All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

:)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lucky420 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:22 pm

geez fufa, you sound like a lil mountain goat. Hope you weren't wearing heels :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Fufa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 pm

lucky420 wrote:geez fufa, you sound like a lil mountain goat. Hope you weren't wearing heels :lol:

BAHAHAH no way! I haven't put a pair of those on in.... a year? Maybe. Running shoes of course! :wink:

I'll do it again when it warms up again. The damn snow came back on Sunday. Mother Nature is a bit bipolar here.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:03 pm

A park near me has a 1/2 mile running course that's all grass. I could run barefoot.

Fufa, you could use a pair of these:
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Fufa wrote:On Friday, the weather was so nice that I decided that instead of catching the train home directly from school, I would walk to the next stop. That involved scrambling down the muddy/snowy trails of the river valley, hiking to the nearest foot bridge, crossing the bridge, then climbing straight up a dirt trail on a steep (+30 degree incline), 60m high hill and strolling another block to the station entrance.

It felt so great. Nature is my therapy of choice.

It was a challenge, and meeting that sort of challenge is so exhilerating. Makes you pity those poor fools on teh train. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:A park near me has a 1/2 mile running course that's all grass. I could run barefoot.

Fufa, you could use a pair of these:

I'm actually looking at a pair of those! Or the merrell brand barefoot shoes that are a bit less conspicuous, cause they look like regular runners. Decisions, decisions. Does anyone around here own a pair of five fingers? Your thoughts are welcome.
Fufa

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Fufa wrote:I'm actually looking at a pair of those! Or the merrell brand barefoot shoes that are a bit less conspicuous, cause they look like regular runners. Decisions, decisions. Does anyone around here own a pair of five fingers? Your thoughts are welcome.

I thought Boromir had bought a pair recently, but I didn't find it in the last five pages of this thread. So was it some one else? Somewhere else? Both?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:43 pm

We looked at them for MyLarry, but he didn't like the low cut ankles. The fit is stretchy, he said a size above and below his normal size were still comfy. Cheapest we saw them was $40 on special sale at Big 5 Sports, around the holidays. Fila brand? Skeletoes I think.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 pm

I am totally wiped out.........
totally........
hard ass crazy work out.

goodnight
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Just did my six mile walk to the Post Office. For two measly letters. :lol:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Thorormr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Fufa wrote:I'm actually looking at a pair of those! Or the merrell brand barefoot shoes that are a bit less conspicuous, cause they look like regular runners. Decisions, decisions. Does anyone around here own a pair of five fingers? Your thoughts are welcome.

Kohls is currently running a nice sale on the Fila version. They're a lot stiffer than the Vibrams, but I like them as a step between to get my feet used to less.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Damn no Kohl's in Canada. I'll look around if its in any other stores around here. Never heard of that brand of barefoot shoes before though. All I've ever seen are five fingers, merrell, and new balance.
Fufa

Postby gyre » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Fufa wrote:Mother Nature is a bit bipolar here.

Is that some kind of joke?
gyre

Postby Fufa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:47 pm

gyre wrote:
Fufa wrote:Mother Nature is a bit bipolar here.

Is that some kind of joke?

Yup.

Cold..cold...cold...all the snow melts...warm beautiful sunny day....dump of snow...cold...all the snow melts.....warm day.....dump of snow and sub freezing temps again.

She teases us with hopes of spring. Someone must have angered her by switching off their snow tires, 'cause now that the past weekend's snow has melted, we're due for a foot of the white stuff by Thursday. :(
Fufa

Postby haolegolucky » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 am

I run in NB Minimum shoes. I love em! You gotta break yourself into them slowly, as you can injure yourself and they require an entirely new form of running. Started with walking dog at the park, and have progressed into running 5 miles in them with the lil' dog. Plus, no socks! Less things to wash!

The other advantage of them is that I do Olympic lifting, and would often do it barefoot. The lack of a serious rise in the heel is nice so you can direct all your force downwards without a spongy cushion under your heel. It makes my workouts easier.

I love my NBs!
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am

20 minutes on the arm bike last night. broke a sweat.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

theCryptofishist wrote:20 minutes on the arm bike last night. broke a sweat.

Great! Do you have a picture of this arm bike?

Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:There's a picture on this page...

Cool! Keep after it! :D

Elliot

Postby jella » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:46 am

I missed my Yoga class this week , first time in almost 2 months..I'm a little depressed about it...weird ??
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 pm

jella wrote:I missed my Yoga class this week , first time in almost 2 months..I'm a little depressed about it...weird ??

Not at all!

I wish I was still doing it. Yoga is the one exercise that ever gave me an amazing endorphin rush. I was sitting on the floor folded towards my feet and the instructor came up to me and pushed my back closer to the floor (I thought I was as deep in the pose as I could have been) . . . and some pathway in my legs opened up and it felt like a white light shot through me, and I had this burst of euphoria (and a rush of benevolence towards my teacher) and giggled against my will. It was like there had been a kinked garden hose in me, and she had unkinked the hose. I don't see it as a mystical experience, but can totally understand why others do. I have not been able to replicate the experience before or since . . . but I also stopped going to that particular gym after a while and fell out of the practice. I might try to find a class I like, although I do not enjoy the process of finding a good fit.

