerox , my riding buddy seen a pic i took of him , he had gotten pear shaped . So he started eating smaller meals more often and exeriseing ( bike riding and walking and small dumb bell weights ) He also looked at the food he eats , less ingrients on the pkg the better :) he is 5'8" and was 180 lbs he is now his high school weight of 146lbs and he is 60 years old :)
He did most of what your saying , and thinks its the only way, now that it worked for him :) , he thinks Im a some kind of freak cause of all the food I eat and dont gain nothin .

tatonka

Postby FossaFerox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah, you're really fortunate tatonka, and while I don't doubt any of what you're saying, you have to realize it's unusual. ;) Glad things worked out for your buddy.

Elliot (or anyone else) let me know if there's anything I can clarify or help with.

One question I got asked in a PM that I feel should be answered publicly. If cortisol causes your body to try to rush to make fat, does that mean that other types of stress (work, family, money, sleep deprivation) can also help make you fat? Yes. They do. Fortunately pre-meal exercise also provides much needed stress relief if done right. That being said, any way you can minimize stress in your day to day life will make weight loss easier. I talk with my clients at length about their sleeping habits, about their support network at home, about their hobbies, and at the end of the assessment I try to come up with a program that won't just get them results, I try to find one they'll enjoy and feel better for having completed it.
Last edited by FossaFerox on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Yeah, you're really fortunate tatonka, and while I don't doubt any of what you're saying, you have to realize it's unusual. ;)

Elliot (or anyone else) let me know if there's anything I can clarify or help with.

that's a very kind offer, thank you!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:47 pm

My thyroid runs high yet I'm overweight. This confuses the heck out my doctor. I'm currently doing 2 meal replacement shakes and eat whatever I want for lunch. I've lost 15 lbs so far and still going.. Just bought a new bra yesterday and my pants are getting looser by the week. In about a month I'll start exercising to get the abdominal muscles stronger to help w back fatigue.

I have a lot of weight emotional issues, so I can use all the support I can get.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm so happy for you, Robbidobbs. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Yay, Robbi!

I am getting to the gym a couple times a week, and doing my light weights at home other days. Using the new to me glycemic index apps, I found a variety of good between meals snacks which are healthful in a number of ways and give me choices. I'm seeing numbers on the scale which are unfamiliar.

Goals include more walking on off gym days, and begin using my Wii fitness programs which I do enjoy, but neglect.

And then I had some Pumpkin Spice Kahlua .... :twisted: :coffee:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Congratulations on your progress Robbi!

It may help to remember that in the early stages you're probably making more progress than you realize. When you're fighting your way back to a healthy body composition (and it is a battle) the early victories are the hardest to appreciate. With some of my clients I use the analogy of emptying out a container of water. If you take a cup of water out of a bathtub, you won't see the water level drop very much at first, not the way it does when you take a cup of water out of a pitcher. Still, if you persist, cup by cup, you will bring that water level down. The last pound you lost might be the most noticeable, but it's also the least important! Keep it up, you're doing great.

When you start trying to strengthen your core, message me. The most important exercises to protect the back focus on the deep, foundational core muscle, the transverse abdominis. Sit-ups and crunches (which are fucking awful for your spine to begin with) don't do enough to target this muscle. The muscle fibers of this muscle run horizontally which let it function as a sort of internal weight belt, protecting you while making you more stable. As an added bonus it also means they function as a sort of internal corset, keeping your innards where they belong so you look even better. ;)
FossaFerox

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion