Screw the Banks and Investment Firms

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby can't sit still » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:56 pm

The scenario that you contemplate is beyond scary. This isn't paintball. The idea of sighting in on some starving wretch leaves me totally cold. This isn't meant to be an admonishment. It's just my personal feelings. Self-defense is another thing entirely.
If the banks close and people are slowly starving to death, the cities will boil over. I'll be out in the rural area trying to help feed anyone who hasn't lost their humanity. I'd rather starve with friends than die in a gun battle shooting enemies. Not my style. I'm sure that SED would think me an idiot.
I've got 5,000 rounds of ammo. I hope that none of them take a human life. Did that once.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:08 pm

I concur..........Dan............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby wonderphil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:correct me if i'm wrong (im not) but wasnt it the new york times that was spoon fed the lie about WMD's by the office of the Vice pres, and then used as Proof after it was published by Judith Miller?



Miller has reacted angrily to criticism of her pre-war reporting. James C. Moore quoted her: "You know what," she offered angrily. "I was proved fucking right. That's what happened. People who disagreed with me were saying, 'There she goes again.' But I was proved fucking right."

Anyway that is all ancient history


Phil, what ARE you gonna do once the dems take control? Blame the media?
Blame the Congress? Blame Foreigners? blame Clinton?


If the dems win I would blame the stupidity of the people for voting that way and I would blame the media.
However I would support the obamanation for a period of time hoping that I was wrong.


do you see a pattern here?


yes, I see several patterns in your posts. to name a few;

you are a bigot
you think snark substitutes for logical debate and is good.
you have no logic only jokes and soundbites


you are past help, and maybe you should move to the wilds of montana and spend the next 8 years listening to Art Bell with the rest of the White Nazis of the "Inland Empire".

just a thought.


Funny I was thinking something like that about you except that in your case it would not be the white nazis it might be the black natzis. That is one reason I do not recommend that you go to Montana. In addition, there are real sheepherding men out west and with that pussy dude like NY attitude you have, those sheepherders will recognize you as a liberal sheep and worse of all a wolf lover.

Never heard of Art Bell before I googled him today. Are you "Charlie Liberal" or "Oscar" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell
wonderphil
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Postby wonderphil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
Another "theory" floatin around is that when (NOT IF) Obama gets killed the shit will really hit the fan to secure the "need" for martial law to be fully enforced. Already a number of ppl have tried to get close to Obama, eventually one will get him. Doesn't really matter what kind of nutjob does it, there are enough out there. The end result is whats important.


This is a scary theory.
I have seen or heard of no evidence of such a thing other than one of my neighbors suggested something similar (Obama to be killed before or after). I figure what my neighbor said is not likely (as we all hope). Nut cases are on all sides of the political spectrum, who knows what they will do. So government must protect politicians. I figure there may be some logic to what you say. If a white president were killed in office it would be business as usual the next day. The whites will not riot. However if Obama were killed now or later I suspect the blacks would riot and it would be an excuse to impose martial law. So if that scenario Is part of some overall plan or theory maybe these people would want Obama to be elected so as to pull off the planned coup? I hope not. I do not think so but I may be naive.
wonderphil
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Postby wonderphil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:03 pm

can't sit still wrote:I've got 5,000 rounds of ammo.



Dan,
You are ammo rich! I have less than 200 rounds for 1 shotgun, 2 pistols, 1 rifle and arrows for my 65 pound compound bow that I use for hunting.


I hope that none of them take a human life. Did that once.


never did that, hope I never have to do that.

I have an emergency food supply and lots of fresh water that I would share with neighbors if necessary
wonderphil
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Postby Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:10 pm

wonderphil wrote:
never did that, hope I never have to do that.



Not as hard as you might imagine.

JK
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12716
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby wonderphil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:19 pm

jkisha wrote:
wonderphil wrote:
never did that, hope I never have to do that.



Not as hard as you might imagine.

JK



I don't imagine it to be hard. In some case it may be all to easy. That can be a problem too.
I know what you are saying though you were a grunt in Vietnam and I was not so I never had that experience.

I would have no problem doing it if I had to -- just never had to. So I have been lucky so far.
wonderphil
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 am

wonderphil wrote:
can't sit still wrote:I've got 5,000 rounds of ammo.



Dan,
You are ammo rich! I have less than 200 rounds for 1 shotgun, 2 pistols, 1 rifle and arrows for my 65 pound compound bow that I use for hunting.


I hope that none of them take a human life. Did that once.


never did that, hope I never have to do that.

I have an emergency food supply and lots of fresh water that I would share with neighbors if necessary


I don't know how specific I'd be, publicly, about "supplies" and quantities there of............
I'll state, I feel as ready as I can be, personally...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby wonderphil » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 am

ygmir wrote:
wonderphil wrote:
can't sit still wrote:I've got 5,000 rounds of ammo.



Dan,
You are ammo rich! I have less than 200 rounds for 1 shotgun, 2 pistols, 1 rifle and arrows for my 65 pound compound bow that I use for hunting.


I hope that none of them take a human life. Did that once.


never did that, hope I never have to do that.

I have an emergency food supply and lots of fresh water that I would share with neighbors if necessary


I don't know how specific I'd be, publicly, about "supplies" and quantities there of............
I'll state, I feel as ready as I can be, personally...........


I understand that I am low on ammo, but I am going to the sporting goods store soon :wink:
wonderphil
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:24 am

i got a few questions for you WonderPhyllis...


are you a burner, and how many times have you been to the playa?


and are you going this year? and where will you be camped?


because i just GOTTA see what kind of fucking troll you actually are.


i dont hide motherfucker, you know where i am and will be, can you say the same?

probably not....something tells me you are not at burner at all, and merely a hyped up wanna be amateur political op...



guess what asshole, you're dealing with a pro.
fuck you, it's magic


Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15517
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 am

I hope there's a sumo camp next year........I'd love to see some of these conflicts resolved by Eplayans in diapers...........I don't know about the sumo suits, though, I think bare flesh is the best......gals too, well, gals especially...........we may need to decide if we want weight categories, or, just "open combat"................

watch Simon though, since the bite from that radioactive spider...............
And I'm thinking JK got to much Gamma radiation.......
Phil and his flying steel suit.........
CSS will be driving his black car with Robin, I'm sure.........

I'm to old and frail, I'll be Elmer Fudd..............
But, if someone will be Bugs, I'll "Kill the Wabbit"............

sorry, Sunday morning funnies........cartoons, that is, have always been a special time for me......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 am

ygmir wrote:I hope there's a sumo camp next year........I'd love to see some of these conflicts resolved by Eplayans in diapers...........I don't know about the sumo suits, though, I think bare flesh is the best......gals too, well, gals especially...........we may need to decide if we want weight categories, or, just "open combat"................

watch Simon though, since the bite from that radioactive spider...............
And I'm thinking JK got to much Gamma radiation.......
Phil and his flying steel suit.........
CSS will be driving his black car with Robin, I'm sure.........

I'm to old and frail, I'll be Elmer Fudd..............
But, if someone will be Bugs, I'll "Kill the Wabbit"............

sorry, Sunday morning funnies........cartoons, that is, have always been a special time for me......


Astro Pups in Avalon Village always has wrestling.

But I'm more of a lover than a fighter. But I'd be Simon's corner man.

And if it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press!

JK
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12716
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby can't sit still » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:58 am

Yes, I have 5,000 rounds. No, I'm not worried about LEO. Cops absolutely hate it when you contest their authority. The only thing that they hate even more is when they're outnumbered. It was clearly proved in Los Angeles that the cops are grossly outnumbered in an insurrection. Most LEO aren't worried about people who have guns and keep their noses clean.
If that thin blue line gets stretched too thin, the cops will be happy to have someone sane [and armed] watching their backs.
There is a line from a song by Creedence Clearwater; "300 million guns are loaded, Satan cries take aim" Not a happy thought.

The financial news has been bad. I go to Dollar collapse .com for the best links to the most accurate news. Rense has the widest coverage for news, both true and false. Dollar collapse is the best place for real financial info. They have a very high percentage of links to mainstream info.
They've been down for about 2 days with Bluehost saying that the site is under construction. Suspicious me thinks that there was too much truth leaking out. The Premier of France said that we've fallen off the edge of the abyss. That, and a few other negative comments may have been too much.
Job # one right now for GOV is to keep people/investors from reclaiming their money from the banks. The hedge funds at J P Morgan have lost 1/3 of their money.
GOV by it's very nature, is always too late to react. It's obviously TOO late to try to restore confidence.
Since power corrupts and power attracts the corrupted, our GOV consists of thoroughly corrupted people. That's why Ron Paul sticks out as such an oddity.
So, our country is run by a hierarchy with Cheney at the top. If you were an investor, would that inspire you with confidence?
I imagine Dollar Collapse is down because the Asian markets will open in a few hours. The insiders will gut the market before the suckers are out of bed.
Capitalism at it's bright and shiny best :mrgreen:
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i got a few questions for you WonderPhyllis...


are you a burner, and how many times have you been to the playa?


and are you going this year? and where will you be camped?


probably not....something tells me you are not at burner at all, and merely a hyped up wanna be amateur political op...



guess what asshole, you're dealing with a pro.


I too wonder about fil.

So are you a burner or pol op?

Only a fucking asshole would support the republicans. they have destroyed America. The loser of all losers!

about Obama being assassinated

if it turns out that the perpetrator is a white person

There's going a few white KKK corpses floating around
the bayou and I would hate to be a leader of hate group because they will just end up being targeted by WHITE people.

I do find it interesting about the military posting soldiers in case of a riot:
so interesting that I beleive our fucking FBI or CIA may know of a plot already.

And our fucking Bush-Republican government is not going to do anything to stop it.

Like 9/11 they want it to happen


AIIZ
User avatar
Apollonaris Zeus
 
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:17 am

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:I hope there's a sumo camp next year........I'd love to see some of these conflicts resolved by Eplayans in diapers...........I don't know about the sumo suits, though, I think bare flesh is the best......gals too, well, gals especially...........we may need to decide if we want weight categories, or, just "open combat"................

watch Simon though, since the bite from that radioactive spider...............
And I'm thinking JK got to much Gamma radiation.......
Phil and his flying steel suit.........
CSS will be driving his black car with Robin, I'm sure.........

I'm to old and frail, I'll be Elmer Fudd..............
But, if someone will be Bugs, I'll "Kill the Wabbit"............

sorry, Sunday morning funnies........cartoons, that is, have always been a special time for me......


Astro Pups in Avalon Village always has wrestling.

But I'm more of a lover than a fighter. But I'd be Simon's corner man.

And if it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press!

JK


Well JK,
if you're Simons corner man, and a lover, he may have to wrestle both directions.........hahhaha, hey, I think I just did some sort of double ontondre (sp?)/ pun thing.........yeehaw...........

Still though, how much fun would a morning of " Sumo and mimosa's" be?............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:51 am

there is nothing i like more than getting down in the gutter and rolling around in the muck, bitch slapping republicans.

call it a hobby of mine. I have a taste for Brutality, in an intellectual sense of the word, of course.

And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity.

We shall overcome these Idiots one day soon....and Victory shall be OURS!


neener neener poo poo.
fuck you, it's magic


Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15517
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:53 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:t

I have a taste for Brutality, in an intellectual sense of the word, of course.

And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity.

We shall overcome these Idiots one day soon....and Victory shall be OURS!


neener neener poo poo.


Isn't that a quote from Carl Marx?...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby can't sit still » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity..

AHHH, jousting with windmills................"toil in vain"
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:52 pm

ygmir wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:t

I have a taste for Brutality, in an intellectual sense of the word, of course.

And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity.

We shall overcome these Idiots one day soon....and Victory shall be OURS!


neener neener poo poo.


Isn't that a quote from Carl Marx?...........


Just the last 4 words
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Postby can't sit still » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:55 pm

The papers say that J P Morgan and Goldman Sachs don't want to participate in the bailout. Evidently the bill contains too much regulation and too much control of golden salaries.
Fucking morons are worried about their salaries. Nobody seems to get it. This is moving fast!!! The public, private and institutional capital flight is pulling out at least a $trillion a day. A $trillion doesn't sound like much but, when it's leveraged 50--1 , it takes a big bite out of liquidity.
Morgan's hedge funds have already lost 1/3rd of their capital. They are allocated $87 billion in the rescue. The retards don't want any GOV oversight.
On the lighter side, there was a demonstration against the bankers on Wall Street. Many of the demonstrators were holding signs that read; "JUMP" :mrgreen:
The obvious cure for the massive capital flight is too close access to financial institutions. Tomorrow and tuesday, there are huge GOV bond auctions to fund some of the latest legislation. If they fail, China may start actions that crash the dollar.
Mondays are always ugly for the financials. Send in the clowns :lol:
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:t

I have a taste for Brutality, in an intellectual sense of the word, of course.

And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity.

We shall overcome these Idiots one day soon....and Victory shall be OURS!


neener neener poo poo.


Isn't that a quote from Carl Marx?...........


Just the last 4 words


I didn't know it was Marx that said "neener neener poo poo".

JK
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12716
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:08 pm

jkisha wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:t

I have a taste for Brutality, in an intellectual sense of the word, of course.

And there is nothing finer than Victory, especially over the Forces of Stupidity.

We shall overcome these Idiots one day soon....and Victory shall be OURS!


neener neener poo poo.


Isn't that a quote from Carl Marx?...........


Just the last 4 words


I didn't know it was Marx that said "neener neener poo poo".

JK

I think he was translating it.
the actual quote was:
Neenerski, neenerski, poopov, poopov...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:46 am

Gut Morgen!

well, the footsie is off by about 5% as well as the Dax.

expect the same today on Fall St.


maybe we'll slip below 10,000, an emotional and psychological water mark.

How cool is THAT?
fuck you, it's magic


Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15517
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:15 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

maybe we'll slip below 10,000


What do you mean, maybe! :x :cry:

I remember years ago when I first got interested in stocks, having a conversation with friends and we were all speculating whether the dow would ever hit the 2000 mark.

I sure hope we don't have to have that same conversation again.

JK
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12716
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby can't sit still » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 am

"The California Public Employees' Retirement System, the pension fund used to pay the retirements of millions of government employees, has lost $24.9 billion over the last three months. The 10.4 percent loss is less than the Standard & Poor's 500, which dropped 13.6 percent in that time."
These are old numbers that don't reflect the latest slide.

"If the losses continue, California taxpayers could be faced with demands to make up shortfalls in funding the giant pension system. On Monday alone, a dive in the stock markets wiped out $7.8 billion of the pension fund's investments."
The Govenator already wants $7 Billion from FED GOV. I somehow doubt that CALPERS is going to get any cash. Since Ca usually votes Dem, I don't see bush taking the initiative on sending billions to us. This would leave GOV open to demands from 18 other states that are skint.
It all goes back to bush and the neos. They inflate the money supply at 19% a year. Banks can't make any money loaning at 6%, even with compound interest.
In the micro scale, banks don't loan to people without jobs [finally]
In the macro scale, banks don't loan to states who don't have earning ability.
Since Californians voted down the "Live Within Our Means" initiative, the banks have no interest in making loans. We'll just piss it away in pork and at the public food trough.

The Govenator wants to pay state employees with IOUs. THAT should be interesting.
Let's see if Ca GOV taps into the CAFR money out of desperation. Desperation is certainly sure to pay a visit.
In the game of musical chairs, the bankers have taken all the chairs away. GOV has eradicated much of the safety net [food aid programs]
GOV in their infinite stupidity is trying to get people to spend lots of money. The fact that 1 million jobs have been lost in the last few months does not seem to enter their cash-flow calculations. It seems to be a given that if GOV is involved in something, it will turn to shit :( :(
Considering that Cheney/bush are at the helm of the US ship of state, "The Kleptocracy",,,,,,, we're screwed :lol:
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAR5950JA0[/youtube]
fuck you, it's magic


Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 15517
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby can't sit still » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:05 am

The FED has now said that they can loan money directly to states and companies. Since the FED is just a collection of rich bankers, it will be interesting to see just who they loan to. They will undoubtedly loan to companies that they would like to own,,,, hoping for a default. But, will they loan to states? Since a state is not a money-making enterprise, I suspect that Rockefeller wont cough up a penny.
Any repayment would depend on taxpayer-approved tax increases,,, not a good bet.
Since 78% of the economy depends on the consumer and the consumer has closed his wallet, there will be a lot of companies going under. Rockefeller [FED] is allowed to create money from thin air. He can loan this free money to any company in the hope that they default. He just has to make the FED money senior to any other debt and he gets the company for pennies.
All of this freshly created money is extremely inflationary. As the dollar becomes more worthless, this is effectively a wage cut for Americans. Rockefeller not only gets the company for pennies, the inflation that he created gets him a workforce that is earning global wages. Voila!! He wins on both sides because his new company is globally competitive.
A suspicious person would say that Rockefeller engineered the derivatives fiasco knowing that it would lock up the credit markets. The Rockefeller printing press would be the lender of last resort because he had the only printing press. He prints free money to buy everything in sight.
A few years ago, congress gave approval to the states to sell their public works, highways, water systems, etc Rockefeller might not want to loan to states but, I'm sure that he'd be willing to steal the infrastructure.
Ron Paul introduced a bill to abolish the FED. If people had a wider vision, they would see that it is necessary.
If Rockefeller is allowed to seize everything with freshly created money, he will need a police state to keep the freshly-impoverished under control.This would be the end of America as an ideal.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

WARNING: DEFLATION AHEAD

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Decline and Fall
by Nicholas von Hoffman


This is one of those days your financial adviser never told you about.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped
below 10,000, taking with it the savings of millions. How the money
runs out and goes who knows where!

Below 10,000 is below a magic line, the line the hard-times barbarians
were not supposed to breach. Since the Dow ascended the heights above
the line in 2004, it has been an article of faith that it would not go
below 10,000 again in our lifetimes.

The price of stocks is not the only thing that is going down. The price
of everything is heading south. Corn is down 46 percent.
Oil is down 39 percent, which means you will see the price at the pump
continue to slide. But take no solace from that; there will be less
money with which to buy gasoline.

Gold, which is supposed to be the last and safest refuge when trouble
storms across the economy, is no haven of protection in this hurricane.
People who bought gold are beginning to wish they hadn't, as its price
tumbles along with the others.

This is deflation, a word with which we may become as familiar as we are
with inflation. Deflation usually comes as a result of the bursting of
very large inflationary bubbles, with resulting strings of bankruptcies,
foreclosures and failures. The last major deflation in the United States
occurred during the Depression, when prices dropped much as they have
begun to do now.

Deflation is a dragon, a wealth-destroyer, a fire-breathing eater of
money. As it drives down prices, wealth simply vanishes as an estimated
$3 trillion of people's investments have already disappeared over this
period of decline and fall.

American International Group (AIG), the recipient of an $85 billion loan
from the government, just a few days ago has already run through $61
billion of it. That money was supposed to be a "bridge loan" to keep the
insurance giant afloat while it sold off enough assets to right itself.
But in a raging deflation, when everybody is calling everybody else up
and demanding collateral on their loans, money disappears faster than a
conjuror makes a rabbit vanish into a hat.

Hundreds of billions that were there last night can be gone in the
morning. Hence the $700 billion over which Congress and the country
agonized last week may soon go flying up the chimney before it can have
an effect on the price avalanche, which is picking up momentum and
thundering down the inflationary mountain peaks at us.

Deflation is not only a destroyer of wealth, it is also a creator of
unemployment, which we shall see a lot of in the coming months. With a
dismal holiday shopping season expected, with people scared to spend
money and determined to hoard it just as the big financial institutions,
which will not lend even to their best customers, we are tanking.

Thankfully we have a few brakes--such as bank account deposit
insurance. We have an unemployment compensation system up and running
and other such assists for people injured by deflation. But we have not
found the tools to stop the downward fall itself.

Besides the $700 billion authorized by Congress, the Federal Reserve
Board has been pitching even larger amounts into the nation's financial
system with the purpose of making money freely available again. These
staggering amounts get shoveled into the maw and in a trice they are
consumed with nothing left but the ashes of bankruptcies.

To stop the deterioration Ben Bernanke, the Board's chairman, is using
every device known to national bankers and new wrinkles as well, but
nothing has worked. All the flawed, phony, bloated loans of these last
years are being called in and found to be uncollectible. In enveloping
disaster the good loans are turning into bad loans. Nobody is sure what
is solid or safe.

Faced with a similar crisis in the early 1930s, President Franklin
Roosevelt took the country off the gold standard and even devalued the
dollar by 40 percent. Dramatic though these steps were, they did not
seem to have had much of an effect on prices.

But all bad things must end. Sometime in the coming days or weeks or
months--let's hope not years--a point of financial and emotional
exhaustion will be reached, a price floor will then be established and
we can begin to climb back out of the hole.



This article can be found on the web at:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081020/howl2
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
User avatar
cowboyangel
 
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Postby can't sit still » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Cowboy, That is a great article. I won't argue with you on semantics but here is another article that talks about disinflation. It's quite interesting;
http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread ... #post52281
bush has his own lack of qualities. Bernanke apparently has his;
"The Fed's own website has a study showing why the TAF will not work but Bernanke keeps banging his head against a brick wall anyway. Bernanke might be advised to read the Fed's own report." So What Does Bernanke Do?
Answer: Double the TAF to spur lending." The FED has been throwing hundreds of billions at the Term Auction Facility.
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. ... demic.html
Problem is, there just isn't any honest capital. That's why banks are in such a merger fervor. They absolutely need access to the accounts of depositors.
Americans spent 107% of their income so savings aren't real plentiful. The Irish spent 142% of their income so it's even tighter for them.
The alphabet soup of derivatives is coming apart. This thursday the world will discover how much counterparty exposure will implode from the Lehman Bros meltdown. Because of re-insurance, the poison is everywhere. The worst case scenario is that the mistrust that is all-pervasive in instruments,,, moves into currency notes.
This has already happened to a small extent for the Euro.
The dollar has been the beneficiary of all this mistrust. While the US has inflated our currency 19%, the numbers for Russia and China are 49% and 84% respectively. There are a dozen countries that are worse off than the US.
The world put on a big growth spurt because of cheap credit. Now comes the hangover.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still
 
Posts: 4645
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:05 pm

so, with deflation, is cash the best to have?........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27201
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests