Ticket Poll

All things outside of Burning Man.

How long did it take get your $165 ticket?

Infinity - never got it
37%
Less than an hour - I'm blessed by the gods
29%
1 - 2 hours - I'm lucky
13%
2 - 3 hours - I'm unlucky but tenacious
21%

Total votes : 38

Ticket Poll

Postby zarniwoop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:26 am

Well, here we are kiddies, the morning after. How did YOU fare?
Peace be with you.
zarniwoop

Postby stuart » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:27 am

5 minutes, this morning
stuart

Postby Zulegoona » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:40 am

Gosh Stuart that's swell :x

When I started $20 seemed like a lot of money, by the time it was obvious I wouldn't be making it in to work today I couldn't give up, till it seemed like I might have gotten my ticket. I never did get an e-mail from the purchase that seemed it might have gone threw at 5 am so I ended up buying a ticket at the higher level when I got up.
Zulegoona

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:53 am

stuart wrote:5 minutes, this morning

Gee, that's nice. I started at 2 minutes after midnight and tried for three hours before I said "fuck it" and bought the higher price ticket. Had I known last night at midnight that it wasn't worth it, I would have simply bought the higher price ticket in the first place.

Live and learn.
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:09 pm

karmic dept for rush to buy lowest tier ticket: lost sleep, computer hangups, stress...

Waiting a bit, perhaps purposely buying a few tiers up to save room at the entry level for truly needy folks works well.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby robotland » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:25 pm

I expected to see an announcement that the $165 tix were sold out by now, judging from the logjams people are complaining about.....Stuart and I seem to be the only people who got in and out in 5 minutes.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby forest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:34 pm

I made it all the way through the actual payment through paypal. When I pressed "continue", the next page timed out. A retry brought me to a page that clearly didn't know where I was coming from. Someone else now has my money, and inhousetickets.com says they have no record of my purchase.

I'll give them a few more hours to acknowledge my purchase before I start getting pissy.
forest

not too bad

Postby midgetsonparade » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:36 pm

I quit at 1am then I went back on at 3 and had no problemat all. I was talking to someone earlier in the day about how the servers are probably going to crash at 12:15 because of the traffic. They didn't crash, but they were probably pretty close.
midgetsonparade

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Tiahaar wrote:karmic dept for rush to buy lowest tier ticket: lost sleep, computer hangups, stress...

Waiting a bit, perhaps purposely buying a few tiers up to save room at the entry level for truly needy folks works well.

Karma is bullshit. I sold two tickets last year at $40 below the price I paid for them in order to spread the goodwill and help those that could go. My reward- when I first posted it to the local Yahoo group of Burners, I quoted the price per ticket without stipulating. The guy that answered said, "Hey you said that was the price for BOTH tickets. Yah, well... I guess I won't hold you to it."

I also spent most of my time preparing many interesting and fun drinkables for my campmates and neighbors. When I left early due to personal issues, I left my chairs to the group (after a camp member promised to get them to me afterwards) and cases of homemade absynthe, cider, moonshine, and mead. My reward- I get back and the person that stepped up to bring back my chairs tells me that he doesn't know who's truck they packed it in and told me to run around asking everyone. But get this, he says it might be in the garage- "but I don't feel like looking for it". I ask around and four months later he looks in his garage and returns them to me. This is the guy I gave about $100 worth of "fun" homemade liquor so that they could enjoy the event and share with the neighbors. And I didn't ask him to keep an eye on the chairs, he walked up to me and volunteered to do it.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Buddah, is that the idea of karma as a balancing force is bullshit. Assuming karma simply sets you up to get sucker punched by life. And "needy" only applies to food, water, shelter, and medicines in my book- no one "needs" to go to Burning Man. But if you want to buy tickets for the homeless, go ahead- I'm sure that $165 wouldn't buy them much food. When I was so broke that I couldn't afford a concert ticket or the like, guess what- I didn't go to the concert. How much does it cost that "needy" individual in traveling expenses, food, water, and drugs/alcohol?

I have seen way too many examples of "the hippie downtrodden" that complain of being broke, yet seem to always have money for drugs and always seem to make it to the party. To ask you for money. For drugs. And "can I have a bite of your burrito"?
Rob the Wop

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:44 pm

forest wrote:I made it all the way through the actual payment through paypal. When I pressed "continue", the next page timed out. A retry brought me to a page that clearly didn't know where I was coming from. Someone else now has my money, and inhousetickets.com says they have no record of my purchase.

I'll give them a few more hours to acknowledge my purchase before I start getting pissy.

This is exactly what happened to me. If you didn't get the Email or a page specifically telling you that the purchase was completed- then it wasn't.
Rob the Wop

9:00 central time

Postby maxwells » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:59 pm

it took more time to get my crap together. (determining if i had, or still had, a paypal account, where was my checkbook, anyways, etc.) seems the 9:00 am central time was a good one.

but - i got my tickets, got 'em, got 'em, got 'em... (insert happy dance) one more step toward the vault of heaven, or my big ass party in the desert!

cheers!
I like you....
maxwells

Postby Isotopia » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:05 pm

Why don't you hold off on getting 'pissy' while the ticket team assesses what - if anything - has gone wrong and allow them to correct the problem, make appropriate notifications and evaluate the situation rather than them having to deal with what will undoubtedly be an avalanche of folks de-fucking-manding immedite, first class attention to their whiney-as e-mails.
Isotopia

A light at the end of the ticket window....

Postby PurpleKoosh » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:25 pm

From the top of the ticket page this morning:

UPDATE: If you attempted to purchase your tickets last night and did not receive an email confirmation, please contact us here. We truly appreciate your patience and we will honor all orders placed.

Take heart, friends....
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: A light at the end of the ticket window....

Postby Rob the Wop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:45 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:From the top of the ticket page this morning:

UPDATE: If you attempted to purchase your tickets last night and did not receive an email confirmation, please contact us here. We truly appreciate your patience and we will honor all orders placed.

Take heart, friends....

Cool. This is what I was hoping (though not especially expecting) would happen. It seemed pretty obvious that there were a number of people in line that were being ignored, not because of any financial or bandwidth issue, but most probably from latency or IP session timeout type issues. IE. through no fault of theirs, they were "tossed aside". It's awesome to see the BM folks step up and say- alright, something wasn't right in the mix and we're going to make good to those people affected. Way to go.

And I take back everything I was screaming at you through my computer. Except the mother dresses you funny part. I mean, that's a good thing around here.

Love,
Fashion Guru Furbie[i]
Rob the Wop

What day is it?....

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:53 pm

Tickets, What tickets?

blindly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Ticket update.

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:04 pm

I just got off the phone with the InHouse ticket folks.
The thing they don't tell folks is that they can't process Direct Withdrawls with 3% of the banks they deal with. At first she tried blaming my bank, saying that they don't allow direct access. Problem is, I have had three different agencies make direct withdrawls/deposits- and I've never had a problem. So it is most probably something between the banks. I use a credit union, and she stated that she has an account with one also, and they can't process it.

Moral of the story: If you were continually denied, and the error page says that it didn't process and to try again- it may be that their bank will not accept yours.

I wish they could have made this disclaimer prior, and that their error message would be more specific. Oh well.
Rob the Wop

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:41 pm

I spent an hour and a half after coming home from the bar navigating my way through the ticket proccess. I had so many IE errors. I was cussing in a rather slurred way that kept the wife awake. When finally I made it to pay pal and paid the confirm link lead me to another IE error. Lukily I sent InHouse a message with all the Pay Pal info saying I paid and had my ticket confirmed the next morning.

Sandwichman
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Return to Open Discussion