Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:19 pm

DVD Burner wrote:
geekster wrote:Here is the sort of horse shit our elected representatives are spewing:

Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday.

Now exactly how is paying someone to sit on their ass better than paying them to work on some project that will actually add something to the economy? This Orwellian doublespeak from these people is absolutely insane. And the weirdest thing is that I believe Pelosi is actually starting to believe it.

They enable unemployment by making it an occupation.

Absolutely insane. My country has become an idiocracy.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Why would all Republicans and one democrat strike down extended unemployment.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wbTQSYa-14[/youtube]

Why is it that the Dems most times try to do what's right and Repubs tend to do the wrong thing?

Politics is for suckers.

could there have been any earmarks or pork barrel attached?
Why can't congress write a clean bill?

I'd bet it had to do with the add-ons.........and then they say:
Oh, you killed the UE benefits bill.....

maybe, just write a plaing UE benefits bill, and, it might work?

just a novel thought. IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Dogearing a bill is so common because politics is nothing more than bargaining. To get anything done in Congress you have to have X amount of votes. So to get that done, you can say I'll vote a certain way on a certain issue. But what if they don't have one but need money for new roads in Middle-of-Nowhere, USA? Well then you add a little line in and get your votes so you can get the big issue passed.

You can watch a lot of it on CSPAN (though trust me plenty happens when Congress isnt in session). CSPAN though is the channel that dares to be boring. For real fun, watch British Parliment. They can dig into each other. Very entertaining.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I understand how it works. I was just suggesting, especially on a bill like UE extension, it be clean. Most seem they could vote for that, without asking "what's in it for me".........but then again, they are politicians.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Politics is all about "me" "me" "me." Everything they do is to get elected again or to line their pockets. ::sighs::

Though personally, I feel bad for the poor sucker who had to write G.W.'s speeches. Flash cards for the president. There's a job you don't tell anyone you have.
FaeTora

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

FaeTora wrote:Politics is all about "me" "me" "me." Everything they do is to get elected again or to line their pockets. ::sighs::

Though personally, I feel bad for the poor sucker who had to write G.W.'s speeches. Flash cards for the president. There's a job you don't tell anyone you have.

or, the person writing the teleprompter for the current prez.............

yeah, politics........that's why I'm an anarchist.......in the true sense........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 pm

According to the AP, it would seem the dispute is where the money comes from:

Many Democrats see state aid and unemployment benefits as insurance against the economy sliding back into recession. And most economists say extending benefits for the unemployed is a good way to stimulate the economy since the money is immediately recycled into the economy.
"It means they've got money in their pocket for the local grocery store, for the local gas station and the local hardware store," Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said. "It means more money in local economies and more job creation."
However, many Republicans and some Democrats worry about adding to the growing national debt.
"No one's disputing the value of these very important programs," said Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass. "But we also have to have tough choices and we also need to live within our means."
Brown and other Republicans want to pay for the unemployment benefits with unspent money from last year's massive economic recovery package.
The Democrats' unemployment bill would provide up to 99 weekly unemployment checks averaging about $300 to people whose 26 weeks of state-paid benefits have run out. The benefits would be available through the end of November, at a cost of $33 billion. There are no offsets in the bill, so the cost would add to the deficit.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9GLV5T82
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:15 pm

good info Tnt.........thanks.

see, that makes some sense.........I had thought, instead of the stimulus and bailouts......they should have cut checks to each and every legal resident, in that same amount.........it would have gotten spent all over the place..........

but nooooo, lets send it to the bankers and wall st. and........well......."our biggest contributors".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:37 pm

ygmir wrote:
FaeTora wrote:Politics is all about "me" "me" "me." Everything they do is to get elected again or to line their pockets. ::sighs::

or, the person writing the teleprompter for the current prez.............

yeah, politics........that's why I'm an anarchist.......in the true sense........

Tell you the honest truth, I dont think he has a writer.

Doesn't need one.

Which should have you not worried but concerned if he is in on the game and by how much.

It's still early before anyone finds out.

So far from what I have seen is he is playing his cards perfectly.

Scaringly so. (is that a word?)

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:37 pm

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Trishntek wrote:According to the AP, it would seem the dispute is where the money comes from:

Many Democrats see state aid and unemployment benefits as insurance against the economy sliding back into recession. And most economists say extending benefits for the unemployed is a good way to stimulate the economy since the money is immediately recycled into the economy.
"It means they've got money in their pocket for the local grocery store, for the local gas station and the local hardware store," Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said. "It means more money in local economies and more job creation."
However, many Republicans and some Democrats worry about adding to the growing national debt.
"No one's disputing the value of these very important programs," said Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass. "But we also have to have tough choices and we also need to live within our means."
Brown and other Republicans want to pay for the unemployment benefits with unspent money from last year's massive economic recovery package.
The Democrats' unemployment bill would provide up to 99 weekly unemployment checks averaging about $300 to people whose 26 weeks of state-paid benefits have run out. The benefits would be available through the end of November, at a cost of $33 billion. There are no offsets in the bill, so the cost would add to the deficit.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9GLV5T82

HOLY SHIT! Trishntek did that right! :o

Is the world really ending? :shock:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 pm

ygmir wrote:good info Tnt.........thanks.

see, that makes some sense.........I had thought, instead of the stimulus and bailouts......they should have cut checks to each and every legal resident, in that same amount.........it would have gotten spent all over the place..........

but nooooo, lets send it to the bankers and wall st. and........well......."our biggest contributors".........

Agreed!

WTF is wrong with this picture?

:x

Not sure I feel comfortable with agreeing with you guys at the moment.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPt7xGx4Xo[/youtube]

Everyone should hear this at least once every 5 years or so.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby geekster » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 pm

We don't need more bread and circuses. We don't need payments to people for sitting on their ass. We can, with that amount of money, build things that actually employ people and add something to the economy when it is done.
geekster

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:23 pm

I named my cat (see my picture) after Reagan the president (his politics were black and white like my cat).
FaeTora

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm

geekster wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPt7xGx4Xo[/youtube]

Everyone should hear this at least once every 5 years or so.

For those of you that want to read the transcript of this:

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres61.html

" Idle industries have cast workers into unemployment, causing human misery and personal indignity. Those who do work are denied a fair return for their labor by a tax system which penalizes successful achievement and keeps us from maintaining full productivity. 4
But great as our tax burden is, it has not kept pace with public spending. For decades, we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend is to guarantee tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals."

And it goes on.

Thanks Geek!

Yes, lets analyze this shall we?

Every 5 years or so.

Hope all are specific when posting from here on out.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:59 pm

geekster wrote:We don't need more bread and circuses. We don't need payments to people for sitting on their ass. We can, with that amount of money, build things that actually employ people and add something to the economy when it is done.

here is the thing I have a problem with, this, that most here dont want to hear me say because I have been suttle about it, but those that think I am not........want to stay and say I am not suttle about this......

For lack of better words of the moment.

Lets just use me as an example.

Wanna stop reading? Stop reading, you will miss my point as always.

There are those of us that bring up valid points that others choose to ignore/disgaurd.
In many fields and ares.
Let's just take a technical area of issues.....for lack of better words.
I myself would rather use the word " Expertise".

IPV6.

OOOOOOO

Lets not go there and just stay on track.

There are those that bring up approaches that are "out of the box" so to speak and dumbing things down a bit, that the majority......and even here refuse to acknowledge.

The world is a strange place!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 am

FaeTora wrote:I named my cat (see my picture) after Reagan the president (his politics were black and white like my cat).

And I have a room mate that named his dog "Barack".

Really pisses me and so many around here off.

Really cool dog too.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby FaeTora » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 am

I think I just assume at this point that your always pissed off.
FaeTora

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 am

My favorite part of that speech is between about 7 minutes and around 11 minutes.

Also note that Ronald Reagan was the only President who was an economics major in college and held a degree in economics.
geekster

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:35 am

geekster wrote:My favorite part of that speech is between about 7 minutes and around 11 minutes.

Also note that Ronald Reagan was the only President who was an economics major in college and held a degree in economics.

Kissinger and Condi have PhD.'s.

Neither are the sharpest knives in the draw is as proven.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 am

FaeTora wrote:I think I just assume at this point that your always pissed off.

Nope!

Never!

This is the politics thread.

Plus, communications on the internet is something to say the least.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby goathead » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 am

DVD Burner wrote:
FaeTora wrote:I named my cat (see my picture) after Reagan the president (his politics were black and white like my cat).

Really cool dog too.

Why would it piss you off?
Does the name seem to go with the dog?
Had a cousin back in the 60's named one of his dogs Lady Bird,
She was a cool dog.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:02 am

goathead wrote:
DVD Burner wrote:

Really cool dog too.

She was a cool dog.

Guess you got a point there, tho I would have been pissed off at calling a dog Lady Bird to say the least.

Not for the same reason but then again.....maybe so.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby goathead » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 am

DVD Burner wrote:
goathead wrote:
DVD Burner wrote:

Really cool dog too.

She was a cool dog.

Guess you got a point there, tho I would have been pissed off at calling a dog Lady Bird to say the least.

Not for the same reason but then again.....maybe so.

I mean if he hates the President, and treats the dog like shit, yep you have a reason to be pissed.
Use to name some of my cows and goats after old friends, girlfriends etc.
not as any sort of insult, but the animals attitudes would just remind me of old friends, in a good way.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby can't sit still » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:35 pm

This page has a very interesting graph relating crime to incarceration.
http://maxkeiser.com/2010/07/03/if-it-q ... fare-duck/
We're locking up EVERYBODY!
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm

But, as you have demonstrated in prior posts, CSS,,,,,, how many of those U.S. incarcerations are illegal aliens? How many of those incarcerations are individuals who have been incarcerated multiple times? How many of those other countries encourage bribery and corruption in the law enforcement and legal community to avoid incarceration? Hell, I know a woman who was arrested for riding a bus without a pass in Italy. She thought she could buy it on the bus and did not understand the driver. But you know what? For 50 euro, she avoided "incarceration"!

It's not always what they say,,,, but what they DON'T say that reveals the truth!

I'm certainly not defending a system that makes drug use/possession/cultivation criminal. But I do think this graph demonstrates an extremely robust legal system which assures students of law a bright future! Job security for lawyers sickens my stomach.
Trishntek

Postby can't sit still » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:48 pm

The graphs are interesting. Why is New Zealand 3 times higher than Norway? Does it have to do with the Maori? Have you seen "Once Were Warriors" ? Czech is very civilized, Why are they higher than Turkey? In the last 15 years, crime[from the graph] leveled off but incarceration climbed 50 %. Is the prison industry prompting judges to assign more time? I wish the graphs would show the number of politicians locked up.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby geekster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Holy crap,

When is this guy running for President?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxeCg6HpEE[/youtube]
geekster

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 pm

ObamaNation
Trishntek

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I think Peggy Noonan in the WSJ finally managed to put her finger on what has been bothering me with this Congress and this President. There was this arrogant tone ringing in my ears but I couldn't find a specific example until today. Today she hit the nail square on the head when relating this story:

When Rep. Brian Baird went before his constituents in Clark County, Wash., on Aug. 18, he was met by this speech from a young man in the audience: "I heard you say that you are going to let us keep our health insurance. Well thank you! It's not your right to decide whether I keep my current plan or not, that's my decision." The constituent got cheers.

See, these arrogant bastards are going to "allow" me to keep what I have always had all along and make it seem like they are "giving" me something even if I have to pay more for it thanks to their legislation. So I am supposed to feel just dandy that my Congress is "allowing" me to "keep" what I already have. It is obvious that those arrogant pricks actually believe that anything I have is really theirs and I have things only because they "allow" me to.

And in the end it turns out that I probably *wont* be able to keep my plan. I am going to be forced to take a plan with less coverage at higher cost because of these idiots and if I don't, the IRS will take it out of my hide.

Thanks a lot, assholes!

What are you going to "let" me "keep" tomorrow? I have a feeling that it won't be as much of my salary as I keep today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... on_LEADTop
geekster

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion