DAMN CAT

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: DAMN CAT

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm

misfit wrote:my damn cat fred died just before the burn, and now am left with a few doses of advantage for 10+ lbs felines. fred always said, "if anything happens to me, please donate my advantage to the needy.". so if you have a 10+ pound cat, and are in need of advantage,,, drop me an e-mail and i'll get it out to you...
miss you fred.
misfitboo@gmail.com

Sorry about that, Misfit. Surely there's a shelter nearby that can use the meds. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby International Incident » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Damn cat has been a right little devil since I got back last week.

Will not let me out of his sight when I am in house. Follows me into the bathroom, waits while I am having a shower, stands on me as soon as I sit down, wakes me up 3 times a night "just checking" I am still alive.

He is obsessed with my ipad. I can't use it while being on the couch.

But it is cute. In a way.

I will be going back to "controlled meowing" as of tonight to try and break the habit that the cat sitter let him get into of being allwed to go outside at 4am every morning.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby hookahdude » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Damn cat is in solitary for a little. Indoor cat apparently spontaneous sprouted fleas. He has been treated, but he is isolated while I poison the rest of the house.
damncat by happilymarri3d,

Damn cat is now lounging in my fucking Hookah Room sleeping on my Big Comfy Wingback chair or curled up on Hookah Table with the big furry snuffelupagus hookah... Image
fuzzyhoses by happilymarri3d

I am working my butt off and the damn cat gets to enjoy my Hookah room? What the hell...

Damn cat..
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Skip to 1:10 thats my fat cat being used as a prop and yes that is me lol

OR

SKip to 1:23
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Little Gray Shit is piddling tiny amounts frequently since we got back. Researched this and turns out there's a crapload of possible causes. Damncat is getting expensive. She needs to kill more voles to make up for it.
Lumux is still all pissed off because for 2 weeks he had a 24 hour buffet of both wet and dry food, now he's back on a diet. Damncat gained 2 lbs while we were at ttitd. Fat bastard.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Damn cat and I went outside to rake. He run passed me a couple of times.. Sot up and down some trees.. Then I notice he was not near me.. He didn't come when I called.. Didn't see him in the yard.. Some times he go's in and uses his box but comes out right away.. So I went in the house and called.. I heard a little meow.. He had killed a squirrel and put it next to his food station.. I don't want him to kill but that's what cats are good at.. Squirrels are rodents.. So I had to tell him he was a good kitty guy and he did good..

He beat hell out of his practice mice them puts them by the food station,, I;ll give him a treat for his efforts.. So now he puts the practice mice near the door in hopes I have some outside time for him..

Couple a weeks ago cat push the panel next to the AC aside.. He went out and brought a fat mouse in.. He gave it up to me before he killed it..

Damn Cat's name is Russ-T-Nails.. aka Rusty Fur and comes running when I call " Wheres my kitty boy""
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:34 am

Hookahdude, fleas usually start in the yard and indoor cats are rarely the cause.

Cut the yard short, rake and clean it very well and then spray it.
gyre

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 am

My damn cat thinks he's a rabbit!
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:04 am

Shinobi barfed on the one corner of the couch that he had missed previously. I guess it's time to haul the whole thing in for a dry-clean.
Ugly Dougly

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 am

Damncat just spent the last 3 days in the house being sick as a dog (so to speak) from the rabies vaccination. So this morning, she shows how healthy and ready for action she is by barfing tapeworms on the carpet.
Damncat.
robbidobbs

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 am

Damn old lady house cat has been chewing at her butt.. Pisses her off if I take a warm wash cloth to her.. Nothing there.. If I leave the half bath door open she runs in there and shits on the floor.. (It's some kind of a statement I don't understand) Anyway I left the door open and got a stool sample.. The vet is checking it now..
unjonharley

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:44 am

Damncat can't get tapeworm meds from vet until she barfs again - because she thinks it's too soon for the little shit to get them again. WTF? over. So today I let her out, hopefully she'll barf again soon so I can show vet SEE, SEE! TAPE WORMS. I'M NOT STOOPID YOU KNOW!
robbidobbs

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 am

robbidobbs wrote:Damncat can't get tapeworm meds from vet until she barfs again - because she thinks it's too soon for the little shit to get them again. WTF? over. So today I let her out, hopefully she'll barf again soon so I can show vet SEE, SEE! TAPE WORMS. I'M NOT STOOPID YOU KNOW!

have you tried home remedies for them? Garlic and such?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MOOP_Czar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:48 am

ygmir wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:Damncat can't get tapeworm meds from vet until she barfs again - because she thinks it's too soon for the little shit to get them again. WTF? over. So today I let her out, hopefully she'll barf again soon so I can show vet SEE, SEE! TAPE WORMS. I'M NOT STOOPID YOU KNOW!

have you tried home remedies for them? Garlic and such?

My damn cat doesnt like the garlic Igive him. He is partial to a nice alfredo sauce
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 pm

gyre

Postby MOOP_Czar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 pm

gyre wrote:Image

Awww.. How cute a kitty gulag!
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:33 pm

You call that a gulag? Where's the canal they're digging? huh?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Cute Kitty

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:29 pm

gyre

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:39 am

My cat likes to chew on stuff. Like power cables, computer cables, etc... Yes, it is kind of annoying, but something I can live with.

On Friday night, I was lying on the couch and I took my glasses off for a minute and set them on my chest. When I looked down, the little bugger was chewing on the lenses.

Now I have cool looking patterns etched into my right lens.

I love him, but ooh boy, he tests me at times.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 am

Damn cat went up the chimney when I brought him to the new house.
It was around Halloween, and I reckon he wanted to be a black cat.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Damn cat got me on the palm of my left hand, the back of my right hand and my right forearm but considering the number of transfers involved in trapping, transfering from traps to carriers and then cages with six ferals I'll take it. The gloves took a couple of nibbles but no blood.

Our well meaning but misguided neighbor has taken to feeding a slew of strays and they've more or less colonized my backyard and the adjoining recharge basin.

So far we've captured a recent mama, her 4 kits and another kitten that was abandoned by her mom, had them spayed/neutered and my daughter is now trying to foster them with the hopes of adopting them out to good homes if we can domesticate them.

Thanks to my daughter the two in the first picture can now be handled (but are not quite ready to be exposed to sic pup and his three sister cats... although I'm not sure anyone ever is). The other three were altered today and are sleeping it off, sort of.

We've got 3 toms and the mother that rejected the kitten left to go.

The first picture is a couple of days old, they have now abandoned snuggling into the litter box and seem content with the bed provided. Baby steps.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Little Gray Shit just got in a tussle with a large manx. Boy howdy she's pissed. Smells funny too. It took me a half hour to get her out from under the beer fridge, bribing w wet fud, little pets while she growled and chewed. Got her in though after she finished the bowl.
Beer time.
robbidobbs

UPPITIEST DAMN CAT EVER

Postby gyre » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I have an interesting case.
The house I moved into has a long history and someone left a cat here long ago.
He sort of became a neighborhood cat.
The next door neighbor has pretty much adopted him.

He still thinks he owns this house too though.
He is a yellow cat and a little skittish, but at the same time the most uppity damn cat ever.

The other day he thought I was ignoring him and bit me on the leg.

Now that he knows me, he's very talky too.

If I get up now, he takes my chair.

He went off to mouse once.
When I went to check on him, he had nested on the bed.

He will growl and grouse at any provocation, but doesn't seem dangerous now that he knows me.

Never a dull moment with this cat.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Shampooed the soot out of the damn cat.
Oh, he, wailed and caterwauled like the world was coming to an end, but when we finally got him washed and dried, he was such a friendly, purring (and dare I say) grateful clean animal.
Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 am

I learned there are ways to make a cat comfortable while washing them.

They are all about survival.
Make them feel secure and they sometimes enjoy it.

Ease them into water at the right temperature etc.
They take their cues from you.

I had one cat I could vacuum.
He came to see that as affection.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 am

Well, he's gotten used to me brushing him almost every night. He even demands it.
But cats are mostly creatures of habit. Get them in a routine and they're almost hassle free.
Ugly Dougly

Postby unjonharley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I have a five horse cat

nag nag nag nag nag
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Two things -

Why does this remind me of working on the playa?

And
Now I think I have to go to a damn cat show!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sport ... odayspaper

Photo 3 is quite good.

It is a sport in which the contestants sometimes lie down in the middle of the field, unmotivated and bemused.

Feline agility competitions, in which cats run through a miniature obstacle course full of hurdles and tunnels, have become fixtures on the cat show scene. Modeled after canine agility competitions, the tournaments feature a ring in which cat owners — some of whom have trained their pets from kittenhood — brandish a feather or sparkly wand to try to coax a cat to climb stairs, weave around poles and leap through hoops in as little time as possible.

Some cats tear through the course in seconds. Others make it clear to the eager onlookers that they could not care less.

“You have to get the cat to focus on the toy,” said Anthony Hutcherson, who raises Bengal cats in Port Tobacco, Md., and whose oldest cat, Justin, has run the course in nine seconds. “Cats will pretty much chase a feather on a string anywhere.”

This weekend the two major organizations for cat lovers — the International Cat Association and the Cat Fanciers’ Association — are holding their annual cat shows, one in New York City and the other in Indianapolis. At both events, any cat registered at the show can partake in the agility event while the pedigreed cats are being judged.

Most people send their cats into the ring cold, where they often get spooked by the crowds and unfamiliar setting. But others train their cats — usually with a regimen of kibbles, praise and neck rubs — and find that they will do tricks, albeit on their own terms.

“They have to do all 10 obstacles, in order, counterclockwise, with no mistakes,” said Jill Archibald, agility coordinator for the Cat Fanciers’ Association, who will be the ringmaster in Indianapolis.

Archibald, a retired physical education teacher from Freehold Township, N.J., has posted a series of online videos about how to train your cat. She also has built her own 20-foot-by-30-foot agility ring, which she drives from one cat show to the next. She made the obstacles herself, including jumps and hoops, because the only ones sold commercially are meant for dogs, and are too large.

About 30 percent of the cats finish the course in the allotted four and a half minutes, said Russell E. Reimer, a ringmaster in Mesa, Ariz. “Most of them have a hard time with the weave poles,” he said. “The tunnels, the steps, the hurdles are no problem.”

Under the Cat Fanciers’ Association’s rules, which differ from those of the International Cat Association, a cat is awarded 15 points for each obstacle it navigates successfully, Reimer said.

But is it the cat’s own work ethic or its training regimen — nature or nurture — that makes an agility champion?

“I think it’s more the personality of the cat,” said Reimer, who breeds Burmese. “There are some Maine Coons that won’t do anything in there, and there are others that’ll tear the course to shreds. The same with the Abyssinians.”

He once had an Abyssinian kitten named Twink that was a real natural. “All you had to do was wave a wand at her to get her started, and she would stop at the weave poles to wait for me to catch up,” Reimer recalled. “The fastest time for Twink was seven seconds — she was that fast.”

Feline agility got started about a decade ago when two couples who met on the cat show circuit went out to dinner and started talking about the tricks their cats did. They modified some dog agility obstacles and showed them to their cats; from there, a group called International Cat Agility Tournaments — or ICAT — was born.

“When we first started it, everybody said, ‘Train a cat? Impossible!’ ” said Shirley Piper, one of the four founding members.

She and her partner, Kathy Krysta, live in Riverside, Calif., with their 20 cats, which they train regularly, using toys and a system of taps. Some of their cats are so well trained that they will run an agility course on their own, with no feathers or other incentives.

“The spectators don’t care about records and organized running,” said Piper, who will serve as ringmaster at the Meet the Breeds show at the Javits Center in New York this weekend. “They just want to see a cat perform by itself.”

As best anyone can remember, agility competitions started popping up at cat shows around 2004, and scores have been kept sporadically. Occasionally there is some prize money, but more often a ribbon or small trophy is given.

Twyla Mooner, a Bengal from Reston, Va., is considered one of the greatest agility champions and will compete in Indianapolis this weekend. “She is all about speed,” said her owner, Lisa Maria Padilla. “There is not a whole lot of finesse and style, but she burns through the course, and she is good for about two runs a day.”

Most owners are not so lucky. Cat agility videos on YouTube show more bloopers than triumphs.

“There are people there shaking a feather for what seems like an eternity, and the cat just looks at the person and says, ‘I don’t think so,’ ” said Hutcherson, the breeder in Maryland.

Cat agility has not caught on quite as rapidly as its founders had hoped — and not, they insist, because it so often results in cat futility. The main problem is financial: most cat shows barely break even, and it is more lucrative to lease space in the show hall to vendors than to install an agility ring.

Vickie Shields, one of the founders of ICAT, is hoping to invigorate the sport. She and her partner, Adriana Kajon, experiment with new obstacles in their living room in Albuquerque, where their cats get up every morning and sit expectantly by the drawer where the hoops are kept.

“We think of new things — ball pits, a tiny inflatable swimming pool,” Shields said.

The latter was a flop. “We tried to get the cats to jump over it, but they would run up to it and stop or take a drink,” she said.

Veterinarians are in favor of this kind of play. “I think we let cats’ brains rot, and I think it’s really sad,” said Cynthia M. Otto, an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine.

She herself has trained her cat to ride a skateboard, and her dog to push it. “If you start doing this, it really changes your relationship with your animal and enhances your bond,” Otto said.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Feline agility? HA! That's not in question; if the damn cat wants it, she will find a way to get there.
It's more of an obedience competition, and good luck with that. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 am

It's just got to be hysterical to watch.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion