Black Rock Ric is an idiot.

All things outside of Burning Man.

Black Rock Ric is an idiot.

Postby calsur » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:20 am

I have work as a civil engineer/ surveyor in California for the past 15 years. And the worst people you have to deal with in regard to interpreting zoning laws are Planners.

They tell you that you can not have a 4 foot white picket fence, it must be a maximum of 3 feet, 6 inches and you have to use a color approved by the Architectural committee. No shit, City of Laguna Beach, it went to court.

There was a sign posted at the planning counter in the City of Laguna Hills, "Arguing with a Planner is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a while you realize you have been reduced to the pigs level and the pig is enjoying it."

That is exactly what Black Rock Ric has done here. He never answers a question. When losing an argument, change the subject and talk faster. Then throw out the fact someone may profit from BM. Ignore this asshole. He has nothing to say except someone is making a profit.

So some straight questions for Black Rock Ric.

What was the dust like raised by Burning Man compared to the white out conditions I have seen in the photos posted here?

Are you stupid enough to think that the Eplaya just magically appears and nobody is paying for those pesky things like servers, electrical bills, office space and support staff? Or the BLM permits and Porta Potties on the real Playa?

You are just a NIMBY with less reason than anyone in the world.
calsur

Postby Zephryus » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:46 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your flamethrowers....
Zephryus

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:07 am

Wait a minute, have'nt we seen this before? :lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

d

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:49 am

Calsur,you seem like a sweet and likeable guy. I once knew a girl who was engaged to an engineering student. She was at a party with he and his friends once, she looked around and thought these are the kind of people I am going to spend the rest of my life with? So, she dumped him and took up with me, a hippie in the hills (30 years ago)

What was the dust like raised by Burning Man compared to the white out conditions I have seen in the photos posted here?

You like data, here is data. The playa in its natural state is surfaced with the glazed cracked silt surface you have probably seen. When the wind blows the finer particles that can be picked up are.. Some heavier particles are bounced along the ground in a process known as saltation.. The dust storms are indeed white.. as the fine particles are largely gypsum. As I am sure you know 90 percent of the nation's Gypsum comes from Empire.

Over the last 10 years hummocks have begun to grow on the playa. Hummocks which did not exist prior to BM.

During BM the glazed surface of the playa is destroyed. After BM the site is harrowed, essentially plowed, this turns up the heavier clays which lie below the surface. This harrowed surface is left to the mercy of the wind. This is not supposition. You can drive out there in October and see it. The BM site looks like a farmers field ready for planting.

When the wind kicks up, the silts of the playa are not locked into place by the glazed surface but are free to be moved by the wind. A typical dust storm on the playa has a cafe' a lait, color, the dust from the site is mocha colored. An assumption can be made, (I am making it), that the hummocks are formed of material removed from the BM site. Taking that assumption to its logical conclusion. The BM site will eventually be a depression.

Calsur,, please do not operate under the assumption that your knowledge and IQ is higher than others, like me or Genghiz who you soundly bashed.. He, I have found thinks deeply... and reasons quite well.

You are just a NIMBY with less reason than anyone in the world. Here you are wron. Extremism is no vice in defense of the Earth.

Postby Silver » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:42 am

Extremism is no vice in defense of the Earth.

This from a person who claims to ignore game management laws?

BLM tells us where we can set up, I have heard multilple complaints that we are always in the same spot. Maybe you should inform them of the potential depression problem.

I am not really disagreeing with you on the heavier particals being moved, on the other hand, what real harm is being done? Those hummocks will eventually be beaten down and disappear. As far as I can tell no one has shown any proof of habitat distruction. If the hummocks make offroaders slow down, well thats a good thing is it not?

If you are really concerned about the Earth, or at least your part of it, I've got a real good one for you, current projections show a population of 450 million in the US by 2050. All those extra folks 'getting away from it all'; there will be very little of the out country that does not look like Yosimite in the summer. Of course, given our ages we'll probably be dead by then.
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.
Silver

Postby Badger » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:02 pm

Am wondering when this topic will get the lock.

I'm wholly in agreement with the sentiment expressed in the thread title. However, at the end of the day this represents a personal attack on one of the members of the e-playa and shouldn't be allowed to stand.

It ain't cool.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby admin » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:24 pm

Right now.

This thread is in violation of the TOS and Community Guidelines and has been frozen.

Personal attacks are not welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion