metaphors for war...

All things outside of Burning Man.

metaphors for war...

Postby thoughtsurfer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:01 am

Okay, you brilliant peeps! Express yourself...
What would you say is a metaphor for war?
thoughtsurfer

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:29 am

Okay, I reached for the most unlikely thing I could think of off-the-cuff and tried to make it fit.

Bubble gum: The sweet flavor doesn't last and it's hard to get rid of. But that really doesn't do justice to the destructive aspects. ON the other hand, I'm now contemplating Post Bubble-gum Stress Disorder.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby thoughtsurfer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:40 am

Good one! I'll expand on it...how about "abc gum" (already been chewed)
it's hard to swallow, leaves a bad taste in your mouth...sticks to your shoe...hmmm...what else?
thoughtsurfer

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:44 am

No nutricional value, perhaps. . .
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Isotopia » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am

That's a pretty confusing question.

If one thinks about it there are NO metaphors for war.

None.
Isotopia

Postby thoughtsurfer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:27 pm

Really?
How about cancer? The battle of white blood cells attacking "abnormal/foreign" cells?
(It could be said that war-mongering humans are a cancer on this planet...)
Or
Animals fighting for territory...

Maybe war in terms of "irony" would be more appropriate?
(Our fight for peace)
Your thoughts, Iso?
thoughtsurfer

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:36 pm

My thought is that anything can be a metaphor for anything else, in the hands of a skilled metapher.

Although, there is a part of me that finds looking for metaphors for war uncomfortable--therefore bubblegum.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby SED » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:56 pm

This current war is a metaphor for so many other realities. It's dizzying. Would like to continue this, but would take up too much space. Am also drunk.

PM me in the daylight for details.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby Isotopia » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:13 am

I guess I'm just of the mind that war as a metaphor for other things (sex, relationships, corporate business practices, etc., etc.) that there's no real salient need for metaphors for war itself. It's such a basic and fundamental act of our species (archtypal?) that there's no need culturally, linguistically or psychologically to even try assigning such a thing to it.
Isotopia

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:51 am

Isotopia wrote:If one thinks about it there are NO metaphors for war.

What are chess, hockey, the quatrain and soccer, then?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby thoughtsurfer » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:30 pm

maybe I should have been more specific....like asking for a metaphor for our "war-lord"....

here's a classic, perfectly visual one:

http://www.artofresistance.org/bush_mosaic/
thoughtsurfer

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:11 am

Isotopia wrote: It's (war's) such a basic and fundamental act of our species (archtypal?) that there's no need culturally, linguistically or psychologically to even try assigning such a thing to it.

I hope you are wrong. I hope that war is an artifact that is more of the neolithic revolution than our "true nature." Although, it's true that hunter-gatherers had some pretty savage conflicts. I hope we can learn to outgrow war. I remember some years back somebody released some sort of study (statistical?) that claimed that once the population had too many young men, that war was much more likely--and the politics was just an excuse. On the other hand--competition for scarce resources. Another study I read about specifically linked violent death of channel island native americans to drought, based on statistical corrolations of skeletal remains.

So POOF! It's frustrating, ugly and a meat-grinder.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby joel the ornery » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:14 pm

War is a great white shark seeking its next meal.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:44 am

Poof again!

At least I recognize the Great White Shark's right to exist.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:13 am

Dude/tte. I am so cranking up Master of Puppets.
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DE FACTO » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:33 am

War is playing "The downward spiral" in a church.
DE FACTO

Check it...

Postby thoughtsurfer » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:57 pm

"Dude/tte. I am so cranking up Master of Puppets."

Hey, Bob (and anyone else interested)
check out www.bushin30seconds.com

Goto "idea swap" and see Michael Moore's idea for a 30 second "Bush" commercial. This is a great forum for burners to check out and participate in. Excellent opportunity for any independent film-makers out there.
thoughtsurfer

Postby joel the ornery » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:43 am

BlueBirdPoof wrote:
Isotopia wrote: It's (war's) such a basic and fundamental act of our species (archtypal?) that there's no need culturally, linguistically or psychologically to even try assigning such a thing to it.

I hope you are wrong. I hope that war is an artifact that is more of the neolithic revolution than our "true nature." Although, it's true that hunter-gatherers had some pretty savage conflicts. I hope we can learn to outgrow war. I remember some years back somebody released some sort of study (statistical?) that claimed that once the population had too many young men, that war was much more likely--and the politics was just an excuse. On the other hand--competition for scarce resources. Another study I read about specifically linked violent death of channel island native americans to drought, based on statistical corrolations of skeletal remains.

So POOF! It's frustrating, ugly and a meat-grinder.

I don't believe war and/or violence is an artifact of some neolithic revolution nor our "true nature".

War is an unpleasant reality... and mankind has been in some state of war (preparing, planning, resourcing, executing) for a damn long time. I don't see a radical change in mankind's violent behavior for the future.

On a related note... those nations and people that believe if you wait long enough... a problem will solve itself. In my humble opinion... you must be high... and please share your drugs with the rest of us.

Regarding great white shark's right to exist... go tell shark fin soup eaters.

War is that destructive hyperactive child of which only momentary control is attained and chaos is the rule of order.
joel the ornery

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:16 pm

Joel
I don't like your tone.
I don't like your straw man.
I don't like your ad hominum attack either, but here's my best answer. No drugs, just deliberate hope. On a personal level, after 20+ years of fighting major depression, I have discovered that I cannot allow myself to indulge in cheap cynicism very often. Besides, I get no actual points if I correctly guess that war still exists 5000 years from now, so I may as well spare myself the aggrivation. On a broader level, if everyone decides war is in inevitable--self fulfilling proficy. If enough people question that, other, more interesting options open up.

And it's the soup fin shark that's endangered by soup fin soup. The great white has other problems.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby SED » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:24 am

Try reading Stephen Pinker's The Blank Slate for some well researched thought on the subject of war.

Regarding Joel the Ornery, he fucking said he was ornery, didn't he? What do want from him? Sensitive, informed insight? Go get fucked!
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby joel the ornery » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:51 am

BlueBirdPoof wrote:Joel
I don't like your tone.
I don't like your straw man.
I don't like your ad hominum attack either, but here's my best answer. No drugs, just deliberate hope. On a personal level, after 20+ years of fighting major depression, I have discovered that I cannot allow myself to indulge in cheap cynicism very often. Besides, I get no actual points if I correctly guess that war still exists 5000 years from now, so I may as well spare myself the aggrivation. On a broader level, if everyone decides war is in inevitable--self fulfilling proficy. If enough people question that, other, more interesting options open up.

And it's the soup fin shark that's endangered by soup fin soup. The great white has other problems.

As if my tone were your concern... sheesh, "Lighten up, Francis!"
Straw man? you lost me on that one and please don't bother explaining.

Regarding your personal struggle with mental health... share that information with someone that cares, would you?

No war in the future. Sure, I hope as civilization we overcome our warrior past, yet I also live in the present and prepare for the worst.

As for other options to war... tiddly-winks at 50 paces for regional conflicts? naked olive oil twister to decide the fate of a nation?

War is like ignorance.... it just keeps popping up in the most unlikely places.

sincerely,

Joel
Ornery by choice
joel the ornery

Return to Open Discussion