I am definitely depressed not to be a runner right now, because of my foot issue. Ah well.

My dance class is exciting. I have joined a troupe and committed to a couple of short, group performances. :shock:
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Savannah wrote:
jella wrote:I missed my Yoga class this week , first time in almost 2 months..I'm a little depressed about it...weird ??

Not at all!

I wish I was still doing it. Yoga is the one exercise that ever gave me an amazing endorphin rush. I was sitting on the floor folded towards my feet and the instructor came up to me and pushed my back closer to the floor (I thought I was as deep in the pose as I could have been) . . . and some pathway in my legs opened up and it felt like a white light shot through me, and I had this burst of euphoria (and a rush of benevolence towards my teacher) and giggled against my will. It was like there had been a kinked garden hose in me, and she had unkinked the hose. I don't see it as a mystical experience, but can totally understand why others do. I have not been able to replicate the experience before or since . . . but I also stopped going to that particular gym after a while and fell out of the practice. I might try to find a class I like, although I do not enjoy the process of finding a good fit.

I am definitely depressed not to be a runner right now, because of my foot issue. Ah well.

My dance class is exciting. I have joined a troupe and committed to a couple of short, group performances. :shock:

Plus there is a corollation between exercise and mood. Actually, I believe that's a total shuck, a piece of propaganda to make us do our exercise, but now that it's exercise or die, I'm trying to convince myself that the old wive's tale is true.

For some reason, it's not working...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby jella » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 pm

it's towuuuu towuuuu ! I
Fishy...you get your but out there and challange that hill again pronto !
Savannah..Is the performance at the burn if not I'd love to see a video :)

Thanks ladies..I'm going to try to crash the wed class and get my mojo up and running again :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Plus there is a corollation between exercise and mood. Actually, I believe that's a total shuck, a piece of propaganda to make us do our exercise, but now that it's exercise or die, I'm trying to convince myself that the old wive's tale is true.

Definitely true--keeping body fat down keeps estrogen down (fat fuels estrogen; estrogen is associated with depression).

For some reason, it's not working...

I had to stop trying to convince myself to looove exercise and just be grimly satisfied by it (and like the results). Like paying bills, I decided that I don't have to have a good attitude about it, as long as I do it. A lot of people don't love it. There is the illusion that one has to love it to do it. And a few who lie. And there are also people who have found their ideal exercise, and are lucky and do genuinely love. I'll put that (generously) at 20% of exercisers, which is pure conjecture. :)

I sort of separate myself into parent and child sometimes in my head, and the child says "I don't wanna!" and wails, and the parent laughs kindly and says "Yes, I know. But you are going to eat your vegetables/sleep/do this goddamned exercise." And that way I don't get too down on myself if I have a poor attitude or fall off the wagon. I don't have to hate myself anymore than I would dislike a child for its naughty instincts. I just have to wrangle, trick, cajole, persuade, reward . . .

I love my dance class, but I do not love the recumbent bike or the elliptical trainer; they are just adequate (though I am lucky to be able to do them if I cannot run).
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:22 pm

I've fallen off the exercise wagon this past week. Then again, that time of the month, although last month, nothing, then April Fools! Argh. Backaches R Us. Bad enough for pharmaceutical intervention. And the seroma pulling in front doesn't help. I'm mood swinging like a pendulum, and flaky as can be. Exercise would help, of course, but I'm being irrational.

So, that's my vent for the week.

Estrogen fed my breast cancer. Scary, that.
AntiM

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 pm

AntiM
I've fallen off the exercise wagon this past week. Then again, that time of the month, although last month, nothing, then April Fools! Argh. Backaches R Us. Bad enough for pharmaceutical intervention. And the seroma pulling in front doesn't help. I'm mood swinging like a pendulum, and flaky as can be. Exercise would help, of course, but I'm being irrational.

oh dear is Larry home or on the road. Hope you feel better I am just starting my lovely period too. Mood swings not to bad, I tend to get weepy at stupid commercials, ugh. Pain I will try and halt with mega doses of motrin (5 at a time min). I registered for sparkpeople but have been to lazy/busy to really get on the website yet...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:13 pm

He was home, now he's on he road. Went to San Jose, now headed to AZ. I will see him sat or sun.

My periods are stupid, I shouldn't even be having them anymore.

I've barely been on Sparkpeople, just enough to log in and earn a few basic points. Been skipping the trackers, which is a dangerous path. I'll be in a more motivated mood soon.
AntiM

Postby Fufa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am

Fufa

Postby maryanimal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 pm

I started taking HCG sublingual drops. And I'll be joining a gym next month. I really want to lose this 20+ pounds I'm carrying around. The drops give me some extra energy and curbs my appetite. I eat well, just not as much! I have a pedometer I wear everyday to see how much I walk. Walgreen's has a Walk with Walgreen's program and I joined it. Didn't cost a cent But at the end of the day I'm so tired. That was happening beforre the drops too.

So, yay!! I'm happy about getting in shape, the warmer weather ahead, and feeling healthier!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Thorormr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Down to 181 pounds, and holding steady for the past three days. I wouldn't recommend the (unchosen) method that resulted in the sudden drop in weight starting Thursday, but I'll take the silver lining.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion