ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby wh..sh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 am

*giggles*
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am

wh..sh wrote:*giggles*

Wow thats similar to my execise regimen - except mine is called PBRdio
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 am

Bought a pair of those funky vibram 5 toe workout shoes. Will let you all know how they do as soon as I get back home and can work out as I am in Houston right now.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 am

I tried on a pair of those finger shoes. Some of my toes were the right length, others were too short or too long. The REI guy said to heat the toes of the shoe and stretch the ones that are too short. Everyone is made different.

I love my mocassins for hiking. Got a good pair and I can forget that I am wearing anything.

I signed up with the mikoshi group at the SF Cherry Blossom Festival. That means I will be part of a team carrying a platform on our shoulders in the parade. The platform can have a Shinto shrine or a bunch of sake barrels.

So I am customizing my workout to prepare for what I expect to be doing.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm

So, if I avoid treats for an entire week, can I go to the Creme Brulee cart on Friday? Or is "Creme Brulee Cart" a non-starter under any circumstances?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby delle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Well I've joined a "gym". Sorta kinda.
Actually I joined Curves.

A woman I work with goes every SINGLE day at lunchtime. I was getting a bit jealous about how energized she was when she returned..... my having sat on my ass the entire hour-and-a-half we're alotted for lunch; groggy and cross-eyed and looking mournfully at the clock waiting to be sprung.

Since I've been going, I spend my afternoons sprinting about and more focused. Double win. (except for yesterday - even that couldn't save me from yesterday)

Great news was that during sign-up, when asked my weight, I'd mentioned "going on 130". When asked my highest weight, I'd answered "going on 130". She looked at me a bit funny and plopped me on the scale -- which read "122".

I've got delusions of grandeur all around, it seems.

That, and my friend Catherine needs a new bathroom scale!!!

Anyhow, I'm not there to lose weight, but rather to rediscover a muscle or two --- 30 seconds at a time.
The fact that you dance between each station was just a major bonus!

AND, I've got someone who goes every day without fail. I just wouldn't be bothered otherwise.

:D
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I have finally made gotten over that crazy chest cold and made it back to the gym. I am pretty sure I won't be able to lift anything tomorrow. Just to be safe, I washed my hair tonight to avoid the struggle tomorrow. It feels good to be back to doing something and not hacking up a lung. Sadly I am starting back at square one but hopefully I can get back to where I was quickly.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, if I avoid treats for an entire week, can I go to the Creme Brulee cart on Friday? Or is "Creme Brulee Cart" a non-starter under any circumstances?

From what I hear, it's best to allow yourself limited yummies (counting calories and keeping the portions small) rather than denying yourself all pleasures.

And it better be a damn good creme brulee!!!!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 am

WORK IT!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S AUGUST!!!

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 am

utter and total respect.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 am

I am very sore today. I sneezed and it made me winch. I just keep telling myself that if I keep working out, it will get easier.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am

SquirrelHead wrote:I am very sore today. I sneezed and it made me winch. I just keep telling myself that if I keep working out, it will get easier.

It will. :) And once you are not as sore anymore, you will probably be impressed with yourself on those occasions when you are sore.

Ibuprofen helps, provided you've no contraindications.
Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am

You didn't crack a rib coughing did you?
Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I think I just did.
gyre

Postby lucky420 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Ok wore the toe shoes for about 2 hours just puttering around the house. They are really quite comfortable and they make me kind of chuckle when I see them on my feet, just fuckin odd looking. But yeah, so far they are keepers.

Haven't done any exercise in them yet. I will jump rope some tomorrow and we'll see...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

I can recommend the ones with a bullwinkle head on the end.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Went digging behind my Burn gear (got playa all down my clothes, yay) and found my ancient rollerblades. The wheels are dull as heck, but I managed to get . . . whoops, 7.2 miles . . . out of 'em skating along the waterfront. To my great relief, the outing seems not to have aggravated my injury (in fact, it's a bit like wearing a cast). From the skating playlist yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Gotta browse online for some replacement wheels, because they just look (and feel) sad and slow compared to what they could be. Or maybe new skates altogether; that brake can't last forever.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Fufa » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 am

Hauled bundles of summer activity booklets all over town yesterday. About 300 bundles total. Pick them up off the pallet, place in car. Drive to location, load out the required number onto a tiny luggage cart, wheel in to deliver. So much heavy lifting (since I insisted on carrying 5 bundles at a time), that I had a cramped sore back this morning, but I got paid to work out! I do it again on Monday.

Hopefully makes up some for falling off the wagon a bit.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Thorormr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 am

For the first time since being sick I was able to get in a short, brisk ride up here on the level hard top. Bit more than two miles, not much, but also after working twelve hours last night and walking 13k steps while there.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:46 pm

I did 60 mins of "leslie's" vid, then washed the bathroom like crazy! THEN I worked in the yard. The routine exercising is nothing compared to the hard strength training of gardening and wall scrubbing.

Staying off sweetners (except one day/wk) is working. Muscle mass increasing, and I'm starting to see some weight loss, not just firming and getting smaller. The scales are a trickster. I now need to buy a new black bra, as the one I'd just recently bought is now too big. It's those little victories.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Fufa » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Feeling pretty depressed about my weight today. It's the highest it's ever been. I'm aiming to lose 20lbs over the summer, and the diet starts now.
Fufa

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 pm

You can do it, Fufa!

It has been a decent week.

Dance class Monday. Ran 4 miles yesterday. Rollerbladed 7 miles today. That's three workouts in a week, which I wish to be standard. 4 workouts/week is better when I want to be lean & mean (well, lean-ish), but is much harder to achieve. If I could alternate 3x/week, 4x/week, it would be rare & good. I can't remember the last time I was that crafty with my time, though.

I really shouldn't have run yesterday (bad for my foot, not smart!) but going to the gym or getting to a blading trail felt like such a production, and by contrast, the lure of the road and my shoes was absurdly seductive. However, I will have to be mindful about how I'm spending my time next week so that I can fit in a trip to the gym (instead of a run), & do the elliptical trainer, recumbent bike or rowing machine. I tried the rowing machine the other day for the first time in 10 years and I only felt it in my obliques & forearms. My legs are really @#$% strong, so maybe I should have cranked the resistance a bit more, but still . . . that can't be right . . . :|

I miss rowing a real boat. Packing a lunch and a book and rowing 20 or 30 minutes, and then stopping to read and eat and feed the ducks for some time, then rowing back. I should do that a few times this summer; I haven't done it in several years.
Savannah

Postby maryanimal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Fufa wrote:Feeling pretty depressed about my weight today. It's the highest it's ever been. I'm aiming to lose 20lbs over the summer, and the diet starts now.

I know how you feel Fufa. I'm aiming for a 25 lb. weight loss myself. I finally got off my fat behind and joined a gym today and worked out for an hour. I plan to do this every other day, no matter what. It felt so good to move my body and my muscles (ha! if that's what you want to call them). I'm trying to work on my flabs (abs to everyone else). My left knee is a hurtin' pup too.I wore my brace and it made exercising easier! And don't you hate the word "diet"? I went to the market today and bought some of the foods I truly love...veggie for stir fry, chicken and lean beef! I haven't fed myself like that in ages!

Please don't be depressed, just give yourself some "me me me" time! And we'll all be here for your journey! *hugs*
Last edited by maryanimal on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 pm

wore my funky toe shoes for working out this week. Work outs with KAIA included jumping rope, jogging, box jumping, etc. They felt pretty good and had no issues with my arches which I had when wearing regular work out shoes. I felt a little sore in my calves which i consider good. Not sure if that was from the toe shoes or the fact that I took 2 weeks off due to illness and work travel.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby maryanimal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 pm

What's KAIA? Unfortunately, I can't do any of those types of exercise, because of my knee...*sigh* But I like what I'm doing!! Recumbant biking is the hardest but it feels goooood!

C'mon ladies!! Lets work it out!! YAAAAY!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:12 pm

I can't remember the last time I saw you say YAAAAY! maryanimal! (I think your circulation is up?) :D

Congratulations on joining a gym.
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:23 pm

So, over the past few weeks, I noticed that on Friday afternoons there was a creme brulee cart near the BART elevator. Apart from the fact that I think that a creme brulee cart is a sign of of the end times, I was intrigued. So, I told myself that if I stayed away from snacks for a week, I could have a creme brulee. So, except for the morning I had three sample bites in the cafe and a handful of peanuts on Thursday just before dinner, I kept to it. The creme brulee was a big "meh". Sure it was calorific, but not transcendent. The irony (?) is that it was actually kind of easy. I'd make my usual turn to the slutty treats beckoning me from the counters and I'd say "creme brulee" to myself, and walk away.
So, now I need a better motivator than creme brulee. I mean it was more of a test than a thought that I was saving much, if anything, in calories. So, what do I like better than creme brulee? It needn't be food. In fact, it might be better if it weren't.
I'll have to think about it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:27 pm

I just thought it was time you say YAY again! And thank you!
maryanimal

Postby Fufa » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks MA. This past year was quite stressful school wise, and I really fall of the wagon when I'm bogged down with it all. Then I turn to comfort food. I'm waiting until my exams finish late next week to really put the effort in. All healthy food, and gym 5 times a week.

It is nice though, that hubby didn't notice my weight gain until I told him.
Fufa

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Fufa wrote:Thanks MA. This past year was quite stressful school wise, and I really fall of the wagon when I'm bogged down with it all. Then I turn to comfort food. I'm waiting until my exams finish late next week to really put the effort in. All healthy food, and gym 5 times a week.

It is nice though, that hubby didn't notice my weight gain until I told him.

Mr. Fufa, is a smart man........lucky as well.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion