38 gay dude new to SF seeks friends / psychonauts

All things outside of Burning Man.

38 gay dude new to SF seeks friends / psychonauts

Postby psychonaut » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:09 am

A 38 yo gay dude just arrived back in America after many years of work and adventures in Asia as a publisher and dotcomer seeks new friends in San Francisco who would be interested in exploring entheogenic experiences together. I am new here, so really happy to meet new people, even though currently temping a graveyard shift Tues-Sat, which pretty much kills weekends, except Sun and Mon. Any fellow seekers / psychonauts out there open to "fellow traveling"? If so, I'd love to hear from you at gbhongkong@yahoo.com (an address a little misleading, perhaps, as I am neither Asian nor any longer in Hong Kong!). Thanks.
Last edited by psychonaut on Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychonaut

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:18 pm

In other words, you're looking for a drug connection and safe locations in the city you just moved to...?

Is this what you're looking for, or is there more?
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby TestesInSac » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:13 pm

What's yer sign? LEO?
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:19 pm

TestesInSac wrote:What's yer sign? LEO?

<snort!>
Zane5100

Postby Don Muerto » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:33 pm

TestesInSac wrote:What's yer sign? LEO?

Who is going to clean the beer off my monitor?!?!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Don Muerto

Postby SED » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:14 pm

I'll seriously consider hooking you up with some drugs and hummer or two if only you'll change your handle to 38 Year Old Gay Dude.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby Badger » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:08 am

There goes MY fucking monitor....
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic II » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:23 am

I'm sure there are hundreds of other places to find this kind of companion...but I seriously doubt you'll find them here.

At first I thought everyone was just flaming you for no reason...but then after going back and rereading the thread, I think their on to something here.

I'd seriously think about looking elsewhere for what you want.
Kinetic II

Postby herself » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:43 am

You guys are being too hard on this poor person. Who says he's looking to buy drugs? Since when are burners so negative toward other burners, which I think this guy sounds like?

Hey, New Guy, I gave up the acid a while back and at 43 don't spend much time psychonauting any more, but I used to enjoy it a lot. Good luck. (Also might want to check activity partners on craigslist since this bunch seems to have a stick up its ass.)

best
harriet
herself

Postby TestesInSac » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:44 am

Eh, it was that fellow traveller thing. Raises my capitalist hackles every time.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:12 pm

http://www.assacon.com/
It's right in your town!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Don Muerto » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:21 pm

Hey psychonaut, I don't think any of this ribbing was other than good natured tomfoolery. Sometimes this place can get a little rough on a Friday night.

I think you will find a very active entheogen community in and around SF. I would start at the forums HERE and do a quick search for yahoo groups as well as one at tribe.net using the entheogen(s) you are are interested in. I know there is an SF salvia group at the least.
Don Muerto

Postby TestesInSac » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:08 pm

tomfoolery

<snicker>
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby Don Muerto » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:40 pm

I thought you might like that.
Don Muerto

Postby Zane5100 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:10 pm

So Tom, do you fool around...?
Zane5100

Postby SED » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:12 pm

[quote="Don Muerto"]Hey psychonaut, I don't think any of this ribbing was other than good natured tomfoolery. Sometimes this place can get a little rough on a Friday night.

So how about it, 38 YO Gay Dude?
SED

Thanks for the leads, thoughts, ribs, and digs!

Postby psychonaut » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:36 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Looks like it is going to be tough to make friends in SF, especially with these interests (not that that is required of my friends), but I will keep trying.
psychonaut

Hey SED!

Postby psychonaut » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:43 pm

I am not sure why my being gay is so fascinating, but I have at least changed the title of my first announcement to make it clearer so, what?, the homophobes can avoid me? As for changing my handle, hey I like "Psychonaut" but it reflects my interest in exploring the nature of reality, whereas being 38 and gay, is just what I am - the cards dealt me in life by the Great Spirit. Thanks for the thoughts!
psychonaut

Postby SED » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:58 am

Hey 38 YO Gay Dude,

I changed my mind and now I'd like you to be Pumpkin Joe Eucalyptus.

It's got a certain ring to it, and it's a sure bet to throw the homophobes off your trail.
SED

Hmm, let me think...

Postby psychonaut » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:13 am

Naaaah Dude :D
psychonaut

Pumpkin Joe Eucalyptus

Postby Jane Eric » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:37 pm

Heeeeeeeyyy......
Jane Eric

Postby TestesInSac » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:43 pm

Niagra!
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Re: Thanks for the leads, thoughts, ribs, and digs!

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:02 pm

psychonaut wrote:Thanks for your thoughts guys. Looks like it is going to be tough to make friends in SF, especially with these interests (not that that is required of my friends), but I will keep trying.

Dude, I was serious, the altered states conference is awesome, I should know, I helped organise it, I am not however responsible for the HORRIBLE ACRONYM! ( FYI the guy who dreamed up the conference and made it a reality went to BROWN, anyone farmiliar with the ways of BROWN knows about the horrible acronym thing) . and it should not be too hard to make friends with your intrests in san francisco...I dont know why people are being such dorks!

YES! ANGRY BUTTERFLY SEZ YOU ARE BEING DORKS! Be nice!

San Francisco is like heaven for a "38 year old gay dude" either we are hanging out in different places (IE you are in San Francisco Wyoming and I am in San Francisco CA) or you havent been outside since you got here. I will be posting about a black light art show as soon as I get the rest of the details and there will be plenty of psyconauts there, one of whom is an EXTREMELY HOT (at least by hetero standards) Psyconaut about your age. You cant throw a rock in san francisco without hitting someone who is gay and/or into psycadelics! Make a t shirt that says "38 year old gay dude", walk down castro with a big smile and you will make um, "friends" pretty quick! I have this friend about your age who throws a "Gay Dinner" every sunday on Treasure Island if you are interested, the host went to a rave last night so I wouldn't advise going TODAY, but it happens every week.. PM me for the address, *unless* the paranoia on this list is really justified any you ARE a dea agent in which case: DIE NARK DIE! ( mandatory internet paranoia )

:wink:

Also there is an ayuaska club in town.

THESE WERE MAENT TO BE SEPARATE STATEMENTS! SEE EXELENT CLARIFICATION FROM MEURTO BELOW:

they chopped down the trumpet flower vine in peoples park just before you got here. Some teenagers ODed on it, if you ask me, adolecence is not the time to be fucking with your kundalini, but what do I know?
Last edited by Angry Butterfly on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Don Muerto » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:20 pm

Ayahuasca and Brugmansia (trumpet flower) are two vastly different things, and I hope Angry Butterfly's likening the two are a simple mistake and not indicative of what an ayahuasca club is up to.

Ayahuasca is a classic tryptamine (DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, MDMA, etc.) high based upon DMT. It's actually a mixture of two (or more) plants, one of which must be a powerful MAO inhibitor. The traditional ayahuasca is Banisteriopsis caapi vine and Psychotria Viridis leaves, but Mimosa Hostilis rootbark can be substitutued for the Viridis and many things can substitute for the Caapi which plays the role of the MAO inhibitor. What you are doing with this is orally taking DMT and using the MAO inhibitor to make it psychoactive via this ingestion route. The results are longer lived than smoked DMT which are quite brief.

The many Brugmansia species, including Datura, are Anticholinergenic Deliriants and have a totally different, and quite dangerous, psychoactive compound called scopolamine in them. Do not toy with these plants. Read your ass off first, and if you decide to contact the powers within them, make damn sure you have a 3 day babysitter who is larger than you.
Last edited by Don Muerto on Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Muerto

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:22 pm

Where do you find out about all this stuff?
Kinetic II

Postby Don Muerto » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:24 pm

The Vaults of Erowid are a great place to start.
Don Muerto

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mureto... I only put the two together because they are both psycoactives people use (and grow) in this area, NOT because they have anything to do with eachother! Pretty irresponsible of me to even use them in the same paragraph! LOL!

And the 3 day babysitter who is bigger than you is good avice! I knew a guy who tripped on the aforementioned people's park plant and had a conversation with a dead friend: Who was actualy a PARKING METER!

On the other hand, I have been encouraged to take Ayuaska to speak again with the "mytical" creatures I saw as a child. I was unaware until recently that *most* children do not actualy see thier "Imaginary Friends"
Last edited by Angry Butterfly on Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry Butterfly

Postby Don Muerto » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:53 pm

I guess I am thinking of that German teen who cut his cock and tongue off a couple of weeks back while high on Brugmansia. Never found the bits either...
Don Muerto

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:00 pm

This stuff scares me because all I hear about are the horror stories and bad trip experiences. Datura / Jimsonweed was spalshed all over our local news last week and I'm like WTF, why would anyone do it?

I guess I'm too conservative on some things. I even passed on mushrooms this year and yet I wonder what I missed. I'm sure they would make some experiences a lot more enjoyable but they are scare around here meaning I have to travel long distances to find them. And tripping 2000 miles from home and not hardly knowing people is not recommended.
Kinetic II

Postby Don Muerto » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:22 pm

'Hallucinations', and hence the effects of psychedic drugs, are widely misunderstood by the uninitiated. Unless you are at *very* high dosage with LSD, Mescaline or mushrooms, what you will see are either distortions or images overlaid the 'real' one your senses percieve. So, walls 'melt', geometric patterms lay on top of your vision like the afterimage of a bright light, sounds may doppler, spatial perception may get weird, i.e. the room expanding or contracting, etc.

The thing about the anticholinergenic, and particularly scopolamine, is that often you *truly* hallucinate and see something totally different than what is really there. So, wandering onto a freeway or out a window is an easy thing to do, whereas on acid you would still see the cars however distorted they appear. The effects can last quite a while too, hence the long term babysitting, and the potential for liver toxicity if you OD is there.

I wouldn't be too afraid of mushrooms if I were you, just follow some simple rules.

1) Don't take anything powerfully mind-altering if you are in a fucked up emotional state.
2) Have a sober, or near sober, babysitter that will stay with you no matter what kind of shit you babble.
3) Go light until you are comfortable with the substance. Jumping in for a monster trip in is not a good idea.
4) If you start to freak out, remember that it is a drug and it will wear off, your sitter should remind you of this too.
5) Make sure you send a large sample of the substance to me for 'analysis'
Don Muerto

Next

Return to Open Discussion