Boycott England!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Boycott England!

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:09 am

England is not willing to give back the portions of Parthenon Frieze know as the Elgin Marbles. Please join a internation movement to give back to the people which has given us the foundations of modern democracy, the arts (science), the Olympics and things we associate as western civilization!

Please visit-

http://www.uk.digiserve.com/mentor/marbles/

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:36 pm

Um, this is some off topic shit.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby stuart » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:30 pm

while I am sypathetic I gotta ask, have you ever been to Greece? Lovely country but they just don't take as good a care of their artifacts as the brits do.
stuart

A burning issue never the less!

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:05 pm

Badger wrote:Um, this is some off topic shit.

This is true Badger, but more relevant then the senseless "Stop BM!"

Stuart, The greatest destruction and theft of Greece's antiquity came from those outside Greece starting from the Holy Islamic Turks invasion to the Holy Crusaders right to the wealthy private collectors of the 18th and 20th centuries to the un-holy WWI & II and every so call Empires of the last 2500 years! Modern Greece has been slowly restoring its historical sites with what little cash they have.

The original frieze will be placed in a controlled protected environment and a duplicate placed on the Parthenon. England will get to display parts of it on loan including many other artifacts never seen outside Greece.

Should we steal the pyramids because they too were neglected for three millenniums and several empires?

I’m sure the brits tried that too, but it’s a lot harder to do so when they weight tons so they took the mummies, gold, gems and statues instead! We here in the states stole the remains of America’s indigenous tribes and are finally giving back the dead as well as many of the artifacts taken from them because it’s the right thing to do.

Its been only recent that many people realize that the myths of the Greeks isn’t just a myth, but a religion practiced underground in secret societies because they were persecuted. The frieze is much like our “Last Supper” by Leonardo. Would the Italians have a right to it if the US took it to America claiming it was in danger from Nazi bombs? Elgin didn’t get permission to remove them, nor were they sold to him. And if I bought something that was stolen goods like England bought them from Elgin, I do no have the right to keep then from their rightful owner- at least that’s the law in our country!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby juanicoheal » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:29 pm

Looks like Elgin is going to lose his marbles.

But really;
Are the Greek people going to go after everyone that stole from their ancients?
Is it not true that many who are now England were once Roman and in turn Greece?
Who are the true brood of the Olympians?
For we must agree that in the 'western' civilization that the mongrels have far outnumbered the pedigree. So much that I can lay as much claim as any other to be decended from the Dionysian revellers. I am drawn to the theatre as if a decendant of Thespus himself.

Enough with the Philosophical crap; I agree that the proper place to see Grecian artifacts is in Greece, and Egyptian artifacts in Egypt. Will I ever get to either - who knows? But, I saw the Ramses II exhibit in Vancouver at Expo86!
juanicoheal

Postby technopatra » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:03 pm

juanicoheal wrote:Enough with the Philosophical crap; I agree that the proper place to see Grecian artifacts is in Greece, and Egyptian artifacts in Egypt. Will I ever get to either - who knows? But, I saw the Ramses II exhibit in Vancouver at Expo86!

Me too! Definitely had a major influence on my 14-yr old brain, peaking my first interest in Egypt.

The issue I have with some museum pieces is the same I have with zoos - I know that my young mind was opened by having the chance to experience animals and artifacts out of their natural habitats.

But does anyone have the right to take these without asking? With animlas there is the greater risk of harming them, and with artifacts there is this argument over custodianship.

And does possession over time really constitute ownership? The British Museum has done a remarkable job of preserving artifacts from around the world, and of introducing them to other people around the world. But do they have the right keep doing so just because they have been?

I've no answers, only more questions.
technopatra

Postby depros » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:55 pm

There really isn't that much I can do to boycott England. Don't see myself going there anytime soon and what British products that reach America could I possibly boycott? Tea? Don't drink it. Boring ass food? No. Bad teeth? Don't think so. I like their parliamentary system a little, that's about it.
depros

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:51 pm

scones, as my campmate moses has pointed out on innumerable occasions, are the last bastion of british imperialism. in 2001, we were fortunate to hear a rousing speech by a member of the buttery corn ho's that clearly explained this. this speech, one of the great expository declarations of all time, unambiguously illuminated the fact that scones were evil (eeeeevil, like the fru-its of the dev-il), and needed to be boycotted and stopped. in a nutshell...fuck scones!

Postby RingO'Fire » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:04 pm

genghis wrote:...fuck scones!

Wouldn't they fall apart and get crumbs in your pubes?

Maybe we should boycott English rock n' roll. No more Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Kinks, Who, Clash, etc., etc. Damn those British imperialist bastards! Even their music was an "invasion!"

they just don't take as good a care of their artifacts as the brits do.

I have to agree with Stuart. But, they do rightfully belong back in the custody of the Greek people. Good luck, Dr. Zeus![/quote]
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby electrolux » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:55 am

I'm too busy boycotting Luxembourg to boycott England.
electrolux

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:37 pm

As I understand it one of the horrors that happened to the Parthanon was the storing of gun powder and subsequent explosion causing damage.
Culprits the Turks. (Cyprus is a sticky issue with deep roots.)
Then there was the first (or second) shipment of the marbles themselves--lost at sea. (Hey Robert Ballard, have you looked for this yet?)
They probably should go back to Greece. But right now, Ur and the Asherbanipal frescos can stay in the BM. (They redid the reading room where Marx wrote das Kapital. Does that make them good cultural custodians?) Sutton Hoo is theirs forever. ANd I cant wait until the situation in central Africa is stable enough for all of Leopold II's ill-gotten loot to leave Brussels.
Anyone for draining the Aswan Dam?
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby joel the ornery » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 pm

Didn't the British steal those artifacts, fair and square?

Joel the Ornery

(Tongue firmly pressed against cheek)

P.S. I agree with Stuart... the Brits take better care of artifacts.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Zephryus » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:38 pm

Forget the marbles - when are the British going to give back that bloody great chunk of Ireland they're still clutching?

(Yes, I'm stirring the pot)
Zephryus

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Zephryus wrote:Forget the marbles - when are the British going to give back that bloody great chunk of Ireland they're still clutching?

(Yes, I'm stirring the pot)

As soon as they decide to start working on their teeth.

(I know....that was a bad one.)

Ha, fixed it. Woo Hoo!

I dont need no stinkin edit function. :lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Isotopia » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:56 pm

Didn't the British steal those artifacts, fair and square?

Joel the Ornery

Yes, as I understand it.

Fair and square. That's why it's been such a pain in the ass for Greece to get the marbles back.
Isotopia

Postby juanicoheal » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:04 pm

Isotopia wrote: it's been such a pain in the ass for Greece

Hey watch it.... 8)
juanicoheal

A pain in the Ass!

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Guess they haven't discovered Astroglide!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

d

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:40 am

If the Greeks can pull off the Olympics without buckets of American body parts I will certainly be sympathetic to the return.. But hey,,, wasn't it a good trade, The British gave Greeks Greece, and took in payment some marble stuff. I think the Turks should give back Constantinople.

Re: d

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:17 am

Black Rock Ric wrote:If the Greeks can pull off the Olympics without buckets of American body parts I will certainly be sympathetic to the return.. But hey,,, wasn't it a good trade, The British gave Greeks Greece, and took in payment some marble stuff. I think the Turks should give back Constantinople.

you are one wanna be aristocrat of the worst kind.
why pretend to be something you're not? :?

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby juanicoheal » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:28 pm

I think the Turks should give back Constantinople.

"Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

Istanbul"

- They Might be Giants.
juanicoheal

DVD are you historically illiterate?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:00 am

Please tell me how? Let us look at the history.. The Byzantine Empire was the eastern end of the Roman Empire by the 15th century it was essentially Greece,, spoke Greek, Greek/Christian culture. The morning of May 29 1453 The Turks came over the wall and sacked Constantinople. What was Byzantium/Greece was now the Ottoman Empire. Remember this was only 40 years before Columbus discovered America. And was in fact, why Columbus discovered America. Greece, both in Asia Minor and in what is now modern Greece lay under the Turkish boot until the 1820s when with British assistance they gained their independence. In the 1920s the Greeks attempted to recover their western Asia Minor lands, disastrously. In the 1940's the British again fought and died for the Greeks against the Germans. The Greeks owe the British a great debt and carry a romantic vision of heroic Britain. I used those facts humorously, and you apparently had no idea what I was talking about. The situation today in Cyprus is the the Turkish Greek problem, still unsolved there, feed in the fact that the Cyprus was a British colony from roughly 1890 until close to 1960 and you can see that the triangle of Turkey, Greece, Britain is long standing and is still part of the world today. Consider to aside from that the the middle eastern nations that cause us great trouble today were Turkish provinces until the British took them after the Great War and created the nations we know today.. Both Iraq and Israel are British creations.

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:39 am

And your continual insults as a preface to your posts maintains my prejudice that you're really just yelling into a cave.

Really BRR, your schtick grows old while I grow bored.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

HUH

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:16 am

Huh Badger,"you are one wanna be aristocrat of the worst kind. " that was a quote from DVD insulting me. 'Course it is only an insult if I am insulted..

DVD's response indicated historical illiteracy, just as yours on grabens in Northwest Nevada indicated a lack of knowledge on the geomorphology of Northwest Nevada, but since you did not include an insult, I did not respond in kind. DVD did, so I did. 'Course your post here did include something resembling an insult but,,, see above.. I would suggest before you challenge me on facts, do some research. Feel free to challenge me, flame me,, jump up and down and scream at me on my opinions.. But, my facts are usually accurate.. You will notice that I refrain from initiating insults other than refering to ya'll as city slickers and sheep... but heck,,, is that my opinion or fact... My schtick may grow old and you may be bored, but you keep rising to the bait:) See us, mellow buddhist big game hunters have seen it all and heard it all.. and shot most of it.. very hard to move us off our well centered selves..

Postby Badger » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:02 pm

And I apologize. You're right.

(ANOTHER example of the need for an EDIT BUTTON PLEASE!!!!!

Not to make an excuse for MY fuck up but highlighting quotes using the buttons above the posting window goes a long way towards illuminating the point you made about it being someon else's words - especially for thoise of us who speed read half of what we see here.

Or, maybe, I should just slow the fuck down.

Again, I spoke out of line and incorrectly. I WON'T take this over to that silly-ass 'apology' thread though.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby stuart » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:24 pm

perhaps we can all find elightenment here

http://www.tibetanspirit.com/
stuart

Hey

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:51 pm

Badge,, not a problem,,, I find it humorous that there are people around here more thin skinned than myself.. What concerns me is the number of people that make no logical sense...

Return to Open Discussion