Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby can't sit still » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Bail Out According to Maxine

"BAIL EM OUT! ????

Hell, back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it. They failed and it closed. Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey!"
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 pm

House Judiciary chairman subpoenas Karl Rove

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD95V3UQ80

By LARRY MARGASAK – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Judiciary Committee chairman subpoenaed former White House adviser Karl Rove on Monday to testify about the Bush administration's firing of U.S. attorneys and prosecution of a former Democratic governor.

The subpoena by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., continues a long-running legal battle with ex-President George W. Bush's former White House political director. Rove previously refused to appear before the panel, contending that former presidential advisers cannot be compelled to testify before Congress.

The subpoena commanded Rove to appear for a deposition on Feb. 2 on the firings of U.S. attorneys for political reasons. Conyers also demanded testimony on whether politics played a role in the prosecution of former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, a Democrat.

Bush upheld Rove's legal position, but Conyers said times have changed.

"That 'absolute immunity' position ... has been rejected by U.S. District Judge John Bates and President Obama has previously dismissed the claim as 'completely misguided,'" Conyers said in a statement.

Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, did not immediately respond to a phone message seeking comment.

"I have said many times that I will carry this investigation forward to its conclusion, whether in Congress or in court, and today's action is an important step along the way," Conyers said.

The change in administrations may affect the legal arguments available to Rove, Conyers said.

"Change has come to Washington, and I hope Karl Rove is ready for it. After two years of stonewalling, it's time for him to talk," Conyers said.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 pm

can't sit still wrote:Bail Out According to Maxine

"BAIL EM OUT! ????

Hell, back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it. They failed and it closed. Now we are trusting the economy of our country and our banking system to the same nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling whiskey!"

Wasn't this during the height of the AID epidemic, lots of whore houses when out of Biz then.

On another note, Obama changes the CAFE of auto fuel efficiency to 35mpg from the Bush implimentation of 2020 to 2012! And, a forty percent increase from today standard back with regulation laws!

He's making good on his promises at a record pace!

Funny, I thought I heard a gnat buzzing this thread for moment there.

And DVD, a recent poll (and this is the last post on the Middle East for a while) 80% of palestinians want a lasting peace with Israel and ONE Palestinian government. Guess which one? Give you a hint. It doesn't start with an H.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:32 pm

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 am

Now that's a happy thought.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Obama Disappointed Cabinet Failed To Understand His Reference To 'Savage Sword Of Conan' #24

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama expressed frustration Wednesday after members of his cabinet failed to recognize his allusion to the 24th issue of the comic series Savage Sword Of Conan during their first major meeting together.

Obama, whose upcoming challenges include organizing a massive effort to rebuild the nation's infrastructure, was reportedly unprepared for the confused silence he received upon suggesting that his cabinet "team up with Taurus of Nemedia" to secure the necessary funding from Congress.

"If my inner circle of advisers can't even communicate about the most basic issues, how are we going to tackle the massive problems our nation faces?" Obama said during a press conference. "When I tell my cabinet that getting bipartisan support is exactly like the time Conan got Taurus to help him steal Yara's jewel, they need to understand what I mean."

After receiving no reaction from the assembled reporters, Obama added, "Because a giant spider is protecting this chamber full of precious jewels, just like Congress is protecting its…. God, how are you people not seeing this?"

Obama, an avid collector of Conan The Barbarian and Spider-Man comic books since he was a child, was referencing the 1977 story "The Tower Of The Elephant," written by Roy Thomas. According to administration sources, no one in Obama's cabinet was familiar with the magazine-sized comic, though Labor Secretary Hilda Solis claimed to have once seen Conan the Destroyer.

Aides also confirmed that Obama has refused to lend his copy of issue #24 to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, fearing the former Republican congressman will carelessly bend or rip the pages. The commander in chief is reportedly intent on keeping the comics in pristine condition for their eventual inclusion in his presidential library.

"How am I supposed to effectively lead this nation when [attorney general nominee Eric] Holder has to stop the meeting and ask what the story of Taurus using the black lotus powder to kill the five guard lions has to do with increasing broadband Internet connections nationwide?" Obama said while vigorously rubbing his temples.

Added the president, "For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

Administration officials said the incident has caused the president to question whether his staff has ever understood any of his Conan references. One such instance he is reportedly reexamining occurred after his loss in the New Hampshire primary, when Obama rallied his staff by reminding them, "There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage."

Although campaign workers smiled and nodded at the time, Obama has begun to seriously doubt that any of them connected the inspiring quotation to the story line in which a Kothian rogue informs Conan that it is impossible to climb to the top of the Elephant Tower because the sides are more slippery than glass

While Obama has not scheduled another meeting with his cabinet this week—a respite the president hopes they will use to brush up on the 235-issue Savage Sword series—he is expected to meet with Secretary of Defense Robert Gates on Friday to discuss Afghanistan. A holdover from the Bush administration, Gates told reporters he may have gotten off on the wrong foot with the new president, citing an occasion when Obama asked him what he knew about 1984's Secret Wars, a 12-issue limited Marvel release. Gates then handed a visibly confused Obama 1,400 classified pages on covert CIA operations in El Salvador.

Later, the defense secretary attempted to find common ground with Obama by making casual references to the comic book Spawn. But the 44th president reportedly brushed him off with an abrupt laugh, saying, "no one in [his] administration likes Spawn."

Minutes from the first cabinet meeting indicate it lasted just under 35 minutes, coming to a standstill during a discussion of minimizing public waste. When Energy Secretary Steven Chu failed to understand the president's instructions to "be like the barbarian wielding his steel to cleave flesh from bone," Vice President Joe Biden attempted to clarify the president's thoughts.

"I think what the president is trying to say here is that this is just like the time when Barney had to put Fish on restricted duty because of his health exam results," said Biden, a longtime fan of the late-'70s police sitcom Barney Miller. "It's pretty straightforward when you look at it like that."

When asked by the press corps if this week's hiccup has caused him to rethink any of his appointments, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton interrupted the president to assert that she and her colleagues have already begun educating themselves about comic books, and will soon be "an invincible team of Supermen and Wonder Women working to save America."

"Wonder Woman? That's not even Marvel," Obama responded before storming out of the press room. "Who are you people?"

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ob ... late_rss_1
:)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:07 pm

That's funny. Love the Onion.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

And I too love the Onion. I watch Conan almost everynite.

He's funny!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 pm

jkisha wrote:She's been on my case once before, I just ignore her too. I know just the person to introduce her to though! I'll bet she's another one that never makes it to the playa either. :roll:

JK

Most likely its a guyQ

Bail out the Bonuses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/busin ... us.html?hp

What Red Ink? Wall Street Paid Hefty Bonuses

By BEN WHITE
Published: January 28, 2009
By almost any measure, 2008 was a complete disaster for Wall Street — except, that is, when the bonuses arrived. Despite crippling losses, multibillion-dollar bailouts and the passing of some of the most prominent names in the business, employees at financial companies in New York, the now-diminished world capital of capital, collected an estimated $18.4 billion in bonuses for the year.

That was the sixth-largest haul on record, according to a report released Wednesday by the New York State comptroller.

Now here comes Obama and that shit is going to stop real soon!

posting.php?mode=quote&p=435571

Too bad the Republicans didn't vote for it so now they can't get any credit, but you know who's going to throw as many wrenches into the gears to stop our economy from improving.

We need probably about 3 trillion more to go into the right places like forgiving your personal debt instead of giving anymore to the banks

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 pm

unless coupled with a check for those with no debt, I just don't understand or accept the fairness of "forgiving personal debt".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 am

ygmir wrote:unless coupled with a check for those with no debt, I just don't understand or accept the fairness of "forgiving personal debt".........

I would think it would have to be.

A bit off topic, but did you know that the auto-workers union used to require per their contract that all employees be paid whether there was any work or not. (can't remember what they called this little perk) They had to give this up as a concession for the big three to get their bail-out money.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 am

Chomsky: No Change Coming With Obama

The following is a Press TV interview with respected American author, political analyst and world-renowned linguist, Professor Noam Chomsky.

By Press TV

http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e21834.htm

January 24, 2009 -- -Press TV: Professor Chomsky, we better start with Pakistan. The White House not commenting on the killings of people [in cross-border drone attacks from Afghanistan into Pakistan]. Richard Holbrooke, someone whom you've written about in the context of Yugoslavia, is the man [President Barack] Obama has chosen to solve the situation.

Chomsky: Well, it was pretty clear that Obama would accept the Bush doctrine that the United States can bomb Pakistan freely, and there have been many case which are quite serious.

There has been for example a great deal of chaos and fighting in Bajaur province, which is a adjacent to Afghanistan and tribal leaders- others there- have traced it to the bombing of a madrassa school which killed 80 to 95 people, which I don't think was even reported in the United states, it was reported in the Pakistani press of course.

The author of the article reporting it, a well-known nuclear physicist, Pervez Hoodbhoy pointed out at the time that this kind of massacre will of course engender terror and reactions, which will even threaten the state of Pakistan. And that has been what is happening. We are now seeing more of it.

The first message of the Pakistani government to General [David] Petraeus, the American General when he took command of the region was that they did not want any more bombings in Pakistan.

Actually, the first message to the new Obama administration by President [Hamid] Karzai of Afghanistan was the same, that he wanted no more bombings. He also said that he wants a timetable for the withdrawal of the foreign troops, US and other troops, from Afghanistan. That was of course just ignored.

Press TV: And these three foreign envoys, well the third one has not been announced yet perhaps, but some people are expressing optimism about George Mitchell's position as Middle East envoy.

Richard Holbrooke, which have looked at. We have talked to the former Bosnian foreign minister here, who seemed to imply that he may even have had a role in the say so for the Srebrenica massacre, and of course, Dennis Ross is being talked about as an envoy for Iran.

Chomsky: well Holbrooke has a pretty awful record, not so much Yugoslavia, but earlier. For example, In the Indonesian atrocities in eastern Timor, where he was the official in charge, and evaded to stop the US support for them, and all together it's a very spotty record.

George Mitchell is, of the various appointments that have been made, he is the most decent let's say. He has a pretty decent record. He achieved something in Northern Ireland, but of course, in that case there was an objective.

The objective was that the British would put an end to the resort to violence in response to IRA terror and would attend to the legitimate grievances that were the source of the terror. He did manage that, Britain did pay attention to the grievances, and the terror stopped- so that was successful.

But there is no such outcome sketched in the Middle East, specially the Israel-Palestine problem. I mean, there is a solution, a straightforward solution very similar to the British one. Israel could stop its US-backed crimes in the occupied territories and then presumably the reaction to them would stop. But that's not on the agenda.

In fact, President Obama just had a press conference, which was quite interesting in that respect. He praised the parabolic peace initiative, the Saudi initiative endorsed by the Arab League, and said it had constructive elements. It called for the normalization of relation with Israel, and he called on the Arab states to proceed with those "constructive elements," namely the normalization of relations.

But that is a gross falsification of the Arab League initiative. The Arab League initiative called for accepting a two-state settlement on the international border, which has been a long-standing international consensus and said if that can be achieved then Arab states can normalize relations with Israel.

Well, Obama skipped the first part, the crucial part, the core of the resolution, because that imposes an obligation on the United States. The United States has stood alone for over thirty years in blocking this international consensus, by now it has totally isolated the US and Israel.

Europe and now a lot of other countries have accepted it. Hamas has accepted it for years, the Palestinian Authority of course, the Arab League now for many years [have accepted it]. The US and Israel block it, not just in words, but they are blocking it in actions constantly, (this is) happening every day in the occupied territories and also in the siege of Gaza and other atrocities.

So when he skips that it is purposeful. That entails that the US is not going to join the world in seeking to implement a diplomatic settlement, and if that is the case, Mitchell's mission is vacuous.

Press TV: Is there a contradiction in that George Mitchell of course did speak to members of the Sinn Féin, their military wing of course of the IRA.

At the same time, well on this channel [Press TV] we have been covering the Gaza conflict, its headquarters were bombed, and now we are being told that Israeli soldiers will not give their names, and the names of people are not being released for fear of prosecution.

And yet, some were saying that Obama did say that the border should be opened. Should we see any change in policy there?

Chomsky: He did say that, but he did not mention the fact that it was in the context of a lot other demands. And Israel will also say, sure the borders should be opened but he still refuses to speak to the elected government (i.e. Hamas), quite different from Mitchell in Northern Ireland.

It means Palestinians will have to be punished for voting in a free election, the way the US did not want them to, and he endorsed the Condoleezza Rice-Tzipi Livni agreement to close the Egyptian-Gaza order, which is quite an act of imperial arrogance.

It is not their border, and in fact, Egypt strongly objected to that. But Obama continued. He says we have to make sure that no arms are smuggled through the tunnels into the Gaza Strip. But he said nothing about the vast dispatch of far more lethal arms to Israel.

In fact, right in the middle of the Gaza attack, December 31, the Pentagon announced that it was commissioning a German ship to send 3,000 tons of war material to Israel. That did not work out, because the government of Greece prevented it but it was supposed to go through Greece but it could all go through somewhere else. This is right in the middle of the attack on Gaza.

Actually there were very little reporting, very few inquiries. The Pentagon responded in an interesting way. They said, well this material won't be used for the attack on Gaza, in fact they knew that Israel had plans to stop the attack right before the inauguration, so that Obama would not have to say anything about it.

But the Pentagon said that this material is being used for pre-positioning for US forces. In other words, this has been going for a long time, but this is extending and reinforcing the role of Israel as a US military base on the edge of the major oil producing regions of the world. If they are ever asked why they are doing it, they will say for defense or stability, but it is just a base for further aggressive action.

Press TV: Robert Gates and Admiral [Mike] Mullen have been talking about the 16-month timeline for withdrawal from Iraq is just one of the options, a slight difference from what Obama has been saying in the campaign. And, Hillary Clinton famously said she was prepared to obliterate all of Iran and kill 70 million citizens. On Iraq and Iran what do you see as changes?

Chomsky: What happened in Iraq is extremely interesting and important. The few correspondents with real experience any whom know something have understood it. Patrick Cockburn, Jonathan Steele and one or two others.

What has happened is that there was a remarkable campaign of non-violent resistance in Iraq, which compelled the United States, step-by-step, to back away from its programs and its goals. They compelled the US occupying forces to allow an election, which the US did not want and tried to evade in all sorts of ways.

Then they went on from there to force the United States to accept at least formally a status of forces agreement, which if the Obama administration lives up to it, will abandon most of the US war aims. It will eliminate the huge permanent military bases that the US has built in Iraq. It will mean the US will not control decisions over how the oil resources will be accessed and used. And in fact just every war aim is gone.

Of course there is a question of whether the US will live up to it and what you are reporting is among the serious indications that they are trying to evade living up to it. But what happened there is really significant, and a real credit to the people of Iraq, who have suffered miserably. I mean, the country has been absolutely destroyed, but they did manage to get the US to back away formally from its major war aims.

In the case of Iran, Obama's statements have not been as inflammatory as Clinton's, but they amount to pretty much the same thing. He said all options are open. Well, what does all options mean? Presumably that includes nuclear war, you know, that is an option.

There is no indication that he is willing to take the steps, say, that the American population wants. An overwhelming majority of the American population for years has been in favor, has agreed with the Non-Aligned Movement, that Iran should have the rights granted to the signers of the non-proliferation treaty, in fact to develop nuclear energy.

It should not have the right to develop nuclear weapons, and more interestingly about the same percentages, about 75 to 80%, call for the establishment of a nuclear weapons free zone in the region, which would include Iran, Israel, and any US forces deployment there, within all kinds of verifications and so on.

That could eliminate probably one of the major sources of the conflict. There is no indication that the Obama administration has any thought of doing anything about this.

Press TV: Just finally Professor Chomsky, the US economy, of course where you are -that is dominating the news and the lives all Americans and arguably the people around the world- and this 825 billion dollar package. How do you think the Obama people are going to handle this?

Chomsky: Nobody really knows. I mean, what is happening with the economy is not well understood. It is based on extremely opaque financial manipulations, which are quite hard to decode. I mean, the general process is understood, but whether the $800 billion, or probably larger government stimulus, will overcome this crisis, is not known.

The first $350 billion have already been spent- that is the so-called part bailout but that went into the pockets of banks. They were supposed to start lending freely, but they just decided not to do it. They would rather enrich themselves, restore their own capital, and take over other banks- mergers and acquisition and so on.

Whether the next stimulus will have an effect depends very much on how it is handled, whether it is monitored, so that it is used for constructive purposes. [It relies] also on factors that are just not known, like how deep this crisis is going to be.

It is a worldwide crisis and it is very serious. It is suddenly striking that the ways that Western countries are approaching the crisis is exactly the same as the model that they enforce on the Third World when there is a crisis.

So when Indonesia has a crisis, Argentina and everyone else, they are supposed to raise interest rates very high and privatize the economy, and cut down on public spending, measures like that. In the West, it is the exact opposite: lower interest rates to zero, move towards nationalization if necessary, pour money into the economy, have huge debts.

That is exactly the opposite of how the Third World is supposed to pay off its debts, and that this seems to pass without comment is remarkable. These measures for the West are ones that might get the economy moving again, while it has been a disaster for others.

ZHD/HGH/HAR

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:unless coupled with a check for those with no debt, I just don't understand or accept the fairness of "forgiving personal debt".........

I would think it would have to be.

A bit off topic, but did you know that the auto-workers union used to require per their contract that all employees be paid whether there was any work or not. (can't remember what they called this little perk) They had to give this up as a concession for the big three to get their bail-out money.

JK

yeah, I saw an interview where they described a "lounge" where, if there was no work and they wanted pay, they had to go, watch tv, play cards, whatever, for their shift........I forget the name, too....but, rolled my eyes at the idea......

Jeeze, why do some folks resent unions?......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 am

That's a tactic that mobsters used. They go to a work site and just sit there for a few hours. Works to hide their other income under the cover of a job with a tax receipt.

How is that unfair by just giving it to banks to pay off their bad debt?

Give it to the people and they inturn give it to their debtors. All to be paid back at low interest rates instead of the 18-26% the banks charge!

Two entities get out from bad debt!

On Obama's Economic Bill passed by the House: Republicans are still living in their fantasy world that you can spend without taking the money in to pay for it. They want more tax cuts FOR THE RICH!

So fuck the Republicans, who are losing supporters unless your an idiot like RUSH (you got to be one if you listen to that crap!)

I won't forget their No Vote on this bill when the economy revives when it's time for reelection and shove it in their faces!

Republican's are fuck heads!

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:That's a tactic that mobsters used. They go to a work site and just sit there for a few hours. Works to hide their other income under the cover of a job with a tax receipt.

Give it to the people and they inturn give it to their debtors. All to be paid back at low interest rates instead of the 18-26% the banks charge!

AIIZ

Which raises another question--how likely is it that anyone that has allowed themselves to get that far into debt would actually use that money to pay off the debt? Once things get to that point, they'd probably be more likely to just default on that debt and just spend the money on a new 60" LCT TV and such. I mean, they couldn't have been very responsible to begin with; how would free money from the government change that?

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 am

You're thinking behind the ball!

Regulations! Duh!

And don't forget how many people get behind on their bills or you are on a nice sweet retirement plan?

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:That's a tactic that mobsters used. They go to a work site and just sit there for a few hours. Works to hide their other income under the cover of a job with a tax receipt.

On Obama's Economic Bill passed by the House: Republicans are still living in their fantasy world that you can spend without taking the money in to pay for it. They want more tax cuts FOR THE RICH!

So fuck the Republicans, who are losing supporters unless your an idiot like RUSH (you got to be one if you listen to that crap!)

I won't forget their No Vote on this bill when the economy revives when it's time for reelection and shove it in their faces!

Republican's are fuck heads!

AIIZ

I"m not saying they shouldn't do it for peoples debt, and, a direct to the bank, forgiveness,so, that, that's where it goes.
What I'm suggesting is that, if someone with debt, that they've incurred, get it forgiven, I should get the same amount in a check........
if you get 100 dollars of debt forgiven, and, I have no debt, I should get 100 dollars in money.
I agree with JK in that a lot of folks, given the money directly, would choose not to pay their debt off.........that's why I say direct to banks for debt, and, if you have no debt, direct to you.........

People only get behind on their bills if they spend more than they make......it's that simple. Maybe they have a catastrophe, sure, and, it sinks them. But, I don't see it the governments job to bail them out........or banks, etc.........

But, if money is handed out, it should be fair and equitable, the same for all.........no "special" circumstances.......IMHO......

AZ:
are you this bitter towards everyone you disagree with, or, just republicans?.........or, does it matter what the disagreement is about?
Just wonderin?.......

I agree the reps. have done, and do, stupid things.......no shit.
I still see both parties as two sides of the same wooden nickel.......
I'd be pretty much painting both parties with the same brush, though..........
If a person steps out of their own issues, (read: wants and needs), and, just looks at the stewardship of both parties on our world........I feel, you'll see they both screw stuff up.......
look at congress, IMHO, if you want to see the worst of the worst for the last 100 years.....as regards "doing the peoples business"........

There, that's my nickels worth......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 pm

:P

Steele Elected RNC Chair

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix ... id=topnews

The Republican National Committee elected Michael Steele as its first African American chairman today in Washington, a decision that came after an excruciating series of ballots that displayed a level of drama rarely seen in national politics.

On the sixth and final ballot Steele bested South Carolina Republican party Chairman Katon Dawson 91 to 77.

"It's time for something completely different and we are going to bring it to them," Steele said after his victory. "This is our opportunity. I cannot do this by myself." (Watch the full speech.)

Steele acknowledged that the GOP has an "image problem" but cast his election as a "new moment" for the Republican Party.

Asked about the controversy surrounding Rush Limbaugh and his back and forth with President Barack Obama, Steele was careful not to wholly embrace the controversial conservative talk radio host. "Rush will says what Rush has to say, we will do what we have to do as a party," said Steele

In picking Steele, who had previously served as the chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, the state's lieutenant governor, and the GOP nominee in the Maryland Senate race in 2006, the party regulars seem to be acknowledging the need for new -- and different -- faces at the top of its food chain.

"The winds of change are blowing at the RNC," said current chair Mike Duncan who stepped aside after losing votes on each of the first three ballots.

After five ballots, the race came down to Steele and Dawson. Republican party strategists in attendance at the meeting openly fretted about the possibility of electing Dawson, who had acknowledged his membership in a whites-only club, and the signal it would send to a country that had just elected Obama as the nation's first black president.

Of Obama, Steele offered the president congratulations for his victory but also sought to send a message to the Democratic chief executive; "How do you like me now," Steele asked.

It was -- interestingly -- former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell who ultimately swung the race to Steele when he dropped out before the fifth ballot and endorsed the former lieutenant governor. The move was somewhat unexpected as Blackwell had staked out the turf as the most socially conservative candidate in the field while Steele had had to beat back rumors that he was not sufficiently conservative.

Steele faces a massive challenge to rebuild a party that faces significant organizational, financial and messaging hurdles.

The Democratic National Committee is up and running and will have the benefit of the 13 million person strong email list that Obama built during the primary. Democrats also have the luxury of controlling the White House and both chambers of Congress.

Steele will provide a charismatic face at the top of the GOP but will be tested to show an ability to raise the money necessary to compete with the DNC in 2009 races (governors contests in Virginia and New Jersey) as well as the critical 2010 midterm elections.

If you missed our live Twitter coverage of the RNC proceedings -- and they were FAR more dramatic than you might think -- you can catch up on it all on TheHyperFix feed.

By Chris Cillizza | January 30, 2009; 4:04 PM ET | Category: Republican Party
Previous: The Friday Line: Ten Republicans To Watch |

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

BWWWWAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

i guess Black is the new change huh?

:lol:

That's right, when they fuck shit up beyond repair, send in the black guy to fix the shit.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

And this guy is an idiot.

Oh wait, does that make me a racist?

BWWWWAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Politics,

truly is for suckers. :lol:

Oh hey, looks like there's room now for a fourth party.

Dems' repubs' indy, and..........

It's like giving the kid the Cadillac after Dad done fucked it up.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Once you go black, you can't go back.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Once you go black, you can't go back.

That's an Urban Myth.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 pm

jkisha wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Once you go black, you can't go back.

That's an Urban Myth.

JK

I thought it was an urban Mith-ter.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am

Alberto Gonzales Can't Find A Job

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moToa3y-FxE[/youtube]

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:49 am

Conservative Bill Kristol Has Left The New York Times Op-Ed Page Building

January 26th, 2009
By JOE GANDELMAN, Editor-In-Chief

http://themoderatevoice.com/25963/conse ... -building/

Although it will likely be couched in corporate sweety-speak from the New York Times itself, and will lead conservative old and new media pundits to thunder about how the liberal news media just can’t take a real conservative’s opinion, the news that The Weekly Standard maven Bill Kristol’s contract wasn’t being renewed by the Times didn’t come to a surprise to one segment of people:

People who’ve worked on newspapers and/or people who are addicted to reading newspaper-op-ed columnists — columnists who cannot usually be confused with news-side reporters or most people who write on stream-of-consciousness right or left weblogs.

In fact, Kristol had “YOU CONTRACT WON’T BE RENEWEDâ€

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 am

vote no on Daschle

tax error my ass....

conflicts of interest.

meet your soulmate, john tower.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 am

joel the ornery wrote:vote no on Daschle

tax error my ass....

conflicts of interest.

It'll be an interesting test of the level playing field idea..........

will he be held to the standards reps are, by his peers....?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 am

ygmir wrote:

tax error my ass....

conflicts of interest.

Yes, he will be held to the same standards that the Republicans used for their own members when it was their turn.

It's unfortunate that this didn't come out in the vetting process; but he'll be confirmed with not much problem. Don't forget, he's a member of 'the club'.

I have a little different take on tax issues though. I personally take every deduction I can, some might even be considered 'questionable', knowing full-well that if I am audited, I might have to pay additional tax and or penalties. If I'm not audited, well...I saved a little money. I don't think there is anything wrong with having an aggressive tax strategy, we all pay too much money in taxes anyway and we can all agree that we can spend our own money much better than the government can, I'm sure.

JK

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:31 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:

tax error my ass....

conflicts of interest.

Yes, he will be held to the same standards that the Republicans used for their own members when it was their turn.

It's unfortunate that this didn't come out in the vetting process; but he'll be confirmed with not much problem. Don't forget, he's a member of 'the club'.

I have a little different take on tax issues though. I personally take every deduction I can, some might even be considered 'questionable', knowing full-well that if I am audited, I might have to pay additional tax and or penalties. If I'm not audited, well...I saved a little money. I don't think there is anything wrong with having an aggressive tax strategy, we all pay too much money in taxes anyway and we can all agree that we can spend our own money much better than the government can, I'm sure.

JK

JK

that's part of what I dislike about politicians..........

the implication you make, that, his "issues" will be overlooked, because, the reps would overlook the same in their people........

When will they hold people to the standards the rest of us are held to?
regardless of "what they did"?

I'd have great respect for a party that would throw their own out for cheating.....
and say they are for doing what's right, instead of, what they can get away with.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:38 am

ygmir wrote:that's part of what I dislike about politicians..........

the implication you make, that, his "issues" will be overlooked, because, the reps would overlook the same in their people........

When will they hold people to the standards the rest of us are held to?
regardless of "what they did"?

I'd have great respect for a party that would throw their own out for cheating.....
and say they are for doing what's right, instead of, what they can get away with.......

I think my main point is that I don't consider 'mistakes' on a tax return cheating. (I know, I know...but nobody's perfect! :))

JK
JK
Elderberry

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion