Tech Advice for all, and for all subjects

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby BitterDan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:11 pm

I love firefox. I have been using it for years and I seldom come across a site that I cannot use (the Yosemite Reservations system comes to mind though). IE is way too intrusive and takes up way too much of my system resources to run (considering that it's part of the Operating System). You can run both but you cannot uninstall IE, ever.

You are more likely to come across sites that are not usable in IE because IE does not conform to the W3C CSS/XHTML standards. I come across weird pages in IE that look just fine in every other browser on the planet.

I wouldn't get seamonkey unless you are willing to be a tester. It's still in beta stage and there are still bugs to get around.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:24 pm

True that!

Seamonkey is in beta but I have been using seamonkey religiously for 3 years or more with NO problems. I believe Mozilla is also in beta. Never had any problems with that either.

my only problem has been that neither programs have been able to identify spelling errors correctly. Other than that I'm happy.

Hey, does Firefox have news and mail clients?

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:34 pm

Firefox does not have news or mail clients as far as I know. I actually prefer a browser to be as slim as possible so I can choose my own news and mail programs without extra bloat. I've found the spell checker to be a little under par as well in the mozilla based browsers. I haven't used IE significantly since they incorporated spellcheck to know if theirs has a better dictionary and better guesses.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:26 pm

I have used IE forever - downloaded firefox two weeks ago and havent looked back - well rarely. I still need to figure out how to migrate over my bookmarks.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:31 pm

In IE go to file and choose export, then choose where you want to save the bookmark and what you want to save it as. Once done, in firefox go to bookmarks and choose manage bookmarks. Go to tools and choose import.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:57 am

A good thread from Diane o' thirst on LED's and incandescent lights I thought I'd post here:

viewtopic.php?t=23349

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Box Burner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:58 am

Anybody remember the infocom interactive fiction games? I have a collection of them but cannot run them. Problem is they will not run on dos 6 or higher. The oldest OS that i have is windows 95 which is dos 7. I am not sure they will run on dos 5 but they might. I would like to be able to run these because I think it will help my kids to think and use their imaginations. And also because I like them. :D So what I need is either an emulator that will run them or a copy of an older version of dos. Probably 3. They might even run under dos 2.11 don't know.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:03 am

[url=http://www.bootdisk.com]Image
[/url]

You can find all dos type disks here and some custom ones also and customize them yourself if you like and the site is heavily documented.

I've been using the site since before 2002. I believe I have been using them since 98 but I have no proof of that.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:25 am

Wait a minute.

Shouldn't those games work in windows? and xp?

You should be able to right mouse button click on the game and choose properties and change the setting of how the game should work in windows.

If I remember correctly. I haven't done it in awhile.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Box Burner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:32 am

Now that you mention it I do not believe I have tried to run them under xp. I will give that a try.

thanks for the link. :)

Box Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:02 am

Mobile Hard Drives Hit 500GB
Washington Post - 1 hour ago
Notebook PC disk storage leaps into the stratosphere today, hitting the half-terabyte mark with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies' announcement of a 500GB 2.5-inch mobile hard drive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00079.html

Mobile Hard Drives Hit 500GB
New Hitachi drive represents a giant leap forward in notebook storage.

PC World
Thursday, January 3, 2008; 12:19 AM

Notebook PC disk storage leaps into the stratosphere today, hitting the half-terabyte mark with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies' announcement of a 500GB 2.5-inch mobile hard drive.

Due out in February 2008, the $400 Travelstar 5K500 drive will dramatically expand the capacity possible in today's notebook PC designs.

Hitachi's announcement makes it the largest capacity mobile 2.5-inch hard drive. Previous high-water capacity marks for 2.5-inch drives included Fujitsu's 300GB drive and Toshiba's 320GB drive. Hitachi's jump to 500GB represents a whopping 36 percent increase in a single bound. (Hitachi also announced a 400GB version for $350.)

In order to achieve this landmark capacity, Hitachi didn't so much advance areal density as it did rethink the drive's design. Hitachi moved to a three platter design, as opposed to the typical two-platter approach for a 2.5-inch hard drive.

According to Hitachi, although the drive itself will occupy a 2.5-inch chassis, the drive mechanism inside the drive enclosure will be a bit thicker than the usual height of a drive. Typically, drives are 9.5mm in thickness; the 500GB drive will be 12.5mm, due to the additional disk platter.

The 5400rpm 500GB drive has 167GB per platter, the highest capacity per platter drive announced. Toshiba's 320GB drive packs in 160GB per platter.

Notably, the power consumption of this drive is practically the same as that of Hitachi's two-platter drive, the 5K250.

"We did not want consumers to sacrifice battery power in exchange for the increased capacity. We spent a lot of time designing the motor, and designing the electronics that control the motor and represent a large portion of the power consumption of a hard disk drive," says Larry Swezey , director of consumer and commercial hard disk drive marketing at Hitachi.

New to this drive: Hitachi's Rotational Vibration Safeguard (RVS) technology. Explains Swezey: "On desktop drives and enterprise drives, when you put several drives together, a drive tends to pick up the rotational vibration produced by the motor of the drive or drives around it. That rotational vibration can cause disk read or write errors if the heads are unable to stay on track due to the vibrations. Drives with RVS add a sensor on the drive itself to detect such rotational vibration; RVS, in turn, controls the movement of the actuator--which moves the drive's heads back and forth--to compensate for the vibration."

The need for such technology has become increasingly apparent to Hitachi as consumer notebooks have gained improved speaker technology. "What we've found is that on consumer notebooks with large speakers, music playback can induce very similar types of vibration [to that caused by rotational vibration] and introduce read or write errors. The use of a rotational vibration sensor can help prevent those errors when the user is playing loud music, for example."

The 500GB 2.5-inch mobile drive provides the grounds for a seismic shift in how notebooks--and other devices that rely on 2.5-inch drives--can be perceived.   Current notebooks offer much of the power and capabilities of desktop PCs, but have been constrained by the hard disk drive's size. "I look at this as a new product category, syas Swezey. "We thought this was a good evolution of the mobile drive to meet the changing needs of consumers who are buying notebooks."

One notebook manufacturer, Asus, has already jumped on board. The Taiwanese notebook manufacturer is co-announcing with Hitachi that it will offer the 500GB drive in a striped RAID configuration to provide 1 terabyte of storage. "Asus will be the first in the world with a 1TB notebook," says Swezey.

Another benefit of such a high-capacity, 2.5-inch drive? "We now offer a way for manufacturers to migrate from using 3.5-inch drives to 2.5-inch drives in consumer electronics devices and computers," says Swezey. Desktop manufacturers who want to go to a smaller form factor chassis or DVR manufacturers who want to integrate a drive can do so, "all while staying at the same capacity as with a 3.5-inch drive, but at a lower power draw."

In addition to aiming the 500GB drive squarely at notebook manufacturers, Hitachi is also pushing the drive for digital video recorder applications. The company is offering a second version of the drive, dubbed the Travelstar E5K500, where the "E" stands for Enhanced Availability (EA), a Hitachi approach to optimizing the drive for DVR applications.

Physically, the drive is the same. Hitachi makes some tweaks to the drive's firmware, so the drive can spin 24/7 for DVR and streaming applications, or for use in enterprise servers. The 500GB drive could hold up to 500 hours of video, depending upon the audio and video compression technologies used.

"In the EA drive, you don't want it to shutdown; you want it to be constantly available. We do firmware changes, and we do additional testing to make sure the drive can handle always-available 24/7 operation, versus shutting it down," explains Swezey. "You wouldn't want to use an EA drive in a notebook, because your battery life would be terrible: The drive would never go into power savings mode."

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Plastic G'zus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:21 pm

So I have one... let's say I want to write a program that takes input from a couple hundred switches, and outputs to a couple hundred single-color LEDs. Is there a relatively simple hardware solution for this?

Have you figured this one out yet? Arduino might be what you're looking for. As for input, what about a grid of IR trip switches. You could probably get all you want for free by making friends with someone who installs overhead doors. Every time they replace a garage door opener they also replace the "eye" that keeps the door from crushing babies and just throw the old ones away.
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.
Plastic G'zus

Postby BitterDan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Oh yeah I forgot that I was going to get back to you on that Dork. Thanks for the reminder Plastic.

Ok from what you described you will probably be best off using a microchip (or rather a series of microchips) with the programs that you want. These microchips usually require you to know BASIC (which is VERY simple, I learned it when I was 11 years old) as well as having a chip burner and compiler software.

The compiler software is there because the actual microchip does not process BASIC but rather it processes Machine Language (the reason for this is that the processing times would be much too long if the chip had to interpret BASIC).

You will need probably several chips for input and output. One set of chips will interpret where the user is "standing" or "putting pressure" and send that signal back to the other set of chips for outputting the light signal.

Additionally, for the effect you are describing, you will need to set up EVERY LED light in the system on a Sine Wave pattern. You do this by using 4 to 8 resistors for each LED light (this is why you'll need multiple microchips or one really big one). Each of these resistors would have a different resistance rating hence making the lights less (or more) bright with each consecutive cycle.

Here is a link to a site where a guy makes a Coffee Table that is similar (though not the same) to what you have described.

http://www.becausewecan.org/LED_Coffee_Table_The_Wave

I hope this helps,
BD
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Plastic G'zus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:45 pm

Arduino is a cheap, open-source micro controller platform for interactive displays. This is exactly the sort of thing it was designed for.
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.
Plastic G'zus

Postby Dork » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm

BitterDan wrote:Additionally, for the effect you are describing, you will need to set up EVERY LED light in the system on a Sine Wave pattern. You do this by using 4 to 8 resistors for each LED light (this is why you'll need multiple microchips or one really big one). Each of these resistors would have a different resistance rating hence making the lights less (or more) bright with each consecutive cycle.

Couldn't I use PWM to dim them? Assuming the chip I use is beefy enough to handle controlling that. The Arduino looks good!

As for the sensor - a grid of IR sensors would work, but it might have trouble processing multiple people standing in line. Dust could be an issue as well. Somewhere I have a bookmark of a good/cheap way to make pressure sensors, which would be good because it would catch people hopping while an IR sensor might not.
Dork

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Not changing topics:

Box Burner wrote:Now that you mention it I do not believe I have tried to run them under xp. I will give that a try.

thanks for the link. :)

What was the end result?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Box Burner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Had to find them first. I had them packed away. But unfortunately no luck. The set is dated 1991. Which is I believe DOS 3. There was a format change from dos3 to dos4. and another from dos5 to 6. Compatability mode in xp only goes back to win95 which is dos7.

So I am still looking for a copy of dos 3, dos 4.2 (dos 4.0 sucks big time), or dos 5. I have windows 3.1 but since this is a dos based game it is not needed.

Box Burner

Postby Box Burner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Have another question.

I have some songs in mp3 format that segue into one another. No matter where I play them from I get a little hesitation as it changes from one to the other. Have used Nero to burn them to CD both as mp3 and converting to run on any cd player. I always have it remove the 2 second pause between tracks which it does, but there is still a fraction of a second hesitation when it changes tracks. Is there any way to fix this?

Box Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Nero has or should have a checkbox that allows for no space between songs.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Box Burner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm

yes it does. nd it does remove the space. But there is still noticeable hesitation between tracks. Very frustrationg. :?

Box Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm

does it also give you a time of space option?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Box Burner wrote:So I am still looking for a copy of dos 3, dos 4.2 (dos 4.0 sucks big time), or dos 5. I have windows 3.1 but since this is a dos based game it is not needed.

I'm pretty sure I can dig that up.. I don't think I kept the books though. Can ya handle the 3 disk install? :lol:

Most likely I would be gettin ya DOS 5 or 6.2 from MS unless you really want me to dig up the IBM or Novell versions.

No you can't have my 300 baud DCAT external modem. :twisted:

PM me if ya still need it.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Box Burner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:13 pm

DVD Burner wrote:does it also give you a time of space option?

yes. Tried that too. I am gonna play with it some more I am sure there is a way, I just haven't found it yet.

Box Burner

Postby Ranger Genius » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Box Burner wrote:yes it does. nd it does remove the space. But there is still noticeable hesitation between tracks. Very frustrationg. :?

There's probably a bit of dead air at the end of the first track. Try something like MPTrim (which I think I got on Major Geeks) to cut the end of the track or the beginning of the first one.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 am

Ok, here comes another question. I'm looking for work here in the Cornhusker state. I've hit the local job boards like Cornhuskerhelpwanted.com and the state's Workforce Development site. I've also hit the big boards like Monster, Career Builder, and Yahoo Hot Jobs. I also found Indeed.com and got on Linked In. But here's my question. Are there any other online resources that any of you could recommend that I might have missed? National search tools, personal networking sites...anything that might be helpful that also might not be well known?

Any advice would certainly be welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Dork » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am

I've gotten most of my leads through craigslist, linkedin (find as many links as you can!) and through things like profession-specific discussion boards. Cornhuskerhelpwanted.com is actually a national board. They just have different domain names and radio commercials for every market.

None of them have led to jobs for me, but I've found a few leads by simply searching for local software companies and checking their websites for job listings.
Dork

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:49 pm

linkedin and craig's list work great for me.

I got a few jobs in Montreal through craig's list.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:37 am

Intel To Sell Apple MacBook Air Chip To PC Makers

http://www.informationweek.com/news/sho ... =206101437

The highly miniaturized version of the Core 2 Duo made by Intel specifically for the MacBook Air could end up spurring a raft of Windows-based competitors.

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek
January 31, 2008 07:00 PM

Other PC makers are reportedly looking to slim down their laptops like Apple did this month with its MacBook Air.

Intel (NSDQ: INTC) has reportedly sold a version of the miniaturized Core 2 Duo processor in Apple's recently released MacBook Air to other manufactures, which could then build Windows-based competitors to the ultrathin and light notebook.

Two PC manufacturers have already signed on to use the custom-designed chip, and products powered by the processor are expected to be released soon, CNET and tech magazine PC Advisor reported Wednesday, both quoting a source familiar with the plans.

An Intel spokesman declined to give any sales details but did note that Apple is the only hardware manufacturer that sells a laptop based on this specific Core 2 Duo processor.

"If other OEMs are interested in this 65-nanometer Core 2 Duo processor, we are welcome to talk with them," an Intel spokesman told InformationWeek.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs unveiled the Air this month at the Macworld conference in San Francisco. The thinness of the notebook was achieved in part by a miniaturized 65-nanometer Core 2 Duo processor that came from Intel's older Merom line. The processor is 60% smaller than the typical Merom chip and uses less power while delivering comparable speeds. The processor, however, is significantly slower than the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors used in other new notebooks. Performance is not necessarily an issue with Apple as it customizes its operating system to maximize performance out of any processor it uses.

Nevertheless, the size and weight of the Air, which has a 13.3-inch display and full-size keyboard, placed the machine in a class of its own. The notebook weights 3 pounds and is three-quarters of an inch thick at the hinge, tapering to 0.16 of an inch at the opposite side.

Intel is working on smaller chips for ultramobile PCs and handheld devices, including a processor that's built using 45-nanometer process technology. But miniaturizing the Merom processor gave Intel a product that would fit Apple's slim design for the MacBook Air and deliver the necessary horsepower.

In making the Air thinner than other notebooks, Apple also left out a DVD drive, adding instead software called "remote disc" that can recognize an optical drive on a PC or Mac computer through a wireless network. Tapping into those machines, an Air user can install software from a CD or DVD.

The MacBook Air design has also caused some frustration among Mac users who want to use software from older Macs to install the sleek new laptop's operating system. The installation media that comes with other Macs can't be used to install "Leopard" on the MacBook Air, Apple said Wednesday.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:46 pm

This morning I accidentally deleted the whole page instead of the one e-mail I was trying to delete.
Is there any way to get them back ?
I use yahoo.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:20 pm

it should be still in the trash.

check the trash.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion