ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby AntiM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:29 pm

A week in Vermont has does nothing wonderful for me, except I am blissfully overloaded on maple everything. Went to Ben and Jerry's for the tour and samples. Oh, and they have flavors served only at their scoop shops, which practially have entire toffee candy bars in them. And then there's the Cabot cheese annex, and Cold Hollow Apple cider and cider donuts, and Lake Champlain chocolates (mostly meh) and all sorts of fresh baked goods in the shops, and maple syrup outlets... maple syrup creamee sundae! Maple fudge, maple coffee, maple everything.

And lobster rolls in Maine.

And very little exercise, my seroma hurts like hell.

So tomorrow is a new day, yeah?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Ah but did you enjoy yourself and unwind some? And tomorrow is another new day, don't be to hard on yourself.

Missed you around here and glad you're back! :)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby forty_eight » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

yellow color station

color explosion about to begin

boooooom ...

Fun event: http://thecolorrun.com/

5K run/walk with 4 color stations and a 'color explosion' at the end. Fun ... feel like we left a mess, though. Kinda shady when you leave somewhere hoping the 'organizers' had a clean-up plan. I mooped a bit as I do on most runs. It's usually paper cups - this time empty bags of colored corn starch (i think).

Running seems like a real chore until coupled with a community of participants in the form of a race! This one inspired by an Indian festival of color ... good times.
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am

This was my workout this weekend. The video is random and chaotic enough for Burners to appreciate, I think. :)

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Fufa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Started a food diary. Gotta love those smart phone apps that do all the calorie counting and math for you!
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby maryanimal » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I should do te same thing. I've worked out twice now and haven't lost any weight yet...LMAO
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Fufa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 pm

maryanimal wrote:I should do the same thing. I've worked out twice now and haven't lost any weight yet...LMAO

Send me a PM if you want to know the name of the app. It's free to download, and if you don't have a smartphone they have a website version you can use instead. You can also use it to track exercise and how much water you drink each day, but I'm mostly using it for food.
Fufa

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 pm

maryanimal wrote:I should do te same thing. I've worked out twice now and haven't lost any weight yet...LMAO

Fufa's advice is good. Please also note: two workouts is too soon to see weight loss! Have faith--be brave. Give it a month of regular workouts. You'll probably see something before then, but if you watch the scale like a hawk it may cause you anxiety, especially if you gain a pound due to a little extra salt or something.

Take some measurements (so that you have another barometer). Try on a pair of jeans and feel how they fit; try them again later. Sometimes you will see your measurements shrink before the scale tells you anything. And muscle weighs more than fat, so during the "reorganization" of fat-to-muscle, scales can be a bit misleading.
Savannah

Postby delle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 am

Yep. Even going to this "gym" 5 days a week -- 3 weeks later, I'm actually 2lbs heavier than I was when I started. Although I didn't have any weight to lose, per se, so I'm probably not likely to... I'm thinking that it's the jello turning to meat. There's a definite trend towards shifting of shape, and the beginning of a tautness that wasn't there before.

The biggest benefit tho is the lack of pain in the morning. It was getting so that all my joints ached when I woke up. That's pretty much gone now, so Yay!!!
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am

Also, look at your measurements as well as your weight fur future changes.
"Fat" weighs less than "muscle", so your measurements may change before your weight does.

Some new scales can measure your body fat percentage pretty accurately. Might be a good motivating toy. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

I'm tracking both my weight and a bunch of measurements, because I know I have a tendency to gain muscle mass. You should see my dad, he's toned as heck from running twice a week.

I must have been retaining a lot of water, because 2lbs melted off as soon a I cut out the extra salt. It can't be daily fluctuations, because I always weigh first thing in the morning before breakfast.
Fufa

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am

Measure yourself once a month, same time of month. Waist, hips, upper arm, thigh are the basics.
Weigh only once a week (I weigh too often).
I also track blood pressure (once a week) and cholesterol (six months), and blood sugar (annually).

I put on two pounds on vacation, but that should come off easily. I also have no idea what my cycle is doing, other than causing random cramps. Perimenopause may be causing water retention, or not. I haven't a fucking clue anymore.

Oh, and I'm cranky as hell with my seroma. It hurts, the surgeon was surprised it was still so large this month. Aspiration went poorly, so back again in three weeks. Damn thing.
AntiM

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm

My favorite time to weigh myself is after a workout, before dinner. It's always the most encouraging. :)

(For some reason I am puffy when I wake up.)

And not daily. That would make me neurotic, I think.
Savannah

Postby MisaBlue » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Sunday 3,1 miles on my derby skates outside :)

Today another 7,4 miles :)

I love it!!!

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Great picture. :D
Savannah

Postby forty_eight » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Cool gif from a different Color Run ... I still had some red in my ears this AM! haha
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Perhaps inspired by something in India:

Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 pm

A half hour on the arm bike last night. Want to do the same tonight. Tomorrow is the long walk up the hill. We'll be watching for dogs, cats and mushrooms...

(My father and I have a very interesting meta-narrative about our walks. Odd, odd people, my family.)
I'm carrying 7 pounds of weights on those walks. I'll probably add to that. And I should buy some more gloves.

No one has any suggestions for treats that might help me keep away from snacks? [I don't mean healthy treats for me to eat, so much as something to give myself rewards when negotiating the Charbidus (I can't spell--all greek to me) and Scilla of the office and dt san francisco four days a week.]
Oh good, it's always nice to use square brackets.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Award yourself a point for reach snack you pass up. When you hit a magic number, make a purchase you've been desiring. How much and how often are up to you. We can help cheer your point accumulations along. No deducting points for slipping though.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 pm

The problem being that...

I'm not sure what I want to buy. It's a good model,t hough, thank you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The problem being that...

Do you crave sweet or salty snacks?
Fufa

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The problem being that...

What reward would you find attractive? What is a non-food treat?
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Alas, I am a snack slut. Pretzels show off their sensual curves, chocolate beckons, peanuts "yoohoo" in their fertile, good time floozy manner, danishes promise so much viking pleasure... Probably sweet over salt, but I can jump back and forth pretty easily...
so, I can hardly promise myself books--I have more than I have room for, many unread.
cds, no, if I shop I shop all at once, convience.
clothing? um no.
I'm going go get a cot, so I don't think I can bribe myself with that...I have to have it for the burn, after all.
I don't have an itch to go out to a movie once a week...
stymied...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Okay, so rewards must take a different form. What brings you a bit of pleasure? Writing? Write about your snack wars. Share or not, but perhaps making the struggle concrete would help?

I should talk, I had a marvelous candy bar from Vermont today. Screw it, my period started. I'm not supposed to have periods at this age. Therefore I deserve a Lake Champlain Fudge-Nut Five Star Bar.
AntiM

Postby delle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Chocolate covered pretzels.

They have dark, milk or white........ all are awesome.
delle

Postby delle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Annnnnd...... they even have them in 100calorie bags. I can't remember the brand name because I don't have any left. I NEVER have any left. :oops:
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm really trying to get healthy snacking/eating habits going. I feel okay about the roasted trader joe's almonds in the small packs, even though it take me two. One problem of mine is "portion control" and those small (moopy, wasteful) bags help.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

My sweet tooth is satiated by a good cup of english black tea (with skim milk a teaspoon or two of sugar). My mum hooked me on it at age 10. I know exactly how much sugar in it, which is good.

I keep reading that you can reward yourself by abstaining all week, then giving yourself one weekend day you can have your absolute favourite snack. Don't know how well we could all keep to that though.

My simplest solution is to simply not buy the stuff, not let it in the house. I've gone months, even years without eating certain junk foods because I stopped buying it for so long it's no longer an attractive food to me. If they do end up in the house however...

Make them hard to get at! Not in the main pantry, but hidden in the back of a cupboard or on a high shelf. The less I see my snack foods, the less I think about them, and less often I go for them. Personal example: Lately I've been horrid at controlling my popcorn eating. The popcorn container was sitting on the counter right beside the popper, given it easy access so I was eating it everyday. I moved the container to the basement pantry, and I haven't eaten any since. The work that it would take to go get it has discouraged me.

I like to break my potato chips into smaller pieces, down to the size of a large coin. Then I make sure I eat them one or two at a time, not huge handfuls. It makes the little bowl last a lot longer. Never eat out of the big bag/container you bought the stuff in. In my house we have bowls smaller than cereal sized that I use for snacks: icecream, chips, pretzels etc. I also will repackage a snack food into those snack sized ziploc bags as soon as I buy it, and only allow myself to eat the bagged amount. I usually use that for the lunch I pack to work.

But, of course my absolute fail safe is to not buy the stuff in the first place. I'm on a shoestring budget so it's pretty easy. All I can think about is how that money can instead go to BM supplies or things I'm saving up for, and I stop myself.

:shock: This post ended up longer than I expected, I rambled a bit so I hope it's coherent.
Fufa

Postby haolegolucky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 pm

I discovered Zumba. Its surprisingly a bunch of fun.

Some of the moves annoy the crap out of me, but overall I really enjoy it. Its also nice being the only guy in a class of 40 women. :)
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Oldguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm

I went to Picnic Day in Davis. I had the pancake breakfast, saw the parade and walked around for a couple hours. I was gifted a Princess rose plant, and put popcorn ears in a shelling machine for popcorn seed kernals. I saw my first flash mob at noon at the student union. They were doing the Carlton white man's dance. I won a baseball cap and a shopping sack at two different wheels of fortune. It was a beautiful Spring day, fluffy white clouds in a deep blue sky, in the eighties.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion