Victory Garden

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby can't sit still » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Be sure to piss responsibly. Otherwise, they'll tell jokes about you for years;
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BULLDOZER-D ... 286.c0.m14
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby Oldguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Yay, my tomatos survived 8 days without watering. Everything else was harvested or pulled before leaving on the 30th. The front lawn looks terrible. Next year, I'll not use pots and containers. I've got 6 months to work on my beds for next spring.

At Thursday's BBQ on Genome and 8:05, I tasted some grilled zucchini that was quite good. Those guys really did it right. And those chainsaw margaritas were fabulous. And those guys who did the deep fried turkeys at Genome and 5:40 were a hit. Mashed potatoes and gravy too. Oh, and the guys who did the rootbeer floats and the chocolate sundays, wow. I ate really well and I am very appreciative of all the hard work and sharing...Fan-damn-tastic!
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Monkeypoo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 am

I always liked peeing in the woods when we'd go camping. Now I have an excuse to pee in my patio garden. :P I always thought urine would hurt plants. I once retaliated against some roommates who ripped me off of a lot of money, so for a week every time I had to pee I went out to the garage, pee in a coffee can and poured it in their marijuana plants. Their plants started dying off and they couldn't figure out why. I am the wrong person to mess with if ya do mean things to me.

And now I must go pee pee.
:P
Monkeypoo

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Postby Oldguy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 pm

yes, urine and human waste has been used in agriculture. If urine is stored it breaks down into ammonia and other nitrates. Raw urine is acidic and will kill ph sensitive plants. Waste water and animal/ human manure is used around the world for fertilizer. Risk of disease and pathogens limits use here. There are worm farms here locally that sell castings as soil amendments...

Human hair and human urine repels predators around the garden also. Many animals and pests avoid human contact. The local hunting store sells scents. Deer urine from does in estruse attracts male deer, fox and dog urine repels them.

A cousin of mine killed a guy who was raiding his pot garden. The raider pulled a knife and my cousin ran to the truck and got his gun. Ruled self defense. Be carefull around pot farms...
Image current moon

-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Praying Mantis

Postby Monkeypoo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:19 pm

While in my garden this afternoon, I discovered a 3-inch beautiful green praying mantis who has moved itself into my lavender bush and made it its home.
I named him Fred and welcomed him to his new home.....and then the little sonofabitch promptly bit me!! Those little dickens have one heck of a bite!

*files this under - Things I Won't Do Again* :roll:

After screaming and throwing him down, I went on the internet and found out a few things about my new little friend that I did not know about.

The mantis is the only predator which is fast enough to catch mosquitoes and flies. It is also the only insect that can turn its head all the way around (180 degrees). Praying mantis have voracious appetites and will eat a variety of insects including aphids, grasshoppers, fruit flies, house flies, moths and crickets. However, in addition to these insects, praying mantis will also eat beneficial insects like hover flies and lacewings. If you're a gardener who is contemplating using praying mantis for pest control, do keep this in mind.
Monkeypoo

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Tanx, that bug is not listed in my bug/garden book..
unjonharley

Postby can't sit still » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:06 am

Here's a good link on potatoes;
http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby Oldguy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Time to add to this old vanity thread of mine. Three beefsteak tomatos on the vine, a couple of bunches of cherry tomatos left to pull, and that's it for my garden. :(

We got 1.50 inches of rain so far today. My lawn is recovering nicely and my car is shiny lean. Heavy winds for tonight then it's supposed to rain all day tommorrow. Lakes and dams filling up nicely. It's been raining today at Gerlach also. Boreal Ridge is making snow, I love the change of seasons... :)
Image current moon

-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 am

Wild Onions..

Several years ago we planted onions and garlic in the flower gardens and back lawn.. This makes the moles go next door ). They have gone wild. Producing two cropes a year..

So I bring a few (6-8) plant into the house and replant them each week..The first ones are ready to eat in six weeks.. Now I have a steady supplie of onions each week..

THis last summer I dryed some full grown wild onions.. In the spring the sets will be planted to produce large onions.. They will be plant each week so there will be fresh onions all summer and fall
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm

We had a pretty good garden for the first year taking it seriously on a larger scale. Lots of peppers, tomatoes and salad greens. Next year we figure more of everything, especially potatos and corn, and we’ve still got broccoli and cauliflower growing. Plus, there’s a good spot behind the barn to expand into.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm

Brought the tomateos in a week ago. They produce up to Feb. in the sun room.

Next year I want to grow them upside down.. It's the water control that ripens them.. So I figure upside down I can control the water of each plant to produce at different times. only one plant at a time will be ripe. Then as the next plant ripens I pour the water to the last one.. It will blossom and produce more tomatoe.. Then cut the water back to ripen..

Wounder if Bell Pepper will grow up side down??? Hmmmm
unjonharley

Postby Oldguy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:32 pm

I pulled up the last 4 cherry tomato plants before the rain today. They were still putting on blossoms. I tossed the tin cans from my container garden into the recycle bin. Cleaned up my ceramic and plastic pots to reuse. I'm burning natural gas in the heater at night now. Feels like winter today.

I finished my how to get a job class today, " From Application to Interview." Department of Rehabilitation gave me 60 bucks for gas money to attend, now I qualify for additional assistance in getting employed. I learned I was making several mistakes in filling out applications, the practice interviews went very well.

I got to see the medication therapist at the mental health facility last month and he upped my Paxil dosage. I'm doing much better. I see him again in January to see if I need another bump up in dosage. I see my doctor in the county health department for my blood pressure medication prescription next week.

I got a frozen turkey with all the fixings( in cans) from the gleaners this week. After several months on food stamps/ EBT card, I have stored several months of canned goods to last me the winter, no matter what happens.

Well, that's the news from the home front, Happy Holidays to all the vets and their families. " All the Way! ." :)
Oldguy

Postby can't sit still » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:51 pm

A garden sounds like a VERY good idea.
"Of the worldwide record one billion people going hungry, the leading cause is destroyed agriculture due to extreme weather."
http://ampedstatus.com/the-critical-unr ... us-society
A victory over hunger :D
can't sit still

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 am

i pulled my last 4 brussel sprout plants... that's what i am taking to the family thanksgiving.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby unjonharley » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Just pulled a winter garlic.

Wont need a flu shot with that.

I plant then in the roses for spring.. then spray them on the apple,cherries and plum blossems. Keeps the bugs from laying eggs that turn into worms in the fruit.

Also keep spraying the grapes and most of the garden plants..

The garlic I miss keeps the moles at bay from eating all the worms.
unjonharley

Postby can't sit still » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I just bought a place with plums. Reportedly, the bears get them all. Any spray for bears??
can't sit still

Postby lonestoner916 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Try using Axe Deodorant Body Spray, I find that it scares most animals away, especially female animals I'm trying to mate with.
:wink:

[edited fro drumk spellling}
lonestoner916

Postby unjonharley » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Dryed peas from this summer. Wild bunch onion from the rose beds. Wild garlic from the rose beds. Bay leaf from the tree in the yard. Salt, pepper and oil.

Split pea soup with corn bread mmm
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Got the garden tilled over the weekend. The tomatoes are growing in the back room under grow lights. This evening I tilled a new section, expanding the garden from 2000 sq ft. to almost 2400 and Karine got the cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts set out. She also planted onions, beets, and lettuce. The potatoes go in the ground tomorrow.
LeChatNoir

Postby can't sit still » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Congrats,,, expect the sheriff to show up after your power bill goes up :lol:
can't sit still

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Heh Heh They buzzed the back field last year to get a closer look at the pine trees we planted in nice, neat rows.
LeChatNoir

Postby Oldguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 pm

5 two gallon pots planted. (3 tomato, 1 pepper, and 1 strawberry.) No tin can garden this year.
My health is good. Finances are not. Same old, same old.
Oldguy

It Measured By The Foot...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Join the club...

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:09 am

I got room for a couple of plants near my fence. Ideas?

Tomatos and cucumbers?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

We planted our cucumbers at the bse of a tree then trained the vines up the trunck and branches. Cucumbers hanging from the tree were a hoot and no bending to harvest.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:06 am

Family is coming over Sun. to chip the pile on cuttings.. Then I will cover that with grass cutting and a black plastic.. Just have to uncover it in the spring and plant.. No til saves a bunch of work.. The stuff rots down and the worms finish it.. They also keep the ground soft..

I think I want to do a checker board garden next year.. By puting down ply wood 12x12 squares.. Feed compost under the wood and grow in the open squares.. The move the wood over one square the next year..No til and little weeding..
unjonharley

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:16 am

My apartment complex finally got with the program and is creating a community garden. It's not going to be large so they're having a lottery for spaces. I put in for one yesterday. The drawing is on May 1.

If I get it, I'll be planting big stuff that won't fit on my balcony. Costco is selling three-packs of blueberry bushes that are guaranteed to produce this year. I'll also put in some tea tree buses and squash. As for the balcony, I've gotten going with a bunch of window boxes full of herbs. The parsley and basil are coming up, the rosemary unfortunately isn't doing well, but the sage, chives and thyme are thriving. I even did my first harvest of scallions yesterday.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby AntiM » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:20 am

The raspberry canes look good. Larry got the raised beds in, but with our spring hail, good thing I don't have anything in the ground just yet. The strawberries, rhubarb, and chives are doing their own thing, as they always do. The herb bed gets moved to containers. The lemon balm took over.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:32 am

gardening sure seems to be becoming fashionable.....our raised bed business is super busy......people from all over the country ordering.......
It's great to grow at least some of your own food.......
I'm a "black thumb", so, I find folks that I can do tractor work or something, to help with their gardens, and, trade for veggies.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Got a frezze warning the other night.. So I stuffed all the plant trays into the van.. It has been warm for a few days now And the plants are loving it in the van.. Hope it'snot tobig of a shock when I stuff them in the ground..

Picked up an old blender the other day.. Now the worms get prepared food..
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion