Tech Advice for all, and for all subjects

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:No, but my experiences with computers started in 1985 0r 6 with DOS

Much of what I have learn has come from my brother in law an IBM techie

The web (of which almost every problem has been written of and is many times the most up to date info) always do a search on the internet and you can find a resolution.

I don't know HTML and the knowledge is rarely needed to make a website since wysiwyg has been developed.

The only thing I found out about computers is don't buy a windows based computer

get a MAC!

AIIZ

I'm sort of considering switching to MAC.........tough choice for me......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

I just ordered 2 1Gb Ram "sticks" from Tigerdirect.........that's what Crucial said was my max, but, tiger was 20 bucks cheaper and not tax or shipping.........

yeehaw, I hope that is the "final solution" (for AZ's benefit).........

I did the "reset" and, that helped a lot.

thanks again.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:Do not take the Blue Dram!

250mb of memory is not enough for xp. yes they will sell you the computer with it. I would max it out. It should take at least 1GB.

A good thing to do is do a little tune up of start up programs. You have too many running in the background if all the memory left is 61K.

Login as your admin>
go to your start up on the task bar>
click on Run>
Type in- msconfig >
a new dialog box appears and choose the "Services" tab>
click on the lower left corner- hide all microsoft services. Then Post what you find!

Meanwhile>

click the "Startup" tab.

Post here what you find listed.

Ideally, you only want services and startups that you need running in the background like your virus detector and windows services (there are some windows services you need as well, but that's a little more complicated). You don't need adobe reader, java help or many application auto updates along with other programs that will take up memory. They'll start if and when needed, but you might just have to wait a few seconds for them to load.

Let me know what you find?

AIIZ
this is what I speaking about.

Do you need to have adobe reader loaded, or java helper and many other non-essential programs running in the background taking up memory and slowing down your systems.

A free ms registry cleaner and tune-up is available from microsoft at onecare.live.com to speed and clean up dead registry entries, lost files and some temp files that can't be cleaned with the typical windows clean.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:08 pm

So -

upgraded to a new laptop, installled all my pilfered software like adobe acrobat pro 7.0

went from Xp 32mhz
to Vista at 64mhz

Adobe will not print PDF from the print screen like it used too, nor will it "create .pdf" from file(s) I need this to publish reports and proposals. Any ideas about patches? I cnt sem to find any on google or at adobe.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby stargeezer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:11 am

ygmir wrote:I just ordered 2 1Gb Ram "sticks" from Tigerdirect.........that's what Crucial said was my max, but, tiger was 20 bucks cheaper and not tax or shipping.........

I think you will be surprised how much faster your computer will run without all the memory swaps.

Enjoy
If you want to reach for the stars, you better have long arms!
stargeezer

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 pm

mdmf007 wrote:So -

upgraded to a new laptop, installled all my pilfered software like adobe acrobat pro 7.0

went from Xp 32mhz
to Vista at 64mhz

Adobe will not print PDF from the print screen like it used too, nor will it "create .pdf" from file(s) I need this to publish reports and proposals. Any ideas about patches? I cnt sem to find any on google or at adobe.

later
you will need to upgrade to 8.1 it seems
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 pm

went from Xp 32mhz
to Vista at 64mhz

later

You don't really mean "mhz" in your post. You probably mean "bit" when it comes to 32 vs. 64.

Going to Vista may have been a bad idea. I have to use Vista (required to run a particular tool), and a lot of of things have broken, including all printing for some older printers. God, I hate Micro$oft (I use a Mac for most things, but not all).

There is a 64-bit version of XP, BTW.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby SilverOrange » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:02 am

went from Xp 32mhz
to Vista at 64mhz

later

I ended up with the 64 bit version of Vista. It sucks because a lot of programs haven't been updated to be compatible with it. There is an option to use a 32 bit version of Vista (should be in your start up window) which I ended up using, at least for now, just to avoid the incompatibilty issues. I don't mind Vista so much after two months of ripping my fucking hair out and countless hours spent getting everything to run smoothly. Have fun.
SilverOrange

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 am

you can't use over 2.3gb memory without 64Bit making 32bit useless for graphics and intense gaming.

I use a MAC as well and haven't had a problem with malware or viruses for over a year. It's faster then an equavalent windows and made all in the good ol' USA
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm.
US made computers lacking built-in chinese spyware.
Mmmmmm
gyre

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:35 pm

my bad

bits not mhz
mdmf007

Postby Tamino » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Love my Mac. The new MacBook Pros run Windows 7 faster than an equivalent PC (Dell) so you get the best of both worlds with bootcamp.

Macs are designed in US but the motherboards are assembled in the far east! :(
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tamino

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Tamino wrote:Macs are designed in US but the motherboards are assembled in the far east! :(
I'm not sure where they are assembled but hey made with 100% american parts. They say so when you ask their customer services.
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Essentially no complex computer system is made with parts from any one country. Even software is global. It's a fact of life in the 21st century.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:49 am

hi all,
well, my new RAM memory modules came in.......(1GB x2)

can anyone give me a few pointers about changing them?
I know static electricity is an issue, maybe easy tips to avoid that?
anything I should do?
I know I should blow out all the dust inside with compressed air while the case is open........

thanks
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby wedeliver » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Tamino wrote:Love my Mac. ...........:(

Mac users. Get a room. I am sure you are dreaming of jobs getting that 'ol joy port working better, aye?

ygmir wrote:hi all,

anything I should do?
I know I should blow out all the dust inside with compressed air while the case is open........

thanks

Especially blow out all the fans, power supply fan, cpu fan, case fans, etc. they heat up whith dust, can cause the machine to act funny and eventually fail.

You want a "source" to ground, back in the day we would leave the computer pluged in and either attach a wrist strip to the case or I would just work with my arm on the case so I was grounded. So I guess if you unplugged the Power Supply from the MB (and turn off the power switch on the supply) that would still be a good way to make a ground.

Check the RAM mods with the old ones and make sure they are the same type. If there is additional open slots you might leave in the old ram. If the module is not identical it won't work. And there are a number of different types, don't force it or you'll need a new MB

Its not gonna help with your IE or Flash issues though, and even low memory errors you received might not be the fault of your actual memory. that said more RAM is always a good thing.

And, of course, you will make a backup of all your hard work, email etc prior to doing this project. If you make the backup you won't need it, if you don't make a backup, you will need it. computer law.
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

wedeliver wrote:
Tamino wrote:Love my Mac. ...........:(

Mac users. Get a room. I am sure you are dreaming of jobs getting that 'ol joy port working better, aye?

anything I should do?

thanks

Especially blow out all the fans, power supply fan, cpu fan, case fans, etc. they heat up whith dust, can cause the machine to act funny and eventually fail.

You want a "source" to ground, back in the day we would leave the computer pluged in and either attach a wrist strip to the case or I would just work with my arm on the case so I was grounded. So I guess if you unplugged the Power Supply from the MB (and turn off the power switch on the supply) that would still be a good way to make a ground.

Check the RAM mods with the old ones and make sure they are the same type. If there is additional open slots you might leave in the old ram. If the module is not identical it won't work. And there are a number of different types, don't force it or you'll need a new MB

Its not gonna help with your IE or Flash issues though, and even low memory errors you received might not be the fault of your actual memory. that said more RAM is always a good thing.

And, of course, you will make a backup of all your hard work, email etc prior to doing this project. If you make the backup you won't need it, if you don't make a backup, you will need it. computer law.

thanks WD......I got a matched pair, 'cause, that's what a lot of folks said to do......I have two RAM slots, so, they said to put both in at once........
I went to two web sites, and the tech at Tigerdirect, and, they all agreed my machine has two RAM ports and takes the "DDR" style.......I will compare them, though.

I will blow everything out.
I'm somewhat cofused by your two static methods:
do I leave it plugged in and ground myself to the case, or, undo the power supply and unplug it?

I will do a backup of info.......I actually did that when it started acting up, in case it totally crashed.......

So:
if I dissapear, you'll know I did something wrong.........
I may try it in the next few days......

thanks again
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby wedeliver » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm

ygmir wrote:......I got a matched pair, 'cause, that's what a lot of folks said to do......I have two RAM slots, so, they said to put both in at once........
I went to two web sites, and the tech at Tigerdirect, and, they all agreed my machine has two RAM ports and takes the "DDR" style.......I will compare them, though.

I will blow everything out.
I'm somewhat cofused by your two static methods:
do I leave it plugged in and ground myself to the case, or, undo the power supply and unplug it?

I will do a backup of info.......I actually did that when it started acting up, in case it totally crashed.......

So:
if I dissapear, you'll know I did something wrong.........
I may try it in the next few days......

thanks again

Yes your ram comes in pairs.

Most power supplies allow power through to the mother board for the wake functions. If you can't tell and your power supply does not have a switch on it, then I thought you could in this order

1. unplug power supply from wall
2. unplug the power supply from where it plugs into the mother board
3. plug the power supply into the wall and you now have a safe source to ground and no power can get to the mother board while you are working on it.
4. install the new ram,
5. unplug from wall,
6. reattach the power supply to the mother board
7. plug back into wall.

As long as your are touching the bare metal case you will be grounded.

Ram mods are very similiar, I have received wrong ram in the past and it just won't fit.

I missed what kind of machine you have if you posted it above.

Also, there might be a little fan on your video card.

good luck
wedeliver

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I am thinking of presenting some theme-specific poetry one night, probably early in the festival. Monday? Tuesday?
A fire-side reading! A headlamp would be handy, although some of my hard-core savages think that would ruin the mood. Also, a low-key PA system. Any suggestions?

We probably need lighting for the elements of the obstacle course. Are battery-powered floodlights available anywhere? I picked up some solar-powered lights from OSH, but they're very weak.
Ugly Dougly

Postby wedeliver » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I am thinking of presenting some theme-specific poetry one night, probably early in the festival. Monday? Tuesday?
A fire-side reading! A headlamp would be handy, although some of my hard-core savages think that would ruin the mood. Also, a low-key PA system. Any suggestions?

We probably need lighting for the elements of the obstacle course. Are battery-powered floodlights available anywhere? I picked up some solar-powered lights from OSH, but they're very weak.

car batteries run car headlights very well.
wedeliver

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Real sexy.

On the other hand...

Ugly Dougly

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:12 pm

So heres another job possibility for the tech savvy -

(I have to admit though the last gig I posted here is on hold - this may not pan out as well.)

In short - one of my clients wishes for us to build a server farm for them. it is to be built as "Green" as possible with heat scavenging to be sold / traded / given away to nearby businesses or residences.

Now before I go hire another firm to actually design this thing I needed input from our BM Geek Army with some input so I dont look like a total asshat going into this.

If anyone wishes to answer a few questions I would appreciate it.

thanks again - see yuou all in19 days. WOOT!
mdmf007

Postby wedeliver » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:31 pm

how many racks, how many cpu's

is it a cluster fuck or web fuck?

do you need equipment and setup or just setup?
wedeliver

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:16 pm

a guy here locally just had, and may still have, a bunch of mac servers he was selling........
I can check if you need that stuff.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:32 pm

ygmir wrote:a guy here locally just had, and may still have, a bunch of mac servers he was selling........
I can check if you need that stuff.

Client has specified 4000 TB, 40 blades per rack, 100 racks.
mdmf007

Postby wedeliver » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:37 am

good luck
wedeliver

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:31 am

anything I should do?

thanks
I hope you dusted out the computer before removing the OLD memory?

So how's the performance?

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:

anything I should do?

thanks
I hope you dusted out the computer before removing the OLD memory?

So how's the performance?

AIIZ

I will blow it out with air and vacuum before removal......
I've delayed the change over because I'm doing some important stuff on the machine now, and, can't afford to have it crash or lose info........

but, good point,
thanks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby stargeezer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Be careful how you dust it out. Air moving across non conductive materials causes static electricity. A vacuum hose builds up a charge real bad. Cleaning is a good thing, but please be careful.
If you want to reach for the stars, you better have long arms!
stargeezer

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:31 pm

stargeezer wrote:Be careful how you dust it out. Air moving across non conductive materials causes static electricity. A vacuum hose builds up a charge real bad. Cleaning is a good thing, but please be careful.
Oh yeah, don't vacuum unless its a non-static vacuum made for electronics.

Best, never vacuum, Just Blow it once or twice a year!

Make sure you blow out the power supply real good from both sides.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion