This day in history...

All things outside of Burning Man.

This day in history...

Postby madmatt » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:47 am

1877 Thomas Edison invented the phonograph.

Historychannel.com - "The American inventor announces his invention of the phonograph, a way to record and play back sound. Edison stumbled on one of his great inventions--the phonograph--while working on a way to record telephone communication at his laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey. His work led him to experiment with a stylus on a tinfoil cylinder, which, to his surprise, played back the short song he had recorded, "Mary had a little lamb.""

1783 - First balloon flight.
Historychannel.com - "French physician Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier and François Laurent, the marquis d' Arlandes, make the first untethered hot-air balloon flight, flying 5.5 miles over Paris in about 25 minutes. Their cloth balloon was crafted by French papermaking brothers Jacques-Étienne and Joseph-Michel Montgolfier, inventors of the world's first successful hot-air balloons."
Last edited by madmatt on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmatt

Postby KellY » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:00 pm

Oh merciful God, let mine be the last and only reply to this. Kill this thread now.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby madmatt » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:05 pm

I couldn't figure out how to kill the thread so I tried to post something a little more useful and less blasphemous.
madmatt

I bet I can kill it.

Postby DE FACTO » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:08 pm

I wont have to say anything in this thread and I'm sure it will fall to the bottom out of spite.
DE FACTO

Postby Concept2w » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:36 pm

Actually, the 21st is an errony on the calendar.

I have nothing concrete to prouve it but my experience does.
Now is forever.
Concept2w

This day.... the word vodka means water... I am Ruskie!!!

Postby Imagigrl » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:47 am

:oops:

Quoting The Jen <da_jenerator@hotmail.com> a/k/a Imagigrl from email sent to her bestest buddy, Manson:

Ok, ok, ok, ok....
So waking up in a pool of vomit is bad???
Why must it smell like cheese corn??
I've got one thing to say about waking up in a pool of vomit...
I don't remember when I left the porceline (sp?) god.
You wake up, your face is stuck to the pillow for some reason, as you peel
your left cheek off the pillow you notice substance.... then smell..... then
realization.
Oh my fucking god, Jesus H. Christ, in a...
Like a cat what did a big doodie on the flo'... I cover up my big doodie with
anything I can find. Two bed sheets, one puke encrusted pillow case, and two groovy Brady Bunch sleeping bags (although unscathed from the entire putrid fiasco).
Hoping to get the barfy stank outta my nose... eventually... oh, ok, ok, ok,... and outta my right hand finger nails... yup... ewwwwwwwww!

Alcohol is gooooooooooooooood! Wodka even better!!! Good morning kind people!!! ;) Love you, J.

[[[[[[DA_JENERATOR]]]]]] a/k/a Imagigrl

And thusly, Manson made his reply:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!!! Shit babe! Hey, it coulda been worse. It coulda been feces! "What are feces....Baby mice.....Awwwwwe! :)"

And ya handled it so cat-like with yer unconscious (sp?) coverin technique!

Heh I feel for ya babe....I've puked not bein able to get outta bed fast enough, but to lie there in it :(

Cheeeeezy Corn would taste reeeeeeeal gooooood right now! Heh It could be worse and smell like creamed corn. Wish I woulda been there to help ya clean up like you have me. Was Juj layin by you?.....maybe he helped ya cover it up.

I woke up at 8 this mo'nin and had fire shootin outta my ass from all the
sausage and jalepeno pizza I had last night. I fell back asleep and didn't
wake my lazy ass up till about an hour ago. I gotta meet with that guy about the website at 2.

I'm gonna give you a quick call to see how yer feeewin.

Love yeeeeeeew!! -M.

What the hell are friends for if to help each other in time of need. I need more friends sos I can give more. Perhaps a shot of wodka would help!!!

Read on for some serious bits:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Ruskie friend, Artem, viewed this film for the first time last night. He had never heard of the film until he came to Colorado, but the overall message he picked up from it rang very as the bells of Notre Dame through its cathedral walls.

They say sex and violence sells better than love and peace. I guess if we see, hear, and read such bullshit enough and repeatedly so to the point that it becomes subliminal in our minds then we begin to actually believe in such crap.

I say try the other route... enough and repeatedly so then we'll see what people really want. I am breathing, eating, drinking, and giving love and peace for myself, the future posterity of America, and the harmony of the world. I am releasing the fear and opening up my heart.

The streets are paved with blood we mistake for gold. We point the finger at everyone else as if it were their fault alone. We take what is not ours, we don't share, we deficate where others sleep, we let others' wounds bleed them slowly to death, and we send distruction overland and overseas so others will have to know our misery. We profess open gates while enforcing the barriers of immigration; ripping lives apart with every restriction and deportation. What has the word FREEDOM come to mean here? The American Dream is a nightmare. "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" -John Lennon [featured in the controversial film Bowling For Columbine... sadly and regrettably, the definitive documentary of our troubled American lives.

Break the locks off your doors and go outside people! The world awaits you with warm and open arms. The world is not your whore to exploit and abuse for your sake and no other. The world is your child to foster for good means to a balanced and joyous life. What makes you so sure eveyone else are just out to get you? Do you not think they too are afraid? You've been hiding under your security blanket so long you forgot what it felt like to be out on the playground with your friends and neighbors. We must reverse the damage we have done. Keep your head up no matter the resistance against the flow of universal love, peace, and united neighborhood ...that which is our true destiny, America.

When was the last time you had a block party or invited a neighbor over to dinner? It was a long long time ago when I experienced a block party. It is not often enough that I experience a friendly smile or "Hello" from a passer by. "Paranoia big destroya..." Ozzie O./Black Sabbath

Given all of this, I still believe. One day America will stop harboring fear and come together with the rest of the world. Love to all, Imagigrl
Imagigrl

Postby madmatt » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:04 pm

Wha?
madmatt

Return to Open Discussion