Tech Advice for all, and for all subjects

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby BitterDan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:12 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Anyone know of a program shareware or fee that you can use to resize photos enmasse?

I am trying to upload a ton of photos to a website with size and resolution constraints and am tired of doing them one by one. Was hoping to drop whole folders.

thanks for any thoughts

I believe that flickr has tools for resizing and rotating.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby MozyBonz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Try this one I think its a free down load. I use it to resize for email.

http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition

MozyBonz

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Ha !!!

I discovered I already had GIF stuff in my Adobe photoshop program that came with my computer.
sweet !!!!!!!!!

Now I have something else that I will probably not get around to doing. 8)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Computers are the Devil.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby fciron » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:03 pm

I use Picasa, which is a free download from Google.

You can export batches of pictures at any different sizes.
fciron

Postby Box Burner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Is there any difference between CD-R and CD+R disks?
also
Is there any difference between DVD-R and DVD+R disks?

I have used both but wonder if there is any difference or if one is better than the other.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

sorry to interup BoxBurner. Just needed to post this quick.

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm at work at the moment and wated to post this real quick before I forgot.

cheers!

[Photoshop CS4 to Favor Vista for 64-Bit

Adobe's latest upgrade offers support for massive amounts of memory,

but not on Mac OS X.

Neil McAllister
Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14412 ... ticle.html

For graphic design professionals it's that time again. Adobe is readying a new version of its Creative Suite, the software bundle that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and other applications for print and Web design. Only this time there's a twist: The new version of Photoshop will support 64-bit memory addressing for the first time -- but only if you're running Windows.

Simply put, more bits means you can access more memory, which means you can work with bigger files. By taking advantage of 64-bit CPUs, Adobe is making it possible for designers and photo manipulators to work with really, really big images at high resolutions. Think posters, advertising displays, or even billboards.

So why not on Macs? As it turns out, Photoshop for Mac OS is written using older APIs that don't allow access to all the latest Mac OS X features. To bring the software up to speed will require a total rewrite, a time-consuming process that could leave Mac users in the cold for some time.

It won't be the first time that Mac-based graphic designers have looked to Adobe with unease. Illustrator 7, released in 1997, was the first version of Adobe's drawing software that offered the same feature set on both Mac OS and Windows. Given Apple's troubles at the time -- Gil Amelio was still CEO, and Apple had wasted untold millions on repeated, failed attempts to reinvent its aging OS -- many in the graphic arts community wondered openly whether the PC port of Illustrator 7 signaled a wholesale move to Windows as Adobe's platform of choice.

It didn't, of course, and in hindsight the idea sounds a little crazy. Designers like their Macs, period. Adobe would be nuts to shoot itself in the foot by abandoning the platform, no matter how fragile Apple's market position appeared to be.

But stranger things have happened. Look at QuarkXPress. Despite being the leading software for print layout professionals -- another almost exclusively Mac-based market -- it took Quark three years to release a version that supported Mac OS X. Fed up with Quark's foot-dragging, many design shops jumped ship to Adobe InDesign (and others are still transitioning).

Designers had an alternative to Illustrator 7, too: Macromedia Freehand. It wasn't as popular, but it existed. And that's the thing; there really is no professional alternative to Photoshop.

Will the extra power of Photoshop CS4 for Windows cause designers to jump ship? It seems unlikely. Only a very tiny segment of Photoshop users works with files big enough to warrant 64-bit capability -- and designers still like their Macs.

But then again, I can't help but be stricken by how much today's Windows platform gives graphic designers an experience comparable to that on the Mac. It really is almost the same on either system -- so does platform allegiance still matter in the design world? Or, at the end of the day, is getting the work done what matters most? Sound off in the PC World Community Comments.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby BitterDan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Box Burner wrote:Is there any difference between CD-R and CD+R disks?
also

I have used both but wonder if there is any difference or if one is better than the other.

There is no such thing as CD+R there is only CD-R (dash-R not minus-R) and CD-RW. A CD-R is writeable only once (though not necessarily at the same time) and a CD-RW is a re-writable CD.

For DVD's there is both +r and -r (and also +rw and -rw). Basically DVD-R is the first generation of writable DVD. The +R style came out in 2002 and is more reliable with better error management.
BitterDan

Postby ibdave » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:35 pm

BitterDan wrote:
Box Burner wrote:Is there any difference between CD-R and CD+R disks?
also

There is no such thing as CD+R there is only CD-R (dash-R not minus-R) and CD-RW. A CD-R is writeable only once (though not necessarily at the same time) and a CD-RW is a re-writable CD.

For DVD's there is both +r and -r (and also +rw and -rw). Basically DVD-R is the first generation of writable DVD. The +R style came out in 2002 and is more reliable with better error management.

If you say so..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm

My father in law want to know how he can print his photo off his cell phone..

I use mine for a phone.. So have no idea..
unjonharley

Postby Bin Noddin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:09 pm

unjonharley wrote:My father in law want to know how he can print his photo off his cell phone..

I use mine for a phone.. So have no idea..

I e-mail the photos to myself (phone to computer), save them in a folder and then use IrfanView to view and print the photo.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby BitterDan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah, you should be able to email them to yourself via your phone or get a USB connector for it. The vids are typically held in MPEG standard so your computer should have no problem reading them.
BitterDan

Photocopy Tip

Postby gyre » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:28 pm

If you photocopy your head while wearing mirrored sunglasses, you can travel back in time.

Usually blows all the breakers and browns out the city though.
gyre

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:05 pm

BitterDan wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:Anyone know of a program shareware or fee that you can use to resize photos enmasse?

I am trying to upload a ton of photos to a website with size and resolution constraints and am tired of doing them one by one. Was hoping to drop whole folders.

thanks for any thoughts

I believe that flickr has tools for resizing and rotating.

I know of only one program in which you can do batch sizing: Photoshop's side kick: Adobe Bridge.

Look around to see if you can find an old 5.0 or later version and buy the upgrade for around $200 or less. It will upgrade to the full version without even installing the old version by prompting you to insert it or typing in the serial number.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Re: Photocopy Tip

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 pm

gyre wrote:If you photocopy your head while wearing mirrored sunglasses, you can travel back in time.

Usually blows all the breakers and browns out the city though.

Even better trick - I have a few Gmail accounts, like many people do and one day I decided to forward account "A" to "B" and "B" to "A" to see what happens. I was able to crash a few servers apparently as my message of "Test" bounced back at intergalactic speeds. Apparently Gmail had not thought of that - until then.

Anyways they emailed me and politely asked me not to do that again.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:54 am

MdM
I would expect no less of you.

Stop that, though.
I'm still having trouble breathing.

I just finished watching the history of the webnet called Downloads.
All of those people with their fancy ideas and here comes MdM who plugs it all in backwards and crashes everything...!!!!

Just imagine what you could do if you applied yourself!!
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 am

mdmf007 wrote:
Even better trick - I have a few Gmail accounts, like many people do and one day I decided to forward account "A" to "B" and "B" to "A" to see what happens. I was able to crash a few servers apparently as my message of "Test" bounced back at intergalactic speeds. Apparently Gmail had not thought of that - until then.

This is still cracking me up!
It makes me lol out loud every time I think about it!
gyre

Postby fciron » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:29 am

gyre wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:

I thought Google was supposed to be smart. :roll:
fciron

Postby thirt33n » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:26 am

gyre wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:

Whatever you do gyre, don't lol silently to yourself or you might crash your own server. :roll:
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 pm

I wonder if Google has plugged that loophole yet?

Gyre - youd think that in Beta testing someone would have thought of that - but you never know. Every configuration and setting tweak takes a lot of manhours.

I might just give it a try again.

later all ( if the bay area grows dark and the server farm implodes I had nothing to do with it)
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:50 pm

My fiancee and I are looking at buying a digital voice recorder. She needs something to record project team meetings and I want something that would let me record class lectures since my note taking skills are rough. And of course I don't want to spend small fortune on one either. I've been looking at reviews now for a couple of days and while normally I'd have a good idea of what I should get...now I'm as confused as ever. Could anyone offer suggestions?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm

I haven't looked extensively, but the best deals I saw were music players with record ability.
Look for one that takes sd cards or equal.
I found a very tiny one under $100 like that.
There are hard drives too.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:18 pm

mdmf007 wrote:I wonder if Google has plugged that loophole yet?

Gyre - youd think that in Beta testing someone would have thought of that - but you never know. Every configuration and setting tweak takes a lot of manhours.

I might just give it a try again.

later all ( if the bay area grows dark and the server farm implodes I had nothing to do with it)

I used to specialize in doing things so original that no one had thought up any rules against it.

In high school, I had a principal who would announce the new rules without any explanation.
After a bit of this, everyone knew he was demented.
gyre

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Just want to share some freeware to you all. As you know the beast, Microsoft, has been dominating the office software industry, i.e. office 98-2008. It charges outrageous prices to purchase (though it once was one of the least expensive suites).

There is now OpenOffice.org, Sun's (the Java co. that Microsoft tried to put out of Business like so many others) funded open source office suite that you can download for free. It works with all MS office files except Outlook- the most expensive organizer in the world. I like the Web designing program, Impress. It uses real java, instead of MS program that uses a corrupted form of java that only works on IE.

I know I won't be buying another MS Office suite again and they are now up to $700 or more for the complete suite.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Sorry if this has been covered, but I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. I have a iBook and access to a turntable. (unfortunately the reciever needs to be replaced.) I have vinyl that's not out on cd. I wanna make music files. How do I do this? Is there cheap or free software? How do I hook up the machines?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:10 pm

I don't know of an Ibook adapter. You should be able to find something on that subject on the ibook web site. If you have a computer, you will need a sound card with stereo jack connectors on it. I've never used one, but I have heard good things about the interface edition software. They can take out scratches, pops and the good things that make vinyl that sound that it is.

On another note, has anyone noticed alot of bandwith activity on their network adapter lately, There been a virus that is going around lately and most people haven't been able to detect it with anti virus software. Google and a few popular web site like myspace and others like that have been hacked. Right now, there isn't much data on it.

Signs to look for as I said above.
Connections and web pages loading slow.
Bandwith less then 10% of usual
Network adapter showing alot of activity even when you aren't doing anything- be mindful of updates that occur when you first boot up that will show activity- but that should stop with in half hour or less.
Look for network adapters that use tunneling. ie, teredo, peer to peer Ras connections.

I noticed a peer to peer tunneling adapter running. Check it with a route tracking software that revealed a connection to London, England. My Machine was someone bot sending out emails and things I don't even what to know about. Hope I don't a visit from Homeland Security.

And always a good sign of being hacked- system restore failure!!!

Causes are yet to be discovered, but most likely it emails, trusted web sites once on your computer it will infect removable media like CD's and usb cards and other flash sticks.

If you have the above symtoms, run an off-site virus scanner that many of the big anti virus companies have. onecare.live, symantec or trend. If any of those don't not detect anything and you still the above symtoms, but to reinstall the OS fresh with wiping out everything.

Autoplay should alway be disabled, since autoplay has been found to be reactivated on machine where it has been turn off. Turn it off in the Regedit not just on the properties of the device. Autoplay just reinfects the system using a removable storage device launch the process over again.

Since no Virus checker has proven to have found it. It might be one of our governments devices that have been leaked out or stolen in many of those FBI laptops that disappeared in the last two years.

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but I skimmed as much of this thread as I could. I have a iBook and access to a turntable. (unfortunately the reciever needs to be replaced.) I have vinyl that's not out on cd. I wanna make music files. How do I do this? Is there cheap or free software? How do I hook up the machines?

There are a few things you need to do. First, you will need a 3.5 millimeter male to 2 RCA male stereo cable which you can get at radioshack for about 6.00. The RCA jacks of the cable goes to the turntable, the 3.5 mm jack of the cable will go to your mac. all you will need is software. I suggest you download Audacity. it is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
It's a pretty straight forward program

If you dont want to do that then you can always go this route:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 pm

Kinetic V wrote:My fiancee and I are looking at buying a digital voice recorder. She needs something to record project team meetings and I want something that would let me record class lectures since my note taking skills are rough. And of course I don't want to spend small fortune on one either. I've been looking at reviews now for a couple of days and while normally I'd have a good idea of what I should get...now I'm as confused as ever. Could anyone offer suggestions?

have you tried using your cell phone as a recorder? I do it all the time.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm

DVD Burner wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:My fiancee and I are looking at buying a digital voice recorder. She needs something to record project team meetings and I want something that would let me record class lectures since my note taking skills are rough. And of course I don't want to spend small fortune on one either. I've been looking at reviews now for a couple of days and while normally I'd have a good idea of what I should get...now I'm as confused as ever. Could anyone offer suggestions?

have you tried using your cell phone as a recorder? I do it all the time.

That might work...but neither one of us have cell phones out here! Amazing in this day and age. Plus she wants to be able to copy the audio track to a server for wider distribution or to incorporate it into a Sharepoint presentation.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby stargeezer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:46 pm

I just got roped into making some DVDs showing the local history. Does anybody have a video editor / dvd burner that they really like? I need to be able to make a jpeg slideshow, join it to some mpegs and then add an audio track. There are a lot of packages out there of varying price, but it is hard to tell if any have all the features I want. I would like to know if anybody has a package that they really like, or could point me in a good direction.

Thanks much
If you want to reach for the stars, you better have long arms!
stargeezer

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion