ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:54 am

You are not the only person who has a pizza shop on this board. Although, Pizzamancer doesn't spend a lot of time here any more.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tatonka » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm

winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm down to 265.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby a figment » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

congrats Ygmir,
a figment

Postby tatonka » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:42 pm

Good work Ygmir :)

started doing squat thrusts like i did in HS , but added a pushup and when getting back up a jump. done 40 of them fri and 42 sunday. Very sore , but its a good sore :)

Decided to call my bathroom the Jim instead of the John , that way I can say I went to the Jim every morning ")

tatonka

Postby angryeunuch » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm

I found this one weird trick that works great!

Eat well and exercise. Serious though, one thing consistently proven to cut weight is tracking calories. Like Fossa pointed out in his fantastic post, weight loss all comes down to calorie deficit, and doing that without tracking is stabbing in the dark. I use the MyFitnessPal app for calories, the True Weight app for easy weight tracking and JEFIT for weightlifting. If anyone has a better app, please share!
I've done 3 months straight losing 1-2 lbs a week. It's easy to maintain and I don't feel like I'm "dieting". I've found I can fix my sweet tooth with a fruit smoothy. Costco has massive bags of frozen fruit (or organic fresh fruit if you're a rich goddamm hippie) and huge bags of spinach. It's amazing how much spinach you can mix in there without tasting it. You can also add protein powder if you're bulking.

Good luck peeps, can't wait to read your success stories and see your brand new abs on the playa!
angryeunuch

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 pm

angryeunuch wrote:I've done 3 months straight losing 1-2 lbs a week. It's easy to maintain and I don't feel like I'm "dieting". I've found I can fix my sweet tooth with a fruit smoothy. Costco has massive bags of frozen fruit (or organic fresh fruit if you're a rich goddamm hippie) and huge bags of spinach. It's amazing how much spinach you can mix in there without tasting it. You can also add protein powder if you're bulking.

Fruit smoothies may taste great and may seem more healthy, but you shouldn't think of fruit smoothies as any real part of "dieting" in the calorie sense. You wouldn't consider drinking cans of Coke dieting, right? In the end, however, you're drinking down about as many sugars and calories with a smoothie as you are with cans of Coke -- maybe even more.

A can of Coke Classic has about 95 calories, 24 grams of sugar.

Go down to Jamba Juice and get one of their "small"-sized all-fruit smoothies, ask them to blend whatever green mulch shit into it if it makes you feel better. BAM! (Emeril Lagasse style) You're drink like 210 calories of sugary goodness. That's like downing two cans of Coke Classic with some extra to go on.

Or maybe you think to blend your own. You head on over to CookingLight.com and check out their list of "Low-Calorie Smoothies". Only you also find out that "low-calories" also means less than 250 calories per 12-16oz serving -- another two cans of Coke. Their lowest-calorie drink is made with watermelon juice, mint, and some yoghurt, at 95 calories -- a can of Coke.

I even bought some fruit smoothie "superfood" drinks at Costco and later some Starbucks bottled Frappuccinos. Both have the calorie count on the front: 220/12oz for the former, 180/9.5oz for the latter. The ratios end up being just about the same. I could drink a beer (150 calories) for fewer calories than either.

Yeah, so calories. You've gotta have them anyway, why the problem with the above? I see those "low calorie" burger deals on commercials and think "man, I'm just getting less energy for my money." What the problem with a smoothie or Coke, or Frappuccino?

They're drinks.

Your body doesn't feel as full when you quaff your calories, and your mouth doesn't feel as nauseated when you drink, as opposed to eat, sugars. Can you imagine chewing down teaspoons of sugar for the amount of sugars in your drinks? Your Jamba Juice "Peace Perfection" has 42 grams of sugar for their smallest size, 210 calories. A teaspoon of sugar is 4 grams. Now imagine consuming ten (10) spoonfuls of sugar.

But a drink? Ten spoonfuls of sugar is easy to down in 10 minutes.

Do yourself a favor and eat those fruits and vegis rather than make them into a smoothie. Yeah, eat that food, don't drink it. It doesn't even have to be "healthy" food. Want some M&Ms? Pour a small amount into a cup and munch on them. Don't bring the whole bag, or you'll just keep eating it. Leave the bag on the counter.

Or hell, if you're feeling like something "healthy" go grab some baby carrots, or some Persian cucumbers, or some celery sticks. Too bland and healthy? Make some Japanese ginger dressing for dipping sauce. Better put away the bag too, you'll eat the whole thing. At least you're eating though. Avoid the drink.

All of these snacks will ruin your appetite the way your mom told you it would. Y'know all those thin people who say they can eat anything they want? They do. They just eat some as snacks all the time. In the end, they're running a calorie deficit even though they claim differently. Why do I know? I'm one of those people. I counted the calories and did the math. I'm drinking one of those "superfood" smoothies right now because it just tastes good, but I'm also just eating some sandwich for dinner and that's about it. It just doesn't add up, and yet I don't feel hungry. I weigh less than I did when I graduated high school, and that wasn't much either. But still, I like a good Japanese ginger dressing when I feel up to making it. There's the metabolism too, but it's mostly just not feeling the need to eat a ton of food and still feeling alright. Ruin that appetite with snacks.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Your body doesn't feel as full when you quaff your calories, and your mouth doesn't feel as nauseated when you drink, as opposed to eat, sugars.

I've read this, too. To your brain, no liquid will be as satisfying as very similar nutrients that you have to chew.

For this reason I try to just eat fruit, and forgo fancy bottled juice drinks unless 1) I'm not that hungry but need something 2) the juice variety has significant added protein (and a lot of fruit . . . as some brands have more than others).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

While calorie deficit is key I tried to stress the importance of regaining lean skeletal muscle to raise your metabolism. There's a reason dieting alone doesn't produce lasting results. You've (probably) been losing about 1% of your skeletal muscle a year since you were 25 which means your metabolism has fallen below your most basic, baseline eating habits. You will feel hungry for food you don't need, constantly, because your body can't fathom needing so few calories. This is because we were never meant to live such sedentary lives which would allow our muscles to waste away the way that they do.

Rebuilding baseline amounts of skeletal muscle is the single easiest way to lose weight and as an added benefit it will enhance your quality of life, reduce the chances of injury during your activities of daily life, and will extend your life.

Seriously, lean body mass has been consistently shown to be one of the strongest predictors of expected life span. A read meat eating, whiskey drinking, city dweller with 170 lbs of lean body mass will probably outlive a 140 lb sedentary vegetarian who lives in the mountains and does yoga every morning at dawn, all other things being equal.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby Hope-a-Lope » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Love this discussion!

I'm happy to report that I've been seeing a trainer and hitting the gym 4-5/week since last May, and have lost 36lbs so far. Lots of lifting, 15-30min of cardio each gym trip, and soon it'll be biking season in NYC (I'm not one of those lunatics cycling through snow). I'm excited to be a smaller (and maybe cooler?) burner come August, and I'd love to lose another 20lb before then.

Fossa - any professional advice regarding plateaus? 36lb in 11 months is less than 1lb/week, and I'd LOOOOOVE for this to go faster (wouldn't we all?). More intense cardio? Fewer carbs, even though I'm cutting as many as I can stand? Maybe interval cardio is the answer.

Thank you so much for your information!
Hope-a-Lope

Camp Name: Pharos

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 pm

High Intensity Interval Training (cardio) is probably the biggest missing piece of the puzzle along with nutrient timing. Best time to eat carbs is right after some amount of exercise, especially a real workout. Worst time is after a long period of not eating anything, first thing in the morning being the most common example. Don't skip meals, do snack on things that are high in protein and complex carbs (berries are a pretty easy go-to) to avoid going more than 4 hours without eating something, and do get plenty of water.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby BBadger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 am

Feel terrible and sore? Suffering cramps? Can't sleep well? Need to reduce your stress?

Don't forget your magnesium.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby tatonka » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 am

tatonka

Postby Elliot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 am

:D
My favorite author.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Fundraiser now live: http://igg.me/at/elliotsbicycleservice/x/11087604

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 am

I've lost 15 pounds in 7 months. The secret seems to be breaking up with one's girlfriend and moving from Atlanta to San Francisco.... I haven't done anything intentional to lose weight... Down to 210.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby aserendipity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 am

Perhaps you are discovering the essence of who you are
sorry you endured a relationship end to achieve it

it is interesting how body integrates with heartfelt

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby BBadger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:00 pm

He's probably just living further away from the epicenter of obesity in the US.

BBadger

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks, aserendipity :), certainly has been a source of self discovery. Though I think the weight loss has more to do with walking more than 200 feet per day (Home->Car, Car->Work, Work->Car, Car->Home), and all the freaking kale they serve out here :).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Elliot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Just back from swimming. Feels good -- must do good.

Elliot

Postby aserendipity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:07 pm

yes the kale obsession eludes me
but long ago we made a portugese soup with kale and linguica
now I hide it in smoothies

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby BeeWeeDee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 am

Once I addressed my alcohol intake the pounds disappeared (50 lbs).

In my case I had become dependent on it and it started to consume me. And not in a good way. I was astonished at how many empty calories I consumed with no self control.

Just thought I'd throw that in and the fact that two sober Burning Man experiences have truly been a gift.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 am

Yes, it's about self control. Munchies especially.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... s-20076148
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 am

IT IS WALT DISNEY’S FAULT

(Caution; anecdote ahead.)

When I was a child, my brother and I often ate by ourselves, largely because our mother worked odd hours. And we developed a habit of reading comic books – many of which were Donald Duck and other Disney products – while eating. After all, what else can you do with food in your mouth?! We had a big shelf of comics right next to the kitchen table.
This way, I probably came to associate food with reading.

Today, I seem to still associate food with reading. If I have lunch by myself in a restaurant, I better have the newspaper with me, or I don’t know what to do with my eyes while chewing.

Now…. I happen to enjoy reading for a couple hours in the evening, and… dagg nabbit! – I find myself going to the kitchen for more food every page or so.

So I suspect it is Walt Disney’s fault that I have these extra 20 pounds that are so difficult to get rid of.

Elliot

Postby aserendipity » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Love you dear Elliott

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby tatonka » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 pm

[media]

tatonka

Postby Elliot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm

:D
Swimming report.

I have been swimming about once a week, and I am convinced it does me good.

Because of my “moderately severe” neck joints and lower back, I swim only on my back, with my arms below the water – swimming like a fish, except I’m upside-down.
This allows me to maintain a forward pelvic-rotation and sucked-in stomach the whole time.
In the water I have to be careful not to toss myself into any movement that bends my lower back the wrong way. Naturally, I keep wanting to swim face-forward, but that’s a big no-no for me.
This is a very leisurely form of swimming, but after 45 minutes my arms and shoulders seem to have had a good little workout. And when I leave my back feels wonderful.

Bottom line: Recommended.

Elliot

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Elliot, how wonderful that it's doing great things for your back. :D

For my part: I worked out three times this week and hope to run tomorrow. If I do, that'll be the best I've done in months.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Elliot » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 am

I think this back-swimming helps my shoulder posture also.

Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:22 am

I have two kids and a grand kid around the house to tell me to stand up, chest out and so on..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Swim report.
Today I watched one of my fellow swimmers do such an elegant backstroke that I decided to try it. And I found I can do it without bothering my neck or back. This way I discovered some muscles I had not used in a while, so that's more good news. The backstroke is also a more vigorous activity for the heart and lungs, compared with my usual "flipper" back-swimming.

Elliot

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion