costumes everytime !???

All things outside of Burning Man.

costumes everytime !???

Postby notthat1 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:06 pm

I have been apart of the BM family for about six months now. I've been to a few BM events in my area, and i'm really looking forward to my 1st Burn this year.

Question tho,... why is it that everytime there's some sort of an event, or get together, your required to wear some sort of costume?Why can't buners get together without having to dress up?

It's all cool and everything, I was just wondering why this IS, Everytime.?

This upcoming event brought on this post.
http://www.brcac.com/

peace.
Everyone has the opportunity for greatness, not fame, but greatness, for greatness only requires service--Martin Luther King Jr
notthat1

Postby Booker » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:59 am

Good question. I'm not that inclined toward the hot costume thing my own self, ah feeeeel yore pain. Or at least confusion.

Usually, people I've met don't DEMAND that others be in costume every time, but the extra personal decoration does seem to pump up the vibe. It's one way to contribute energy to an event. And many, many people just LOVE to play dress-up.

To me, if people are finding their own ways to be the art, then it's all good. The participation police are always out their patrolling, but maybe your project is to generate that energy through the way you choose to dress then work with it or transform it in some way.
Booker

Postby Tancorix » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:36 am

This was my second year at the event and unlike the first where I was simply in street clothes or wearing a sarong, I made the effort to create a costume of sorts. Depending on the weather conditions it ranged from sarongs to masks to almost a full drag look. In any event it significantly enhanced my interaction with everyone around me. It also worked great for helping protect me during the dust storms, and the drag stuff got me into conversations that my shy streak would normally keep me away from.

So while it's not mandatory it is worth a look, imho. Really it comes down to making your own experience. A costume is not required, the key thing is an open mind.
Tancorix

Right

Postby notthat1 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:40 am

As far as the BM event goes, i have on problem with that.I'm working on an idea for my costume for that. What i'm driving at are the get togethers, and partys in your area. It's ALWAYS, come in costume and it's 5 bucks, without it's 10, or whatever. *shrugs* I would just like to go hang out,talk, and just be, without the getup.

But that's me...
Everyone has the opportunity for greatness, not fame, but greatness, for greatness only requires service--Martin Luther King Jr
notthat1

See more...

Postby zanaru » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:05 pm

I like meeting people in costume as it helps you see more of their insides on their outsides. You can get a glimpse of their humor and creativity before you even speak.
zanaru

Re: See more...

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:11 pm

zanaru wrote:I like meeting people in costume as it helps you see more of their insides on their outsides. You can get a glimpse of their humor and creativity before you even speak.

Now that's burningman.
DE FACTO

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:14 pm

A costume doesn't have to be something preconceived, you can just gather a bunch of cool groovy funny weird schtuph and assemble as moved. When someone asks you what you are, make something up. They'll never know the difference

On the Playa, a costume can be something as simple as a full-body paint job + accessory

I went through two Operas wearing nothing more than body paint, maybe some beads, and boots to protect my feet. Break your own rules — that's what it's about :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:49 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:A costume doesn't have to be something preconceived, you can just gather a bunch of cool groovy funny weird schtuph and assemble as moved. When someone asks you what you are, make something up. They'll never know the difference

On the Playa, a costume can be something as simple as a full-body paint job + accessory

I went through two Operas wearing nothing more than body paint, maybe some beads, and boots to protect my feet. Break your own rules — that's what it's about :)

Definitly burningman.
:lol:

right on.
DE FACTO

Re: Right

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:25 am

notthat1 wrote: It's ALWAYS, come in costume and it's 5 bucks, without it's 10, or whatever. *shrugs* I would just like to go hang out,talk, and just be, without the getup.

A guess here. (Always ready to leap in.) It sort of prevents the dreaded "spectators" who wouldn't come out to the playa (too expensive, too much hassle) but might make it to something local and be kind of a drag. Outsider communities often make costume out of difference in their claimed spaces. It may also be a quick and easy way to imbue the event with a sort of "playa feel." I'm sure that if you worked at it, you could come up with a line of bmbs that would get you past the ticket taker. I'm also sure it would help if they knew and recognized you, and you had a few years experience to master the lingo.
BlueBirdPoof

Return to Open Discussion