Help Find Stolen License Plate RD TRIPN

All things outside of Burning Man.

Help Find Stolen License Plate RD TRIPN

Postby frogprincess » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:08 pm

I am calling on SF-Oakland-Berkeley CA burners to help find my license plates. They are CA, tahoe personalized plates: RD TRIPN. Tags Nov. 2004

I sold my car about a month ago and being the friendly soul I am, I let the guy drive home with my plates so that he would not get a ticket while it was parked overnight.

As it turns out, he gave me a fake address and maybe a fake name. All I have is a 415 cell phone number and he won't return my calls.

I have heard about people buying cheap cars only for the current registration.

The police and DMV won't help me. They say the plates are good as gone, but they won't reprint them.

I got a repsonse from a craigslist posting that said they saw the plates driving in San Francisco in the first week of March.

If anyone has seen them or sees them please let me know. They were on a white 1990 Toyota 4Runner, but they could be on any car now I suppose. The guy's name was Lou Marks of San Francisco, but who knows...I suspect he lives in Oakland or Berkeley due to the time it took him to get to my house.

Thanks y'all

fp
frogprincess

Postby Rob the Wop » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:43 pm

Sooooo- if the guy did a hit and run- the cops would show up at whose house?

There is such thing as being friendly, and another thing as putting yourself in a really bad position. Hope you find your plates, in the meantime don't let anyone borrow a gun to go plinkin' unless you've known them for years. Same goes for anything else registered in your name.

I'm surprised the cops were so nice about it. You just informed the cops that you were aiding and abetting the crime of driving without a registration. And if the car was stolen, it might even be worse. Hate to kick someone when they are down, but this goes under the heading of a bad move.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

?

Postby ronski » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:14 pm

<I let the guy drive home with my plates>

Huh?

Quick stupid question... every time I've ever bought/sold a vehicle the plates went with it, whether the tabs were expired or not. Getting the registration changed is the buyer's responsibility-- you cover your behind by sending in the title change of ownership form-- but I thought the plates stay the same.

Is this a personalized license plate thing, or a California thing?
ronski

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Oops. My bad. I misread the post. I thought you gave your plates off your current car to someone. You just let him drive home with the plates that currently resided on the car you sold him.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

License plate thing

Postby frogprincess » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:52 pm

With personalized plates, you normally keep them and send the buyer off with no plates at all. I've had the plates for 15 years and sold several cars doing exactly that. This guy just charmed the pants off me and had a point, if he parked the car on the street he'd get a ticket most likely. I felt uneasy about it, but it seemed reasonable. But I have learned an unfortunate lesson: TRUST NO ONE! The best thing in the world is for him to commit some crime with the plates, then police could bust him and I'd have the plates back as they always stay in my name. But if he stays cool and never reregisters the car he's driving free, without insurance even, til november.
frogprincess

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:24 pm

If the car was parked on the street without plates the powers that be would first run the VIN to see if the car was stolen and/or currently registered. The personalized plate would show up and the fact that the car had current reg would also show up. If you sent in the notice of transfer that also would show up. The vehicle would have to be out of reg for a year (if I remember correctly) before it is towed for registration violations.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby technopatra » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:03 pm

Dustdevil wrote: The vehicle would have to be out of reg for a year (if I remember correctly) before it is towed for registration violations.

In SF, the Dept of Parking and Traffic is so aggressive that they will ticket, and sometimes tow, anyone who's registration is expired, no matter how much or little time has passed.
technopatra

Postby precipitate » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:14 pm

You've got 10 days after you buy a car from a private party to register it.
I'd assume that any ticket you received in the meantime for having no
plates (and having no plates is a ticketable offense in CA) could be fought
without much difficulty.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Found Plates!

Postby frogprincess » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:15 pm

Thanks everyone for their input....alas the plates are on route back to me! Seems the sheister who bought my car, sold it to someone else who tried to register it and the DMV confiscated the plates. Of course, the government at its best, cannot reunite me with THOSE plates, but is happy to take my money to reprint them, now that they know the originals are off the road.

So, now if you see RD TRIPN on the road or on the playa, say hi to me, the smiling road sister!
frogprincess

Return to Open Discussion