in search of inspiration

All things outside of Burning Man.

in search of inspiration

Postby tzimisce1313 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:38 am

i have rednetly lost my inspiratiopn to write... i was wondering where do all of you find your inspiration?
tzimisce1313

Re: in search of inspiration

Postby Blenderhead » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:54 am

tzimisce1313 wrote:i have rednetly lost my inspiratiopn to write... i was wondering where do all of you find your inspiration?

rednetly is a common writer-blocker. I suggest a therapy sililar to mine: take a single space of 60 seconds and dwell upon what you see before you, then scribble madly and blow a kiss to the sky.

and then say, "fuck!!!"

and then post it here because... oh shit gotta pee...bye!
Blenderhead

Postby Don Muerto » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:23 am

<snort!>
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby alice » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:25 am

from people like you.
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby Jordan 10-E » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:39 pm

Usually strong feelings of pain or pleasure will do it. I also think that seeing (or reading) the works of others can help get some ideas flowing. You can also take a basic concept you see in your minds eye and let your brain freely play with it. If I come up with any more I will let you know.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Wind_Borne » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:45 pm

Many authors/artists have sought inspiration in intoxication.
Some peruse the newspapers for ideas (maybe the obits).
Others contemplate the lifes of their friends.
The surrealists used to take long walks in search of serendipity.

I say:
Fret not the inspiration, but simply write.
Write for the pleasure of it.
Write to awaken inspiration.
Write as if your life depended on it.
Perhaps it does.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington
Wind_Borne

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:48 pm

I get really inspired by looking at art that Really sucks. It works even better if someone else tells me how great it is. I'll think " I can do better" and then I see if I can. I also like to work outside my usual Genre, like I will take a genre that I find cheesy or stupid, and see if I can make something that I like in that genre. This is how I got into Psycadellic art and it's my best work yet. Or make a set of parameters ( sometimes arbitrary) and then stick within them ( making original art that I can sell for the price of a concert ticket instead of making prints) Also, I go back to the last thing that I really enjoyed doing. I also get inspired by wandering around a city aimlessly for a day or so. Dollar stores are HUGE sourced of inspiration for me. Also, when I am realy inspied I keep a " journal" ( meaning I write it down on a peice of something somewhere and forget about it ) of Ideas i want to explore when I have the time.

Oh, and I ALMOST forgot the most important One: I get inspiered by geting ANGRY. ( hence the name, now you know) If something makes me really mad I get inspired to do something about it.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby SED » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:05 am

I can always get momentum by doing simple descriptions of the natural world around me, though I think any descriptive writing would work the same way. Changing the perspetive helps to, for example writing about common objects, animals and places, etc. as though you'd never seen them before.

Also, almost everything I write starts out as a personal letter to any number of people.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby drowned_saved » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:35 am

if i listen closely to the words spilling out of my mouth, i'm nearly always convinced to sit quietly and write instead.
drowned_saved

Postby _tears_ » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:40 pm

I have had this problem many times, for me i know it is when my mind and my life is so cloged with the world i need to get away and i need to be alone. I go camping for one night or two on the beach or deep in the woods i take my trusty pen and paper i camp, i reflect, i write.

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:32 pm

I write when I have something to say.

I write when I don't have something to say.

Writing when you don't have something to say helps you to write better when you do have something to say.

I just pray there's not a special place in hell for my having praciced this line of reasoning on so many folks.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:55 pm

I'm not trying to be funny or gross, this is the truth...

Having a really nice, cleansing bowel movement usually gets my creative juices flowing (so to speak).
Chai Guy

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:02 pm

I'm going to spam this thread with my plug to go see my shameless self promotion thread, because I would like to add that nothing inspires me more than being broke and on a deadline! Plus, I think the Ik event would be good for anyone seeking inspiration. They inspire me to no end.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Patience » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:53 am

tzimisce--

My advice: Don't search for inspiration. Just live well. If you are actually a writer (some people are, and some people just want to be), the inspiration will come. All you have to do is experience life, let it breathe through you. Worrying about what you should write, how to "get inspired," whatever, is a holding pattern, a limbo. Want inspiration? The best thing you can do is forget about it and go do something inspiring.

That said, I agree with Badger--You can keep writing even though you're not inspired. Most likely you'll throw it all out later, but it's important to keep the instrument in tune...
It's not that I hate you. It's just that I'm a much better person than you.
Patience

Postby drowned_saved » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:07 am

Patience wrote:it's important to keep the instrument in tune...

remember that well, masturbators of the world. self-love needn't grind to a halt just because you find yourself in a relationship of some sort. in fact, self-love shouldn't really "grind" under any circumstances...keep it quick and loose, kids.

and to ensure that the thread doesn't begin to drift...
try masturbating to dissolve whatever it is that blocks your efforts at writing.

sometimes we have to fuck these things away, even if it's only in our heads.
drowned_saved

Postby Patience » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:56 pm

So you want to fuck things that are in your head?
It's not that I hate you. It's just that I'm a much better person than you.
Patience

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:02 pm

Chai Guy wrote:I'm not trying to be funny or gross, this is the truth...

Having a really nice, cleansing bowel movement usually gets my creative juices flowing (so to speak).

:lol:

I could have used this read last night.
DE FACTO

Postby Angry Butterfly » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:05 pm

you are so weird De Facto. :D
I was serious, check out the IK event for inspiration, Their events inspire the hell out of me, After I met Vibrata Chromadoris, I went home and worked for like 24 hours straight, and it was the good kind of inspiration, where the art was so GOOD I wanted to make art, which as you can tell from my other posts is rare for me. V is one of the most rightiously inspiring people I have ever met , her work is like breathtakingly beautiful and simple at the same time. Actualy all the artists doing this event are huge positive inspirations for me. Andreas made me realize blacklight didnt have to be "cheesy" and the other one is someone I have never met but I have followed the work for a while.
viewtopic.php?p=30051
Angry Butterfly

Return to Open Discussion